Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 360

Author Topic: DFHack 0.43.03-r1  (Read 1079213 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.40.24-r3
« Reply #3165 on: September 25, 2015, 12:43:21 pm »

Update on the next release: effectively negative progress because there's more stuff to do. The documentation is overhauled in terms of formatting and presentation but the content is about the same. I'd like to go over the documentation and add stuff and organize a bit more. I'd also like to go through the big pile of third party scripts we're adding and decide what needs to go in and what would be too cluttered and fix indentation and try and extract out common functionality, etc, etc. I'm working on it a little each day but it will take longer than I expected.

I do still intend to do DFHack 0.40.24-r4 before the next DF release.

It would go a lot quicker if I just took all the 3rd party scripts and stuffed them in but that would clutter the scripts folder a lot and when I do eventually go in and standardize everything it would break backwards compatibility. I'm willing to break it if there's a good reason for the long-term health of the project but I try not to.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:18:03 pm by expwnent »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 25, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »

Update on the next release: effectively negative progress because there's more stuff to do. The documentation is overhauled in terms of formatting and presentation but the content is about the same. I'd like to go over the documentation and add stuff and organize a bit more. I'd also like to go through the big pile of third party scripts we're adding and decide what needs to go in and what would be too cluttered and fix indentation and try and extract out common functionality, etc, etc. I'm working on it a little each day but it will take longer than I expected.

I do still intend to do DFHack 0.40.24-r4 before the next DF release.

It would go a lot quicker if I just took all the 3rd party scripts and stuffed them in but that would clutter the scripts folder a lot and when I do eventually go in and standardize everything it would break backwards compatibility. I'm willing to break it if there's a good reason for the long-term health of the project but I try not to.

Could we maybe do a quick r4 release before going down the rabbit hole on scripts and documentation?  Specifically, a release based off the current develop branch (with docs pull), but not including any of the other work you're going through.

I've been one of the people pushing on both those fronts, and I think it's important stuff to do.  However we're already sitting on the biggest changelog ever, and I think adding in all the scripts work and further changes would make it too big.

r4 would be a huge release but more or less standard, while r5 could overhaul the scripts and properly structure the documentation etc.  This also provides clarity for users and modders, makes it much easier for modders or pack maintainers to communicate with newbs about required versions (and I have to do a lot of that), and gives us a clear baseline to assess the proposed r5 changes against.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 27, 2015, 08:02:17 pm »

we're already sitting on the biggest changelog ever

Have you noticed that it's impossible to read because text doesn't wrap inside grey areas?

Yes, using literal blocks is certainly less than ideal.  In desktop browsers it's usually OK, though you still need to scroll horizontally.  Mobile is awfully narrow.

Note however that this is just a placeholder; after the next release (when merge conflicts are less of an issue) I'll format it to use subheadings and the field list syntax.
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:27 pm »

I've been thinking of reformatting NEWS as a bulleted list (as it was in 0.34.11), by the way. I could start the headings with "#" or something else to make inclusion in documentation easier, or you could replace first-level bullets (or lack of bullets) with appropriate heading characters.

(Also, I know there are a lot of changes in r4, but it also has one of the best-documented changelogs, so changelog length isn't a perfect metric.)

Edit: Oh, you've already reformatted NEWS as a RST file. It's worth keeping in mind that NEWS is generally used verbatim for release notes on GitHub, so it would be nice to keep the syntax Markdown-compatible if possible. Headings underlined with "===" and "---" seem to work, for example, as do hyphen-bulleted lists.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:37:57 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 27, 2015, 11:56:19 pm »

I'm aware that changelog length isn't a great metric, but it's easy to check.  The other comparison would be to 0.34.11-r4, which could have been smoother.  This one is coming along nicely now though.

After experimenting with a couple of different formatting options, it turns out that my favourite is entirely in the overlap between .rst and markdown.  In short:  headings underlined with ----, * bullet lists for all sections, and items related to a particular tool start "toolname:".  Looks good in rst, markdown, and raw text; and easy to write.  I'll go through the rest of the file later and make a pull request.
 Donations here.

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 28, 2015, 06:24:36 am »

i just pulled the last changes and when running cmake i was greeted with a bunch of error messages.

running "git submodules --init" fixed most of them (maybe this should ne noted in the docs, "git submodules update" did not work.).

no i'm stuck with

-- Could NOT find Sphinx (missing:  SPHINX_EXECUTABLE)
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:205 (message):
  Sphinx not found but BUILD_DOCS enabled

google revealed that sphinx is a documentation tool. can we have this build target disabled by default? it introduces another dependency.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:06 am »

That's what the BUILD_DOCS option is for - if you disable it, you don't need to have sphinx installed. If it's disabled by default, there's a risk of including no documentation or inaccurate documentation in releases.

I thought the submodule message referred to "git submodule update --init", which does work, but I'll fix it if not.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 28, 2015, 01:33:35 pm »

That's what the BUILD_DOCS option is for - if you disable it, you don't need to have sphinx installed. If it's disabled by default, there's a risk of including no documentation or inaccurate documentation in releases.

I thought the submodule message referred to "git submodule update --init", which does work, but I'll fix it if not.

indeed, the i just checked the doc, but to me it seemed that  "git submodule update --init" referred to the first checkout only. my knowledge about git is very limited.

and cmake -DBUILD_DOCS=no did the trick. thx

now make install fails:

"CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:43 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot copy file
  "/home/schlichti/build/dfhack/dfhack-config/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/d
efault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/
default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default
/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defaul
t/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defau
lt/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defa
ult/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/def
ault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/de
fault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/d
efault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/
default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default
/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defaul
t/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defau
lt/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/defa
ult/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/def
ault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/de
fault/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/default/d
t/default/default/default/default/defau" etc..

this msg appears many times.

i guess i wait till things are fleshed out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:42:57 pm by DeDeRon »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 28, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »

What are the contents of your dfhack-config directory (in the source tree, not your DF folder)?

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: September 28, 2015, 03:20:21 pm »

What are the contents of your dfhack-config directory (in the source tree, not your DF folder)?

schlichti@fiete:~/build/dfhack/dfhack-config $ ls -l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 schlichti schlichti 4096 Sep 28 20:31 default
-rw-r--r-- 1 schlichti schlichti  514 Sep  5 18:55 dfstatus.lua
-rw-r--r-- 1 schlichti schlichti  221 Jun 22 18:39 dwarfmonitor.json

and after cd to ./default guess what:

schlichti@fiete:~/build/dfhack/dfhack-config/default $ ls -l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 schlichti schlichti 4096 Sep 28 20:31 default
-rw-r--r-- 1 schlichti schlichti  514 Sep  5 18:55 dfstatus.lua
-rw-r--r-- 1 schlichti schlichti  221 Jun 22 18:39 dwarfmonitor.json

watching the output of find . tells me that this recursion goes very deep.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 28, 2015, 04:09:39 pm »

That's strange - the 'default' directory shouldn't exist at all in your source tree. Can you check `git status` and make sure you haven't added it somehow (and make sure you're using the latest commit of the develop branch)?
At any rate, you ought to be able to remove it safely if there's nothing important in it.

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 29, 2015, 02:38:07 am »

That's strange - the 'default' directory shouldn't exist at all in your source tree. Can you check `git status` and make sure you haven't added it somehow (and make sure you're using the latest commit of the develop branch)?
At any rate, you ought to be able to remove it safely if there's nothing important in it.

build and install do work now. i have no idea where the default dirs came from. thx for the help.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: October 01, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

So while playing around in game testing my scripts and I came across an interesting flag in flows. Namely

Code: [Select]
expanding = true
Now this may have been common knowledge, but I had no idea you could keep a flow from spreading... That means you can target the exact locations you want the flow to appear and only put it in those locations. Want your caster to put a line of dragonfire, easy. Want a spider to spit a cone of webs, done. Want a perfect circle of smoke, alright!

I will be incorporating this into my scripts.

EDIT: It may also be possible to stop the spread of fires when using fire based spells by removing and burnable things from a tile, and then placing the fire with expanding = false so that the local tile doesn't start a fire.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:35:33 pm by Roses »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 360