Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisoner's Workshop?  (Read 2527 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Poisoner's Workshop?
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:44 am »

Is it possible to make a workshop that creates/applies poisons to weaponry, which adds syndromes to them when they wound a foe?

Would be interesting to gather rare materials and parts of various creatures/plants to create poisons and would be a fun industry to add.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoner's Workshop?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:49 am »

That's one of the earliest DFHack-reliant components Masterwork ever adopted, if not outright "commissioned" in the suggestion thread. The "add-spatter" plugin comes standard with the package and connects to reactions and workshops with some predetermined token hooks.

Just wait for r5 to recalibrate itself and you're good to go.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:18 am »

What if I'm not planning on using DFHack or anything of the sort, is this doable with base Vanilla?

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:06:17 am »

Oh, hell no. The problem is getting the poison stuff onto the blade itself.

The only way I could figure that could happen naturally if it was stabbed into a creature with naturally venomous blood, but then I'm pretty sure water would immediately wash it away or the next time it hit something "overwrote" it. There's a reason why people are jumping through hoops to get their way like this.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:38 am »

Then let's try this, instead of poisoning weapons would it be possible to create new traps that eject gas of said syndrome on trigger?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:12:29 am »

Can you find a way to spawn boulders made of stone that evaporates at room temperature? I can't think of one.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:13:25 am »

Can you find a way to spawn boulders made of stone that evaporates at room temperature? I can't think of one.

Man modding this game requires far more workarounds than I imagined.

Is there a "downside" to implementing DFHack into a mod?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:23:37 am »

Man modding this game requires far more workarounds than I imagined.

Is there a "downside" to implementing DFHack into a mod?
None whatsoever! It's actually quite easy to use too, and only adds functionality to the game. It makes your mod bulkier though, and you'll have more files etc. with dfhack though. Also you'll find you'll be making alot of dummy/gas inorganics for reactions and syndromes and things, and they break randomly generated creatures who often choose these odd materials for their structure. In a mod like Meph's masterwork mod, where his syndromes/event inorganics outnumber just about every other material, forgotten beasts simply cease to function because they'll choose a boil away syndrome stone 9/10.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:26:09 am »

Yea I wouldn't plan on using them frequently, I'm pretty sure there'd only be a small series of poisons anyway and then various materials can create the same final result to help cut down on amount of materials I'll need.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:30:31 am »

Also you'll find you'll be making alot of dummy/gas inorganics for reactions and syndromes and things, and they break randomly generated creatures who often choose these odd materials for their structure. In a mod like Meph's masterwork mod, where his syndromes/event inorganics outnumber just about every other material, forgotten beasts simply cease to function because they'll choose a boil away syndrome stone 9/10.
True, but new scripts work without fake inorganics, and dfhack-r6 will fix it for good.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:28 am »

If you stick to creature venom and plant extracts with that "greasing workshop", the hardcoded bits of the game are happily left alone.

And if it's traps you're concerned about, you could always coat bolts, darts or axe blades...

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:41:11 am »

I prefer weapon poisoning, if it was easy to do trap poisoning like gas traps and I couldn't do weapon in vanilla, I was going to do that.

But if DFHack doesn't really screw up anything with my mod, I'm just going to use it.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:38 am »

DFHack is actually almost a must these days. Besides all of the features it lets you have it also provides several bug fixes and performance enhancements. I think all new mods should try and implement DFHack if they can.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:35 am »

Sounds good, reminds me of Forge for Minecraft, effectively just a core API that fixed a lot of issues and added a ton of capabilities.