Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's play: Fate of the Magitek Space Pirates  (Read 20926 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's play: Fate of the Magitek Space Pirates
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:12:58 pm »

Good day everyone!

I want to run a PbP game using Fate Core. As I want to play "by the book", instead of coming up with a setting by myself we're going to build it collaboratively. I want to go thru all the Game Creation steps and stuff.

Fate is a tabletop role-playing game centered about aspects, four actions, streamlined skill resolution and a system of Fate points (tokens) to make things more cinematic.

I'm looking for at least 4 active players, with a maximum of 6 or so. Anyone who's interested in signing up, please post here stating so and suggest what kind of game or genre you'd like to play. Others are welcome to suggest things, but signed players will have final say of what goes (hopefully without too much arguing :P). Let's see if there's enough interest to get this ball rolling...

To try and keep this simple, we'll be avoiding any extraneous add-ons to the rules, like complicated Magic Systems(TM) or rules for mecha components or Wuxia Kung Pow Elemental Fist Disciplines or whatever. Just the basic Default Skills and making those fit any genre (Stunts also help).

Full disclosure: I'm not by any means an experienced Game Master (or even player). I've run a few games in my life, I GMed GURPS once face-to-face and also a PbP game several years ago, been in a Fate Core game in Google+ which unfortunately died off pretty early, played a bit in Hangouts but had to drop because of timezone differences. I'm currently running a Mecha Knights sorta game for some friends IRL but it's really hard to get them together lately. I play some D&D on and off but I'm not a big fan, so I mostly just play support pregens in ongoing campaigns.

Update: I've added a new OOC thread for character creation and stuff that's been done after the game started.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143358.0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:15:29 am by Sergius »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play: Unnamed Fate Core game
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:13:33 pm »

You can find more about Fate Core here: http://fate-srd.com/
The entire thing is viewable online for free, and in PDF in a "pay what you want" model here: http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core/
(the store page via "BUY" has a direct link to the PDF without having to pay)

Players:
Jonathan Wade, "The Captain" (Kadzar)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Concept & Background (click to show/hide)
Donovan Briggs, "The Helmsman-Mage" (GentlemanRaptor)
Gethron, "The Chief Gunner" (Sirus)
Romulus, "The Quartermaster" (Xeron)

Player Extras:
Neptune's Damnation, "The Ship"
Spoiler: Extra Sheet (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:19:59 am by Sergius »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: Let's play: Unnamed Fate Core Game of Great Justice
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:30 am »

ptw for when i get back in a week

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »

I'd be willing to join in.

And as for setting, my vote would be low fantasy (like in the examples of play) or pirates. But I'd also be agreeable to anything else someone suggests.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:23:56 pm »

Ok, sounds good :)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:35:02 pm »

I'm interested. I'm definitely down for pirates, but I've always been partial to sci-fi. Either of the two, really.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:01:24 pm »

Oh, yeah, sci-fi is good too. Those were just the two ideas that most readily came to mind.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:17 am »

We can pick one, or mix and match elements from different genres I think.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:57 am »

Clearly the best solution is space pirates.

Might be interested in playing; I picked up the Fate books a while back in some sort of humble sale.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 01:05:16 am »

Magical Space Pirates :P

Well, 3 people interested in playing, and 1 person interested in being interested, I think that's good enough to start brainstorming for the game.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:12 am »

Alright! How should we start?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »

Well, for starters, I've added the Game Creation Worksheet to my post, and I'll be filling it as we decide on things or change dials or, like, whatevs.

"The first step in setting up your Fate game is to decide what sort of people the protagonists are and what sort of world surrounds them."

So, the setting. I think there's more or less consensus about Pirates, and nobody seems averse to scifi, so either (or both). Low fantasy is on the table too so it would depends on the agreement we reach.

Then, scale:

"In a small-scale game, characters deal with problems in a city or region, they don’t travel a great deal, and the problems are local. A large-scale game involves dealing with problems that affect a world, a civilization, or even a galaxy if the genre you’re playing in can handle that kind of thing."

So basically: Help the Town vs. Save the World (or if evil, I guess, Burninate the Villagers vs. Conquer the Galaxy). I think this is on a per-adventure basis.

From there, we'll get to Issues and Faces/Places, and more or less simultaneously creating the PCs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 05:34:18 pm »

Well, I do say that, if we're pirates, space or otherwise, I feel at some point there should be opportunity to have duels with rivals/nemeses. Preferably with cutlasses. Not sure where that fits in, but I feel like it's an idea worth having in mind.

Also, the mention of magical space pirates made me wonder if we want to do a Spelljammer sort of thing with this. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought I'd mention it just in case people did happen to be agreeable to it.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 05:46:05 pm »

I have heard of the Spelljammer setting before, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Magic Space Pirates (who can be good or evil, let's not limit ourselves) gets all my votes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »

May i join ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14