Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181336 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 110 SCP-890
« Reply #2655 on: August 24, 2015, 03:03:23 pm »

"Omnicube 3000 eh?" James chuckles, remembering how this thing started as a failed attempt to summon a bottle. Those were much simpler times.
"Thanks for the help! The jet's yours."

Toss the jet's keys to Jiksap, then unbox the omnicube. Only look, don't press any buttons though. I don't plan on experimenting on this until I get a luck boost.

3 healing essences.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 25, 2015, 05:00:09 am »

How skilled these moles are, how impressively these birds swim, how intelligent trees! But is this real? Is this hallucination?

"Roman architecture was best of its time, although they could have used more parks in the city design."

Engage in discussion with the trees. Wander a bit in upwind. Try those three essences again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:58:47 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: August 25, 2015, 05:10:07 am »

...have another go at creating Plan C, while contemplating what just happened. Could this event be recreated?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:25 am »

PM'd action.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 25, 2015, 03:13:56 pm »

GET THE LOOT. IF I AM NOT DEAD ALREADY GET BACK TO SURFACE. And then two essences.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 25, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »

If the crystal leaves have regrown on the tree, then create a gravitational singularity (-1 ranged) somewhere close to the tree to gather the crystals into one point. Use three +1/+1 force essences. Follow this by trapping said leaves in a solid force bubble (-1 ranged, -1 solid), using three +1/+1 and two +1 CMP force essences.

But if my first magic doesn't work or if the leaves haven't regrown yet, then just pluck out the still intact leaves on the ground with my force claw.

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:07 am »

Correction to previous turn statement:

Summon an obedient Velociraptor.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:03 pm »

Turn 111

"Need more power....an core of the caliber I reqirue takes a bit of work....hmmm...and binding it all to togther."

more power! Power for the core!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flares thoughts and calculations of what he would need were interrupted as earth around one of his discarded steel feathers collapsed. A short while later, two short stout bearded figures climbed out of the newly formed pit.
"See, I told you that my detector works. I told you. And did you listen?"
"I am here, am I not? And I still have no proof of your scrapbox doing anything."
"Look here, see this feather. It's steel. No smith would bother forging these with such precision. It has to be magic made."
"On his own, yes, no smith would do this. But you never know what some moron too rich for his own good could order made. Besides..."
At this point the second dwarf noticed a bit confused looking Flare, or rather his wings of steel. His eyes went wide and feather dropped from his hands. The first one regained his voice far quicker, probably due to not needing to deal with as much surprise.
"Excuse me sir, you wouldn't happen to be a mage capable of conjuring iron, would you?"

ok, one more should be enough
another velociraptor, same as the first two, use all non-chaotic essences

Seva reached out through the planes and pulled out another feathery dinosaur. The first two stopped their sneering at each other to greet the new one.  It did not take long before it became a stareoff somehow involving all three.

"See, Jonas? Your misjudgment cost you much and could cost even more... But as you refused to listen, I won't interfere."

Kahel moves closer to minion fight, trying to backside the dwarf (if he refuses the truce) and get a lucky strike in. If no opportunity occurs - he would still serve as distraction.

"Your master would be dead soon. Perhaps it's time for a truce? I have nothing against you now, dwarf, but if you prefer to be stubborn..."
"Recalculating-insufficient data. Outcome reserved to chance. Recommended action-$*#$*#($U$* #$&$*&#($#*% (#$&%(#($&^%#%&(# $#&$*#"

"You do realize that those are bees? Bees I can easily control?"

Dwarf and elf must fight together... well... well enough, anyway. Alerim and the dwarf are going to need to fight together(as much as possible) to defeat the ice demon. Meanwhile, Jonas will be casting a spell to mentally link himself with the magma swarm. Let's throw a few years of my life into the spell, for good measure.

Bofrec was a veteran of many battles and knew well the rules of combat when outnumbered. The mage was trying to strike him with his obsidian staff, but that was merely a distraction. Bofrec allowed a hit here and there, waiting for the actual killing blow from behind. He had not forgotten the ice demon, oh no, the staff could hurt him, eventually, but those claws were lethal. There! A skid of rocks as feet kick off throwing body forwards. Bofrec dodged to the right and struck with his left hand. Unluckily for him, the demon had also charged with its left, which made the entire body move a bit towards left, leaving Bofrecs blade striking but air. It was not a good battle, and elf was too pale and motionless to help.
{Alerim, bleedout, 3 turns}

Meanwhile, Jonas was dealing with sudden rebellion of his insectoid ex-friends. The bees were very numerous, but Jonas knew how they worked, in what patterns they attacked. He moved away from each strike, giving a bit more cautionary space between himself and the bees than he needed. The bees soon noticed and began leaving smaller spaces between their strikes. But Jonas was not simply trying to survive; he was charming the bees back onto his side. A few losing consciousness and crashing into ground there, a few crashing into eachother here, but he managed to get quite a few bees back onto his own side. Then the Swarm struck again, whole cloud as one. Jonas managed to dodge, his bees flew just behind him and were struck. Swarm tore the "traitors" to pieces, yet the cloud was now barely half as large.

Meanwhile, Jonas was dealing with sudden rebelion of his insectoid ex-friends. The bees were very numerous, but Jonas knew how they worked, in what paterns they attacked. He moved away from each strike, giving a bit more cautionary space betwen himself and the bees than he needed. The bees soon noticed and began leaving smaller spaces between their strikes. But Jonas was not simply trying to survive, he was charming the bees back onto his side. A few losing conciousness and crashing into ground there, a few crashing into eachother here, but he managed to get quite a few bees back onto his own side. Then the Swarm struck again, whole cloud as one. Jonas managed to dodge, his bees flew just behind him and were struck. Swarm tore the "traitors" to pieces, yet the cloud was now barely half as large.

The Gambler presses a button, relying on his stockpile of accrued luck to ensure that it's the right one.

Gambler once more closed his eyes and poked blindly. By some strange coincidence he managed to miss either button and poke the chest. Same was with second and third attempts. Only the fifth poke hit a button and the box opened with a loud *clang*. But as Gambler opened his eyes again, he was greeted with a curious sight. It would seem that when he had missed the button he had hit something else instead, as several hidden compartments around the chest were now open. The chest itself was filled to the brim with gold coins bearing a face of some king, several compartments had gems as large as a chicken egg, and one of the compartments held within a crystal of different kind. It was a focus crystal, and it carried glass affinity. Focus crystals allowed even inexperienced mages to wield magic on the level that would signify a master; they were very expensive and very rare. And while useful to a novice, their true value came from being able to amplify any magic at all. Selling this would grant one enough wealth for several lifetimes. But Gambler had better uses for it than mere coin.

{Focus crystal(glass) - +1POT to all spells, can cast as if having Glass affinity}

"YIPPEE! WE DID IT!!! I suppose that means I get the jet now? Bye!"

Make my way over to the jet. Then a little PM thing (secret plan is secret) and 3 essences.

Jiksap had no wish to delay examining his new prize, and thus went towards the jet immediately after the cube was back into proper shape. It was a marvel of engineering the jet. But there could be improvements.

4 essences

Dwen was meditating on the shore of the lake. The blood elemental probably would not be the only obstacle when he returned. What else could possibly deny free passage there? Lost in thought Dwen barely noticed when essence he was making colapsed. Before him he found a bottle on which somone had stuck a paper with "Liquid power" writen onto it.

"Omnicube 3000 eh?" James chuckles, remembering how this thing started as a failed attempt to summon a bottle. Those were much simpler times.
"Thanks for the help! The jet's yours."

Toss the jet's keys to Jiksap, then unbox the omnicube. Only look, don't press any buttons though. I don't plan on experimenting on this until I get a luck boost.

3 healing essences.

The cube was now a bit more ornate and featured several more buttons. Plate that claimed this as a property of SCP organization was now gone, replaced by possibly decorative gears. There was a light somewhere deep within the cube, shining through ever so slightly. There was another interesting object, a book of instructions within the box, but it was written entirely in a language that James could not decipher.

How skilled these moles are, how impressively these birds swim, how intelligent trees! But is this real? Is this hallucination?

"Roman architecture was best of its time, although they could have used more parks in the city design."

Engage in discussion with the trees. Wander a bit in upwind. Try those three essences again.

"Hello there young sapling." Trees greeted Shias. "Welcome to the lands of the Fae" they said. Druid wandered away, greeting the trees and talking to them. Some were nice, others were mean. There was one especially angry since a woodpecker had moved in recently. Yet with each step the trees were becoming more quiet, until Shias looked around and suddenly found himself in a forest that was in no way exceptional.

...have another go at creating Plan C, while contemplating what just happened. Could this event be recreated?

Alexander reached out into aether and pulled out a ornate rapier. It was decorated with gold and precious stones that did not distract from perfect blade and spectacular guard. It had only one flaw. It was a toothpick. Upset by this failure, Alexander began thinking about the knowledge he had gained. There was hardly any move that he would not know of now, but there was still the need to practice. If he had to think which move to use it would be too slow for actual combat. A repeat sight could help out a bit, but it would be very hard to replicate the spell intentionally. There was a reason why masters of magic called the "quick cast" - method of casting not boosted by essences, "a magic of its own".

GET THE LOOT. IF I AM NOT DEAD ALREADY GET BACK TO SURFACE. And then two essences.

Ancano swam to the exposed ship and into the gap that was smashed through. There were indeed great treasures around, gold and gems, silver and mirrors, but there was something else. A guardian. Above the room hung a massive octopus, large enough to devour Ancano whole. Yet the elf noticed movement in reflection of a mirror, he saw a tentacle descending towards him, and retreated hastily back outside. Elf managed to deftly dodge snaring tentacles, and escape to the surface. There was a question now, climb on a ship or swim to the shore?

If the crystal leaves have regrown on the tree, then create a gravitational singularity (-1 ranged) somewhere close to the tree to gather the crystals into one point. Use three +1/+1 force essences. Follow this by trapping said leaves in a solid force bubble (-1 ranged, -1 solid), using three +1/+1 and two +1 CMP force essences.

But if my first magic doesn't work or if the leaves haven't regrown yet, then just pluck out the still intact leaves on the ground with my force claw.

Crimson waited for a while to see if the leaves would regrow like those blown away by wind would, yet the tree remained barren. Leaves in the ground remained though, and there were plenty of them. Crimson picked no less than three dozen and there were still quite a few left.

Correction to previous turn statement:

Summon an obedient Velociraptor.

Bob called through the aether to the past, where there was a pack predator that would suit his current purposes just fine. Meeting with a friend was all good and all, but he had work to do. Yet magic seemed to be uncooperative today, as what appeared before Bob was a velociraptor fossil. Well preserved, and quite large, containing several other, smaller creatures, but not exactly immediately useful.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:58:45 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 111 Trading blows and souls
« Reply #2663 on: August 27, 2015, 06:40:24 pm »

"liquid power eh?"

drink the liquid in the bottle and make 3 essences.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 27, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »

((You double-posted Jonas fight with bees.))

"Hm. It seems we do not have as much time as I anticipated... A pity, truly. Perhaps I need to finish the elf first."

Crush Alerim. Watch out for mad bee mage, though.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 27, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »

"quite capable....although magic is not always very cooperative."

"how much do you need? and for what if you don't mind my asking?"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 27, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »

Ok,you guys can figure this out later

3 essences,order my velociraptors to guard the area,being very loud if they see someone new
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 27, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »

James remembers what he was going to ask Grundar to do before the cube exploded.
"There's a mage I failed to save fighting the dragon. His name's Azenfar. Could you please go find and bring back his body? I at least want to give him a proper burial."

So, does the book have any helpful diagrams in it? Diagrams are much more effective for communicating how to use machines than words, so I'd expect the instruction book to have a few if it was any good. And they can be understood in any language.

Using both my affinities, summon a ring of regeneration.
Then of course two healing essences.

((XXXXYYYY, would the Gambler be willing to trade? I need something to boost my luck before experimenting on my new omnicube.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 27, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »

"Yes... The fighter jet, master of the skies. Probably pretty great if there were any dragons about, but nooo. At least Bob's here. But no such super plan is successful without planning!"
Use machine sense to scan the mechanics of the jet (to clarify, this is a spell), then if successful think on how to implement secret plan with newfound knowledge (otherwise just think some more). 2 more essences.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:53:37 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »

((NAV, I don't think Viznor could give you a luck boost, but knowledge affinity would probably be useful if you want to decipher the guidebook or find which buttons to avoid pressing.))
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 506