Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Good idea? Bad idea?

I love it.
I like it.
I have no strong feelings about the matter one way or another.
I dislike it.
I hate it.
I dont care.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Semi-Randomized Civs - POLL!  (Read 3069 times)

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
Re: Semi-Randomized Civs - POLL!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:14 am »

Randomizing always attracts me.

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:40 am »

This idea sounds really awesome.  8)

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 04:48:13 am »

This would be awesome :)  Would it potentially affect playable races too?
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 10:00:32 am »

Limited randomizing sounds cool, as long as I don't have to figure out if a flibberdigibbit is going to eat my entire fort or just hang out and bask in the sun.  I tried the "add additional randomized creatures" thing and went nuts since you need to go into the description of each thing that appears on the map to try and figure out if it was a threat or not.

jwpartain1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

The problem with race randomization to me, similar to what arbarbonif said, is the generic bottom line. Although it would give you more variety in actuality, it might be overwhelming and therefore end up bland to the player.

I follow a game in development called Starbound, which is experiencing similar issues with procedurally generated enemies, which is slightly different from what you're talking about, granted.

I love the extra races/civs you've added, Meph, and play MWDF exclusively, but for me, it might be a little much. Since the majority seems to like it, maybe add a GUI option with it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »

1. Its not random/procedual. Its a random pick from a hardcoded list, which I would add. Of course the creatures would be thematically fitting. I just want civs to have specialities. A spider-men civ has webs, an ant-men civ has 4 arms with more weapons and shields, a snake-men civ has venom, and a plump-helmet men civ can be eaten. I would maybe add 3-4 possible creatures to each civ.

Possible problem: Obviously its a big difference for playable civs (dog-bolds or lizard-bolds, or "do I really want to touch dwarves at all?") and I might limit it to the invaders only.

2. Yes, it could be a GUI option. You could pick either a specific creature or set it to random.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:06 pm »

1. Its not random/procedual. Its a random pick from a hardcoded list, which I would add. Of course the creatures would be thematically fitting. I just want civs to have specialities. A spider-men civ has webs, an ant-men civ has 4 arms with more weapons and shields, a snake-men civ has venom, and a plump-helmet men civ can be eaten. I would maybe add 3-4 possible creatures to each civ.

Possible problem: Obviously its a big difference for playable civs (dog-bolds or lizard-bolds, or "do I really want to touch dwarves at all?") and I might limit it to the invaders only.

2. Yes, it could be a GUI option. You could pick either a specific creature or set it to random.
If it's gonna have a gui anyway that makes messing with playable civs more appealing. If you only like a certain toe puff dwarf out bold, only allow those.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

with Diffrent playable races per civ and Rose's building upgrade you could have reactions that upgrade buildings,but with different buildings for diffrent civs

example: (using Chaos dwarves and default dwarves as the to creatures)
A dwarf builds a Mages guild,runs a reaction that applies a syndrome with a createitem command attached to it,if its a Chaos dwarf it creates one item,and lets you upgrade to an evil version of the guild,but if its a regular dwarf then it gives a different item allowing a good version of the guild
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 02:51:17 pm »

with Diffrent playable races per civ and Rose's building upgrade you could have reactions that upgrade buildings,but with different buildings for diffrent civs

example: (using Chaos dwarves and default dwarves as the to creatures)
A dwarf builds a Mages guild,runs a reaction that applies a syndrome with a createitem command attached to it,if its a Chaos dwarf it creates one item,and lets you upgrade to an evil version of the guild,but if its a regular dwarf then it gives a different item allowing a good version of the guild
:o
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 03:10:09 pm »

Sounds like an interesting idea, I for one would love an early sieger animal man.

Like Beak Wolves or Dark Stranglers but with Copper, maybe Bronze armor.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 03:20:55 pm »

yeah early siege race of animal men. then you have no excuse not to make them a playable furry race, draconic kitties for the win! *evil grin*

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »

How do draconic kittens even work? Are they mammals, or cold-blooded? Eggs or live birth? Scales or skin/fur?

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 05:11:17 pm »

<------------ picture!, Dragons are warmblooded (but i choose not!) and the variety that does eggs but gives live birth.. duh =)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 05:44:12 pm »

Really its precisely as believable as the platypus...
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 06:03:45 pm »

Really its precisely as believable as the platypus...
No way, platypi are poisonous.  They are more ridiculous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3