Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1179947 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 105 Resisting the swarm is useless,bow to new overlords
« Reply #2475 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »

"The magical poison was a nice touch. There is something(s) you (probably) didn't consider, though."

"Oh? Poison? I used no poison in my bees! Only essence drain and explosions! Unless- blast those chaotic essences. That's it, you're dead."

Never mind my previous action. Alerim will keep backstabbing the mind control mage, my bees will sting him, and I'll use all my bees essences to make him feel the pain of any dying bees who stung him(let's throw in a shard for potency).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:06 pm »

"The magical poison was a nice touch. There is something(s) you (probably) didn't consider, though."

"Oh? Poison? I used no poison in my bees! Only essence drain and explosions! Unless- blast those chaotic essences. That's it, you're dead."

Never mind my previous action. Alerim will keep backstabbing the mind control mage, my bees will sting him, and I'll use all my bees essences to make him feel the pain of any dying bees who stung him(let's throw in a shard for potency).
*cackles even louder*
"Ah, soon you will realize your mistake."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 04, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »

moar essences
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 05, 2015, 01:28:19 am »

"I think you forget your main targets a bit too soon, beekeeper!"

Kahel observed the battlefield from afar. Magmatic animal acted just as he wanted, so it was a good time to do some damage to the opposing forces.

"Time for a second round..."

Do not anger the bear. If it goes aggro on me - run. As far as I can to the north, to prepare better.
If the bear can't follow elf - help it. Freeze Roast elf's leg to make him trip. Summon, Ranged.
Otherwise - heat-strike Jonas. Ranged.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:55:38 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:15 am »

Guess i'll summon a flaming shield with my +5/+5 bonus and 3 heat essences +1/+1

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 05, 2015, 06:02:21 am »

"Aww, 'E's adorable."
Feel for any major sources of luck in the area, then make an essence.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:12:18 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 05, 2015, 06:30:46 am »

Break the chain.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:58:56 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:22 am »

"Oooh, toys!! Now, what to do with them..."
Start tinkering around figuring out what the more complicated pieces do. 3 more essences.

((H4zardZ1: as stated in previous turn, you can't make gold essences. Only unpowered gold control allowed, apparently.))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:26:12 am by thegamemaster1234 »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 05, 2015, 02:03:51 pm »

Two more aether essences.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 05, 2015, 04:02:09 pm »

PM'd action.

Three essences.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:05:01 pm by Whisperling »

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 05, 2015, 08:16:22 pm »

Check if those leaves that got embedded in the rocks are still present. Then two more force essences.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 09, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »

((It is now Sunday DG))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 10, 2015, 04:40:05 am »

Turn 106

Use all my essence to create a bubble around me out of the alcohol in the air and the water, the bubble should only let in Oxygen, then enter the water and search for a fountain of Magic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clouds of alcohol converged upon Dwen, splashing themselves against an invisible barrier, covering it in a mist of intoxication. Brewmaster then stepped into the water and observed with satisfaction that liquid failed to penetrate the shield. Few more steps left Dwen entirely submerged, and it seemed that shield also filtered oxygen as he wanted it to. Checking how fast it was weakening Dwen calculated that it should last for at least {6 turn worth of time}. Of course, if there were any extra stress to the shield, say, someone attacked, the strength could dissipate far more quickly. Thus, with caution, brewmaster walked forth over the bottom of the lake, eyeing various bits and pieces of meat still floating around with suspicion. And it turned out that his paranoia was justified, as red mist of blood coalesced into vaguely humanoid shape. A blood elemental. It would seem that magic power within slain beast remained within its blood and manifested in a malevolent spirit.

*chuckles evily*

Pm'd stuff.

"I think you forget your main targets a bit too soon, beekeeper!"

Kahel observed the battlefield from afar. Magmatic animal acted just as he wanted, so it was a good time to do some damage to the opposing forces.

"Time for a second round..."

Do not anger the bear. If it goes aggro on me - run. As far as I can to the north, to prepare better.
If the bear can't follow elf - help it. Freeze Roast elf's leg to make him trip. Summon, Ranged.
Otherwise - heat-strike Jonas. Ranged.

Alerim and Jonas moved in a coordinated accord against Marcus, magic and blade striking at the same time. Yet for all the effort, a result was not to bee. Alerims strike resulted in a minor cut across Marcus left leg, and Jonas magic, while successful, only momentarily distracted their enemy. It would seem that somewhere along the way Marcus had developed some sort of resistance to pain transferred from elsewhere.

Marcus himself meanwhile, noticed that magma bear was getting increasingly close, something he was somewhat averse to, being allergic to bear fur. Not wanting to deal with it, he ran towards Jonas, something that bee mage confused for a charge and was very surprised to see Marcus run past him. Then he noticed that magma bear was not trying to eat Alerim, who skilfully dodged attempted mauling, only catching occasional magma droplet from the bear with his flesh. Suddenly, the snow around Jonas melted, and air temperature jumped good fifty degrees, from cold winter to midsummer midday in a matter of few seconds. Looking back Jonas could see Kahel swearing in the distance.
{Marcus, Bleedout 9 turns}

3 more essences
"Aww, 'E's adorable."
Feel for any major sources of luck in the area, then make an essence.

After summoning the velociraptor, Sevas' magical powers were drained, so he returned to meditating for now. Gambler, meanwhile, was planning a treasure hunt. There should be something lucky within the woods. Maybe some charm left over from adventurers who got into a situation where luck wasn't enough? Gambler spread out his spell, not too strong as not to wake anything nasty, and he felt a resounding ping from a treetop just slightly above him. Did a bird grab a lucky shiny for its nest?

Take off my tinfoil hat and broken jetpack, into the box they go.

Try to turn my glass cube into some sort of gauntlet or armguard. It would be awesome if it had powered joints to increase my strength, but a non-powered armguard would be okay. This is mostly for aesthetic reasons, I don't want to be carrying around a big weapon or cube all the time.

Summon some scuba gear to hunt for treasure underwater.
Also 2 healing pills.

Ask the tree:
Hey, do you mind growing some furniture? Up to you of course, it's your body."

It was time for some underwater exploration, and James had the advantage of always being one spell away from prepared. From quickly becoming usual portal, he pulled out decent looking scuba set, tanks filled with proper breathable air. At his request, wood within the treehouse began to shift and bulge, forming a table and few chairs around it. All of which were as spiky as most of the floor. Was it still bitter for being around mages or was that supposed to be a developing sense of humor?

moar essences

Flare was meditating, no longer actively planning what he would do further. For now, he was trying to use his subconsciousness to think, just waiting without any active thought, waiting for an idea to emerge.

Guess i'll summon a flaming shield with my +5/+5 bonus and 3 heat essences +1/+1

Ancano was only momentarily surprised by the surge of arcane power, and quickly began spending it. He created two plates of solid heat, one temperate and other searing hot, and then conjoined them into one. A handle formed on temperate side, completing Ancanos' shield. It was hard to even aproach the hot side, and being struck with it could inflict serious burns, yet the temperate part protected user from unwanted tan. A defence and offence in one.

Break the chain.

Eterna kicked the chain holding throne captive by anchoring in a wall. The chain budges, although only a bit. Damned be the elasticity of metal! Eterna kicked again, then again and then a few more times. Finally, the chain popped out of the wall. Not quite breaking, but good enough.

Two more aether essences.

Jase was meditating near the end of the world, wondering why there was no life here. Was it chased away by energies of the Edge? They were strong enough to be felt even by those unatuned, although they would probably not understand what they are sensing. Would probably feel quite creepy, possibly enough to avoid the place.

PM'd action.

Three essences.

Viznor sat down on the flesh fields which did not seem too far beyond his understanding for some reason. What had changed to cause such sudden understanding. A voice whispered from somewhere. Ah, so that’s what the fleshy tongues were.

Check if those leaves that got embedded in the rocks are still present. Then two more force essences.

Not feeling too keen on dealing with the tree, Crimson flew over to where he saw crystalline leaves to shatter stones. They were still there, entirely undamaged by collisions. Sharp edges were now rather obvious, but it should be easy to pull a few out which weren’t too deeply buried in stone.

"Oooh, toys!! Now, what to do with them..."
Start tinkering around figuring out what the more complicated pieces do. 3 more essences.

Jiksap could not stop himself. He did not want to stop himself. Constructing using unknown parts, led entirely by whims was a hobby he could not leave unindulged. Box was soon left with only few gaslamps and cogs within, and before Jiksap stood a curious looking clockwork device shaped like a backpack with absurd number of various lightbulbs antennas and bells. It had straps on it to be carried as a backpack, and it was something of great value. A thaumic disruptor, better known as spellcatcher. Satisfied with results, Jiksap returned to focusing power, yet was met with another unexpected surprise. His focus wavered essence collapsed, opening up a portal above now nearly empty box. Various chrome covered bits and pieces, parts of a new type, filled the box to the brim again. What a lucky day for a 3D puzzle enthusiast that Jiksap was.
Spoiler: Thaumic distruptor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:28:38 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 106 Most harmless combat
« Reply #2489 on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:30 am »

So far the answers I see to the five questions are:
1)Rules are fine.
2)Yes to random encounters
3)Yes to terain modifiers.
4)Yes to extra dragon tier stuff

If you have nothing extra to add, those shall be implemented next turn.

5) Honestly, I always thought the system of modifiers was a bit strange. When your range of spells is freeform, limited only by the scope of your affinities, one-size-fits-all shortcuts seem a little out of place. Giving a -3 to someone with the "stealth" affinity for making something invisible doesn't make much sense, nor does it make sense for the "animated" modifier to be as difficult for someone using "change."

As I see it, when you put a modifier on something, you're actually enchanting it or granting it some additional property. Why not allow players to enchant and modify properties without restricting them to a small group of adjectives? You could apply control penalties which reflect the degree of separation between their affinities and the new properties, rather than using a rigid system.

We have left the restrictions long ago. Curently they are there so that people have a general idea how hard it might be to do what they are trying to do, or to simply give people ideas of what to do.

5. Quests. Or clearer goals (stated by the player?). As of now, most mages simply do things for their own amusement. Which is fine, yet...
5+. Several mage NPCs? They can serve as questgivers or use players to achieve their goals more subtly. It is also possible to trade. And, of course, to battle.))

The masterquest is to get 100 shards. This makes ou ascend into godhood, which is the goal of those gathered here. Or it should had been a long time ago. Extra mages could be treated as the ubermonsters of question 4, giving out extra quests since they can't (be bothered) to do stuff themselves.

5b: I personally think a permanent +1 to potency rolls should cost 12 shards and not 18.

Is now a poll.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:50:01 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 506