Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1179812 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 107 Blademasters and Bladedancers
« Reply #2565 on: August 15, 2015, 02:42:32 pm »

((Welcome to the forums! Please don't get in my way.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 15, 2015, 02:46:20 pm »

Affinity: Paleomage (able to summon and/or control any extinct animal)

((I'm rather perplexed at the phrasing of this affinity, though it does promise some interesting options.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 15, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »

Affinity: Paleomage (able to summon and/or control any extinct animal)

((I'm rather perplexed at the phrasing of this affinity, though it does promise some interesting options.))
For instance, he couldn't summon a creature while he already has one, due to it no longer being extinct. He could, however, summon creatures of the same species simultaneously.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 15, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »

Oh, blast you, Baker! Still can't get my name right! How's the dinosaur studies going? Visited any parks?

((It's of note that it is common practice to provide at least three example spells instead of some rough definition if the affinity doesn't appear obvious enough. For paleomancy, I'd put these:
-Summon extinct animal
-Control extinct animals
-Transform things/people into extinct animals
As Sarrak mentioned, this pivots upon the determined meaning of the word 'extinct' in the context of the game. For mechanics, I suggest that an 'extinct' creature is one that, at one point, ceased to exist; a passenger pigeon would be just as much a candidate as a T-Rex, though neither would be considered 'un-extinct' simply by having been summoned by magical means. If a mating pair runs off and suddenly there's raptors all over the place, that's a different matter entirely.

Oh yes, and one last important thing:
Your first turn is when you join, not the turn after.
Use this turn for whatever (generally, you can't go wrong with a few essences and/or a move, though an attempt at an opening spell is also viable)))
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:52:08 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »

Beirus and Whisperling have yet to post. Since Whisperling not having posted yet is kinda my fault and invovles quite a few other players, if they do not post actions in next 30mins, turn will be delayed for 12 hours (untill tomorow morning(ish)).
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 16, 2015, 03:36:09 pm »

Do the friend making thing I do on the stone crab, have it lead me to its leader. Maybe use one +1/+1 essence if my net CMP/POT bonus is less than +1/+1.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »

Beirus and Whisperling have yet to post. Since Whisperling not having posted yet is kinda my fault and invovles quite a few other players, if they do not post actions in next 30mins, turn will be delayed for 12 hours (untill tomorow morning(ish)).

((I wouldn't say it's your fault- there isn't really much I can do about the situation IC. I guess I have been somewhat preoccupied though.))

Anyway, PM'd action.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 17, 2015, 05:27:40 am »

Turn 108

"eheh, hope i dont cause a forest fire"

explore. Anything of interest? Any mage creeping around? Any reason why i wouldnt make two essences?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ancano moved forth to the trees, wondering around them, searching for something out of place. Magical objects always gave off a detectable aura, and while no mage could really feel it without concentrating, most mages would be able to recognize a magical ring out of a pile of fifty identical non-magical ones. But in a forest, there were some things that were not meant to be seen. Hidden, non-magical things, like spider webs. Ancano, focused in his search for traces of magic, managed to walk right into one, hanging from a branch just at face level. While heat mage was busy removing the annoying strands, a thin trail of smoke rose from nearby bush. By the time Ancanos face was clear of unfortunate annoyance, tiny tongues of flame were licking dried up leaves of the bush.

"You... Will... Be... Mine!!!!

Take control of the blood elemental by controlling the alcohol in it

Dwen did not want to deal with the elemental too long. The shield, although rechargeable, was very temporary. He felt that even with low alcohol content within the blood elemental, it was worth a try to control it. Yet the magic for controlling a body via alcohol within it was one Dwen had not used for a very long time. To adapt it to a being that was held together with magic was a herculean task. As brewmaster finished his chant, he could feel his body twitch lightly, but beyond that, nothing else happened. The blood elemental was surprisingly intelligent and was busying itself by showing it off in the meantime. Seeing how easily Dwen had managed to dodge his attack before, it switched to faster but weaker mode, shooting out tiny pellets of blood. A few managed to hit Dwen, draining his shield further.
{3 turns worth of shield left.}

"Noooo fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck that was David's cube"

((I think you forgot my +1 endurance and my adamantine armour. That would probably make it hurt less.))
Heal myself with 2 +1/+1 essences. Gosh darnit, I have stuff to do. Can't be wasting time and spells being injured.

Upon closer inspection and examination, James expert medical opinion was that it looked way worse than it was. Oh sure, it was plenty bad, especially on the unprotected face (at least it felt like it), but adamantine armor stopped the glass from hitting anything too vital and natural toughness from time spent traveling was enough to protect major blood vessels. Picking out largest shards of glass was a bit painful, not to mention increased blood loss from removing blockage in the wound, but it would be enough. James cast a spell, empowered by his previous preparations, that was enough to heal all of the wounds, although a few scars would remain from the largest ones.

Now that Shias was in the forest it was time to call out guardians of the forest. It is only polite to ask permission to stay and wander within when dealing with obviously magical forests. And in case guardians are angry, it is recommended to ask if any deeds are needed.

While waiting guardians to arrive and speak, Shias meditates creating three plant essenses.
hello,who are you?
2 more essences
"'Ello there! 'Elcome to our little neck o' the woods. Please don't make trouble, if ya will."
Greet the new 'un, then go a bit closer to the center of the forest and send out another ping. 2 +1/+1 essences.

Seva and Gambler gained a rare chance - to see a druid interact with the forest. Several sprites of magic landed on nearby branches, responding to the call of the druid. "It has been long since we had seen one of your kind. These forests have suffered from mages many times in the past. You are allowed free passage through all but the deepwoods. To be allowed to the sacred glades you will need to prove yourself. Bring the head of one who has threatened our very existence - the mage who wields the power over alcohol, and you shall be allowed to roam freely. After having transferred the message, sprites dissolved on the tree branches they were resting on, leaving blooming blossoms.

Although the spectacle was rather unique chance for those who were not druids, Seva and Gambler quickly returned to their original objectives. For Seva this was merely meditation, but Gambler resumed his treasure search. And was met with unsuccessful result for the first time. The treasure of Garonatyr, known for its great abundance of precious stones,  the location of it was now firmly within Gamblers mind. Yet, this usually precious information was useless to Gambler, since the treasure was hidden in another dimension, within the plane known as The Fields of Glory where spirits of fallen warriors met to resolve their grudges left over from times when they were still trapped within flesh. Then again, there might be some use for this, Gambler thought, remembering the portal through which he came here.

Professor Jiksap notices the appearance of the new mages with glee.

"Guinea pigs have arrived! Not done setting up yet though."

Summon another puzzle (random electrical parts)! 3 more essences.

Jiksap attempted to summon another one of puzzles he enjoyed so much. They were so wonderful, those puzzles of a box of spare parts - each one had so many correct configurations and Jiksap wanted to try out them all. Yet it seemed that his luck with puzzles had ended - instead of a new puzzle a single gear appeared. It would seem that the area was devoid of free puzzles and it was time to see what world had prepared for him

Tch. It seems like his blade was not carried over with him. Well, it didn't matter. He'd just need to create a new one...
Alexander the Second starts creating(-1) a sword of iron(-1).

Alexander was deeply disturbed by a lack of a proper cutting implement by his side. His sword was missing, his backup sword was nowhere to be found, and the rapier named "Plan C" had seemingly vanished in thin air. This was not a state any self-respecting blademaster should find himself in. To remedy the current situation, Alexander decided to do the standard tactic he designed for "Low on sharp instruments" scenario - summon more swords. The first attempt did not go too well though, an iron cube appeared before him, with all edges sharpened - as Alexander discovered by trying to pick the cube up. It was almost like this place had something against people going back on time favored method of stabbing anyone who was against you in the kidneys.

"mmm....how to best set up....3 perpetual motion engines arranged in an array and linked to mana converters? or maybe I could use one more powerful one but lose one and I lose the whole golem......."

more power. need more power

Flare was still busy with his blueprints. There were simply too many ideas! He had allready figured out the basic model, but there were so many ways to improve it. Maybe even a few too many ways, Flare though, discarding another sub-optimal design.

Take off my helmet then try to merge one crystal leaf with it using my force magic. One force essence after taking note of the experiment's results.

Crimson put away the harvest of the crystal tree. Neither Crystals nor trees tended to just walk away, so a crystal tree would certainly not. It took a bit of experimenting, but Crimson managed to find an application for the crystalline leaves. The helmet he had used for experiments was now covered in crystalline sheen, protected by a layer of crystalline material. The layer from just one leaf was unlikely to do much though.

"Finish him! Finish him!"

"It doesn't seem necessa-AGH!"
A spasm of electricity wracks Jonas.
"Wrong answer. When you're dealing with dying mages, they have no reason to abstain from blasting all their shards at you in one uber-powerful spell."

"Mind control mage must be finished..."

Jonas has Alerim remove Marcus' head before he(Marcus) has a chance to cast. Meanwhile, Jonas turns to the magma bear and speaks thusly: "Lo, agent of the great volcano, I sense and see your hostility towards me and my elf minion Alerim. All things considered, I'm removing your foes from this area by ending their lives! Once I'm done with this fight, I'll take the dead mages' loot and then leave your territory, going after that temperature mage. You have no reason to fight me. If you would like to claim a portion of the dead mages' shards as your own, I have no issue with that."

((If you haven't figured it out, the visor is the main reason Jonas is being so homicidal.))
"var homicide++;"

"Kill-kill-exterminate-kill-kill-die-exterminate-kill-die-exterminate!"

After I'm done talking with the bear, be sure to kick in the mind control mage's skull. Twice.
"Hm. So, you already think about this loot as yours? Well, I sadly can't deny you Markus, but as about others... I think I have a much more valuable research to conduit and can't spare these shards."

Come closer and gather shards from the corpses while it is still possible. Beware of the bear, ignore mild distractions that my shield should deal with.

---

If even partly successful and not dead:

"Heed my decree, Universe! I, Kahel the Changer, master of heat and cold alike, call forth a creature from the fiery depths of Abyss itself, to serve me in my ultimate quest!"

Short of breath after the mighty shout, Kahel whispered mostly to himself:

"May it be intelligent, at very least."

((7 Shards crushed for a minion. If I have more shards, the creature summoned is not powerful enough (<6 LUCK) AND does not pose a specific interest (knowledgeable/has special abilities), immediately follow with:))

"And now, my second decree! Just as the Abyss has provided me its denizen, so will the icy Cocytys! Come forth, a demon of freezing! Heed my will and join my quest!"

Exhausted, he could only add:

"Lets hope for the better..."
Quote from: ATHATH
Stuff

Marcus blinked. Shock had dealt with the pain, but his mind was still dizzy. He knew he had to move, to cast at least one more spell, to take revenge to... Alerim leaped backwards, his job done, Marcus now headless, he did not want to stay near the bear.  The bear was midswing to strike Alerim again when he jumped, so it just placed the foot back on the ground, seemingly annoyed by the small biped running away. Then again, it could had been annoyed by Jonas attempts to diplomance it. Alerim did not know, for he had never learned the mysteries of bear lore. Meanwhile, just as bear moved towards Jonas, crushing Marcus body on its way, Kahel, having sprinted all the way back to the battlefield, quietly collected soul shards from Doctor and Harden. He wanted allies, allies to kill Jonas with, so he crushed seven shards to call himself a companion. First attempt went to heck, as from a portal appeared a glass spider, no bigger than a tarantula. It could be useful later, but it was not what he wanted right now. So Kahell called again, and this time results were far more agreeable. From the portal entered a creature seemingly made of sharp edges. An ice demon, with sharp claws, spikes on its back, and a grin that occupied most of the face, showing off sharp teeth that were at least as long as its claws. The demon bowed to Kahel, showing off just how huge the spikes on its back were, and asked "who will it be today?"

"That doesn't work. Next."
Turn the throne's legs into wheel.

Work smarter not harder, thought Eterna and sat in the throne. He extended his magic through it, forcing the throne itself to change. There were some difficulties, as shaping an artifact with the artifacts own power is a council approved method of destroying unwanted items, but Eterna managed. As he stood back up and looked at the throne it now had a set of six wheels, three on each side. They were small and mounted on intricate axles so that they could turn if needed. Considering the amount of rubble and assorted tight corners, this would undoubtedly prove useful.

Do the friend making thing I do on the stone crab, have it lead me to its leader. Maybe use one +1/+1 essence if my net CMP/POT bonus is less than +1/+1.

Golems of all kinds are notoriously resistant to magic. But there is a weakness in their resistance, there had to be, otherwise the golem controlling items would not exist. Jace attempted to exploit this weakness, yet in his attempt he forgot to include the proximity to the close by mass of magic that held the air inside within the island. Aether was perturbed, and the link of magic between Jace and crab was rendered unstable as well. Jace barely managed to stop the spell before he became a lightning rod for aether discharge. The crab began calmly eating nearby peebles.

From the portal emerged a new figure, a mage of things that no longer were, Bob T. Baker, crafter of forgotten dreams. Well known for his talents, especially the capability of summoning horrors that eclipsed even most fiendish creatures of the current day. Yet for now, his plan included less unleashing hell and more having a chat with an old friend and colleague scientomagus.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 108 Wheel of samsara
« Reply #2573 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:16 am »

In unrelated news, I can't handle alcohol. At all.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: August 17, 2015, 06:14:19 am »

"See? I've told you that primordials were not to be trifled with! But you wouldn't listen..."

Done with mocking beemasters futile attempt, Kahel turned to his newly-acquired demon.

"It was good for you to join. I foresee us both gaining from it. For now, deal with bee mage. His elf is worthless, but do not anger the bear while it goes after them."

If a good chance to harvest last debt from Marcus occurs - do so. Else, craft three essences. If disturbed - smash attackers knee with a staff. Retreat in case of bear danger.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: August 17, 2015, 06:33:30 am »

((Would someone remind me of the efect of chaotic metal essences))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:28 am »

Hey, when i said "any reason why i wodnt make 2 essences" i actually meant to craft them.

seeing that staying with this shield here is not a good idea, proceed to go ttowards that ship thing  and craft two essences

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:21 am »

((This turn overrules my previously proposed backup vacation turn.))

"Oh dear, my luck is running out. Perhaps now is the time for more planned actions. But I liked being crazy! Waaah! Maybe I can be PLANNED crazy! What a thought!"
Summon a cluster of taser bolts for crossbow, using 2 essences. Then create 2 more essences.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 17, 2015, 08:13:48 am »

"Hmph."
Send out another pulse, and head toward any pings that appear, if they're reasonably safe and accessible.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:49:46 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 17, 2015, 08:32:52 am »

James goes to talk to that strange mage making all the machines.

"Hello there. You wouldn't happen to be a technomancer, would you? I have a machine I need fixed."

Make 3 healing essences while I wait for Jiksap to respond.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:11:43 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 506