Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163989 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 111 Trading blows and souls
« Reply #2685 on: August 30, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

((Endlessblaze, where can I get some of your luck?))

((I don't know))

Quote from: dreamer

You see, some of our smiths are mages of some talent. Mostly rune magic, but there are others. And they all agree that metals created by magic are easyer to enchant. How much truth there is in that I have no idea but magicly created metals have price several times larger than natural ores. So we'd be willing to buy all you can conjure, paid in ... Hmmf. You can probably conjure gold of your own. Oh, I know, we could pay you in enchanted items!"

"i like the sound of that, do you have any particular metal in mind?"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 30, 2015, 03:20:56 pm »

You see, some of our smiths are mages of some talent. Mostly rune magic, but there are others. And they all agree that metals created by magic are easyer to enchant. How much truth there is in that I have no idea but magicly created metals have price several times larger than natural ores. So we'd be willing to buy all you can conjure, paid in ... Hmmf. You can probably conjure gold of your own. Oh, I know, we could pay you in enchanted items!"

Iron or better yet, steel. Precious metals for decorations or jewelry. Bronze for large projects. Whatever you can provide we would buy. Idealy, in cariable pieces, but we can manage.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: August 30, 2015, 04:52:21 pm »

Iron or better yet, steel. Precious metals for decorations or jewelry. Bronze for large projects. Whatever you can provide we would buy. Idealy, in cariable pieces, but we can manage.

"alright, how about...steel and gold for......a rapier that can fire sword-beams?"

if excepted, create gold and steel

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: August 30, 2015, 05:49:17 pm »

Turn 112

"liquid power eh?"

drink the liquid in the bottle and make 3 essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwen was never a person to refuse a drink, and this was not a time to start. Even if he had no idea what the drink was and the one offering was fate. The "Liquid power" tasted a lot like brandy, but it had some sort of strange invigorating effect. Dwen could fell his magical power increasing, although rich experience in consuming potions said that this would be temporary. Still, it was pretty good.
(+1 to POT rolls, 3 turns)
But as Dwen was forging new essences with the newfound power, last one once again collapsed, throwing  another bottle out. This time, the cork was marked and a quick sniff revealed to Dwen what he was holding. Bernardinian tonic. Bernanrdinians were well known alchemists, who hardly ever were sober or out of their labs. They tested most of their potions only on themselves, and due to mixing with alcohol and previous elixirs they had drunk, most of what they made did not work as advertised. This particular drink was supposed to empower a magician, but it turned out that it actually roughly doubled the bonus to power a mage gained from being drunk. Bernardinians, who were always drunk, never knew the difference. The best thing about it was that it remained active for days.

((You double-posted Jonas fight with bees.))

"Hm. It seems we do not have as much time as I anticipated... A pity, truly. Perhaps I need to finish the elf first."

Crush Alerim. Watch out for mad bee mage, though.

((... I think my magic disrupted the time-space continuum, causing my actions to be repeated twice.))

"Warning- low probability of success."

"You don't seem to understand that one in a million chances are more common than not."

"Irrationality detected. Prepare-"

"To be punished? That wouldn't much help my situation, would it? Now excuse me. Bofrec! We'll need to get this over with quickly if we are to have any chance of saving Alerim! Keep the mage and his ice demon from distracting me, I have a gambit to cast."

PM magics. Bofrec will continue his battle with the ice demon, preventing me from harm. Alerim will try to staunch his wound as best possible.

Jonas began chanting the spell to solve two problems at once, but his chant was disrupted by searing pain on his back. Cursing, mage reached out and caught a magma bee that was the cause of this. Apparently, it had caught the cloth during the last charge, but waited until the opportune moment. Just how opportune Jonas soon found out, as dozens of stings took the chance in his momentary distraction. It was not poison that the bees injected, but magma, and in far greater quantities than the usual venom. Small pebbles left in wounds were the least of beekeepers troubles, as part of the pain disappeared along with all other senses he had in entire left side of his body. The heat cauterized the wounds but it made the situation only marginally better. Jonas could not bear the pain from the burns and passed out.

Meanwhile, Kahel was trying his best to end the elf sooner. Even unconscious, elf managed to keep a tight grip on his sword. Besides, Jonas might figure out some way to fix him up, or he might trade away his soul to the volcano god to get power and avenge himself. Or something. Yet for all his punches elf did not seem to be dying any faster. The grip on the blade might have loosened though. Kahel looked at the ice demon and the dwarf. The two seemed to be testing each other, both feinting attacks and trying to find a weak spot. This could take a while just as well as it could end in one strike. Most likely both.

Ok,you guys can figure this out later

3 essences,order my velociraptors to guard the area,being very loud if they see someone new

Trio went off, each a different way, scaring birds and small animals. Well, now there won't be anyone else to cause noise. So now anyone sneaking past would not have anything to scare, but would not be able to hide in the background noise. Whether that was good or bad, Seva hoped he'd not need to worry about.

James remembers what he was going to ask Grundar to do before the cube exploded.
"There's a mage I failed to save fighting the dragon. His name's Azenfar. Could you please go find and bring back his body? I at least want to give him a proper burial."

So, does the book have any helpful diagrams in it? Diagrams are much more effective for communicating how to use machines than words, so I'd expect the instruction book to have a few if it was any good. And they can be understood in any language.

Using both my affinities, summon a ring of regeneration.
Then of course two healing essences.

James watched as Grundar ran off towards the forest, following his advice as to where to look for Azenfar. Shouldn't be long till he's back. For now, James had some plans and he wanted to implement, as recent explosion of the cube reminded him that he might not always be conscious enough to heal himself. So he called from aether a ring of regeneration. It was shaped like a snake with a ruby in its maw. Now that James thought about it, it looked exactly like the one that that annoying guy in healer’s competition had, the one who managed to beat all the previous records in personal healing. Of course, no magical items were allowed in the competition, meaning that somebody just got what they deserved.

"Yes... The fighter jet, master of the skies. Probably pretty great if there were any dragons about, but nooo. At least Bob's here. But no such super plan is successful without planning!"
Use machine sense to scan the mechanics of the jet (to clarify, this is a spell), then if successful think on how to implement secret plan with newfound knowledge (otherwise just think some more). 2 more essences.

Jiksap attempted to figure out what the jet was made of with his magic only to be rebuked by wards. It was a jet specifically to hunt dragons with, so it being built a place of both magic and technology. Were the wards a method of retaining trade secrets? A method to prevent enemies from figuring out the technology? The circumstance matters not, but it would seem that finding out how the jet was built would be annoyingly hard for Jiksap.

Quite powerful ones, but I can work with those.

Do not forget the area where all hallucinogenic spores are. Feel the magic around me. Try to locate someone with summoning affinity. If unsuccesfull, ask trees if they know any.

Shias reached out with is innate magic talent, feeling through the grasses, searching for someone capable of calling through the aether. There was someone, someone not even that far. A healer, near the portal through which Shias himself entered the place. How convenient.

climb on the ship.

"There is loot creeping around here..."

Ancano nimbly climbed side of a half sunken ship, kicking off a tentacle that rose out of the water. On board there was hardly anything worth noting, as the entry to cabins was on the side that sunk, but there was another ship that had rammed into the wreck, leaving an easy passage. The other one was mostly undamaged, with only main sail broken off and a few holes above waterline.

Go to the window i previously was. With the throne.

Destra turned the throne around. If anyone was waiting for him in trap they would be waiting here. It took a bit of complex turning and rolling over a few smaller piles of rubble, but Destra had arrived to the place he sought, his prize waiting to be used.

Investigate smaller fossils contained within Velociraptor fossil, in order to identify them. Then summon an obedient https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus.

Bob called to the aether again, and this time pulled from the vortex of time a fully grown Deinonychus. The wide tailed lizard seemed curious as to its new surroundings, but otherwise did not panic. Affirmed that his new pet would not run away, Bob took his time looking at the fossil. Other remains within the fossil were mostly crustaceans or insects, none too impressive.

"Ah, one 'a these! Jus' what I needed."
Grab the crystal and a small handful of coins, then summon a glass monocle and make a luck essence.

Gambler tested out his newfound treasure by conjuring a monocle. The glass was not bent, as Gambler had sight that needed not correcting, but the monocle was ornamented as befitted one as him. It even had a chain of glass attached to it, to prevent monocle from being lost. The test was over, focus crystal worked perfectly.

"Should be enough."

Ignore the other crystal leaves for now. Rather, check out one leaf and observe it. Try to see if I can understand anything from observing it. After that, two force essences.

Crimson examined a leaf before the sun. It was not entirely opaque, a bit of light managed to seep through. Edges were sharp, but the part where leaf connected to the branch was not. There was nothing particularly special about the leaf, aside from it being a very sharp crystal. 

"I was just exploring, looking for interesting things. Did you make these crabs? And you are a golem as well. Were you made by the wizard that made this place? And would you be willing to tell me of any interesting things around here?"

Talking. If the golem turns hostile for some reason, use the friend spell with enough non-chaotic aether essences to reach +10/+10.

"No lone wizard built me, rather I was born from the concentration of magic within a battlefield after several mages fought. I was rough at first, but I recrafted myself into a more delicate form. And It was indeed I who made the spiders. They helped me to dig out the place, and to carve great halls below. I'm afraid it would be too hot there for you, as they are many meters beneath the earth. I'm afraid I would not know anything that happened around here, for I was beneath the earth for years, as I have no real need of anything above ground. There are many wonders deep below, but most of them are unreachable to those of flesh, and those that can be reached are filled with beasts that make any effort to visit hardly worth it."

Get out of here the way I came in. Once I'm clear of the mirages, start heading back to the treehouse. Do PM stuff on the way.

Of course, was the answer. Salt fields were flat and tough like a road, allowing for an easy start, and even the hills did not slow Viznor much. Running felt easy, even natural. It made Viznor feel surprised that so many people hated it so.

"alright, how about...steel and gold for......a rapier that can fire sword-beams?"

if excepted, create gold and steel

A cube of steel apeared, roughly one eight of a cubic meter in size. It was still well beyond carying size, but the dwarves would probably want an ammount that they would need a cart for. The gold was less successful, a puff sent gold dust flying in all directions. Some of it landed on the box that one of the dwarves was holding and it began ringing like a bell.

"See? I told you I damn well told you it works." The dwarf then turns back to you. "We could get the sword you are looking for, probably, I am not a smith myself. Though I very much doubt that there already exists one forged, meaning it would take at least a day to get one. If that is a problem I could get a blade, or blades, or something else of what is allready forged. The iron is enough to get a mild enchant, though I will need to get a cart... actually..." He turns back to his friend. "You, go back and get a cart while I negotiate the prices."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 112 Luck for almost everyone.
« Reply #2689 on: August 30, 2015, 06:02:03 pm »

"I could make one myself but im currently occupied with my own project.

lets see....let me try the gold again."

try again with the gold

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 30, 2015, 06:18:51 pm »

"Well with this drink I could make essences for days... Say that gives me an idea."

Create some Sun Berry Ale and drink it too, like 3 mug fulls.  Drink the Bernardian Tonic and then create 2 essences.

(So I'm seeing like a -2-3 in competency and a plus 6-8 in potentacy. Also it says +3 in the chat sheet and +1 in the forum for my pot..)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:21:30 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: August 30, 2015, 06:28:58 pm »

"Well with this drink I could make essences for days... Say that gives me an idea."

Create some Sun Berry Ale and drink it too, like 3 mug fulls.  Drink the Bernardian Tonic and then create 2 essences.

(So I'm seeing like a -2-3 in competency and a plus 6-8 in potentacy. Also it says +3 in the chat sheet and +1 in the forum for my pot..)

((+3 to stat translates to +1 to rolls.))

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 30, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »

make my wings stronger so that I can fly,use a +1 CMP essence and a +1 POT essence
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 30, 2015, 07:52:41 pm »

((no under the bonus section, and for bonuses cause of drunkenness and my power potions))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: August 30, 2015, 09:17:00 pm »

Use that echolocation spell except at a smaller scale, directing it towards the crystal leaf at my hand for several reasons; to try and learn anything about its internal structure and to see how it reacts to magic. Then one force essence after.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:17 am »

"See? Just as I predicted, Jonas is dying now. And I have nothing to do with this - nor I, nor my minions had a chance to touch him. So again, dwarf, what about a truce? You won't save your master, but you can at least try to."

Propose once again.

Success: Call off demon, gather shards from Markus. Wait.
No response: Use cold projectile to damage Bofrec. It's not like cold can harm the demon, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:53:59 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:46 am »

Allright then, let's go meet the summoner-healer. Avoiding all other mages in area.
Create three essences while traveling.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 31, 2015, 07:51:34 am »

"See? Just as I predicted, Jonas is dying now. And I have nothing to do with this - nor I, nor my minions had a chance to touch him. So again, dwarf, what about a truce? You won't save your master, but you can at least try to."

Propose once again.

Success: Call off demon, gather shards from Markus. Wait.
No response: Use cold projectile to damage Bofrec. It's not like cold can harm the demon, anyway.
Psst. Finish the job. You're just one roll away from Jonas waking up.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:00 am »

((no under the bonus section, and for bonuses cause of drunkenness and my power potions))

((I am not certain what you mean. If you are worried about drunknes conversion of CMP to POT, you get -1 to CMP rolls and +2 to POT rolls after consuming the Tonic for each level of drunkness.))

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:08 am »

"Blast it, I should've known! Magical wards for magical beast-fighting jet, ugh. Surely they can't be THAT strong, though... Perhaps greater forces may help too! (maniacal laughter)"
Pray to the God of Machines for help. Attempt again to scan jet, using two essences. Then two more essences.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 506