Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Making balls  (Read 19957 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making balls
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 04:38:54 pm »

body parts are all rectangular prisms in shape, so they have three dimensions that must be specified individually: LENGTH, BROADNESS, and HEIGHT.

Generally,for "bigness" you'd just vary all three of them the same amount, although I'm not sure if it uses the same random number for all three (as in, you might be able to end up with 95% of normal broadness but 110% of normal height in the same critter?).
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »

body parts are all rectangular prisms in shape, so they have three dimensions that must be specified individually: LENGTH, BROADNESS, and HEIGHT.

Generally,for "bigness" you'd just vary all three of them the same amount, although I'm not sure if it uses the same random number for all three (as in, you might be able to end up with 95% of normal broadness but 110% of normal height in the same critter?).
I was looking for a generic bigness descriptor for parts of a creature I was designing, and came up empty.  Multiple descriptors for the same bodypart appear to be completely uncorrelated.  ROUND_VS_NARROW is the closest match, and not really what I (or Scotsmen) wanted.  I've successfully put variable THICKNESS and LENGTH onto the arms of a spidery-like creature, so at least that is definitely possible.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »

Whatever. Balls come in all sizes AND shapes and we should all celebrate the glorious diversity of dwarven balls.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 01:05:31 am »

Hands down, best Testicle Science thread I've ever read.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 05:44:04 am »

You might be able to have the genitals contain a liquid or gas that "leaks" when punctured (there's a tag for that), and then give that substance a contact or inhalation syndrome that makes only dwarf males sterile?
Just call it "blood" in game (even though it's not) so that nothing seems really weird, but internally, it might do the trick.
Cut your own balls and then rub them on the faces of the whole civilization to make it go extinct.

I remember in my old genesis I killed a demon once by throwing his dick at his head and bruising his brain.

Go ahead young padavan, continue my work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:55 pm »

I've had problems with leaking tissue layers: they leak from wounds on body parts the tissue isn't present on. So if you had a fluid present in the testes and got a cut on your arm, it would all leak out through your arm.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 04:03:01 pm »

I've had problems with leaking tissue layers: they leak from wounds on body parts the tissue isn't present on. So if you had a fluid present in the testes and got a cut on your arm, it would all leak out through your arm.
I don't see this on the bug tracker, please submit a bug report if you can't find one either!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 06:22:04 pm »

I'll check the bug tracker, but in the meantime, here is what I get when I give a creature a subcutaneous fluid tissue on their lower body and cut their arm open:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The third part of the image is after running in circles until the fluid drained away.

Here's their raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I using the wrong tags or something?

There's a similar item on the bug tracker but it deals with a different issue than this. Should I submit a new report or add a note to that one?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:32:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »

looks right to me. It's possible that the only valid entry for it is "ALL" not "BODY_LOWER" since AFAIK the only vanilla examples are iron men and those rolly balls full of gas underground that are only in the arena. Both of which leak from all body parts.

In which case it might not be a "bug" per se, but pretty much a bug.

But I'm no expert on body mods, could have something wrong with it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:48 pm »

If the only valid entry is ALL, why would he make it an option in the first place?

Also, I think you also should try, say, BY_TOKEN:LB or BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY and see if those work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »

If the only valid entry is ALL, why would he make it an option in the first place?
That happens all the time in DF raws. A notorious example being the IT_REQUIRES tag and other that have its same set of restrictions. Where you can only add or remove like, 1/5th of all the possible creature tokens, for no apparent reason other than "those are things that vanilla interactions already mess with, so they are supported"

I don't know why he does it like that, but it seems to be a strong trend. I assume it's just an oversight usually, like there's an enum somewhere and he only added what he needed to it and never bothered to put everything in, for instance.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 11:19:58 pm »

That happens all the time in DF raws. A notorious example being the IT_REQUIRES tag and other that have its same set of restrictions. Where you can only add or remove like, 1/5th of all the possible creature tokens, for no apparent reason other than "those are things that vanilla interactions already mess with, so they are supported"

I don't know why he does it like that, but it seems to be a strong trend. I assume it's just an oversight usually, like there's an enum somewhere and he only added what he needed to it and never bothered to put everything in, for instance.

No, there's a very good reason for that: the tokens in IT_REQUIRES check for a special area inside the creature (in DFHack, it's unit.curse.add_tag/unit.curse.remove_tag or something like that) that flips a true/false flag in order to set that. This is because it's the creature raw that contains all tokens. Toady would have to add special logic for each and every token he adds to IT_REQUIRES and such to make them all work, and he would have to add an entirely new creature effect for each token that takes arguments.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »

???
It effectively just checks for the existence of a tag. I see no reason why you can't code that in generically in one fell swoop for any/all tags. Tags are a class type, I would hope, or something organized like that, that you should be able to refer to abstractly.

If he coded it in some weird way that doesn't allow that directly and only accomplishes it via some crazy roundabout scheme, then okay, but I'm not sure I would call that "a very good reason." A reason, sure, but more of a "mediocrely good stopgap reason"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

I havent read the entire thread, but making a creature sterile if they lose a specific bodypart is easy.

Give them an interaction that doesnt require anything and adds STERILE.
Give them an interaction that doesnt require anything and removes STERILE. Also adds a syn-class that blocks the first interaction.
Make the second interaction [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_TYPE:you super special thingy - aka PENIS]

If the bodypart goes missing, the creature cant run the second interaction on itself anymore, wont add the syn-class that blocks the first one, and with that turns itself sterile. The interactions could be re-applied every 5000 or so ticks, that means it checks every 5000 ticks if all the necessary bodyparts are still there. If not, sterile. If miracle healing, it will even remove sterile again.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 11:49:58 pm »

Haha "Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4