Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 360

Author Topic: DFHack 0.43.03-r1  (Read 1079521 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.43.03-r1
« Reply #4740 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:50 pm »

I really just need prospect and therapist before I can play again without it feeling like a chore.  Never really messed with anything else much, except for cleanmap on occasion for FPS reasons... that shouldn't be as much of an issue with 64-bit, I think?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: September 27, 2016, 12:21:42 am »

For FPS reasons, it's still important.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: September 27, 2016, 01:21:45 am »

64-bit builds don't magically make performance issues go away. A new compiler with different settings might, which could be what people are talking about on the forums, and there could be slight speed improvements with a 64-bit build, but generally not significant ones compared to what could be done by rewriting bits of DF (in cases where that could help).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: September 27, 2016, 01:34:30 am »

Hmm... haven't been looking recently, but when 64-bit was first released, I thought I saw reports of much better performance on larger embarks or world histories.  I thought that would likely expand to an older fortress' accumulated junk.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:51 am »

I'm curious how many of the scripts/utilities for DFHack are Ruby based? Mostly ever used DFHack for Therapist but then that was also quite a few years back (recently came back around) and I get the feeling there's all kinds of new goodies to explore with DFHack.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: September 27, 2016, 01:54:48 am »

There's a decent availability of IDA Pro copies fallen off the back of a truck. Seems like the problem isn't too hard to solve if you're not overly burdened by moral compunctions.

I believe the last time it was brought up Quietust was concerned about viruses.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: September 27, 2016, 01:58:32 am »

His initial reaction when DFhack first was created was to get upset and try to shut it down. Since then he's realized it's not really such a problem, but Toady is not very comfortable with giving other people increased access to his codebase.

That was splash damage when someone was working on a "visualizer" for DF who intended to reverse-engineer it and make his own version. He contacted Peterix and Toady banned both, then unbanned Peterix after they talked about it. Nobody smart enough to reverse-engineer Dwarf Fortress is dumb enough to think they can out DF Toady. I don't have a link but someone else might.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: September 27, 2016, 02:12:31 am »

Is there a pre-alpha for 43.05?
We've tried doubling the volunteers' pay ($0x2=$0), but it turns out that no one is slacking and it's just taking a long time.
I wonder if a paypal bounty fund would help or hurt the process; competitive secrecy vs motivation.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:41 am »

His initial reaction when DFhack first was created was to get upset and try to shut it down. Since then he's realized it's not really such a problem, but Toady is not very comfortable with giving other people increased access to his codebase.

That was splash damage when someone was working on a "visualizer" for DF who intended to reverse-engineer it and make his own version. He contacted Peterix and Toady banned both, then unbanned Peterix after they talked about it. Nobody smart enough to reverse-engineer Dwarf Fortress is dumb enough to think they can out DF Toady. I don't have a link but someone else might.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58796.0

I think I picked up some lingering discomfort regarding the nature of DFHack; I remember the phrase "slippery slope" coming up in conversation at Dwarfmoot? DFHack as it is now he's fine with, certainly (otherwise it wouldn't be here).

We've tried doubling the volunteers' pay ($0x2=$0), but it turns out that no one is slacking and it's just taking a long time.
I wonder if a paypal bounty fund would help or hurt the process; competitive secrecy vs motivation.

The hell is "competitive secrecy"?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:22:22 am by Putnam »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:12 am »

Does "visualizer" mean things like Stonesense and Armok Vision?

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: September 27, 2016, 02:31:10 am »

It would probably "help" to achieve something but not necessarily what you're aiming for. Who would it pay out to and upon what conditions?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: September 27, 2016, 02:41:22 am »

Does "visualizer" mean things like Stonesense and Armok Vision?

He and peterix were working on Khazad, which was a very early visualizer, similar to Armok Vision.

Then he decided to start his own project, an open-source DF, that will be better in every way, and everybody should join the project and leave DF, and anybody who continues to support a closed-source DF is stupid and yadda yadda.

That's when he got banned.

He still occasionally tries to recruit me over skype.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: September 27, 2016, 02:52:04 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58796.0

I think I picked up some lingering discomfort regarding the nature of DFHack; I remember the phrase "slippery slope" coming up in conversation at Dwarfmoot? DFHack as it is now he's fine with, certainly (otherwise it wouldn't be here).

Wow, that's a really old thread. I'm glad they decided to let Peterix back in.

The hell is "competitive secrecy"?

If there are bounties on the DFHack bugs, then DFHack devs might stop collaborating with each other so that they can be the first to solve the bugs.

He and peterix were working on Khazad, which was a very early visualizer, similar to Armok Vision.

Then he decided to start his own project, an open-source DF, that will be better in every way, and everybody should join the project and leave DF, and anybody who continues to support a closed-source DF is stupid and yadda yadda.

That's when he got banned.

He still occasionally tries to recruit me over skype.

I remember Peterix talking about Khazad. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.msg7143260#msg7143260

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:57 am »

It would also be unclear how to split the money if there's a collaborative effort.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #4754 on: September 27, 2016, 05:06:51 am »

I believe at this point the reason for the absence of a release is that the team is being cautious and not willing to make a release until all platforms are equally supported.

Indeed, there are some difficulties because of the new compiler and 64 bits - old tools are not working, some people are away and could not fix them (the ones that are fixable). I made some scripts to find offsets for osx and win64, and then we were fixing issues with data structures, and as I understand, they should be more or less ok. However offsets for some other platforms/bitnesses are less complete. I can probably write scripts for linux64 if needed, but I'm not interested in doing any 32bit work (my opinion is that we should drop 32bit support to make our lives easier). As I understand, scripts that allowed to automatically check data structures are not working anymore as well, so we don't know if the structures are ok until some plugin crashes. Also, it would be good to understand whether we're waiting for jj to fix Ruby scripts, or willing to move on with something else.

Anyway, I personally think some alpha version for osx/win64 could be released now. Or are there are any specific (missing/broken) things that holding off the release?
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 360