Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preparing for the inevitable new DF release  (Read 4773 times)

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
Preparing for the inevitable new DF release
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:34:37 am »

What are some ways we can smoothly, and without chaos, begin editing the wiki of all the new features? Is there any kind of pre-planning that should take place?
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Preparing for the inevitable new DF release
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:54:57 am »

We're mostly going to copy the strategy from the last major release. That is, a clusterfuck of misinformation, really lame D for Dwarf sections, and poor editing practises.
The whole thing will blow over after a few months, though. After that, no-one will even notice we have a wiki at all.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:18 am »

Actually, we have been thinking about how to handle this release. At the moment, our current (tentative) plan is this:
* Rename the DF2012 namespace and create a new namespace for the new version (probably v0.34 and DF2014 respectively, although these are subject to change).
* Copy over old articles, but place a template on them to indicate that they may be outdated. This will be a simple way for editors to track down pages that haven't been updated, while avoiding confusion among readers regarding the status of certain pages. Things certain to have changed, like trees and plants, will likely not be copied over at all.
Not specific to the migration:
 * I have made some basic citation templates, which (at the moment) allow people to reference forum threads and talk page discussions where research has taken place, as well as devlog posts and other pages. We're hoping this makes tracking down information easier and reduces the number of {{verify}} tags scattered around various pages.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:02:10 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »

With the 2015DF release will we be doing the same general thing?  I wasn't paying attention last time around.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »

I don't know if we'll be creating a new namespace for the new version or not - in the past, we've only done that for major versions that break compatibility, and it's unclear if the next version will or not.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »

Major updates always break save compatibility and minor ones occasionally do too.  As far as I can tell Toady hasn't said anything one way or another, but since it's not a minor bugfix release and it'll have all sorts of new features I'd be amazed if old saves were compatible.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »

Toady did say he was trying to keep save compatibility in a FotF reply, although not in recent months. Major releases have not always broken compatibility - 0.21, 0.22, and 0.23 were all compatible, as were 0.27 and 0.28.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:19:22 pm »

If it does break compatibility, should we call the new release DF2015 or DF2016? DF2016 would be accurate for more of the subsequent releases.

(Assuming the new version gets released this year)
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »

Toady did say he was trying to keep save compatibility in a FotF reply, although not in recent months. Major releases have not always broken compatibility - 0.21, 0.22, and 0.23 were all compatible, as were 0.27 and 0.28.
But .28 skipped to 0.31, then 0.34, and now 0.40. I doubt the next release will be 0.41.

Why not call this version of DF by its release number? Then again, I don't understand why the previous few releases weren't called by number.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »

This hasn't been as long of a gap as other major releases, though. Other than that, we really don't know too much about compatibility.
We called the current release DF2014 because Toady said that he would be trying to do more frequent releases that didn't break compatibility, so we didn't want to have to rename the namespace every time the version number changed. DF2014 was also a pretty widespread term by the time of the release.