Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's to become of the baby?  (Read 4687 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's to become of the baby?
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »

A mother carrying her baby is about to die of thirst, from melancholy. Google couldn't find me a clear answer on what would happen to the baby afterwards.  Will it just sit there on her corpse and starve to death as well?

EDIT: so sad, the baby did indeed start wandering with unhappy thoughts.  Wandered right past its father, who totally ignored it.  I'm thinking about dropping the father into the volcano.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:02:59 pm by Gnomeknows »
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's to become of the baby?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:54:54 pm »

It will likely starve if it does not grow into childhood in time. Once a child, it can take care of itself.

But it may not just sit on its mother's corpse. I've seen babies wander before.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:55:49 pm »

The baby will get an unhappy thought, and will start crawling around aimlessly until something steals or kills it. If it survives that, it'll probably die of dehydration or starvation since babies cant feed themselves. They're supposed to fed by other dwarves, but that behavior is bugged. Da vinci's prisoner script fixes this however.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 02:01:18 pm »

The baby will get an unhappy thought, and will start crawling around aimlessly until something steals or kills it. If it survives that, it'll probably die of dehydration or starvation since babies cant feed themselves. They're supposed to fed by other dwarves, but that behavior is bugged. Da vinci's prisoner script fixes this however.

Can't seem to find this script you are referring to, might you have a link?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Can't seem to find this script you are referring to, might you have a link?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138609.0

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

Thank you so much BlackFlyme and Witty, not only did the script work perfectly(baby was fed and watered instantly), but I learned all about dfhack scripting trying to get it to run, lol.  Screeny below.  Today you saved a baby, a...mustache baby.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »

The attributes displayed on the z/Status screen are what the dwarf will look like as an adult.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 05:59:42 pm »

The attributes displayed on the z/Status screen are what the dwarf will look like as an adult.

Ya I figured.  Doesn't make it any less funny to me to look at a baby and have it say mustache though.  Shrug.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 09:07:27 pm »

I just always thought Dwarven babies were born with facial hair.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »

And alcohol dependency. Why not?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 04:06:59 am »

The alcohol dependency is actually confirmed by the character screen: "He needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far, far too long.", see above. I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:42 am »

Well when you consider that the beard is primary, and the beard grows a dwarf, then of course babies are born with beards. In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies. Except of course the beard and the baby are the same organism. Naturally female dwarves have beards too (or should I say, female beards have dwarves too), but because a female beard is responsible for creating new beards most of it is internalized in the female dwarf body.
Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 10:06:29 am »

Did you check my sig? You should check my sig.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0