Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Butcher_special] bugged? Or am doing something wrong?  (Read 916 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Butcher_special] bugged? Or am doing something wrong?
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:01 am »

I have a material template with:
[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MEAT]

Then in item_tool.txt:
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MEAT]
[NAME:hunk:hunks]
[VALUE:1]
[TILE:236]
[SIZE:2000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

and in entity:
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MEAT] is given to dwarves

Then when I butcher an animal, what happens is I get RANDOMLY:
"horse meat ladles"
"horse meat bowls"
"horse meat jugs"
etc.

So everything is working except the subtype. It's like it doesn't recognize the subtype? Everywhere I look online, people use that syntax for minecarts and stuff (TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MINECART, etc.).
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [Butcher_special] bugged? Or am doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:59:00 am »

Yes, BUTCHER_SPECIAL is bugged in that regard.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:36 am »

I actually used this bug to get random drops from some creatures.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:37:25 am »

You can use EBO_ITEM instead, like the gizzard stone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:24:46 am »

Update: After many hours experimenting and procrastinating at work, I've finally devised a solution that might be of general use to others.

I didn't like the EBO idea, because
A) I'd have to mod every single creature's raws. And do so in a sometimes ridiculous and ugly fashion, like for sperm whales, modding in "[EBO:blah blah][EBO: blah blah][EBO:blah blah]" times like... 300.
B) Even then, it wouldn't scale correctly to adults vs. children, or different individual sizes.

So I tested a few dozen other things, and just now figured out:
[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:SLAB:NONE]

It makes slabs, as in the furniture item, of meat upon butchery.  Slabs have no subtypes so the bug is circumvented. They are called slabs which sounds perfectly reasonable for meat, and they successfully allow stacks of themselves, unlike, say, globs. They also cannot be placed in stockpiles, since there's no stockpile for slabs made out of meat, so they won't end up in silly looking places. Craftshops won't engrave them as an option. And for some awesome reason, you can't build them either. So there's no weird behavior, just butcher products called "yak meat slabs [10]" which you can then use in reactions.

Since they aren't meat items, there is no implied edibility raw (which was the primary goal), so you can force people to do additional processing steps.

Rotting will not occur, however I have had some success replacing vanilla rotting with giving muscle tissue a heat damage point of 10,008 urists (USDA refrigeration safety cutoff hehe). Which gives you usually about a week to process them before they self destruct. Which seems reasonable. If there were some way to give inanimate objects a starting temperature (similar to creature HOMETHERM) then I could adjust the "rotting" time by making them start out cold and adjusting specific heat for the fuse length, but alas there does not seem to be. A week is okay (in super hot climates outdoors it's more like 3 days)

This doesn't work for organs as well, but I don't really care. I can just ignore organs and have it abstractly seem like it's just including those as "meat" and adjust recipe ratios to compensate.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:36:14 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:36 am »

I like it. :)

Good science. Between food processing and wood processing, I can make some nice new harder options for Masterwork.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::