Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Making balls  (Read 20359 times)

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
Making balls
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:49 pm »

I want to know if it is possible to have a specific body part on one caste, but not the other?
If you must know, I'm doing this for !!FUN!! bits.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:07:15 pm by Scotsmen »
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Caste-specific bodies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »

Yep. Different castes can have different body parts. For a vanilla example, look at sheep.

Male sheep have horns, while females do not, as each caste has its own body tokens.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »

I want to know if it is possible to have a specific body part on one caste, but not the other?
If you must know, I'm doing this for !!FUN!! bits.
Yes, the castes could be completely different if you wanted.  Just declare the body, tissue and material stuff common to everyone before declaring the first caste.  Then within the caste you have a new BODY tag that adds new parts on.  These new parts are added to the end of the BODY definition, so they need to attach to something in the core BODY (you could also have no core BODY at all and declare the castes' BODYs from scratch).

So for example you could have

[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

early in the creature file, then later on have

[CASTE:MALE]
[BODY:2HEAD_HORN]

and only the males will have horns.  Of course, this works for custom bodyparts as well, but those need to defined elsewhere in body_*.txt files.

Edit: Ninja'd by BlackFlyme.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »

Awesome! Thanks. One problem though: If, for example, the new body part connects to the torso/chest region, will it be covered by a chestplate?
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:45:18 pm »

Awesome! Thanks. One problem though: If, for example, the new body part connects to the torso/chest region, will it be covered by a chestplate?
Probably not, since arms connect to the torso and arms aren't covered by the breastplate.

If the bodypart is INTERNAL then it would covered by the breastplate because it's inside the torso (e.g., liver).  If the bodypart is SMALL then it can't be targeted in combat and its coverage is irrelevant.  An EMBEDDED part is on the surface of a bodypart and can be targeted (e.g., eyes).  If the face is any guide, EMBEDDED parts are not covered by armor on the main bodypart (e.g., mouth is not protected by a helmet).

In any case, the new bodypart won't interfere with wearing a breastplate.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »

Hmmm... Oh well. Thanks for the help people, I am currently in the process of making the new parts.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 04:26:40 pm »

Armor can cover multiple body parts, for example, mail shirts cover the arms and cloaks cover the whole body.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor#Coverage
Quote from: Wiki
    [UBSTEP]

This token, when applied to torso armor, controls how far 'up' the body an item of armor reaches. Basically you can think of it as going out in stages along the body. It doesn't cover legs. It doesn't cover body parts with certain tags (notably [HEAD], [GRASP] and [STANCE], or the head). It can cover the children of such body parts (such as parts of the face) if it extends beyond them. The upper body and lower body are counted as 0 steps away, and so both always covered.

Breastplates have a default of 0, meaning they only cover the torso.
Mail shirts have [UBSTEP:1], so cover the upper arms and throat.

A number of clothing items have [UBSTEP:MAX]. What exactly this covers depends on a certain bug, but unless you are making adamantine robes you probably won't get that much extra protection this way anyway. This would mean, for example, they would cover the upper arm, lower arm, skip the hand, then cover the fingers. The same goes for facial features (and, oddly, the throat) after skipping the head and the toes after skipping the entire legs and feet.
The clothes with these properties seem to be robes, cloaks, coats, shirts and dresses. However, of these only robes and dresses also have [LBSTEP:MAX] (see below) and so I'm not sure if anything else would actually cover toes or not. Needs additional testing.

Testing in arena: in three 15x15 dwarves battles where both sides was equipped with iron battle axes and iron full armor and one of the teams was enforced with leather robes, team with robes was a victorious (2-3 survivors).

[LBSTEP]

This token, when applied to torso armor or pants, controls how much of the legs an item covers. Legs in this case are defined as [LIMB] body parts that end in a [STANCE] body part (e.g., foot). Arms are [LIMB]s, but end in a [GRASP] hand instead. Because the upper and lower body are effectively zero steps from each other, torso armor can extend this way easily.

Both greaves and leggings have [LBSTEP:MAX] and so cover the entire leg to the best of their ability.
Dwarven armor coverage chart

Mail shirts have [LBSTEP:1] and so can protect the upper legs. A range of other clothes (including cloaks) and leather armor also have this. As mentioned above, robes and dresses have [LBSTEP:MAX] and so cover the entire legs. These also have [UBSTEP:MAX] and so cover the entire body. Although not the strongest armor, a leather (or maybe adamantine?) robe or dress gives you maximum coverage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:09 pm »

So, basically a mail shirt would cover the breasts, but a breastplate wouldn't? Interesting... Anyway, here are my finished male parts:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:TESTICLES]
[BP:LT:left testicle:testicles][GUTS][LEFT][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY]
[BP:RT:right testicle:testicles][GUTS][RIGHT][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY]
The [GUTS] tag is so if they are injured, you get nauseated.
Tell me if I've done something wrong. I'm now beginning work on the female parts.

EDIT:
Aaand here are the female bits:
[BODY:BREASTS]
[BP:LB:left breast:breasts][LEFT][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY]
[BP:RB:right breast:breasts][RIGHT][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY]
This was actually a lot simpler than I expected. I'm testing to see if it works now.
EDIT: It appears to be there OK, but every attack on the testicles "passes right through". No clue what that means, but I was sort of looking forward to making people sick by kicking them in the balls.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:06:43 pm by Scotsmen »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Making balls
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

If attacks pass right through, it usually means that the attacking/attacked body part is missing tissues/materials.

You may need to alter or create a body detail plan.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »

Ah. Yes, that would be the problem.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 08:17:59 am »

Now you just need to make it so the Male becomes sterile after significant damage.

With how combat tends to send all sorts of parts flying it might even make it easier to generate extinct civilizations.  :o

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:45 am »

Now you just need to make it so the Male becomes sterile after significant damage.

With how combat tends to send all sorts of parts flying it might even make it easier to generate extinct civilizations.  :o

Unfortunately, this isn't quite possible without DFHack. If it were, I'd have genitals in all of my mods just for the practical purposes.

...It's possible with DFHack. Hmm. I could extend this to make effects in general happen when body parts are missing. Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm going to ask expwnent how modders should be interacting with this (since raw-based DFHack has sorta become Not A Good Thing for version control reasons)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »

You might be able to have the genitals contain a liquid or gas that "leaks" when punctured (there's a tag for that), and then give that substance a contact or inhalation syndrome that makes only dwarf males sterile?
Just call it "blood" in game (even though it's not) so that nothing seems really weird, but internally, it might do the trick.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:39 pm »

I'm not gonna bother with the sterilization bit. I do have two problems however.
One, how the hell do I add tissues to the parts?
Two, how do I make them variable lengths/sizes?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »

I'm not gonna bother with the sterilization bit. I do have two problems however.
One, how the hell do I add tissues to the parts?
Two, how do I make them variable lengths/sizes?
You can either select the entire bodypart and make it a single material ([SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TOKEN:TESTICLE][TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:TESTICLE:GUT]), tag it as one of the bodypart types already defined in VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS, or make a BODY_DETAIL_PLAN that lets you use your own layering.  Rough draft:

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SENSITIVE_PARTS]
    [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:BREAST:MUSCLE:5:FAT:100:SKIN:1]
    [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:TESTICLE:GUT:100:MUSCLE:5:SKIN:1]

As for sizes, look for the BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER tags inside the creature_standard file.  LENGTH is a valid descriptor, but I don't think there's a generic "bigness" one.
Just got back, updating:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4