Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1182910 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 127 Beat that, Vader.
« Reply #3645 on: November 11, 2015, 08:53:21 pm »

((As for affinity. I think we may want to redo essences a bit to make it more worthwhile. My preposition:

1) Make essences only store POT, not CMP.
2) Give bonuses to spell CMP & LUCK for stronger affinity.
3) Make chaotic essences more powerful, yet roll LUCK for each chaos essence used.
+) Some LUCK-changing events might be interesting.

This will change the game, making it much more useful to gather shards and spending them on self-empowerment, though it will make POT stat semi-obsolete - just like now. It is not really useful while you have essences on hands. Perhaps, we should think of something else for it (instead of 12 shards/+1 POT)? on second thought, POT stat influences essence crafting and, as such, speed of restocking. Seems fine.

Reason for preposition: as of now, mages simply stockpile essences and cast without a chance of failure (chaos essences excluded). Not enough danger here, in my opinion. And no incentive to gather shards.))

This seems like a great idea. If anyone has anything against it, speak now, or don't complain when I implement it.
against
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 128 Who you're gonna call?
« Reply #3646 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »

Skelliborn

Action:
Spend all essences to assist the gamblers spell. This includes the choas essences.
If the gambler starts running keep run in the same direction at the same speed.(Still doing the body gaurd thing)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:02:51 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: November 11, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »

((As for affinity. I think we may want to redo essences a bit to make it more worthwhile. My preposition:

3) Make chaotic essences more powerful, yet roll LUCK for each chaos essence used.

This will change the game, making it much more useful to gather shards and spending them on self-empowerment, though it will make POT stat semi-obsolete - just like now. It is not really useful while you have essences on hands. Perhaps, we should think of something else for it (instead of 12 shards/+1 POT)? on second thought, POT stat influences essence crafting and, as such, speed of restocking. Seems fine.

Reason for preposition: as of now, mages simply stockpile essences and cast without a chance of failure (chaos essences excluded). Not enough danger here, in my opinion. And no incentive to gather shards.))

This seems like a great idea. If anyone has anything against it, speak now, or don't complain when I implement it.
I vote against this. I like the current system.

I assume that silencing me just cut off my innate magic.

Marcus smirks.

"I serve a god of Trickery. Did you honestly think that your petty mortal magic could find me? Like it or not, you're doing this the hard way. Thirty seconds."

A cruel and twisted smile breaks out on the Gambler's face when he sees Marcus, and he chuckles lowly to himself.
It would be rather unlucky for Marcus if Marcus' magic were to suddenly suffer a freak failure and render him corporeal, would it not? Make it happen.
        If that were to work, he would obviously go for the throat, provided it's not covered. Lots of valuable bits there, what with all the arteries and the windpipe.
                If it is covered by the armor, drive the scalpel or disk into the seam most likely to cause harm and force it as deep as possible. Possibly break it off in there, if that would help.
If the magic fails, drink of his luck like the finest of rare wines.

I'm going to do you a favor, because I like you. The Marcus you are currently looking at is fake. Keep in mind that I've kept up my pact with the Manipulator OOC (in this thread) as well as IC.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:34 pm »

((We shall see. We shall see.))

((@DG: to what degree can Luck manipulate reality, anyway? If no one were to look at, say, the southernmost wall/side of a cabin (for the sake of example, let's say you already mapped out the cabin's plan, but no player ever saw that wall), and one person with a very high luck bonus were to search for a doorway through it, could it result in a door that wasn't originally intended? Could a high enough roll result in more drastic results, like one of Marcus' clones actually being him, unbeknownst to anyone?))
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:06:17 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: November 11, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »

((@DG: to what degree can Luck manipulate reality, anyway? If no one were to look at, say, the southernmost wall/side of a cabin (for the sake of example, let's say you already mapped out the cabin's plan, but no player ever saw that wall), and one person with a very high luck bonus were to search for a doorway through it, could it result in a door that wasn't originally intended? Could a high enough roll result in more drastic results, like one of Marcus' clones actually being him, unbeknownst to anyone?))
Also,  even if you did cast that spell, it only has a 1/3 chance of succeeding. You have no essences left (Thank you, Dwen! You were adequate distraction).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: November 11, 2015, 09:47:49 pm »

Also,  even if you did cast that spell, it only has a 1/3 chance of succeeding. You have no essences left (Thank you, Dwen! You were adequate distraction).
((Eh. Better to try. Might add in a few more conditionals, though.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: November 11, 2015, 09:59:42 pm »

Strongly against.

I get that you want some danger present, but, to be honest, this would probably just sour me to the game as a whole. I don't enjoy the PVP aspect as much as I do exploring, building up power, and making fun stuff. Making spells unpredictable would basically force my hand- I'd like to experiment, and travel duck island, but that wouldn't be at all viable unless I could somehow get my hands on a multitude of shards.

I wouldn't object to more danger, mind you. In fact, I would probably enjoy some extra challenge, assuming it wouldn't make it impossible for me to properly play the game without going on a murder spree.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:01:40 pm by Whisperling »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »

Use healing magic to remove whatever necromantic enchantments Marcus and his equipment has and turn him back into a normal fleshy human. Healing being opposite to necromancy and all that. Even if the source of his etherealness isn't from necromancy it should still be possible to heal him back into a normal human. All chaos essences in.

Then hack him apart. Grundar too. (Don't hack Grundar apart, have Grundar help hack Marcus apart.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:29:29 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: November 11, 2015, 10:13:40 pm »

Use healing magic to remove whatever necromantic enchantments Marcus and his equipment has and turn him back into a normal fleshy human. Healing being opposite to necromancy and all that. All chaos essences in.

Then hack him apart. Grundar too.

Thanks for turning me into a super-human, buddy.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: November 11, 2015, 10:35:33 pm »

((The faces probably have something to do with Marcus' wail of the banshee spell. It might be a good idea to cover your ears.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:38 pm »

((The faces probably have something to do with Marcus' wail of the banshee spell. It might be a good idea to cover your ears.))
Speaking of Wail of the Banshee, I feel that you guys should know more about it. If I hit a +24/+24, it kills everything with a PC's health or less in a three tile radius, no save. I received a boon in my travels in the afterlife. Look at the possible boons for the Manipulator. Then, realize that I created the faces last turn, before I was silenced. Then, panic.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: November 11, 2015, 10:59:40 pm »

((I'm going to make a logical argument against this.))

((1. A few turns ago, Old King Coal conjured a bone shovel. This spell had 3 -1s (I presume maluses effect CMP, correct me if I'm wrong). If Old King Coal couldn't store CMP in his essences, he would have had to use shards or just not cast the spell. The reason? The most CMP you can get without shards and without essences and without other factors(blessings, magic items) is 6. If you subtract 3 from that, you get 3(a slight success/failure). And that's the best-case scenario.))

((2. But less personally... here's a little scenario for you.))

((My point? Having essences allows for more strategizing and planning ahead, not to mention more usage of powerful spells. Overall, it makes the game more exciting. If Bob and Phill didn't have CMP essences, those spells had a pretty high chance of backfiring.))
((No essences with CMP, and this game becomes "Roll to Bash Skulls or Throw Magical Dice, with An Occasional Good Result Fueled by Shards".))

((And 3: If CMP essences wasn't an option... I'm pretty sure that castle(the magic one) might not exist or may be... deadly to all who enter or some such.))

((In short: I feel that removing CMP from essences will make this game much less fun and strategic. And it will slow to a crawl.))

((Though I agree that chaotic essences should get more power.))

((And 4: not enough danger? Danger from self... not from others. No incentive to gather shards? First up, you need 100 shards to win. And second, shards have a variety of other uses, from granting new affinities to summoning minions to improving stats to acting as a last-resort spell fuel. Having CMP essences makes the game much more strategic and builds tension... (MMM, my essences are running out! Let's try this...)))

((And action:))

"My goodness. So... TIME FOR SOME EXPLORING!!!"

Old King Coal paused. Then he began to craft using magic.

Old King Coal creates(-1) a set of glowing(-1) durable(-1) bone climbing claws(-1 or -2). All non-chaotic essences. After doing this, he makes two bone essences and opens the temple door. If he still has time, he begins to descend into the temple, using his newly made climbing claws.

((And about Marcus: he only has 3 essences, according to the sheet. What's more notable are the two displayed items: "soulified chainmail" and "orb of unmarked paths". I suspect the chainmail is what's making him immaterial and the orb is either creating illusions or acting as a getaway plan.))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:09:29 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: November 12, 2015, 01:07:31 am »

The Orb of Unmarked Paths is an artifact I retrieved while I was dead. It (and the chainmail) is currently part of my soul; if you want it, you'll have to have me willingly extrude it (you can't loot it off of my corpse). Just something to keep in mind before you decide whether to take me down lethally or non-lethally when you find me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:10:40 am by ATHATH »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: November 12, 2015, 03:05:06 am »

Alexander smirks. If nothing else, the traps of these creatures could prove an interesting challenge...
Well then.

He pulls out his iron zweihander, and swings at the gremlins.
Assuming it's possible, he also attempts to make one essence. He might need more in case these gremlins were working with something larger than themselves, after all.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: November 12, 2015, 03:09:19 am »

((Quite interesting answers; thank you all for an adequate critique. I'm still thinking that we have much more CMP than needed, but the points of strategic planning, shard gathering and rule of fun still stand. I retrospect, I agree that changes would have affected the current game too strongly to be feasible. They are better suited for a deathmatch - which is not the case with RtM...

Seems like preposition did not make it. As such, I'm siding with general 'yes' side. Still, + to LUCK might be interesting.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 506