Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181602 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 121 Gathering and explorations
« Reply #3165 on: October 14, 2015, 06:34:02 pm »

((It seemed like it was meant to stop any hostile actions, which seems like it might include any heated arguments. That would mean we can't even have proper shouting matches in the council chambers. We need our ability to shout expletives at each other. Joking aside, Jase knows absolutely none of this, and a key part of his vision for the castle was that mages could have disagreement and attempt to come to blows, which would be stopped by the other defenses. He interprets the mindwipe defense as infringing on the free will of mages, made more insidious because they wouldn't even realize it.

Also, and I'll have to double check with DG on this because I asked something similar earlier, the castle is the animate one that can sense the systems. No mages can sense them in any way, otherwise Jase would be able to know exactly what everyone else inside was doing since he did make the animate enchantment and the majority of the castle itself. Although if DG does decide that mages are able to sense what they create, I'm cool with that. Big Aether is always watching! We'll go 1984 with this shit.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »

You do realize that one of the only things in the fortress that keeps it from being the site of a mass murder is that anti-violence field, right?
((Not really. Elder mages are simply not bloodthirsty enough.))

Animate my own blood. All essences.

((Just a nifty precaution for the future, as well as first step for something more interesting... Considering my staff, I would still function quite well with a heart torn out - giving me time to think of something.))

That is a really neat idea, but doesn't really tie to aether. At all.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: October 14, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »

You do realize that one of the only things in the fortress that keeps it from being the site of a mass murder is that anti-violence field, right?

((Just a nifty precaution for the future, as well as first step for something more interesting... Considering my staff, I would still function quite well with a heart torn out - giving me time to think of something.))

((I'm... pretty sure that isn't Beirus.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:14 pm »

((How about liquids, then?  ;)
As Whisperling noted, I'm no Beirus and have no aether...yet.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »

((I'm... pretty sure that isn't Beirus.))
((It is not. But speaking of tying things to aether, DG, you're gonna love what I'm planning to do later. Or you'll hate it. Not sure yet.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: October 14, 2015, 08:02:34 pm »

I can't wait to see what you are trying to set up.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: October 14, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »

((Unaffiliated hoo hoo hoo))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:59 pm »

That's not ominous at all.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:38 pm »

((It is not. But speaking of tying things to aether, DG, you're gonna love what I'm planning to do later. Or you'll hate it. Not sure yet.))

((It's probably worth noting that I've designed an entire affinity just to beat you.))
((I'll PM it to any new player who wants to use it.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: October 15, 2015, 01:16:16 am »

((Aparently, Sarrak and Beirus are still too simmilar in my eyes for some reason.  :-[ ))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: October 15, 2015, 01:58:17 am »

((Aparently, Sarrak and Beirus are still too simmilar in my eyes for some reason.  :-[ ))
((That's fine and would be very amusing in case of a fight between us. Mirrored injures and all.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: October 15, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »

Turn 122

I put the hat on and meditate "Thank you Isis i shall do anything you ask"

"Share my gift by protecting those in danger, if you wish to thank me." And with that, the presence Nihilum had not noticed before, was gone. The hat was not doing anything peculiar for now.

"Ooo, aren't you ah nice lil' one."
Put on the amulet, then search around a bit for a chair outside. If one exists, take it. Then go up to the council chamber regardless.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gambler walked around the castle, searching for a chair fitting him. A lucky chair that could only be found by a lucky man. Possibly could only be used by a lucky man. He knew that it could only be used by a lucky man, because a plaque above the chair informed him that there was a dispenser built in the chair, but it had equal chance to dispense rare wines as it had to dispense quicksilver.

Shias the Druid
"Well then. Council chamber has been created. What is be the matter this council will discuss about?"

Placeholder action: Make 5 essences.

Shias, not habing anything immediete that needed doing, decided to go for some risky ammounts of power gathering. He hadd a feeling that he'd need them later.

go to council chamber, make a chair of gold. also look at the etchings in there.

Not too interested in ancient battle sites, Flare went off upstairs towards the council room. Once there, feromancer noticed something peculiar. A throne of gold. It was a beautiful thing, unlike the mage sitting on it. Flare saw it and knew he wanted it. From aether he called a throne for himself, yet what arrived was a huge lump of electrum. Flare tried to calm down by looking at the etchings on the walls, but he could not understand a single symbol this time.

4 Electric Essences. Again.

Eterna was relaxing nonchalantly in his new throne. Mages around were all waiting for the council to start, so it was relatively quiet. He continued focusing power so as to not go asleep from relaxation.

Try to enhance my force shield with animate (-2). One force essence after.

Crimson decided that it was about time to improve his shield. It was the only thing in his gear left unenhanted, and he knew well by now, how to craft enchantments of mobility. Soon, the shield was able to both bend and fly at will.

Old King Coal stopped to catch his breath.

"What is this place? It's as though someone spliced several bubble universes together!"

Old King Coal sighed as he realized that he was extremely lacking in essences.

"It's been so long since I've had to cast under pressure..."

Old King Coal takes a cursory look around and makes 3 Bone essences.

Old King looked around. There was nobody immediately chasing him, so King looked around better. There was a large lake of what seemed to be bloody Mary cocktail. There was a smaller lake of clear water. There was an eldritch castle that glowed purple and there were some normal looking castle ruins in the opposite direction. What caught Kings eye was a bush of tobacco growing near the smaller lake. It just seemed strangely out of place next to reeds.

James nods to Grundar.
"Don't worry I'll get you outta here. Its the tree men who should be saying sorry not you."
He then looks at the three treants stopping at the purple one. He's getting very frustrated with tree's behavior lately.
"Why do you have Grundar bound like this? Please let him go."

"I'm guessing the aberration you're asking about was the troll's extra arms. I see he doesn't have them anymore. No, that wasn't weren't my work. The mage who caused that is dead now. You know just because someone looks a bit different doesn't mean they're an aberration, that's very inconsiderate thinking."

Try to peacefully talk our way out of this, but if the treants attack blast them with my dragonbreath then use the chainsaw to free Grundar. If they don't attack then forge 3 healing essences.

"You have no idea of what you speak as you say 'a little different'. Fleshsmiths and their abominations left scars that remained for centuries after they were stopped. We saw one with the skill before, but he escaped us. But we sense that you speak truth. Do not go down the path of forging flesh, it is a path of corruption and destruction. Now go." With these words, roots around Grundar crawled away, releasing the troll.

Mmmm.
3 more essences, I guess.

Alexander was getting slightly bored. He crafted numerous swords, but there was nothing to use them on. So many mages were holed up in the tower, and those who weren’t seemed to be asleep. There was a serious lack of aggressive ambition going on here.

"Hey, you seem to have forgotten your...oh, he's gone. No matter, this may prove useful."

Pocket Xom's paradoxically ten-cornered cube and set off in search of the fortress library.
PM sent.
Create 4 essences.

Ilium collected the paradoxes object and went off towards the castle. There was a place within it that held something he wanted. It took surprisingly little time to find the library. Once there, Ilium disappeared between bookshelves and went to meditation.

"So are we starting this council or what?"

Make my way to my oak chair, and then craft 4 essences

Waiting for the council to start, Dwen managed to do something that had never happened before within the castle - unintentionally fumble creation of an essence. Thankfully, this merely conjured a cloud of gin mist over Dwen, making him smell like a drunk. For a moment, Dwen felt regret that gin had materialized outside of him, as this waiting did not seem to be coming to any close end.

"Hmm... Now that I'm here, might as well have a seat."

Summon a chair. Then check whether it's safe to sit in. If it is safe, sit in it and join the council meeting.

Bob, feeling that same feeling which goaded wizards into building ever taller towers all over the land, pride, decided to call forth a personal seat. Aether chairs were perfectly fine, but they lacked both impressiveness and identity. From times long past, Bob called what appeared to be a wooden throne covered by moss. The moss worked surprisingly well as a cushion, allowing comfortable sitting. What made the throne ideal was that it had a moss covered platform to each side. What for was made immediately apparent as both of Bobs raptors lied down comfortably on the platforms like overgrown mutant cats.

Jiksap's new creation was a thing of beauty in his eyes. A mechanical paradox: always broken yet always functioning, the gears turning even as they collide. He knew now that he would finally be able to think in peace... or, at least, peaceful on the outside. What goes on inside is quite the opposite.
Create 3 essences, meditate with my cool thingy that represents my insanity. Obviously, think of crazy things! Like the relationship between the crazed mind of the inventor to the mechanical order of the finished product!

Jiksap looked mesmerized at his newest creation. He focused an essence and one of the cogs began moving faster. He focused back on the effigy and the gear slowed down again. The gears seemed to react to the way he thought at the moment, but Jiksap had yet to detect a reliable pater. It was so very interesting.

Skelliborn
If Viznor agrees to the trade: turn Viznors "bone claws" item into a more bladish, more powerful, bigger, enchanted blade, sharper etc. version of itself using:
2 Blade essences +1/+1 in return for more knowledge of the vortex bane's properties.

If not, create 3 essences.

Also walk through the council room trying to get to know the other mages and get some allies. Even the strongest mage has weak spots in their magic defense, something which allies can help cover for.

Using enough +1 CMP and +1 POT essences to get me a total bonus (including my natural bonus, the competence aura, etc.) of +3+3, Find out more about Vortex Bane for Skeleborn. In particular, figure out exactly how unbreakable it is (how well can it resist magic, how much physical force can in take, that sort of thing), how its powers can be used (beyond destroying vortexes), and how large a role Hephustus actually played in making it.

If possible, implant the information directly into Skeliborn's mind. ((IE, have it PM'd to him)). Try to do the spell at the same time he enhances my claws.

Pick up the book, and take it with me. Use a spell to figure out what the valuable thing I found is (preferably including a run-down of what it is/can do. Could you PM that bit to me?), then get the library to bring it to me. If that doesn't work out for whatever reason, just go look for it myself, since I assume the scanning spell at least gave me an idea as to where it is.

Also do this:

Make two essences afterwards.

Viznor and Skeliborn launched their spells at the same time, to keep matters fair.  Viznor did not know what knowledge he had just planted in Skeliborns mind, but he could feel his bone claws grow heavier. They had indeed grown larger, there were even what appeared to be small inward facing spikes on them.

The trade finished, Viznor sought to find the treasure that his previous spell had revealed. Some extra magic was spent searching for the details of the treasure, but it seemed to be shielded. But not shielded enough, thought Viznor, pulling a particular book out of a particular shelf. There was something about it that gave it greater value than anything else here. Seeking to find out exactly what, Viznor opened rough leather bound tome and quickly closed it again, just in time to seal a stone fist that was somehow within the book back inside. This book was both magical and angry, and that was never a good combination in anything.

"We will wait for James before we decide on anything. I still have some modifications to make "

Transfer power from the mind wipe defence to the competence aura.

Have the castle form part of the solid aether of the table into a tablet for me. If it has to be a spell, use my +1/+1 aether essence on it. If not, use the essence on my first spell.

Jase focused his mind and extended his magic toward the structures of power that held the castle together. There was a shift in runes within the walls, and one of glowing circles above the castle doubled in size. It would take a minute or two until the aura finished changing, but it was done. James looked back at the other mages, most of them siting on fancy personalized thrones, and decided to be better than that. Rather than crafting an elaborate throne, however, Jase marked his seat by forging a tablet in the part of the table next to it.

Continue travelling, creating 3 essences on the way.

Xom continued traveling away from the eldritch castle and towards the furthest explored edge off the island. He stopped just before the dessert to catch a breather. Hot air blew from the sands, although no source of heat could be identified. That did not bother Xom much, when magic was involved, artificial deserts were nothing unusual.

Edits and stuff

The portal came to life once more, and from it Marcus the necromancer appeared. There were many legends about his might, but there was a disconcerting fact that the portal flared entirely different color when he entered that spoke more than a thousand rumors.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:27:03 pm by DreamerGhost »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 122 Strange tomes and Old enemies
« Reply #3177 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:28 pm »

C'est useless!
Start walking in a random direction, then. Maybe a worthy opponent can be found elsewhere.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: October 15, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »

Shias the Druid
"Well then. Council chamber has been created. What is be the matter this council will discuss about?"

Placeholder action: Make 5 essences.

You forgot my action.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 122 Strange tomes and Old enemies
« Reply #3179 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:03 pm »

Dwen starts humming the jeopardy theme as he makes 4 more essences.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 506