Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163963 times)

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 114 Calm before the storm
« Reply #2790 on: September 09, 2015, 05:46:54 am »

((I think that I'd like to add that most new mages would rather test their abilities, explore, and gain power rather than fighting other players (which can lead to rather early deaths). But yes, there is at least one plan (mine) that may attract quite some attention, and I'm sure my partner has ones of his own, so at the very least don't think these peaceful times will persist forever without bee dude.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: September 09, 2015, 05:58:06 am »

((I think that I'd like to add that most new mages would rather test their abilities, explore, and gain power rather than fighting other players.

((You took the words out of my mouth.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: September 09, 2015, 06:30:28 am »

((The thing is, new mages have nothing important to lose. Their powers are better tested in combat with equals - so that the winner would get some shards and start exploring the world with a better starting resources. But that's my reasoning.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:45 am »

((The thing is, new mages have nothing important to lose. Their powers are better tested in combat with equals - so that the winner would get some shards and start exploring the world with a better starting resources. But that's my reasoning.))

((I can't speak for others, but personally, I'm driven less by power-hunger, and more by a desire for exploration. That can't happen if I'm constantly in the middle of a bloodbath. Not to say I won't take whatever boosts come my way- self-defense is very important around here.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: September 09, 2015, 11:10:55 am »

((I can't speak for others, but personally, I'm driven less by power-hunger, and more by a desire for exploration. That can't happen if I'm constantly in the middle of a bloodbath. Not to say I won't take whatever boosts come my way- self-defense is very important around here.))
I think that some people come here with an idea for a cool spell, and pick an appropriate affinity and try to get the spell off as soon as possible. Alternatively, they have an idea for a cool and unique affinity, and want to mess around with it.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: September 09, 2015, 03:07:56 pm »

Got a bit distracted, and forgot just how early I would need to get up tomorow. Update will be delayed.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:26 am »

Unless stated otherwise, just keep creating more swords.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »

Turn 115

Collect the useful plants, then continue towards spawn, looking for any trinkets or loot while making two essences.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gambler collected what plants he recognized as useful, along with few he had never seen before. If he ever met an alchemist, he'd be able to sell them for a decent price. The best chance of finding one, of course, was next to the entry portal. Gambler traveled there with haste, though the amount of people there was surprisingly large.

collect as much loot as I can and run to the surface.

Ancano did not dally, the squid was dead but it might haven't been the only one. Filling pockets with gemstones and gold, with some occasional silver piece was enough for now. It's not like the treasure was going to go anywhere. Ancano emerged from beneath the waves, and swam towards the shore. Shield was still where he had left it, with some grass around it burned down and dirt completely dry.

Hello,can you tell me anything about this tree?

Make two essences,walk closer to the tree if I don't an answer

The strange guy with strange backpack was too busy talking with his strange friend who had a strange pet to answer Seva. Well, that did not matter. Seva walked next to the tree to inspect the curious thing himself. Raptors were running around, playing, though they were keeping away from the tree. It was as if somebody had crafted a house of tree and dirt. And spikes. There were surprisingly many of those.

"Alright, here's your mask. What do you need this thing for, if you don't mind me asking? Not that it's a bad thing to have on hand, I've accidentally gassed myself a few times now."
Give the gas mask to Shias.

Use a couple essences to summon an...adamantine shield of regeneration, using both my affinities. That should make a nice trade good.
Then one healing and one summoning essence.

James called through the aether once more, and with the sound of metal being shred to pieces, a blue-ish glowing pile of metal appeared, which radiated necromantic energies. Either that or just plain old radiation, basic detection could not differentiate, and nobody who took the time to see which of the two horribly lethal things they were holding right now ever survived. Well, at least the gas mask worked out fine.

To James: "Ah, thank you. Well, I need it to protect my lungs and mind from harmful substances that happen to be present in area where I need to work."

Chatting with the tree house: "There are many ways to do battle. Most mages prefer flashy techniques, some learn from the nature and adapt slow, enduring and ultimately effective techniques. All mages, even my kind, have one reason to be here: to further my goals. But to expand it more, I'm here because I'm on quest for forest spirits on west, and because to complete that quest I need specific item that I cannot realiably make by myself, which led me to the local summoner who in turn asked me to talk to you, which is something I would have done anyway, seeing your unusual appearance. What have caused that, if you don't mind me asking?"

And three essences.

"Your summonner and an enchanter twisted me into this form. They wanted a house to sell their wares, something that would shield them from elements or elemental barrages if someone decided to take them by force. They twisted my living form, then abandoned me.  But there are worse than them, so much worse. The one nearby carries within him the blaze of industry and seed of bismuth. Kill him, before all that is green is devoured by copper and smoke."

Go to the spawn.

Eterna moved out towards the primary portal. The throne proved to be a whole lot less of a burden than Eterna thought it would be, while it required some focus, the throne moved itself forwards, wheels rolling nicely over the ground. It was a nice change after pushing the weighty thing through those tight corridors. When he arrived, he found no less than half a dozen mages already there.

"All things come to an end. Seems like your master and comrade are beyond saving now."

Kahel smiled triumphantly and crushed shards - a last favor he got from Marcus. It might be said that everything went simply too well.
Ten shards for Liquids affinity!

Freeze some liquids inside Bolfrec's body, damaging him from inside. Laugh. +2 for affinities, -2 for ranged and summon

((It apears you are under an impression that afinity comes with free CMP bonus. It does not. Also, what are you summoning by frezing a part of a guy?))

Kahel crushed the sacrificial shards in his hand, listening to the whispers of rapidly decaying wisdom. How to deal with all liquids, how to control them and change them. This presented ample opportunities, especially combined with his previous talents. For example, now he did not need to see blood to freeze it. Bofrecs face contorted as large parts of his muscle solidified, as various liquids froze solid within. Ice demon was not expecting this at all, and struck one of hardened areas expecting a trick. Yet it's claws failed to find purchase in frozen muscles, their natural hardness improved by solidity of ice. It mattered not. Bofrec would not be able to live to fight another day without help, and he was the last one standing.

More Essences, like 3 of them.

Dwen charged his powers again. It was a bit dangerous to do while inebriated, but he was not too bothered by such thinking. One of his essence charges collapsed, exploding towards the lake. Water closest to shore began smelling like vodka and several specimens of what passed for fish life around these parts floated to the surface. Dwen just shrugged and returned to charging.

"why bribes? cant you just purchase them?"

more power...perhaps soon it will be time

"The best stuff is technically reserved for military. Can't have everyone running around with daggers that go through plate like so much butter. Of course, those in power know that this is seen as simply a price markup by those who can afford the bribes, but it gives them an excuse to confiscate the stuff in case anyone tries to throw their weight around too much."

The other dwarf returns, dragging a cart behind him.

"MWEHEHEHEHEEE! My plan is complete! The final step is only to prepare... Oh, hello Bob! You wouldn't mind protecting me while I do crazy?"
Go a little ways back from the jet... then craft essences until one collapses. Obviously watch for this. Oh, and try to stay a little close to the dinosaur, for protection and happenstance. If something bad starts to happen, try to use thaumic disruptor to stop it.

Jiksap moved a safe distance away from the jet and began gathering power. He collected it until the continued strain began to cloud his mind. Jiksap waited until the last moment, then he focused the clouds over his thoughts caused by pulling in the power, and cast them in one point. A rift opened, spitting out a quarter of glowing tubes contained within a cage of red painted metal. A miniature cold fusion generator. It was a popular generator, mostly because it would never explode, not even if it was hit directly by enemy attack. It was known as one of the safest possible sources of power that existed.

Hello, Jiksap. What is that thing you've been working on? If you need more magic power, I'd be happy to provide it.

Summon another obedient Deinonychus. Then, if Jiksap agrees, join with him in whatever spell might be required.

Bob was idly waiting for Jiksap to finish his newest idea. They were always so interesting. Sure there were a few incidents, like the scarecrow that went insane and started killing farmers, or that gizmo that made people obsessed with it for seemingly no reason, or that engine with three locked gears, or... Well, his machines were still interesting. Sadly, his own results were less so. What appeared before him was not another dinosaur, but an egg of one.

"Thank you. I will bring my friend back with me soon. May I bring this crab on my journeys so that it can help me find my way back here when I return? Oh, and I realize I never introduced myself. I am Jase Blackthorn."

Exit the cave and start heading back to the entrance portal. Two aether essences on the way. Leave the crab with the golem if I can't take it with me.

I do not think there would be a problem. The crab will be able to find me even if i leave back for the depths. My name is Djondes. It Was nice meeting you, Jace Blackthorn.

Use a simple scanning spell to determine whether there's anything useful or valuable in the area. Two knowledge essences afterwards.

Viznor called out to the surrounding land, searching for something that shouldn't be there. And there indeed was something, just a slight imperfection within the anti-magic field of primary portal. There was something just nearby that was the cause of the imperfection.

Unless stated otherwise, just keep creating more swords.

Alexander drew from aether another blade, this time a proper one, both sharp and large scimitar made of bronze. A fine blade, it would cut through flesh with ease.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 115 The plot thickens
« Reply #2798 on: September 10, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »

Walk towards spawn, make two essences
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: September 10, 2015, 03:38:50 pm »

((Even if it does not add CMP, that's fine. I only need ranged to affect his insides now? As experimentation has shown, ranged modifier forms a projectile and summoning lets mage to affect target without possibility of dodging. Please correct me if this is wrong.))

"Ah, perfect. Now that everyone is nearing their deaths... You served me well in this battle, demon. May I inquire your name? Also, on a related note, does your kin use soul shards for empowerment? I was thinking about giving you a few..."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

"Well now... I hope i find an use to this gold. "

pray to a god. There must be a god of gold around! Then grab my shield and craft two essences.

(so huh, i was thinking, can I use magic to enchant stuff just like my shield, and how much POT would it take?))
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:10:14 am by conein »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 10, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »

((...what even is this essence thing I keep seeing?))
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:55 pm »

Make 3 more essences
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 10, 2015, 04:18:53 pm »

((...what even is this essence thing I keep seeing?))

((Essence-crafting is basically just a simple spell any affinity can do. They hang around, and can be used later on to get bonuses to your CMP and Pot rolls.))

Take a look at what's causing the disturbance/imperfection. Three knowledge essences.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 10, 2015, 04:46:05 pm »

Walk over to James, who seems to be having a bit of trouble with his summonin'
"Need some luck, summoner? I've 'eard that it proves useful in your work."
Summon a glass ring that improves the wearer's luck, using a total of +5/+5 in essences. Then make essences until one collapses.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:44:42 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 506