Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!] mark II: No racism derails!  (Read 3493 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [insert gender-related title here!] mark II: No racism derails!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 11:20:30 am »

Which is to say, what, 90+% of all human historic human societies?

Which is to say, too large and vague a set to make generalisations about with specific citations and arguments.

We actually know quite a bit about them and how they lived. As well we still have a FEW living hunter-gatherer societies in existence (Mostly sedentary)

They still followed a few general rules and these rules don't change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

Source? Because from what I've heard, they had a wide variety of social organizations.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »

I sourced it here, one of the articles I went through while doing some fact-checking in the last page of this thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though, this was in relation to the idea of gender-roles differing in these societies compared to agricultural societies, so lets try and keep it relevant to the thread as much as possible.

I'll just write HG for "hunter gatherer" from now on.

My point, was that anthropologists note many traits of pure HG societies that seem to be near-universal. It can then be argued that those are necessary traits to survive as HGs, because alternate and quite possible styles of organization just don't exist, even in very remote communities, whether or not they're in direct competition with other groups.

So we can't really say anything about whether men or women are better decision-makers from such examples. There could have been HG tribes where men made the majority of decisions and ones where women made the majority of decisions, and either could have been better or worse. All we know is that those hypothetical tribes didn't survive, and the "equal decision making" ones did.

So it's not, on it's face, any sort of proof that "women would make better leaders than men" in an advanced technical civilization. At best it's states that things should be 50/50.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:52:22 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 [3]