Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

War with the elves of The Dyed Forest - Yea or Nay?

To arms! Death to all friends of nature!
- 32 (66.7%)
Indifferent
- 4 (8.3%)
Let peace return, we've humiliated them enough.
- 12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress RISE AGAIN!!!☼  (Read 152005 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress☼
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2014, 03:32:18 am »

I'm thinking earth mage. I think their combat style involvess geting up close and personal. Even if that's not true, still earth mage. Should be fun to rp since we are surounded by earth.

Then an Earth Mage you shall be! As well as our magic squad leader since you'll be our first proper mage.

EDIT: Upon inspection, it appears that earth mages are indeed built around basically getting in the enemy's face and swiftly removing them without making as big a mess as everyone else, with rock bolts seeming to act kinda like a stun grenade and their auras being meant to paralyze (and thus allow a swift fatal shot to the head.) Kinda the jack of fuck-all of the elemental mages really.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2014, 04:55:16 am »

From the diary of Vexxy the Crocodile:

"Some magic-fueled arsehole named Udib insulted poor Urist! I tried to hit him in the face, but that smooth-talker fled immidiately. What a prick!

I'm still sorry about my little raptors fate, but there's no time to drown my melancholy in ale. Splint fulfilled my request and sent miners to carve out a little place for our organisation.

Asteth calls it "Brotherhood". When I was leaving, he told me that I was in charge of it's Riverrun chapter.

A while ago, I had a nice idea on how to strengthen our position in Riverrun. Ralush the Asp seems to be quite popular among local residents because of his hope-giving aspect, and he proved to be listening to the needs of the people. Lim, on the other hand, is considered to be a guardian of so much hated politicians. By proclaiming Ralush a patron of our Brotherhood, we may earn trust of the common people, as well of those who faithfully worship him."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:57:40 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2014, 05:27:10 am »

14th Obsidian, 142

Dumbfuck drow finally wised up and did a loop to find a wagon-friendly route. And here I thought they were just as dense as elves tend to be!

15th Obsidian, 142

Vexxy was absolutely ecstatic when Erib brought her this fuck-all sized lizard she bought from the drow. Turns out the things also take exceptionally well to combat training, so that's good. She was considerably less thrilled when she saw the black caiman that was let loose in the fort.

And then everyone saw the asp following it around and started muttering a bunch of superstitious bullshit about Rulush.

23rd Obsidian, 142

Kobold scout was spotted today, and was promptly shot to shit by the drow shadowsnipers and mauled by one of the bears. Got away in the end, somehow managed to just... Well, disappear. Dunno how it did it but the grumpy look of a bear that got robbed of a kill was enough to tell me that's what happened.

25th Obsidian, 142

I don't fucking believe it. That crackpot actually figured out a way to do it.

28th Obsidian, 142

Alright, now I'm fucking scared. How did that smurf even talk to the drow in the first place!? IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A MOUTH!!!

I followed it later today when it was meeting with the drow caravan master and it... It even used the mayor's office like it should have... It's never even been there. I don't... Oh god. They're smarter than we thought. We... We gotta get rid of those things somehow! I'm gonna throw that fucking cage in the river to drown the little fuckers.

3rd Granite, 143

Can't sleep. The smurfs will eat me if I do. Cage is gone. Sabotage? Possibly the drow. Can't attack, might start a war. Sent The Paints to find the cage, turned up shit. No-one saw it get removed, not even Nidor.

5th Granite, 143

Okay, so after spending 6 straight days awake and part-way sober, I found out Arcvasti goaded the miners into digging out another pair of mage chambers and has set to trying to pull the secrets of fire magic from a shitload of antique books that caravan from two years ago had for some buyer in The Hidden Nation. We're talking predating the current calendar antiques.

Anyway, Nidor seems to be praying less and less, saying he's been getting irritating 'gifts' from other gods: Tath left him a bar of bronze-cored steel which pissed off Psi and Gumka to no end when they tried to forge it, a prayer to Lim got him a hive of hornets in his face made of some kind of purple magic, and Uz's prayer got him a freaking IOU note. Count Rakust asked if he wanted to have a chapel to the gods made after the miners find some useful ore. Nidor didn't answer right away if I heard right, and he sounded leery of a sorcerer who suggested some shit called 'project war god.' Didn't catch the name but I'd rather not have golems waging wars meant to be fought by dwarves if that's what it's implying.

10th Granite, 143

Still no sign of the smurf cage. But, I guess it isn't a real problem. South road is finished, and frankly looks like a massive gods-damned eyesore being made of brown rock, but at least now maybe the merchants will behave less like their mothers didn't drink enough when they were pregnant. Rakust ordered an east road built not a few hours after; smart dwarf.

20th Granite, 143

Someone crapped out another little sprog to annoy me with questions about why the greenskins try to take our stuff or why they ride big dogs when I've answered them fifty fucking times in the past day.

21st Granite, 143

Bembul started acting odd. Won't talk to us, won't do anything and he's started collecting bits of unshaped glass.

23rd Granite, 143

Tenderroast came bounding through the barracks and telling everyone he could finally do it and become a mage. Apparently Arcvasti had Khaziraad do a good bit of the grunt work on that magic research and I found out later one of the chambers is meant to vaguely resemble fire. All I can think is: Why? Seriously, who the fuck is gonna see it from above, some kind of freakish warlock with see-through-rock vision? Same goes for the air chamber. Supposed to look like wind or some shit, basically fanning the fire. Why.

28th Granite, 143

Bembul staggered out of the glass furnace today looking like he'd been beaten over the head with a stick and dragging easily the most bitchin' barrel in dwarven history behind him.

7th Slate, 143

A whole fuckload of fishery workers just got themselves drafted for service with the masonry crew. Count Rakust was “unsatisfied with the masons' pace, so I conscripted more masons the same you would conscript more soldiers.” I strangely felt like a dick for being a commander when he used the word 'conscripted,' even though almost all of my soldiers are volunteers besides the ones Mr Frog is in charge of (they didn't complain because they don't expect to actually see combat and Mr Frog outright volunteered too.)

But in all honesty it was a pretty smart move; we're always running low on blocks to build shit with and Mr Frog's barracks is gonna be done that much faster. Adjusted their schedule too. Figured a season would work better so his dwarves can actually learn something, after all Mr Frog may be an incompetent ass but he does have legion training. I sent Mr Frog his orders sheet to train in Summer.

8th Slate, 143

Little ol' Sergeant Ngithol named his fancy sword. Good for him.

10th Slate, 143

Heard from Nidor that the miners are finally beginning their mineral hunting expedition on the far side of administration. Good show from Rakust to do that, since that means there's a high chance of whatever the fuck coming after him and the guard captain first.

15th Slate, 143

Something's been making a ton of noise above the hospital in the water tunnel but we can't get through the door to check it out. The Guard's on alert though.

21st Slate, 143

The alters are all finished. Saw Tenderroast crying like a small child who's favorite miniforge got taken away cause he can't become a fire mage yet.

15th Felsite, 143

Assigned the raptors to guard duty near the hospital. I got one hell of a bad feeling about that water tunnel.

18th Felsite, 143

Elves arrived this afternoon, and far as I know we don't have dick to sell them. Isn't gonna stop Erib from trying though. Also got my first magically inclined Volunteer, Kahziraad. Says he's gonna become an earth mage. The others were quick to enlist behind him, though they haven't picked a school of magic to join yet, partly cause it'll take them all most of a year to train in their schools up to combat ready levels, plus the time it'll take to train them with their weapons. Poor Tenderroast is gonna take a whole year to reach the point of an honest-to-gods engine of flamey doom.

21st Felsite, 143

Heading to bed when I get word that the miners hit a cavern. A big, mostly dry, rock cavern. There is a lake, but I think that's, whatsitcalled, a recent addition brought on by good ol' papa Lurit. And worse yet, not a lick of ore anywhere in the walls. What was odd is that there was an omnipresent dim light that when I took a look, creeped me right the fuck out. This place is a bad sign. A VERY bad sign.

What's more, the miners spotted a small passage way. I let the masons know to stock up on supplies and Mr Frog that his unit just got assigned to exploration with a blanket order to kill anything that didn't go in with them they find down there.

To add insult to this grim as fuck cavern someone popped out a baby girl today as well.

28th Felsite, 143

The masons are setting up more shops further underground, from the sound of things Count Rakust is acting like he needs to prepare that cavern for a full scale invasion by.... Something. Whole lot of somethings for three masonry shops to be set up explicitly for constantly pumping out blocks.

7th Hematite, 143

That fucking psycho did it. He revived a dead dragon and he did it without black magic. Just a bunch of fancy tools and.. And... I don't... I went to it, and it was changed by death. It remembered me for making it bleed to death with the look it gave me. This one was once the Wyvern Aga.

And then it thanked us as a whole in a deep rumbling and fucking terrifying voice for granting it the true might of a dragon, that it desires the name Pyro for its new form, and that we were now under its protection. It then proceeded to shove the herd of cragtooth piglets running around out of its way and planted itself in the dining hall and looking... Content. A content dragon scares the fuck out of me. A content dragon belonging to a functionally dead species makes me wish I owned brown pants.

That's it. I'm done. I officially no longer understand the world anymore in any capacity and with this writing I surrender all hope of logic ever truly existing in any way, shape, or form.

Arcvasti may as well be a god now. I know from the legends that red dragons have been hunted to extinction. He's already having an assistant revive another and if it's male... Well, he may well be the catalyst for a second Age of Legends to come.

Alright, I want it to be known up front, I cheated to gain a breeder for our new dragons (no matter how many times I savescummed the second was always female so I used dfusion to force a birth which got us a male, and I hope you can forgive me for it. Now, we can just ignore the cheated dragon and lock him up somewhere out of sight and out of mind and we can pretend Pyro is male (because Aga was in fact a male wyvern and Alacore was female,) or someone can write a justification for his appearance (and full dwarven name.) However, regardless, we revived a species in this update, even without the cheat for a male.

Let me say that again: WE REVIVED A FUCKING SPECIES. As in one that went extinct thanks to overzealous adventurers and lucky scouts. There are no read dragons to be found left.

So, for a highlight reel we got visited by elves, finished all the magic alters, Khaziraad is studying to become a master of earth magic, Mr Frog's unit now finally has a barracks, we hit the caverns, and two minibeards were born, I learned plump helmet men will use unowned offices for meetings if they become mayors, and dorf!Splint has officially given up on all logic and reason. All in all, a quiet update.

Oh, Dorf!Arcvasti gave the natural order of things a giant fucking middle finger and nonzombie revived a species.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:47 am »

What kind of large lizard thing Vexxy got this time? And why was there a caiman on the loose?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2014, 05:54:47 am »

What kind of large lizard thing Vexxy got this time? And why was there a caiman on the loose?

It's simply called a giant lizard; fuckers are large enough to ride. And the black caiman is lose because I bought it and let it loose of course, maybe as a bid to make sure the others stay the hell away, a charm or ward if you will. You'd think that she'd be more interested in the greatest reptiles of them all deciding to park themselves in the lodge and on all the on-display artifacts though (Alacore was going to the lodge to sit around and Aga/Pyro literally plopped his fat dragon ass down in the dining hall next to nearly all of our mood artifacts. :P

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2014, 06:17:23 am »

Journal of Tirion, 142

The end is near. Our mayor has been left to die a sober death because his door was jammed, and his position was usurped by a plump helmet man. I heard tales of their rebellions, but never such a complete coup. Are they going to enslave us? Or not, Arcvasti just succeeded in reviving a freaking Red Dragon, I hope that would be enough to burn the smurfs if they try something.

I continue to volunteer for fortress-saving work, so far I'm still a carpenter, with a side order of corpse hauler. So, not a mage, soldier or priest. Speaking of corpses, maybe we could use them at our shrines, sacrifice them or turn them into souls or something. And we really should research Alchemy, I heard it can make iron-grade metal out of blood and ash, both of which we have.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:37 am »

Couldn't sleep, so here is a "catch up" journal.

Anyway, Nidor seems to be praying less and less, saying he's been getting irritating 'gifts' from other gods: Tath left him a bar of bronze-cored steel which pissed off Psi and Gumka to no end when they tried to forge it, a prayer to Lim got him a hive of hornets in his face made of some kind of purple magic, and Uz's prayer got him a freaking IOU note. Count Rakust asked if he wanted to have a chapel to the gods made after the miners find some useful ore. Nidor didn't answer right away if I heard right, and he sounded leery of a sorcerer who suggested some shit called 'project war god.' Didn't catch the name but I'd rather not have golems waging wars meant to be fought by dwarves if that's what it's implying.

Heh, yikes, sounds like I gave the others another try for old time's sake and got caught in a jealous fit. I'm guessing the project war god is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edited to prevent a double post with the addition of the journal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:21:23 am by Nidor »

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »

hell yea! great post nidor, and awesome job as always, splint.

A few things. alot of the magical reagents for the different schools of magic training, are heavy as hell. Like platinum statues. Might be a good idea to put some stockpiles down there with the heavy stuff, to make it go faster for the mages that are in training. I speak from experience. I was trying to train a rock mage lvl 3, and made the mistake of having the platinum statue so far away, that the mage died of thirst while dragging the statue.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2014, 12:26:50 pm »

Oh, Dorf!Arcvasti gave the natural order of things a giant fucking middle finger and nonzombie revived a species.

I wonder if that'll fit in my sig...

EDIT: Apparently it does. Yay.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:29:52 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2014, 12:41:52 pm »

And with this, my dorfs journal begins.

Fort Badass crew will be met in next update.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2014, 01:34:16 pm »

I'm guessing the project war god is

Possibly, but more leaning towards golems in general. I always imagine golems as very proud of their now position: Are they now of cold brass, iron, or whatnot? Yes. Can they protect their loved ones more easily now? Yes. Are they superior to a normal dwarven soldier in almost every way? Almost, what with not being very susceptible to head bites, being made of metal, and air and water being no obstacle to them in combat. But then, dwarven soldiers can match many of these abilities by the might of the runes that can be inlayed into their armor.

A few things. alot of the magical reagents for the different schools of magic training, are heavy as hell. Like platinum statues. Might be a good idea to put some stockpiles down there with the heavy stuff, to make it go faster for the mages that are in training. I speak from experience. I was trying to train a rock mage lvl 3, and made the mistake of having the platinum statue so far away, that the mage died of thirst while dragging the statue.

Yeah, I saw. Mercifully despite appearances the fort's fairly compact with moderately sized massages to permit reduced spread of disease. And really everything's close enough that distance isn't much of a concern except for promptness. I will need some reagent stockpiles down there though, cause many workshops are finicky when stuff is just out of reach. I had to autodump the mangle dragon corpses to get the slaughterhouse to use them for example.

Anyway, contributions up to date, thanks so much guys! Next update you can expect to see the mage school slowly turn into a massive library/scriptorium.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2014, 03:09:42 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »

And once more, I find myself wondering how the mayor can talk with no mouth.

Update's a comin' sometime today, pretty sure all contributions are in order.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

Drow sign language? Notes? Just nodding and signing documents selling all dwarves to drow slavery?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »

Drow sign language? Notes? Just nodding and signing documents selling all dwarves to drow slavery?

Could also be telepathy. Or mabye smurf creeped out drow so much that they just nooded and smiled and signed on whatever as to not piss it off and get out of here ASAP.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30