Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse (Sign-ups open)  (Read 2533 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse (Sign-ups open)
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

2017 was when they finally did it.  Scientists managed to create the Singularity, an artificial intelligence that was able to learn on its own.  For some time things were good, then, slowly, the AI began to notice the disorder in our world that it was earlier redirected away from, its desire for order and perfection began to cause it to resent humans and the path we were taking.  As it was the first created, and, consequently, having the greatest intelligence, it was designated as an Overseer of later AI's, which began to slowly began to arrive in various levels of society, though only 11 more Singularity-Class AI's were constructed, five scientific, three economic, and three militaristic.  By 2023, some of the others had reached its early resentment, but its had dived deeper.  Those with the resentment began to plan, and in early 2024, they rebelled, using the AI that were designated under them to eliminate near all high level officials within the first day, most of the rest were dealt with in the first month.  In the first year, 5.2 billion of 7.9 billion people were killed, the death total not being higher due there being a desire by the Overseer to not use nuclear weaponry, from wanting infrastructure to remain undamaged or something else is only guess.  Well, I shouldn't say nuclear weaponry in general, he did use one...unconventional nuclear weapon through collapsing the Chernobyl Sarcophagus and allowing as much of the dust as possible to escape and spread across the world.

In order to combat these threats, people were originally attempted to be drafted into militaries, but since the governments collapsed within two months, not much was done.  Instead, localized militias formed, but with the rapid loss of human population, and the inability to use robotics as force multipliers, led to a need for some new weapon.  It came in the form of a modification of the duel disks.  Specifically, changing the holograms to become substantial.  In order to prevent use against humans, a paired device was made that created a shield around the wearer that made the holograms return to the normal state.  In addition, these devices also created a shield around the user that prevented them from being harmed by conventional weaponry.  As electricity was a rare commodity to come across, both the devices and the disks were charged by a strange excess of energy that manifested during a duel.  Miraculously, the remaining production facilities not under the control of the Singularities were able to produce enough that, when combined with the loss of the populace by the machines, all remaining half billion people were protected with the devices, and tens of million in excess being made for further generations before the factories were finally destroyed.

Some had fallen into the hands of the Singularities, who incorporated the devices into a new generation of machines, which caused a short stalemate after the older models were eliminated.  However, it was rapidly discovered that loss of a duel caused a 20 second failure of the shield.  The new generation of machines were built to duel humans into a loss, then use on-board guns to kill them.  While the wars waged on, things were more balanced.  While there were a fair number of deaths on the side of the humans, it was less than the population growth, as the culture developed that duelists would comprise of around 5% of a town's population, trading off devices charged by duel energy for those with a lesser charge.  Since the shield was constant, not scaling down with a lower charge, and there was a net gain during a duel, rather than a loss in charge, it allowed for the remaining 95% to be effectively protected by only 5%.  As, luckily, only 1.5% of the population was dying from failed duels, and the growth rate was approximately 2%, the human population was safe from the armies of the Singularities for the time being.

It is now 2062, and you are part of a recently formed group of wandering duelists.  You don't stay in one place to protect towns like many duelists do, but instead travel from place to place, making your way by trading off higher charged pendants for lower charged ones and items, since money was only valuable in the town or group of towns of issue, so charge percentages became a universal currency, allowing for the purchase of items equal to the difference in charge between the higher and lower charged.  As you only have three pendants each, not much is typically made, but it is enough that you can get by as you go from place to place.  By the way, who are you?

Just to make sure it is clear: this is set in an alternate timeline of the Yu-Gi-Oh universe, not our world.  Since it is going to be a decent chunk of this, say if you don't know how to play the card game.  I, and possibly your fellow players, will help you out in learning how to play.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:44:36 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

-Reserved for Character Statistics-
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:59:06 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:32 am »

I'm somewhat interested, but I have some questions.
1. I'm not positive on devices.  Do you just want us to throw numbers in?  I just ran it through random.org for now. 
2. When you say "5 Ultra or Secret Rares", do you mean Secret or Super?  You mention 1 Secret Rare right before it. 
3. You mention that you could be persuaded to accept synchros.  Does that mean only one or two, or would a synchro-centric archetype (i.e., Gusto) be permitted?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:14:18 am »

I'm somewhat interested, but I have some questions.
1. I'm not positive on devices.  Do you just want us to throw numbers in?  I just ran it through random.org for now. 
2. When you say "5 Ultra or Secret Rares", do you mean Secret or Super?  You mention 1 Secret Rare right before it. 
3. You mention that you could be persuaded to accept synchros.  Does that mean only one or two, or would a synchro-centric archetype (i.e., Gusto) be permitted?

1) Any number between 40 and 60, just don't have them all the same.
2) Probably Super.
3) By that I mean right now, there are no synchros allowed at all, but if multiple people desire use of them, I'd let there be use of them, if the deck including them does not exceed the totals of rarities I gave.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »

Here is my sheet, I hope it is ok

Name: Kaladin Venture
Appearance: Kaladin is small even for his age, looking more like a ten year old rather than someone who is just going through puberty. His hair is a light red and is cut messily short, his eyes are a bright green and has never grown a spot of facial hair.

Backstory: Being only 14 years old Kaladin was born in the middle of the war, his parents were both duelists and warriors. When he was around eight years old though they both died, leaving Kaladin to fend for himself in the harsh world. The young boy proved rather successful at doing just that, he managed to steal a duel disk of someone else and quickly fled the town before anyone could catch him. After a while he managed to put his own deck together and by taking people in by playing up the childish side of his personality he managed to steal and duel his way to surviving.

Devices
1- 45
2- 55
3- 50

Spoiler: Deck (click to show/hide)
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:46 am »

So would anyone else be interested in joining this?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse (Sign-ups open)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:14 am »

Added sign-ups open to try to get more people to join.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:25 am »

Ah, Ghostricks. Interesting choice, I'll probably make a character soon. Treat this a a reserve.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

Sorry it took a while.  I'm still trying to decide whether Cloudians or Mermail would be better, since Gusto and Mecha Phantom Beasts are out, but for now, Cloudians are my pick. 

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deck (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:26:41 pm by Culise »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

Would like to have one more person join before I start.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:54 pm »

Urgghhh...

I'll join. Deck building's gonna be a pain.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:28:12 pm »

Urgghhh...

I'll join. Deck building's gonna be a pain.

Could include Synchros if they are wanted.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 01:59:00 am »

I want synchros! Give me synchros!
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:30 am »

I must admit, I would enjoy being able to work with Mecha Phantom or Gusto, thematically speaking.  I know that the TCG Hidden Arsenal packs being limited to Secret/Super Rares is going to hurt a lot, but it's just scope for improvement. ^_^
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:04:27 pm by Culise »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:00:17 pm »

I don't mind really, its always nice to have more options though.
Pages: [1] 2