Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180790 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 126 And the winner of "Most doomed" award is...
« Reply #3600 on: November 09, 2015, 03:23:57 pm »

Turn 127

Keep chasing... whatever this thing was.
If it was an opponent, then it was something he would find, one way or another.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As Alexander ran through the forest, branches of the trees began going lower and lower. It became darker, but not so dark that blademaster would be unable to see what was in front of him. Just as ground in front of him shifted, Alexander jumped upwards, breaking through several branches and landing over four meters away from where he jumped. Just behind him, a clearly artificial pit had opened, leading into some sort of dark tunnel below. Forrest foliage laid at the bottom of the pit, but to the sides, there was something what seemed like tunnel entrances.  Within those, Alexander could see something moving around. It was too dark to see what exactly, but he had just dodged a trap and found something certainly hostile.

"Well. That was fun. Haha! I have an idea!"

Old King Coal knew that there would likely be real loot in this world somewhere. Loot he could use to protect himself.

Old King Coal takes the mimic heart(if he hasn't already), and goes off in search of more loot, making three bone essences as he does so.

Old king decided to take a better look around the lake. It would be rather silly to leave a mimic in such a place, where it could be discovered by animals, or sink into mud after some rain. Obliviously, there had to be something more around here. Maybe a buried tower or something like it. But wherever exactly that something was, King failed to guess, as his walk found only grass and insects.

Wait until my brain is back online, then make five knowledge essences. If I have time, take a glance at my book and see if any of the tips are relevant.

It felt like awakening from a dream, as Viznor suddenly realized he could move his limbs again. Biological functions, such as heartbeat and breathing became less noticeable as biomatrix returned control back to appropriate brain regions. Viznor stood up, returned to his chair, and opened his book again. Hopefully, it would warn of something that he was not too late to change this time. The page he opened read "Watch for that, which is out of place". Pondering what it could mean, Viznor began focusing essences. The last one, as if led by a stray though, imploded, causing Viznor to take in his surroundings. There were, in fact, two things that were out of place. No matter where he had went, there were white flowers and wall etchings in all rooms he visited, including corridors and courtyard.

"Whew, it's safe! Seems like one or two other mages had the same idea... And it worked. Now, back to the original plan..."

Make five liquid essences (to compensate) and check the acid-corroded room for anything interesting that appeared after the local cataclysm.

Kahel looked around the room, which suffered surprisingly little devastation. In fact, the only thing truly different was that walls no longer looked liquidish, but that was most likely unrelated. Windows were still blocked by solid acid, yet it was not all that dark. The walls seemed to be glowing a little. Both floor and ceiling were now less of a plate and more of a set of bars behind which was a pipe leading somewhere. One for air to come in one for acid to come out, nothing too strange. Kahel looked about himself, and found that acid had apparently no effect against anything that was not flesh, as not only his items had remained unscathed, his clothes were too, hardly even damp.

Taking a quick look at his new surroundings, Cubearc heads toward the castle and crafts a cube essence.

Cuberac looked around, stretching a bit as he did. Moving through portals could be rather uncomfortable in certain ways. There were several mages around him, all of whom were looking at something. Cuberac looked at what they were looking at, and he did not like what he saw one bit. Huge glowing purple tower stood, trio of circles orbiting around its tip and dark clouds overhead. At its base, there was a wall, with gates, which were raised. Surrounding this whole structure, from ground to the top of the clouds, was what appeared to be a grid of metal, if metal could had glow in such an eerie way, and support its own weight despite being so thin, that it vanished entirely from sight as ring turned. Then again, the bars that should have been on the other side of the castle were invisible from this side, creating the illusion that the whole structure existed only between observer and the castle. Deciding that someone else could deal with the sealed demonic tower, Cuberac walked swiftly away from where he teleported in, and towards a more mundane looking castle in the distance.

Cast a spell empowered by +3/+3 essences to make the approaching vines chaotically tangle themselves up.
Attempt to free myself from any vines still gripping me. If this doesn't work, disintegrate them with a +2/+2 spell.
If successful, resurface for air and loot the chest.

It was rather difficult to cast without speaking, or more precisely, to cast spells that actually did anything, but Xom managed it well enough. Several vines that were coming for him began moving erratically, few even tangling up each other. Then there was the matter of the one which had already caught him, but now with a good solid surface from which to kick off, the task of freeing himself proved to be much easier. Xom tore out the entire vine out of the wall, with a few pieces of rock included, tore off now weakly holding on tentacle, and swam to the surface. After taking a few breaths, Xom dived down again, just in time to see the falling rocks trigger a pressure plate, which sprung several traps on the floor of the pyramid, causing a cloud of bubbles to appear. After bubbles dispersed, Xom saw a veritable forest of spears had sprouted almost everywhere on the pyramids floor. Xom tried to grab onto the box without touching the spears, but it proved a bit heavier than he had thought, and in resulting flailing, Xom got several shallow but painful cuts over his body before he managed to properly pick up the chest. It took long enough for Xom to run out of breath entirely, but he reemerged from the top of the pyramid, chest with a curious lock in tow.

((Oh well I guess it was doomed from the start was fun while it happened though.))

Run Run Run Run away from the angry mages making 3 essences while moving
order my velociraptors to run around Dwen and cut off his escape
fly at him, using all limbs(including my wings) to beat him to death

The Gambler looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible.
Summon a glass scalpel and a thin and small (~1 in across) glass razor-edged disk. Slice. him. to. ribbons.
If there is a chance, insert the disk between C5 and C6 in his spinal cord, which should cause nonlethal full-body paralysis - gotta let the others have some fun, right?. Then drain his luck just one more time, to seal the deal.

"when I get my hands on him......"

CHARGE AT DWEN! RAZOR WING SLASH!

((I have been waiting to make use of the fact my wings are sharp for a while now))
Shias the Druid

Run Run Run Run away from the angry mages making 3 essences while moving

Hug him. Hug him very, very hard. So hard that his ribcage cannot hold it.
Preserve his head.

Action PM'd.

James looks at Grundar. "Eat him."
Grundar will eat Dwen or whatever's left of him.

James will play support and not take part in the fighting this time. Heal anyone who is dying or incapacitated, then craft essences until 5 spells have been cast.

Quote from: Beirus
Stuff

Dwen chose the sensible option and attempted to flee from very angry mages, yet it was a bit too late. Both Grundar and Shias beat him on speed, and launched a flurry of blows, each going not for strength, but rather speed. Dwen dodged most of them, but that slowed him down, and Dwen was soon forced to stop as a trio of overgrown velociraptors blocked off his escape route.

Jase focused his will through the castle and a force field cut off the corridor already blocked by velociraptors, destroying any hope Dwen had of getting away. Marcus disappeared from Jases' sight as he again attacked Dwens already damaged soul. Yet as he was preparing the spell, several hard and sharp objects struck him from behind, breaking his focus. They caused no physical damage to Jase, but the distraction weakened the spell enough to allow Dwen resist the effect entirely by willpower.

A few seconds before, Seva and Flare charged down the corridor, intent on killing Dwen burning just as bright as any other mage, but both were stopped by force fields that were there for just long enough to completely stop the two in their tracks. Flare was having none of this, however, and with a great flap of his wings sent greater part of his feathers flying towards Dwen, those in the way be damned. Force field attempted to stop the flurry of razor sharp feathers, yet was soon shattered. But it had done its job, as the score of feathers which still remained flying embed themselves in Jase and Shias, causing practically no damage to either.

Gambler was last to move, but this proved to be to his advantage. Force field defenses were momentarily overwhelmed, which meant that there was nothing to stop him from using his newly created wicked looking glass implements to cause grievous bodily harm to Dwen. They were probably not intended to be so wicked looking though, all those spikes did not really add anything, and in case of the disk, were rather obstructive. But at the time, gambler did not care. He charged past gathered mages and struck Dwen from behind, aiming for a certain part of his spine. Disc managed to cut through flesh, but when it met bone it stopped, unable to penetrate further. Gambler swore under his breath and attempted the same with scalpel only to find another bone. Gambler replaced his swearing with spellcraft, and drained what luck Dwen had left. If not him, someone else would get the brewmaster.

Seeing a severe lack of a dead brewmaster, Crimson, who had been, just a moment ago, content to watch from the sidelines, began to act. He lifted his force claw in the air and squeezed the claw into a fist. Immediately, the very same claw appeared around Dwens' neck, squeezing hard enough to crush his throat, then squash through all the surrounding flesh and grab straight onto the spine, and finaly, with a loud crack, Dwens head fell and twisted in an angle that was very much not survivable. Ambitious brewmaster was dead. White flowers that grew on nearby windowsill bloomed and what appeared to be a light mist descended from them onto Dwen.

PM.
Run out of the chamber, create 4 essences, and exit the castle for a breath of fresh air away from all the homicidal maniacs.

Ilium, deciding that the council went as far as it was going to get, decided that it would be about time to leave. He had a very interesting book he wanted to read, and this was almost certain to get more hectic. Acid somehow miraculously manage to do entirely no damage to his book, but that might not be the case with next dangerous substance. Just before leaving, Ilium left a bit of his own artwork as a trade for the book he indefinitely borrowed, and went out to the courtyard. There, he was faced with a closed gate and some sort of grid surrounding the walls in a perfect cylinder. Now that was new.

Marcus observes the savage beatdown of Dwen.

"Yes... Feel the true power of wrath... Soon, you will be free of your restrictive morals, and only divine law will remain. Perhaps Master will give me a promotion when that happens."

Marcus observed the beat down for a while, as many mages failed in various ways to kill Dwen, but moved on, walking past the raging crowds. He had something important to do after all. Best do it while they are all focused on hunting the poor opportunistic bastard.

(No need to worry the acid right now...)
"Looks like i must make him can't run."

Could i walk and is the static field moves with me?  If so, get out from the sphere(or break it).
Could i see Dwen? if so, try to paralyze him (ranged if i couldn't touch Dwen).

Eterna carefully moved his left hand. Static field dutifully followed after it. Eterna moved the hand a bit faster, and static field kept up with the movements. He jumped, and the field jumped with him. Satisfied, Eterna walked outside, where all the action was happening, meeting Marcus in the doorway. Eterna left a wide gap for Marcus to pass, it wouldn't do to shock fellow mage, at least not before he got his hands on the one who tried to drown him in acid. But as it turned out, he was a bit late, as Eldritch knight had already somehow decapitated Dwen, judging from a purple fist resting where Dwens' neck used to be. Wait, what was Marcus doing here?

Stop the tank from spilling liquid, then investigate what came out. If it's useful, suck it back in with the tank; otherwise (or if the liquid has particularly damaging properties), go shoot a high-pressure laser of the stuff at Dwen. And if the liquid is either sticky or slippery, aim for his feet.

Jiksap rushed to catch the container before too much of whatever was inside leaked out. His fast reaction and lack of any obstructing sea of acid allowed him to grab the container before more than few drops escaped. However, Jiksap had some difficulty identifying the liquid. The smell was unknown, although fruity. Touching the stuff did not result in a lost finger, so it was not an acid. At a loss of methods, Jiksap decided to give the stuff a taste test. It tasted like eggplant and rubber. Nothing terrible happened, which made Jiksap to rule out poison and drugs, or at least that was not the primary purpose of the liquid. But for all that, Jiksap was still at a loss as to what this could be.

i follow the sign to see where i am needed and craft 3 essences on the way

Nihilum got up from the chair and ran out of the chamber, following the marks of Isis. Walls around him had become strange; they stopped moving around and became more defined. There was a commotion up ahead, and Nihilum forgot the walls, focusing on what was just about the corner. There, he was faced with a force field, beyond which laid a mutilated corpse of Dwen. If it was the brewmaster Isis wanted him to protect, he had been late. Yet sign continued to burn beyond the force field. There was still work to do.

Above the tallest of purple glowing towers, the largest of the tree circles shrunk in size until it was no larger than other two.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:56:30 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 127 Beat that, Vader.
« Reply #3601 on: November 09, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »

Have a slightly closer look at... whatever this was. Was it even large enough to be a worthy opponent? Not that smaller creatures couldn't be good opponents, but if it was wildlife, it probably relied on poison or some such, and he had no antidotes. Looking for a decent fight or no, he'd rather not die quite yet.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: November 09, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »

James stares at Marcus through his glasses. (which he wears anyway despite not actually needing them to see because he's a healer.)
"You have a too much nerve. What do you think you're doing here?"

Grundar should have had -1 speed and +1 strength, not that it would have made a huge difference.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

_Shinju_

• Bay Watcher
  • I drink and I forget things
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 126 And the winner of "Most doomed" award is...
« Reply #3603 on: November 09, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

i follow the sign to see where i am needed and craft 3 essences on the way
you forgot me

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: November 09, 2015, 04:18:40 pm »

"Bah! No... no, I think not. There is loot here and I will find it! I WILL FIND IT!"

Pretty much anybody on the duck island could have heard Old King Coal shout that, but he put no thought to what his shout perhaps might have attracted.

Old King Coal choses a random spot somewhere around the lake and begins digging at it with his shovel, making 3 bone essences as he does so.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: November 09, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »

"Effective, if a bit esoteric. His shards are yours, Crimson. And I'm sorry if it inconveniences the rest of you, but the field further down the hallway will remain until the trespasser is dealt with. I thought I was kind to let him walk away with his life and leave it at that after his threats, but now he has invaded this fortress. Such an act will not be tolerated. Whoever kills him can keep his shards, I'll find some way to give James something of equal value as recompense."

Jase Blackthorn, Bounty Lister
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: November 09, 2015, 04:34:51 pm »

You skipped my turn DG. I pmned it but since u missed it here's a summary of what it was:

Skelliborn
Action:
Skelliborn enchants Vortex bane so that only magic which Skelliborn allows can effect Vortex Bane.
Mod -1 specific

((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: November 09, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »

Cubearc creates another essence and enters the castle.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: November 09, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »

Using a single +1+1 knowledge essence, cast a spell to determine a course of action which will keep me as safe as is physically possible, from all dangers I may encounter in the next turn or two. Follow it to the letter.

Ask Biomatrix to get rid of my ears. Deafness is inconvenient, but it work wonders against sound-based attacks. Obviously, don't have him do anything he can't fix later.

If I still have time, try and get the attention of the mindwipe field. Sure, it's low on power, but there's got to be something left. If at all possible, do this with the fortress' animation, without the use a spell.

If I have time, make 5-(the number of spells I cast this turn) knowledge essences.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:28:32 pm by Whisperling »

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: November 09, 2015, 06:41:08 pm »

The Gambler wipes off the disk and scalpel on the late Dwen's clothes/rags. Clearing his throat and shaking his head, as if to dispel some thorny phantasm, he shudders bodily, and drops into a half-kneel.

He solemnly draws a small symbol on the Dwen's palm in blood, then takes a coin, flips it such that heads are up, and slips it into one of the corpse's pockets. Lastly, he mutters a surprisingly soft funeral muttering, worn and tired from use.

"May your aftalife suit ya as it may an' may tha gods give ya fair judgement.
'Arewell, Brewer Dwen."

After finishing, he pauses and becomes still for a second, then steps back.
"'At are 'e going ta do with 'im?"
((Did Dwen use his shards before he died, or did the flowers do something?))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »

"we need guardians.......james I recommend you summon....wait no....I can see that backfiring...."

just give me time and I should be able to make some golems."

go sit in my chair. make 3 essences.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: November 09, 2015, 07:00:43 pm »

((Hmm I guess I forgot to bold the attempted demon lord summoning, oh well.  New character coming up.))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: November 10, 2015, 12:03:53 am »

Shias the druid
Pick up Dwen's head. Craft 4 essences. Leave these insane mages and head to the forest if possible, non-violently.

"I got what I needed and I have no desire to spend more time with mages. I will leave and I ask you to not prevent me from doing so."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:54:25 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:34 am »

"I am sorry, Shias, but as I have already said, the forcefield will remain up until a certain nuisance is taken care of. It shouldn't take more than a few moments, but until then I will take any attack on the forcefield as a hostile action against myself. I understand you wanted to leave before this whole debacle happened, and I am sorry to inconvenience you more by making you wait since it seems whatever task you had is completed. I'm sure that wherever you are heading will not be going anywhere any time soon, and I'll try to make it up to you if you choose to visit the fortress again after you finally leave. Alas, you cannot depart immediately, especially since we seem to have a new growth of flowers around here. I hope you understand that I am a bit wary of such an interesting new plant coinciding with your departure after what has occurred. Although you have not given me cause to doubt your good will, neither did Dwen. You have been nothing but cooperative, and I only ask that you keep your patience for a few moments longer."

((Jase will let Shias out, it might just take a portion of the next turn before he does it.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: November 10, 2015, 01:31:55 am »

"Plants are my work, designed as a backup plan to take down this defiler. However plants do not act quickly and neither was I prepared to take him down this fast, so they activated too slowly. Do what you want with them after this, as they have fulfilled their purpose. But try to give them new purpose if possible."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 506