Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180249 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 108 Wheel of samsara
« Reply #2610 on: August 19, 2015, 02:29:06 pm »

((It's like DreamerGhost is somehow managing to do what piecewise and Wwolin were unable to when their arena deathmatch games went open world. Nice job, DG.))

Try it again. This time with two +1/+1 essences
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 19, 2015, 02:37:06 pm »

((Yeah, major props for running a game this large.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »

((It's like DreamerGhost is somehow managing to do what piecewise and Wwolin were unable to when their arena deathmatch games went open world. Nice job, DG.))

((To be fair, they probably make a proper plot instead of making shit up as it goes along.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:27 pm »

Remember that this is DG's first game on this forum.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

Ptops even more
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »

((To be fair, they probably make a proper plot instead of making shit up as it goes along.))
((Just to say, if you make up random shit long enough, it suddenly starts to seem like a thought-out and deep plot. Even to yourself.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 19, 2015, 04:47:17 pm »

((Even if you don't have a plot, both the fact that you've kept an interesting open world going for over 100 turns without a hitch, and the fact that you've managed to let players choose their own spells without anything becoming broken is pretty amazing. I personally love how you manage magic, and I bet I'm not the only one.))

Viznor uses a spell of finding to give himself directions to every mage on the island, living or dead. Afterwards, two essences.

((Well, maybe it's a bit metagamey, but I don't want to comb through the thread every time I need to figure out where something is.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 19, 2015, 07:48:49 pm »

Turn 109

"See? I've told you that primordials were not to be trifled with! But you wouldn't listen..."

Done with mocking beemasters futile attempt, Kahel turned to his newly-acquired demon.

"It was good for you to join. I foresee us both gaining from it. For now, deal with bee mage. His elf is worthless, but do not anger the bear while it goes after them."

If a good chance to harvest last debt from Marcus occurs - do so. Else, craft three essences. If disturbed - smash attackers knee with a staff. Retreat in case of bear danger.
"You think you can outnumber meeeee??? We'll see about that!"

Jonas crushes 7 shards for another non-magical minion! He then loots Marcus' corpse for all its shards and then crushes 7 shards for yet another non-magical minion! Heck, he keeps crushing shards until he's summoned as many minions as possible!

Meanwhile, Alerim attempts to use Kahel as a meat shield for protection from magma bear and ice dude. If no attacks come, he just backstabs Kahel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jonas did not like the odds. There was him and Alerim against a temperature mage and ice demon. Not too terrible, but there was also the bear, and Jonas was not a betting man. He wanted a bit of a boost to his victory chances. So he crushed seven shards of his own, and before him appeared a dwarf, sturdy built, with muscles that looked like stone boulders. He was shirtless, although his chest could not too well be seen over his beard. In each hand he had iron knuckles that ended with a blade that would have fit on a halberd. On his head he wore a skull of something large with equally large fangs, seemingly dozens of them. "Greetings, to you who sounds the horn of battle. There is fighting to be done, and I swear on my name, I, Bofrec Whitfoot shall..." The dwarf trailed off, paused in his introduction by the surprise of seeing Jonas run off right into a bear of magma.

Jonas wanted the crystals that were on Marcus' corpse. The bear was large and lumbering. Dodge the creature, get the shards, and kill all who oppose. It was nice simple plan that did not work out too well since the bear was smarten than given credit for. Instead of striking with full power, it traded impact strength for speed. Jonas could only scream in pain as searing hot paw struck him, vaporizing liquid in skin and cocking flesh underneath. Jonas fell, unable to withstand the pain, and as bear lifted its paw for another strike on now immobile target, from somewhere away came a husky voice. "The fuck is happening. God damnit you furless beast, you shall not claim him!"

Slightly further away Kahel was waiting for his chance. Bear was moving towards Jonas and away from Marcus corpse. Wait what? Where is he running? No! The bear now is busy mauling him mere meters away from the shards! But... Where is the elf? Demon turned towards Kahel and moved ahead with intent to kill, giving temperature mage all the warning he needed. Kahel dived to the ground Just as Alerims hand swiped where Kahel's neck was moment ago. The demon did not dawdle given the chance to shed blood. Its long claws sunk d deep into Alerims' shoulder, where they converged on the joint between bones. First there was a loud *pop* as bones were separated, then demon twisted its hands, cutting flesh around the shoulder, and with a final tug, tore Alerims left hand off completely. Sound of sizzling blood as it fell on nearby magma rocks was drowned out by elf’s screams.

Hey, when i said "any reason why i wodnt make 2 essences" i actually meant to craft them.

seeing that staying with this shield here is not a good idea, proceed to go ttowards that ship thing  and craft two essences

Ancano did not want to burn down the forest. For now, at least. There was a lake full of shipwreck. Those should be safe to explore, damp wood wouldn't burn too well, right? Of course right, he was never wrong. It took being an ancient elf, but Ancano was never wrong. Even when he said he was wrong it was to trick lesser beings. Just to prove that he expected the bush to catch fire, Ancano moved out of the forest at the speed of a run, the most conspicuous way possible. Off to the lost treasures.

((This turn overrules my previously proposed backup vacation turn.))

"Oh dear, my luck is running out. Perhaps now is the time for more planned actions. But I liked being crazy! Waaah! Maybe I can be PLANNED crazy! What a thought!"
Summon a cluster of taser bolts for crossbow, using 2 essences. Then create 2 more essences.

Jiksap reached out through aether. Creating complex bolts was somewhat boring. Oh of course the complexity and compactness was interesting, like making a pocket watch, but after the second it would become repetitive and that was no fun at all. And so he pulled from aether a bunch of uniform bolts, all of which had been built for a crossbow without a tube. They all as one were too large, with too many stuck out bits. Half of them were not even working; they barely even tingled as Jiksap tested them out. This could be resolved later, and Jiksap sank back into the music place. There was a melody there, which never ended and never repeated. It was a nice place. Yet as he sat there was a *clang* within the melody, there was an error of some sort. As Jiksap opened his eyes again, essence went critical, arcs of electricity spilled from Jiksap, they struck the bolts, melting the annoying extra bits and charging the engines that were there. Then it continued, fusing and changing tiny pieces within the bolts. As the power finally faded, there was a pile of bolts next to Jiksap, not two of them same, yet all fitting his crossbow. How nice.

"Hmph."
Send out another pulse, and head toward any pings that appear, if they're reasonably safe and accessible.

There was something nearby enough, Gambler could feel it. Although he was not able to tell where exactly, he felt like he knew the directions. Go twenty steps north, then turn left, move until you see a large stone with a spot that looks like a dog on it. It was not too far, although if Gambler left, he knew he'd not find this place again. Before him was a chest embed in a boulder of iron ore with ten identical buttons.

James goes to talk to that strange mage making all the machines.

"Hello there. You wouldn't happen to be a technomancer, would you? I have a machine I need fixed."

Make 3 healing essences while I wait for Jiksap to respond.

James walked off to Jiksap. He seemed to be in meditation, so James decided to politely wait until the man finished. There never was any sense in antagonizing those from whom you wanted help, far less of it when you wanted help from a technomancer. Most technomancers were... Ah. There is electricity arching off him. All technomancers claimed to have a place in their mind where a melody ran eternally. He was there and he was as mad as the rest of them. Well, he probably won't mind the blood on, well, everything then.

Huh, I wonder what that alchohol Mage did to the forest? Also, do you smell smoke or am I just still hallucinating?

summon another velociraptor,same size as the first. Use all non-chaotic CMP boosting essences(there should be 4)
Another three essences. Find mushrooms within area I have been permitted into (a bit northward).

"I do not know, but probably something bad. Smoke? Maybe..."

Seva wanted another bird. Just the same as this one, they were just too cute. For some reason it was even more adorable at this size. Well, at least he thought so. The forest disagreed, judging from the silence, there were no animals left nearby. The portal to unrealities opened and another velociraptor appeared in the forest. Now if he wanted he'd be able to choose which velociraptor to ride!

Shias was not enjoying the spectacle too much. Animals that were extinct for so long should not be disturbed, but it was more a unwritten rule for druids rather than something worth punishing. There was smoke and he went off to investigate. What he found was a slightly singed bush. Were pixies trying to trick shepherds again?

((I'm 1 turn away from the surface right?))

"Bah I will deal with you later."

Retreat to the surface and then empower the shield and make 2 essences

((Yes))

Dwen rose to the surface but blood elemental cut him off. Once more he was forced to dodge at speeds that would damage the shield. Shield was beginning to fail, Dwen could feel that it would not last too long. But it would last enough. The maneuver allowed Dwen to bypass the elemental and surface. The air was still filled with gaseous alcohol. Dwen refilled his shield and looked downwards, at the blood elemental eagerly swimming towards him.
[3.5 Turns of shield left.]

Now that just won't do.
Transform(-1) the iron cube(-1) into a proper sword.

Alexander was displeased with the cube, but it too could serve a purpose. Purpose of being raw materials in his work. Alexander lightly tugged on one of the corners, distending the cube, his magic forming the shape into that of a blade. As the magic finished, Alexander held in his hand a bastard sword of iron, sharp and trustworthy.

I look for Professor Jigzap. Upon spotting him, walk up to him and greet him, saying "Is there anything I can do to help you with your current puzzle, my old friend?" Then craft two essences.

Bob headed over to his old friend. There was another mage there, waiting for something. Ah, Jigzap was listening to the melody again. Funny thing it was. But he always hated when people interrupted him. He too would have no choice but to wait. Well, may as well make use of the time, thought Bob sinking into meditation of his own.

Alright, now try to use two more crystal leaves to reinforce the helmet. After that, successful or not, move back to the tree.

Second attempt was kind of successful. Not in a way Crimson wanted, but it was actually beneficial. The next two leaves were rather uncooperative in joining the first within the helmet. They broke into relatively large shards, but did not break down further. Crimson attempted to ground them into the helmet, but was a bit too forceful. Magic mixed, and now his helmet had small spikes, on both inside and outside. If his head wasn't metal, it would have been quite painful, but now the helmet was useless to anyone but Crimson. Well, unless they too had extra thick skull or a lack of pain receptors.

Jace was ready this time. Ward from outside energy? Check. Ward designating exact target? Check. Ward that would redirect a discharge? Check. All seemed in place and Jace cast his magic. The crab froze in place for a moment, then slowly turned walked up to Jace. Aethermage could feel a link between them, the crab was nothing too complex, but it did know some locations. It couldn't speak, and memory transfers were usually not a very good idea but he could make it work. If needed. For now, if ordered, the crab would seek out the specific location or closest thing in function.

"the core....mmm...built in emergency power and movement device perhaps? keep me from needing to gather as much power making a new one when the first gets its body recket"

MOR POWER

Flare was still pondering. He could feel that there were new mages on the island. He'd need the project soon, but it was not done yet. He might need to cut corners. Flare never liked to cut corners.

Viznor uses a spell of finding to give himself directions to every mage on the island, living or dead. Afterwards, two essences.

Viznor reached out into the past, seeking very specific events; the current positions of wizards. Dead or alive, they were still important. Yet what he got was static. Nothing. Loud pile of nothing. How strange, is the proximity of the source already affecting magic? It shouldn't, not yet, not for a decade. Were there some protective enchantments? Now that wouldn't be too strange, many mages had some sort of defenses against scrying.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

I'm assuming that my plan to animate myself as I died failed.

Reappear on that Plain of Fallen Warriors that the Gambler found the library in. Make two Necromancy essences.
"Well, this place is odd. Erm, I don't suppose you can hear me, [Whisperling's character's name]?"
((You are verry much too dead for that.))
I assumed that your lack of comment on my previous action was approval.

Name: Marcus
Affinity: Necromancy
Description: He's back, and he's a banshee now. He has changed his approval quest to slaying FoU. He speaks like this now.
Stats: They're the same as last time.

Now that I look more closely at these, I see a few problems. Firstly, no OOC personal vendetas. Your character, soul and mind, were caught and contained. Your clone does not have them.
Your mage is humanoid without special abilities. Specter, being incorporeal, is not that.
I could start you off in the plane of fallen soldiers as a ghost, but to seek the treasure would be meta and you'd become fleshy upon entering the island. The vendeta is still a no no.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:07:40 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 19, 2015, 07:53:49 pm »

(( the fact that you've managed to let players choose their own spells without anything becoming broken is pretty amazing.))

((Meanwhile, on the Shipwreck lake shore, lies parts for a castle sized adamantine jetpack, still untouched by nature, the seven story tall adamantine mech for which it was meant lying in far smaller pieces in another lake alltogether.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 109 Bloody demons
« Reply #2619 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:03 pm »

"Ten Buttons, eh? 'Erhaps If I just kinda reach out and..."
Feel out through the courses of fortune to understand the way I should press the buttons to open the chest. Use 2 +1/+1 essences and 1 each of the +1 to CMP and POT Essences, for a total of +3/+3.
((I just got a really cool idea. Hoo Hoo Hoo. Just need the proper equipment.))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:11:24 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 19, 2015, 08:18:33 pm »

((But still, thank you all for the praise. It means a lot to me, really does.))

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »

Swim towards the shore and then run through other mages if the blood elemental chases me, if it doesn't make 3 essences

"No use in getting killed yet, must prepare, must prepare."
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »

"Agh, no, it's all going wrong... no... I shall be victorious. It is time."

Here is the reckoning. Jonas staggers to his feet, then invokes the Great Swarm Queen to grant him power, great power for bee magic. Jonas then uses his shard for potency, possibly throwing in a few years of his life while he's at it, to transform the magma bear into bees that obey his orders. Meanwhile, the honorable dwarf pummels the ice demon and Alerim attempts to staunch his wound. Before beginning his magic chant, Jonas sends his remaining bees to kill the temperature mage.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:15 pm »

(( the fact that you've managed to let players choose their own spells without anything becoming broken is pretty amazing.))

((Meanwhile, on the Shipwreck lake shore, lies parts for a castle sized adamantine jetpack, still untouched by nature, the seven story tall adamantine mech for which it was meant lying in far smaller pieces in another lake alltogether.))

((I always assumed that you had created the giant worm for the sole purpose of destroying the mech. Seemed a bit too challenging a foe for non-James players otherwise.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:45 pm »

Alright then, it's my simulacrum. Do my pacts persist between clones?

Head directly North.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 506