Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163671 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: We have first death
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2014, 03:47:04 pm »

Map is up.

((mhm... or I can do this.))
Extending a hand, Rohan begins to accelerate the rate of reaction between hydrogen and nitrogen around his hand, forming a small cloud of ammonia around it.  Taking out a bottle from his belr (he is an alchemist, after all), he allows the ammonia to fill it and then puts a cork in it.

N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3

And yes, both diatomic nitrogen and diatomic hydrogen exist as free molecules in the air around us.  Not sure what I'm going to use it for, but you never know.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ask this guy. I bet he would have a few ideas about what you could do with NH3.

EDIT: I feel that few bottles are insignificant enough to let you have them, but after certain runemancer almost dug himself under while trying to conjure some...
You'll get your bottles if you figure out a way to make them within next turn. It won't be an action by your mage, it's a chalenge for you, do it and you'll get this minor boost.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:50:38 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »

Before doing that, he reaches down towards the beach sand, causing the chemical bonds between the silicates in the sand to break, releasing heat energy and fusing the surrounding sand into glass.  Concentrating this into specific areas, he shaped a few crude bottles out of glass, pouring out the sand.  He fashioned a few corks using wood from the tree, carving it with a rock to make an approximate fit.  Upon sealing the bottles, he performed the same trick he did earlier, only on a smaller scale.

[SiO2]n -> nSiO2

structural breakdown is fun.

Also, thank you to FroggyNinja for informing me of the challenge and proposing the general solution, though I had to fill in the specifics.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »

EBWOP:
Yes, I know I used polymer notation and sand isn't technically a polymer.  It's the closest I could get, due to the general structure of silicates.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2014, 05:03:54 pm »

It works, you pass. Enjoy the bottles, and may you never find yourself in a pit.

I noticed just now, that not a single death happend when victim wasnt in a position of weakness caused by their own magic. Well except for Scotsmen/Leo who dissapeared (when his char grew a throath full of cancer) and thus could not actively direct the combat.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2014, 06:29:59 pm »

Turn 14
__________________________________________________________________________________
Was the fox worth any shards? I suppose they would go to David.

Summon a minion with 7 shards. Summon bottles with my new summoning magic.

LUCK [7]
CMP [2]
POT [4+1+1=6]
LUCK [10]

James crushed seven shards and sent out a call to the void. Violently breaking against eachother, shards decended into the earth, and from that p[oint rose a burly troll. It looked around curiously, identifying it's new suroundings. Mage then turned to weave a spell with it's newfound skill. The result was somwhat less than satysfying, a hollow cube of glass apeared, roughly a cubic meter in size. It's capability to serve as a bottle was greatly hampered by the fact that it had no opening to make use of it's hollow core.

Have the roots of the grasses move dirt to create a pit-fall trap in front of the naga, then when it falls in, cover the pit in plants.

SPD [3+1=4]
LUCK [10]
CMP [3+1=4]
POT [4]

SPD [6+1=7]
STR [6]

Naga, not wanting to enter a field of plantlife that her oponent could controll at will mercilesly cut down grass stalks. In her wild swinging, one of her swords was cought and tangled within grasses, tearing out of her hand and embing into the ground nearby. But that ferocious flailing did it's job, betwen naga and the mage there now was a wide path with not a single blade of grass on it.

Isaac, however, had diferent plans, chosing to go for more sneaky aproach. Just as naga finished clearing the path, his spell finaly finished it's work, diging out a pit underneath warioress who was farr to bussy to notice it. At once, a path of land colapsed, dropping surprised naga a meter downwards. Yet the spell failed to cover the pit, as there were no plants left around to use. Naga was certainly surprised by this move, though judging by how firmly she grasped onto the edges with her hands, this would not hold her for long.

"Hrm... Fresh murder, indeed. But not with this axe, sadly. Well, perhaps another try? A small improvement... Yes...

I use shadows from across the room to weave and create a sharpened dark edge for my axe.

CMP [3+1]
POT [5]

Using cube of solid darknes he had summoned previously, Whaz atempted to improve his weapon.  Shadows bent and twisted trying to adhere to mages will, yet the ned result was a hammer with only barest reasemblance to an axe. On one hand, it was the closest thing to "success" he had, on the other, it still was not quite what he wasnted. Is this a sign that his art was not curse, or a sign that he should ho bludgeon somone, Whaz did not know. There were ways to find out, some more bloody than others.
((Aww, I wanted to try stuff on that fox.))

"My first couple of tries didn't work so well either. But maybe I can help you out."

Manipulate the aether inherent in the wing spell to enhance Crimson's wings, strengthening them enough to allow him to fly.

Let Jase enhance my not so large wings.

CMP [6]
POT [4+1=5]

END [3]

Jase weaved his magic into Crimsons tiny cherub wings, trying to make them greater, a variant of the wings he used. And his success was marked by both growth of force fields on Crimsons back and force mages pained screams. Not only the spell increased the wings in size and power, it also created an ethereal nerve system, causing great pain to their wearer. Crimson fell face forward on the ground, his conciousness being a dubious factor as he seemed to be in too much pain to do anything but scream.

"Yeah, that also happened to me. I think that this might be an integral part of the spell."

'Hmm... I believe the best way to go would be the castle, "yawn", buildings of brick and mortar is usually where dreamers lie,"doze off, then snap awake", asleep
((If this is annoying i'll stop.))
Stretch, then walk off to the castle

((It is not annoying, in fact Yay for roleplay))

SPD [(4-1)/2+1=2.5]

Mr. Sandman looking for a shade to nap in, decided that the castle was his best bet to sleep undisturbed. Somewhat lazily, he headed towards the castle in a half stumble, half run ending up between two lakes and the castles northeast wall.

((mhm... or I can do this.))
Extending a hand, Rohan begins to accelerate the rate of reaction between hydrogen and nitrogen around his hand, forming a small cloud of ammonia around it.  Taking out a bottle from his belr (he is an alchemist, after all), he allows the ammonia to fill it and then puts a cork in it.

N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3

And yes, both diatomic nitrogen and diatomic hydrogen exist as free molecules in the air around us.  Not sure what I'm going to use it for, but you never know.

CMP [3]
POT [5-1=4]

Rohan prepeared a bottle to contain the product and began weaving a spell to make use of local atmosphere. Several gases mixed and merged to create a new compound. Yet within the mix there were plenty of oxygen and the spell was not picky. Within seconds, all of amonia that was created burned away in a pale yellow and green flame.

"Hey guy. Mind lending me a shard and or summoning a writing utensil?"

David borowed a shard from Jmames for some mysterious purpose.
________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

This kind of troll

Immagine this form, but shadowy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:47:16 pm by DreamerGhost »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2014, 06:40:51 pm »

"So be it, then. May the blood flow across this lands, empowering me further. Let the reign of death commence!"

I gain a previously discussed Death affinity. And head to the castle gates to bash open heads of those who linger my forthcoming progress in magical arts.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:43:37 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »

"Hello troll! What's your name? I'm James Mackenzie. I summoned you."
((I forgot to give James a last name on his sheet. It's Mackenzie.))
Talk to my new troll friend.

"Here's a shard David. You owe me one."
Give my last shard to David.

Summon a healing pill.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:04:21 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2014, 07:08:15 pm »

((I'm gonna assume James gave me the shard last turn so my action could use it yes? Also does using two affinities with no modifiers get a +2 bonus?))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:06 pm »

((I'm gonna assume James gave me the shard last turn so my action could use it yes? Also does using two affinities with no modifiers get a +2 bonus?))
((It doesnt, it's just a general +1.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »

Did the naga drop its swords?

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »

((It doesnt, it's just a general +1.))

Thank both of you for reminding me. CMP bonus in now purchasable with shards. Singular POT and CMP bonuses had the price changed.

Did the naga drop its swords?

For now she has droped a sword. I will roll luck next turn to determine how many more she will leave behind when climbing out of the pit.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2014, 08:18:45 pm »

Action one: Gain Enchantment. And enchant my finger for rune making.
Action two: Draw some enchantment runes on the cube and see what happens.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:06 pm »

Bind and strangle the naga with some thrown seeds that will grow into vines.
Trap her like I am trapped! But with more murder.

Hey, how about we don't fight? I let you do whatever you were doing, and I just leave?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:41:14 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »

Action one: Gain Enchantment. And enchant my finger for rune making.
Action two: Draw some enchantment runes on the cube and see what happens.

Are you trying to pull SCP-914 on me here? Also, enchantment is one wide affinity. I'ma need to balance that. It's like runes but better in every way. Don't know what to do just yet.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:39 pm »

Continue sleepily to the castle, I need a nap!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:27:03 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 506