Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 360

Author Topic: DFHack 0.43.03-r1  (Read 1079501 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.43.03-r1
« Reply #4725 on: September 25, 2016, 07:54:48 pm »

when using catsplosion list, the command shows animals that have already been slaughtered. When does the count reset? Also, I penned my falcons into a room with nestboxes and ran the catsplosion bird_falcon_peregrine and it just says pregnancies accelerated or something, but nothing happens? they dont immediately lay more eggs
I don't think egg layers are ever really pregnant, in that they have a separate egg timer.  Fiddling with the pregnancy flags probably won't work, and if it did it might lead to live birth.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: September 25, 2016, 08:43:54 pm »

finding 64-bit offsets is harder since we have to update some tools we were using
In some cases, that isn't even possible - for example, I've been using IDA demo/free versions on Windows for 32-bit DF, but the only versions of IDA that support 64-bit binaries cost over $1000 for a single license, and most other tools don't even come anywhere close in terms of functionality and usability.
I assume you may already know about: https://github.com/radare/radare2 but it has no gui or anything, though it does have some documentation: https://radare.gitbooks.io/radare2book/content/ it seems.

Hopper seems to have several people saying it is a close runner up to IDA, and is like 1/10th the price: https://www.hopperapp.com/ though weirdly I only see linux/osx versions?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: September 25, 2016, 10:34:17 pm »

Regarding Hopper, that would be because it's described as "The OS X and Linux Disassembler".

I've tried using radare2, but haven't been very successful with it, partly because I'm not really familiar with disassembly. (There's not that much you strictly need it for, besides finding globals and a few other things, but it can be really helpful for things like tracking down structure changes by analyzing save/load code.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:21 am »

Yeah, and IDA is a much broader tool than just a disassembler. Anybody wanna throw money at a license who isn't broke as a joke?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: September 26, 2016, 12:57:31 am »

We've tried doubling the volunteers' pay ($0x2=$0), but it turns out that no one is slacking and it's just taking a long time.
My brain parses this as:
Code: (MIPS Assembly) [Select]
addi $2,$0,0                                               # Register2 = 0
(You probably can't use hexadecimal for registers, I assume.)

I think I've gone too far down the rabbit hole.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:04:25 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nuker22110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

when using catsplosion list, the command shows animals that have already been slaughtered. When does the count reset? Also, I penned my falcons into a room with nestboxes and ran the catsplosion bird_falcon_peregrine and it just says pregnancies accelerated or something, but nothing happens? they dont immediately lay more eggs
I don't think egg layers are ever really pregnant, in that they have a separate egg timer.  Fiddling with the pregnancy flags probably won't work, and if it did it might lead to live birth.

is there a way then to use dfhack to make egg layers instant lay and instant hatch?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: September 26, 2016, 01:23:08 pm »

Progress! Quietust figured out why DFHack was crashing on startup with 64-bit Windows DF (I'm not quite sure how it was working before), so now it's not completely broken there anymore. Basically, vmethod interposing was failing to handle a certain case new to x64 and calling abort() before DFHack had a chance to set up stderr.log, so the error message wasn't visible.

If anyone wants to test 64-bit DFHack on Windows, it should at least be possible now. (It's been working for me on OS X/Linux, for anyone who's wondering, and I expect 32-bit Windows is okay too.)

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: September 26, 2016, 01:24:12 pm »

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is excellent news!  Good job Quietust!  I will name my next adventurer after you!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:26:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: September 26, 2016, 01:44:10 pm »

Has Toady ever expressed interest in making it somehow easier to maintain the offsets for tools like this? (Ignorant speculation: it seems like if the main goal is to know where in memory a bunch of structures are, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put in a [PRINTOFFSETS] in an init file and then have DF spit out the & memory addresses of the data structures of interest?)

DF isn't nearly as a viable game without the third party tools. The conversation of begging Toady for help must have already happened?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4734 on: September 26, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »

(Ignorant speculation: it seems like if the main goal is to know where in memory a bunch of structures are, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put in a [PRINTOFFSETS] in an init file and then have DF spit out the & memory addresses of the data structures of interest?)
It probably wouldn't be an init setting - more likely, it would be a command-line parameter, and it would actually be quite simple to write (something like printf("gps: %x\n", &gps + base_addr); for each global variable we care about, and we currently track just over 120, and most of them can be found automatically). Whether or not it will actually happen, though, is entirely up to Toady, and I don't believe any of us have directly asked for that sort of functionality simply because our own tools were good enough to do it without his help.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:58:28 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: September 26, 2016, 02:14:01 pm »

So is the develop branch of DFhack mostly working with v0.43.05 of Dwarf Fortress now? Is all that's left to do to test it for bugs?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: September 26, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »

(Ignorant speculation: it seems like if the main goal is to know where in memory a bunch of structures are, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put in a [PRINTOFFSETS] in an init file and then have DF spit out the & memory addresses of the data structures of interest?)
In addition to what Quietust said, some of our tools can work on all DF binaries without having to run them, which is nice for people that can't run all of them (although there are also scans for some globals that do require running DF already, so it wouldn't really add extra requirements).

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: September 26, 2016, 02:40:15 pm »

I probably wouldn't mind testing if someone sent me a precompiled new version and a list of what is wanted to be testing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: September 26, 2016, 03:05:29 pm »

There's a decent availability of IDA Pro copies fallen off the back of a truck. Seems like the problem isn't too hard to solve if you're not overly burdened by moral compunctions.
Has Toady ever expressed interest in making it somehow easier to maintain the offsets for tools like this? (Ignorant speculation: it seems like if the main goal is to know where in memory a bunch of structures are, it wouldn't be that hard for him to put in a [PRINTOFFSETS] in an init file and then have DF spit out the & memory addresses of the data structures of interest?)
His initial reaction when DFhack first was created was to get upset and try to shut it down. Since then he's realized it's not really such a problem, but Toady is not very comfortable with giving other people increased access to his codebase.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:08:07 pm by Cruxador »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: September 26, 2016, 11:28:17 pm »

Another announcement of sorts:

It turns out Ruby 1.8 (which we use) doesn't actually compile for 64-bit Windows, at least not without techniques that nobody has investigated. Ruby 2+ would compile, but I don't know if it would work, so I'm waiting on jjyg for that.

Besides that, I can't think of any major blockers for a pre-release (there are some for a stable release). Do note that if we did put up a build now, no ruby scripts would work at all in the 64-bit Windows build. (I suppose now would be a good time to convert "multicmd" to a built-in command, before that becomes an issue.)

Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 360