Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1177691 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 119 Deals with divinity
« Reply #3075 on: October 07, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »

((You can give me a shard to heal your ribs if you really want, but the castle has a healing field so you'd be wasting your shard. I am become obsolete :'( (Not really there's still lots I can do.)))
See, you're being too kind. You should charge people (variably depending on their condition and current favor with you) for using the healing field. If they can't pay (because they've used the field accidentally or are trying to get free healing), you bring them outside of the field, lop off an appropriate appendage, have Whisperling tag them with a magical device that constantly sends a signal to you while their appendage is missing, and banish them from the fort until they pay you (note that healing the appendage that you cut off has to be paid for separately). If they (without your permission) do it again, disable Whisperling's tag, or heal their appendage on their own, have Whisperling tell you their location, and summon lava (or dragons or something equally deadly) near the culprit. If the culprit has hidden from Whisperling's detection, send some of the denizens of the Plane of Law after it. This also conveniently helps dissuade people from abusing Whisperling's field by jumping inside of the fortress in the middle of combat.
That's just cruel and against the intention of the field
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 07, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »

((You can give me a shard to heal your ribs if you really want, but the castle has a healing field so you'd be wasting your shard. I am become obsolete :'( (Not really there's still lots I can do.)))
See, you're being too kind. You should charge people (variably depending on their condition and current favor with you) for using the healing field. If they can't pay (because they've used the field accidentally or are trying to get free healing), you bring them outside of the field, lop off an appropriate appendage, have Whisperling tag them with a magical device that constantly sends a signal to you while their appendage is missing, and banish them from the fort until they pay you (note that healing the appendage that you cut off has to be paid for separately). If they (without your permission) do it again, disable Whisperling's tag, or heal their appendage on their own, have Whisperling tell you their location, and summon lava (or dragons or something equally deadly) near the culprit. If the culprit has hidden from Whisperling's detection, send some of the denizens of the Plane of Law after it. This also conveniently helps dissuade people from abusing Whisperling's field by jumping inside of the fortress in the middle of combat.

((You're assuming I would want anything to do with this.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 07, 2015, 04:14:18 pm »

((You're assuming I would want anything to do with this.))
But of course- you'd get 50% of the profits and free service. You'd get at least 1 shard for approximately 3 essences you're required to spend. That's a steal.

@fillipk: That was the humane version. The inhumane version is to remotely kill anyone who heals without your permission.

Unless, of course, NAV's character is just here to ensure that no war-crimes happen. That's fine, but NAV's character appears to have come here to try to win through capitalism, and (unless NAV says that he meant something else) he remarked about his Healing affinity's general drop in usefulness, so I suggested a way to abuse utilize it. Also, affinities don't force a personality upon you.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 07, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »

"Darn. The Gambler is busy.

Well I'm out of time and out of options. I have no choice but to summon it.

Blade of Light come from the sky.
Blade of Truth I'm out of time.
Blade of Lightning, Blade of fire.
All these things in a blade I desire.

Hephestus I call on you.
To make this reality come true.
So summon forth to the mortal plane.
The Legendary Blade: Vortex Bane "

Action: walk inside the castle. Then Summon The Legendary Blade: Vortex Bane
Mods:
Solid -1
Summon -1

Essences Spent:
ALL OF THEM (aka.)
4 Blade essences +1/+1
Chaotic blade essence +2/+1
Blade essence +1CMP

Soul Shards Spent:
5 Total:

4 on Potency
1 on Cmp

Other Objects Used In the Summon:
The silicon sphere is sacrificed to Hephestus. Hay, its my life's work. Maybe He'll take pity on me.

Notes: The beings who came from the rift passed through a time space etc. vortex. Therefore there weakness...

Also am I using essences in an aloud manor by the basic game rules. I'm not sure.

Doing the turn now. CMP boost for a spell costs 2 shards. Can't exactly do +0.5CMP

Okay then 2 shards on CMP, 3 on POT
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »

Turn 120

"that....was.....awesome"

go inside

Passing through open gate Flare foun himself in a courtyard. There were stairs that led up the walls, and a door to the main building. To the side, stood several vases with large white flowers growing in them. A sign hung near the entrance to the main building, proclaiming that there was a "Bar inside".

....uhhh what just happened?

Go inside,try to find the garden
Make 2 essences

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seva walked through the courtyard and entered the main building. Corridors were not marked in any way, nor there was a map anywhere to be seen, but some instinctive force told Seva which turns to take and soon he found himself looking over a garden of various plants. It seemed more like a piece of a forest than a garden, with various grasses, trees and shrubs, but there were clear paths through all this growth. There were numerous flowers of all colors, from white to yellow to green to black. On trees grew several known and unknown fruits. No sun shone on the garden, but ceiling seemed glowing just a bit extra here.

"That... That was something else.  Oh and can anyone lend me 7 shards so I can summon a chef minion"

Go inside and check out the bar, if I get the shards then use them to summon a non-magical minion, otherwise make 3 essences

Dwen followed Seva inside the main building, but took a different path, seeking a different room. There were several helpful signs, like "Bar this way", "for alcohol go right" and "Path of drinking your trouble away". Following the marked path, Dwen found himself in a room built much like a tavern, with possibly hundredths of bottles just behind the counter. There was a way downwards, leading to a basement of sorts, which was filled with barrels. Now, to find some customers.

...Well.

James, I presume you still want to know where that troll got off to?

Determine Grundar's location and general situation via a spell, using enough +1 CMP and +1 POT essences to get me +2+2, and tell James.

If Gambler offers me the +l luck ring, take it and whisper something in his ear.

Go and pick up the blue pyramid I found before, since it seems I forgot to do that.

If nobody who walks into the fortress seems to be in danger, go in and take a shot at finding the library.

Make two essences after all that.

{I assume the whole "Whisper in the ear" means that you wil send him a PM?}

Viznor focused on the troll as was described by James. Nothing. Then he attempted a different, older approach, and sought out the one carrying the name of Grundar. He saw a troll, looking just the same as others of its kind, held to a tree with branches that seemed to had grown in just the way to prevent any movement on troll's part. This was not too far away from the forest edge, just next to a lake. Viznor knew where.

Viznor then told James where his troll was and that it was captured. His duty done, knowledge mage traded some information for a ring with Gambler and headed off to seek a library within the summoned castle. Few left turns and a pair of staircases later, Viznor found himself surrounded by shelves filled with books.

"'T's 'Eautiful."
After a short pause, the Gambler speaks to Visnor,"Would ya be willing to accept a ring o' luck for information on tha portal?"
Trade for the knowledge, then head inside and feel for the auras and determine their strength. Make a small cut on a finger, flip one of the coins a few times, get a feel for the Aether, etc. No need to use magic. Then make 4 essences.

Gambler, after finishing up the trade with Viznor, entered summoned castle and began a string of experiments to test the enchantments. A small cut stopped bleeding in under a minute, healing fully in five. Coin tossing was a bit less accurate, doubly so due to enchantments Gambler already had, but Gambler felt that aura was about as powerful as rings he had made. Competence aura was the hardest, but after crafting four essences Gambler calculated that the help from aura was about as strong as he could had forged himself from a dozen shards.

"Hm...it's a start." Jase states before heading into the castle.

Head for the council chambers. Actually, since this place is animate, I want one of those moving sidewalk things to take me there, like the ones in the airport. On the way, Aether sense for those spirits or anything irregular. Make an essence afterwards.

Feeling experimental (or possibly lazy), Jase ordered a piece of floor in the courtyard to move, and to his satisfaction it did. Without any visible change in aether that formed the floor, Jase was moving forward despite standing perfectly still. Only when he reached the stairs it could be seen that aether was shifting, as stairs began climbing upwards. It took a few minutes, but Jase found himself in front of large double doors which opened to reveal a table surrounded by several chairs and beanbags. Jase then reached out with his mind, seeking the spirits that charged the tower at the last moment. While he had managed to find out rough layout of the entire castle, spirits were nowhere to be seen.

Jiksap gawks at the marvelous structure, which was so wondrously crafted by the Great Power from That Which Doesn't. Knowing that the first Council is likely to be held, Jiksap rushes in without further ado.
Get to the choppa council room! My steampunk hover chair is waiting! (Also create two essences)

Jiksap ran after Jase, not bothering to explore. He knew not where the council room was, but Jase would know and would go there. Mere minutes of following separated Jiksap from his mechanical throne. Soon, they reached large double doors, and beyond them, among other unimportant items, was the mechanical throne. It was held up by a pair of miniature dirigibles and a propeller on the bottom. It was decorated with brass pipes and gears. From several holes seeped a respectable amount of smoke, which seemingly dissipated after reaching some distance away from the chair, carrying no scent. There were at least six clocks on the thing. They all showed wildly different time.

"Hmm, this is most... intriquing."

3 plant essences. Proceed into the tower and locate the garden or any other plants in should garden be non-existant. Identify plants available.

Shias entered the castle and immediately noticed several white flowers in vases in the courtyard. But those were not the main goal, so he moved on; seeking the garden the castle was supposed to have. Strangely, even though Shias walked entirely randomly through the corridors, garden was the very first room he had reached. Seva was already there, looking at various plants. There were hundreds, of species here, tree and grass alike. Identifying all of those would take a while, although druid suspected that if he wanted some specific plant, he'd find them the same way he had found the garden.

"What an incredible building it is."
((Feels like this))
Enter the council chambers. 3 electric essences on the way.

{The tower could not look more evil if it was built entirely out of skulls, and you chose that? Okay.}

Eterna went off towards the council chamber, tracing after two others who went there. It was not too long of a path, nor too difficult. Though the way one of the mages traveled while standing entirely still had become more tempting after third staircase. Yet after council doors opened, Eterna found the one thing he added and which was particularly convenient as it was also a place to sit down. Eterna saw a golden throne, perfect replica of the one that allowed him to manipulate gold.

"Alright I think I'll just... leave this place right..."

flee to the castle!

A huge eldritch castle appearing out of rift in reality and getting anchored to this plane by something that appears to be hand of some really high tier devil? It did not take Ancano elven genius to realize where this was going. Invasion would soon follow. He needed to prepare, and there was only one fortifiable position on the island. Ancano rushed off towards castle ruins.

Meditate and attempt to clear my mind.

Ilium concentrated. What he was seeing right now was fake. He knew that. Ilium closed his eyes, and half of what he saw disappeared, other half persisting in dancing before his eyes. He destroyed the apparitions, one by one, until there was only darkness. Then Ilium opened his eyes and saw what appeared to be a castle somehow built out of a purple liquid, with massive storm clouds overhead. It would seem that the hallucinations were very persistent.

...Well.

James, I presume you still want to know where that troll got off to?

Determine Grundar's location and general situation via a spell, using enough +1 CMP and +1 POT essences to get me +2+2, and tell James.
"Yes. I'm worried about him. I'm guessing you want something in return?"

Listen intently to what Viznor has to say about Grundar.
Forge 3 healing essences.

James was indeed, quite interested to know where his loyal troll had holed up to. News were worrying. Grundar was both trapped and somehow, for some reason, returned to his original green self. The transformation was not exactly something vile, but it did reduce his combat capabilities somewhat. Did the captors intended to make him easier to contain?

"Hmm.. I guess the council is about to begin!!"

Summon saddle made out of leather from an extinct animal and petrified wood. Then saddle up my Utahraptor and ride into the castle to the council chamber.

Bob, deciding that it was the time to go in, in style, attempted to conjure a stylish saddle for one of his dinosaurs. Before him appeared a tree trunk with a hole in it. From that hole, a small angry lizard jumped out straight at surprised paleomage. Lizard possessed sharp claws, as Bob found out from lizards attempts to cut him. Yet Bob managed to cover himself with his scaly claws, and throw the lizard away, which was then eaten by Bob's Utahraptor.

Create two essences. Attempt to swordify(shut up that's a word) the iron pipe.

Alexander breathed in and out. It was a time tested method of calming down, and it worked fine for him as well. The trick was to start breathing before you get really angry. Alexander focused on the circular pipe in his hands. He focused on the image he wanted - that of a sword. He channeled his power into the pipe, and one side of it began to take an edge. The pipe itself flattened. But the pipe did not straighten, and when Alexander had finished, in his hand was an iron chakram.

i create essences until 1 collapses

Nihilum was entirely undisturbed by a huge castle basically being torn out of the void and plopping down here. Events as such happened from time to time, when wizards were around. And now there were many around him. Instead he focused inwards, collecting power of absence. But this was a chance, a chance to test how far he'd be able to go. He called power until he no longer could, and then allowed his last attempt to collapse freely. It would seem that absence chosen this time was an absence of absence - absence of a wizardly hat to be specific. A pointy wizardly hat appeared in front of Nihilum, painted unassuming gray. Nihilum knew that such hats came in two varieties: fake and enchanted. And this one did not seem fake.

Create two force essences then go and find the Council Chamber.

Crimson followed the few mages that were heading towards the council chambers. They were, indeed, surprisingly few considering that ten participated in creation of the castle. Well, while it may not seem like something that would be a common trait among those who base their lives around knowledge, many wizards had a very short attention span. Crimson just sighed and followed others towards the council room.

Kahel coughed, coming back to senses. His ribs hurt and he couldn't help but curse as he oversaw a great castle near the portal - an obvious sign that mages had accomplished the feat while he was blacked out. Well... Nothing could change that now. He still needed to come...

To the council! Three essences before that.

Kahel walked off towards the huge castle that had appeared out of nowhere. It was purple for some reason, and storm clouds hung heavy above it. Trio of magical formation lit up the tip of tallest tower. He sighed and walked towards it. There were quite a few mages around it, doing something irrelevant. Kahel walked towards the castle, walked through the gate and stopped. He stopped because pain in his ribs suddenly dulled. Not by much, just enough to notice, but as Kahel looked; skin around his ribs began to slowly stich together. A lose piece of bone fell out, and he could feel bones shifting slowly beneath his skin. It was slow, but it was strangely not painful.

Spoiler: Long turn is long (click to show/hide)
Okay then 2 shards on CMP, 3 on POT

Skeliborn gave up his silica sphere as a sacrifice and called for a blade with a specific enchantment. The spell, rather than calling a new blade, moved through the silicon sphere Skeliborn had. The sphere in his hands melted and reshaped itself, forming a blade of volcanic glass. It was both unbreakable by normal means and was anathema to any vortex. It was in size and shape akin to a bastard sword. It was perfect.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:03:25 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 07, 2015, 05:04:35 pm »

((Where's my other +1 on POT? Thought I specified the competence aura to give at least +1/+1.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 07, 2015, 05:14:38 pm »

I can't believe my spell actually worked... Better than what I had hoped for too. Anyway now that I know My character has a sword I'll go create a character image just because yay gimp.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 07, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »

((Where's my other +1 on POT? Thought I specified the competence aura to give at least +1/+1.))

((I... completely mised that. Crap. Now I'll need to check through most rolls made inside the castle. It should't change anything major, so I'll do that tomorow.)) 
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 07, 2015, 05:24:55 pm »

((XXXXYYYY, the info PM should be incoming.))

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 07, 2015, 05:54:25 pm »

Three force essences while waiting for the council to start.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 07, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »

((Sometimes I check up on this thread when I have the time. I'm taking the time to say one word to what you have done: WOT.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 07, 2015, 05:56:20 pm »

Anyway On To The Turn:
"This blade is even better a blade than I could have imagined!!(Thank you Hephestus). Although come to think of the council will be meeting soon for real this time. I'd better find my way there."

Action: Use the castle's built in place-finder in order to find a path to the council room, learning the layout on the way in addition to making 3 blade essences.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:03:11 pm by star2wars3 »

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:48 pm »

"Ah good its all in order, well then to the council chamber."

Head to the council chamber, and when I get there make three essences.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 07, 2015, 06:27:06 pm »

Necromancers are really good at ghost-busting, y'know.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »

Who ya gonna call?
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 506