Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180585 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to magic
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

Curse you Beirus and your dark magics of unquatability. You are in for a ride though. Five shards will get you places. Wether the places will be good depends on the dice, but Fun is guaranteed.

Swipe my hand and amplify the force imparted in the air to generate wind (-1) in order to blow away the bees around me.

See, this is what I would call smart casting. If you were doing this saying "control wind, as wind is created by force" or something, you would had gained a penalty there. But since you are manipulating a force that is already there, no penalty for you. You retain your natural +1 for the cast.
But see, not all of us can do that.  Me, I would have to spend two actions to do something similar: one to start a fire and the next to manipulate it.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2014, 05:26:18 pm »

Go examine the rock. If it starts moving, stay a good distance away.
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

I can't even do something like this, because my affinity is fire and not chemical reactions:

Because fire is caused by a chemical reaction, manipulate existing chemical reactions to cause the target to spontaneously combust.  -1 for specification, -1 for ranged.

As a point of fact, because I chose fire, all I can do without massive penalties is directly manipulate fire itself, whereas most other people are able to do considerably more things with fairly low to nonexistent penalties.  For instance, Mr. Force guy could use a couple of modifiers to wave his hand through the air and amplify the force generated to pulverize someone.  In effect, I'm getting screwed over for my choice of affinity, because we didn't ask enough questions at the beginning.

You even said yourself I wasn't allowed to manipulate anything that was hot without taking massive penalties to the success roll.  But that's the entire point of choosing fire as an affinity: to be able to manipulate magma and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:31:37 pm by 4maskwolf »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »

I can't even do something like this, because my affinity is fire and not chemical reactions:

Because fire is caused by a chemical reaction, manipulate existing chemical reactions to cause the target to spontaneously combust.  -1 for specification, -1 for ranged.

As a point of fact, because I chose fire, all I can do without massive penalties is directly manipulate fire itself, whereas most other people are able to do considerably more things with fairly low to nonexistent penalties.  For instance, Mr. Force guy could use a couple of modifiers to wave his hand through the air and amplify the force generated to pulverize someone.  In effect, I'm getting screwed over for my choice of affinity, because we didn't ask enough questions at the beginning.

You even said yourself I wasn't allowed to manipulate anything that was hot without taking massive penalties to the success roll.  But that's the entire point of choosing fire as an affinity: to be able to manipulate magma and stuff.
You chose a affinity that was both overly vague and overly specific at the same time. We were warned. You always want general or specific not both. For example me and NAV. Runes are very general and can be used for a large number of things with small to medium penalties whereas NAV is restricted to healing and basic growth but xe does that very well. Fire is very specific but not very well defined. Heat probably would have been a better option as you could set things on fire as well as manipulate hot things if you're creative etc taking the heat from one side of a lava flow and adding it to the other to direct flow.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

You could easily cut out the part of conjuring a fire every time by carying something aflame with you. Say, a branch from that half burned forrest your character just left. And one thing fire is very good at is killing people, which is kinda the main thing I thought would be done in this game. You start with enough shards to get another afinity after a single kill no matter how many shards the person you killed had. And there are all kinds of magical fires that cause bullshit to happen, though no controling "hot" things, as anything burns when temperature is great enough. Giving you that would efectively give you control over all that is (and isin't) with a single -1 mod.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »

You could easily cut out the part of conjuring a fire every time by carying something aflame with you. Say, a branch from that half burned forrest your character just left. And one thing fire is very good at is killing people, which is kinda the main thing I thought would be done in this game. You start with enough shards to get another afinity after a single kill no matter how many shards the person you killed had. And there are all kinds of magical fires that cause bullshit to happen, though no controling "hot" things, as anything burns when temperature is great enough. Giving you that would efectively give you control over all that is (and isin't) with a single -1 mod.
I actually tried -3 on the thing, but that's besides the point.  Anyway, yeah, fire.  Fun.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2014, 06:17:55 pm »

((You guys just wait until I start manipulating the aether to create a current for a meteor strike.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2014, 06:40:16 pm »

Head south, attempting to grow healing fruit.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2014, 06:08:23 pm »

Turn 6
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

BOTTLE HARDER!!!!!!

CMP [2]
POT [1+2=3]

David tried once again, he carved his runes upon the ground, and focused his power upon them, trying to create containers of some description. He focused, both his talent and power, limiting outside disturbance by closing his eyes. When David looked around again, he found himself standing in a pit, roughly a meter deep.

Transform my arms (-1) back into their non-gold form.

CMP [2+1=3]
POT [1+1]

Kirby, severely upset by his arms suden increase in value, tried to revert them back in their original form. He realized that there was still much to learn when using newfound gold powers, as his eyebrows turned to gold.

((A portal that drains my powers? Definitely no negative effects from going through it. Nope, that definitely wouldn't be a thing.))

Through the portal!

Edit: Power the portal with all 5 of my shards.

LUCK [5]

There were times, when caution was advised. Usualy, those times and discovery of things that you have no idea how to operate are the same. Jase had decided that this was not such ocasion. He crushed all of his power shards on the portal, and stood back to enjoy what he had brought upon this land. A large oval apeared above the portal, cracling with energy colected from the shards that were crushed. With a loud tearing noise, fabric of reality reality within the ofal was riped away, revealing pasageway to other worlds. But the immage that was within the oval kept changing. A frozen wasteland. A lush jungle. Mountains of tiny rubies, piled up into hills, as if they were sand. Insides of a clockwork mechanism. Oval that limited the portal began to waver, and then collapsed. Mountain that contained the cave was blown away as if it was pile of sand in a huricane. When Jase came back to his senses, he noticed that surounding lands had drasticly changed.

"Tsk. Interesting, interesting..."

Grab the tool I can use as a decent weapon. Put a spell on it, concealing it's form.

LUCK [8]
CMP [1+1=2]
POT [3-1=2]

Looking around, Whaz discovers an increadibly dangeriously looking double edged greataxe, probably used to deal with people after they finished coughing up all their secrets. As he lifts up the axe, he notices that it is increadibly light, weighting barely half of what one would think it should. Whaz the tries to conseal his newfound weapon in shadows and, well, it looks slightly darker now.

Search the beach for anything from the shipwrecks. Especially bottles or wood to make a raft.

LUCK [1]
END [6]

James sets out on a trip to find something usefull among the shipwreck, as a mysterious box off in the watter claims his attention. James wades through the watter, it almost reaching his head and grabs the box. A brief look later the box turns out to be entirely empty. As James wades back towards the shore, he is surprised by sharp pain on his left leg. As he looks, he notices that it was a jelly fish that stung him. And that it wasn't alone. As James runs towards the shore, his legs get stung several more times, though as James is a decent healer who has dealt with many beasts, this hardly phases him.

Swipe my hand and amplify the force imparted in the air to generate wind (-1) in order to blow away the bees around me.

CMP [2+1=3]
POT [6+1=7]
END [1]

Crimson throws out a spell while swating away another annoying incect. His hopes of cleanly geting rid of all his problems are shatered by wind starting to blow every which way, cnocking just as many bees away from him as into him. His sight obstructed by leaves flying around, his mind obstructed by pain from many bee stings, Crimson runs himself straight into a tree and falls down unconcious.

continue to proceed towards the castle

((Is my heat-displacement thing still active?))

SPD [(4)/2+1=3]

Meanwhile Ryan was continuing his treck towards the castle, and was now next to the walls. If somone had been standing guard, they would had been increadibly confused by what apeared to be a moving sauna.

Go examine the rock. If it starts moving, stay a good distance away.

LUCK [8]

Leo decided to investigate this strange rock formation, and walks down towards it. As he closes in, the rocks turn out to be a shrine dedicated to the volcano. In the middle of the shrine there is a sacrificial altar, a large bowl filled with liquid magma.

Head south, attempting to grow healing fruit.

SPD [(5+1)/2+1=4]
CMP [2]
POT [2]

Isaac, deciding to explore for a while, or mabye to simply take a walk, travells out south. His good physicue allowing him to reach hills within a short ammount of time. His next growth project, however, creates less than desirable results in form of blue collored grass.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll put out map later as Jase decided that going in a portal is too mainstream and pulled out a landscape through it instead.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2014, 06:19:34 pm »

Try again to grow healing fruit!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »

MOAR POWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »

((Powerful mages don't go to different dimensions, they bring the dimension to them. Not sure if that was beneficial or not, though.))

Aether sense my new surroundings for anything interesting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:46:39 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »

Tentatively put a shard into the altar, to see what happens.
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »

Wake up then try to meditate to alleviate the pain.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2014, 08:27:38 pm »

Try again to grow healing fruit!
>:( :P

Heal the jellyfish stings, deposit the box on shore, and keep looking.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 506