Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible to make gender-specific clothing?  (Read 3060 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Is it possible to make gender-specific clothing?
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »

Curious about this for a mod I'm working on.
Regards,
Dampe

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make gender-specific clothing?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:40:00 pm »

No.

Aside from stuff like "only males have legs" at least.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:53:23 am »

Yeah, you cant add, say, a [MALE] tag to a pair of pants.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:17:12 am »

No you cant.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:48 am »

Alright, thanks anyway.
Regards,
Dampe

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:43:53 pm »

No you cant.
yes he cant.
._.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »

No you cant.
yes he cant.
I stand corrected, he is right to say the other he is wrong. My bad for being wrong, wronging the right person.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:36:06 pm »

Well, along the same line of thought as "only males have legs" couldn't you give males "legs" and females "shmegs" that are identical except for being paired with different clothing? Seems like a lot of work, even if possible, but just throwing ideas out there.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

Well, along the same line of thought as "only males have legs" couldn't you give males "legs" and females "shmegs" that are identical except for being paired with different clothing? Seems like a lot of work, even if possible, but just throwing ideas out there.
Unfortunately, no.  Pants are of the hardcoded ITEM_PANTS type keyed to the lower body.  I'm not sure its even possible to make any clothing item that covers nonstandard bodyparts (other than stuff like tails that gets lassoed in by UBSTEP and LBSTEP settings).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

Give females only an upper body, and males only a lower body? Then pants become male clothing and "armor" becomes female clothing? Changes the variety / number of pieces for each, and makes both harder to kill by being non-bisectable, but equally so?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:39:06 pm »

Give females only an upper body, and males only a lower body? Then pants become male clothing and "armor" becomes female clothing? Changes the variety / number of pieces for each, and makes both harder to kill by being non-bisectable, but equally so?
The upper body is the core that everything else connects to.  Not sure what would happen if you tried to build a creature with no upper body and everything else CONTYPEd to the lower body, though I'm sure some of the more experienced modders have tried it at some point.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

I believe it will either default to an upperbody, or just plain not work.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:28:49 am »

Could you make it so that females have a more detailed upper body (if you know what I mean)
and then make it so the clothing covers said details, and males, who don't have the details, aren't able to wear it then?
Regards,
Dampe

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:54 am »

Could you make it so that females have a more detailed upper body (if you know what I mean)
and then make it so the clothing covers said details, and males, who don't have the details, aren't able to wear it then?
no

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »

no

This. As I recall, things like breastplates/tunics cover the upper body. You can't define specific body parts for it to cover, just the next closest attached part. If you told it to do this, it would cover the detailed parts, the arms, etc as well. not effective for what you'd want it to do.
Pages: [1] 2