Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163991 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 127 Beat that, Vader.
« Reply #3675 on: November 13, 2015, 09:21:00 pm »

((New Character, any references are most likely completely unintentional))

Spoiler: Blake Thorne (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

((My color is black with a red glow))

"A new world, perfect...."

Head towards the big castle and when I get there make 4 essences
{Sorry about all that. I notice you used Red with Black glow in your speech, and I think I'll use that instead, if you don't mind. Black with red glow belongs to Biomatrix}

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Portal flashed to light once more, and from it, entered Blake Thorne along with a gust of scorching smoke. He looked around, seeing the pristine lakes and untouched valleys. There was a forest to the west, which showed no mark of ever being worked by tools. The magic that guided him by the will of his demonic lord brought him here and he saw why. A world as such could be quite a prize. Yet Blake did not get too comfortable. There was a tower of some unholy force, glowing purple, illuminating itself with eerie light that refused to make contact with natural one as sky was covered in black clouds. It would seem that some other power had planted their flag on the claim. That's just too bad for them, Blake thought, as he walked towards the tower.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:23:17 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 128 Who you're gonna call?
« Reply #3676 on: November 14, 2015, 09:44:00 pm »

PM'd action.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 127 Beat that, Vader.
« Reply #3677 on: November 14, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »

((New Character, any references are most likely completely unintentional))

Spoiler: Blake Thorne (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

((My color is black with a red glow))

"A new world, perfect...."

Head towards the big castle and when I get there make 4 essences
{Sorry about all that. I notice you used Red with Black glow in your speech, and I think I'll use that instead, if you don't mind. Black with red glow belongs to Biomatrix}

Portal flashed to light once more, and from it, entered Blake Thorne along with a gust of scorching smoke. He looked around, seeing the pristine lakes and untouched valleys. There was a forest to the west, which showed no mark of ever being worked by tools. The magic that guided him by the will of his demonic lord brought him here and he saw why. A world as such could be quite a prize. Yet Blake did not get too comfortable. There was a tower of some unholy force, glowing purple, illuminating itself with eerie light that refused to make contact with natural one as sky was covered in black clouds. It would seem that some other power had planted their flag on the claim. That's just too bad for them, Blake thought, as he walked towards the tower.
((Posting from phone so sorry for the huge quote,  did you mean my color isn't okay and I have to change it?))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 14, 2015, 10:01:00 pm »

((You wrote one color and painted your words with another. I am going to use the one you used instead of the one you wrote, as it is taken.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: November 14, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »

((Reposting so you see it:))
((@DG: to what degree can Luck manipulate reality, anyway? If no one were to look at, say, the southernmost wall/side of a cabin (for the sake of example, let's say you already mapped out the cabin's plan, but no player ever saw that wall), and one person with a very high luck bonus were to search for a doorway through it, could it result in a door that wasn't originally intended? Could a high enough roll result in more drastic results, like one of Marcus' clones actually being him, unbeknownst to anyone?))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: November 15, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »

((@DG: to what degree can Luck manipulate reality, anyway? If no one were to look at, say, the southernmost wall/side of a cabin (for the sake of example, let's say you already mapped out the cabin's plan, but no player ever saw that wall), and one person with a very high luck bonus were to search for a doorway through it, could it result in a door that wasn't originally intended? Could a high enough roll result in more drastic results, like one of Marcus' clones actually being him, unbeknownst to anyone?))

((As long as no other player is involved, LUCK can get you pretty much anything. If they are, then there are far more limitations, but you can make them unlucky enought to just sudenly keel over, though it would take a while.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: November 15, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »

((As long as no other player is involved, LUCK can get you pretty much anything. If they are, then there are far more limitations, but you can make them unlucky enought to just sudenly keel over, though it would take a while.))
((Interesting. Thank you.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 15, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »

PM.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 15, 2015, 03:53:50 pm »

A sheet for objects that are just lying around, in nobodys hands has been created. As I have memory of questionable quality, if you remember any item that is now just lying around waiting to be found, post info about it and I'll add it.

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: November 15, 2015, 04:07:24 pm »

Xom gleefully examined the Lotus core, attempting to discern the degree of power that lay locked within the cube. Without a doubt, this was the object he'd been seeking; that from which stemmed the rumours of apocalyptic magitech which had drawn him to this dimension. Much joy was to come of this.

Travel deeper into the desert and play essence roulette, just for the reckless fun of it. Attempt to not die.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 15, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »

Kahel, slightly amused by being semi-fused to his throne, waits for it to thaw a bit, while recalling ideas from ages past and their possible implementation. A shard-ice spider golems seemed quite fun... Huh. Wait.

Examine my glass golem while waiting for ice to melt a little. Then continue with essence creation. 5 temperature ones.

((Just to be sure: would I feel if ice demon dies? I start to feel slightly worried - if not for his well-being, then for well-being of all other creatures.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: November 15, 2015, 06:21:49 pm »

Turn 129

Cuberac steps through the castle gate and summons a sharp cube.

Cuberac walked into the castle proper. A great deal of the castle was in ruins, main entrance was blocked entirely by ruble, but there were paths over the very same ruble to few windows on the second floor and holes in the walls. While considering what to do and if there was even anything left to do, Cuberac conjured a cube that seemed to be made entirely out of sharp edges. There did not seem to be a single point on the cube that one could touch without cutting themselves.  Cuberac casually picked the cube up by the even sides which had always been there.

"My goodness. So... TIME FOR SOME EXPLORING!!!"

Old King Coal paused. Then he began to craft using magic.

Old King Coal creates(-1) a set of glowing(-1) durable(-1) bone climbing claws(-1 or -2). All non-chaotic essences. After doing this, he makes two bone essences and opens the temple door. If he still has time, he begins to descend into the temple, using his newly made climbing claws.

Old King looked the door over critically. There was no doorknob or anything of the sort. Well, King knew well that to absolutely any problem, there were exactly two ways of solving it. Brute force and some other way. So King stuck his shovel between two pieces of the door and wedged. One side slid to the side, revealing a hall that was just as tilted as one would imagine. Or at least it was as far as King could see, as it was dark inside. Not one to create a separate solution to each of his problems, King crafted a set of glowing bone claws and began climbing down into the dark. The climb, however, proved harder than King expected. He was by no means weak, but the constant feasts in which he participated left Old King somewhat heavier than average. It did not take long for king to do a mistake, he did not quite place his claw deep enough in between the stones, and when he released his other hand, the claw slipped and King fell all the way to the bottom. Yet the same blubber that caused King to fall also cushioned the impact, leaving king somewhat sore, but otherwise uninjured.

Alexander smirks. If nothing else, the traps of these creatures could prove an interesting challenge...
Well then.

He pulls out his iron zweihander, and swings at the gremlins.
Assuming it's possible, he also attempts to make one essence. He might need more in case these gremlins were working with something larger than themselves, after all.

END [4-1=3]
DEX [6]
CMP [6+1=7]
POT [4+1=5]

Alexander grabbed for his zweihander, but before he could strike, dozens of tiny spears bit through his skin. They did not cause any serious damage, however, and Alexander struck out with his blade. Killing a gremlin did not require much strength, but hitting one, especially in such confined space, required some dexterity. Alexander had that, and he unleashed a whirlwind of strikes, leaving half a dozen of gremlins torn to pieces. In his fury, Alexander struck a wall of the pit and managed to hit a stone. The stone shattered, but vibrations caused Alexander to drop his blade. It did not matter now all that much, however, as Gremlins found Alexander to be an enemy too tough for them and rapidly escaped through tiny tunnels in the walls. Alexander then noticed, that he was not feeling pain where the spears had struck him. He pocked one of the wounds, and found that he felt nothing. The wounds were numbed by poison on the spears. Did they leave him to die from poison rather than fight him outright?

Deeper into forest! Find its heart and pay my respects.
Make 3 essences. Pray for god of winds to grant me a favour in future.

Shias walked forth towards the depths of the forest. Trees parted in his way and roots buried underneath in his path. Soon, Shias entered a relative clearing, there were no trees in the clearing but branches above were intertwined no less than they were anywhere else in the forest. In the middle of the clearing rested a wooden pedestal upon which laid a huge lotus, within which there seemed to be a fountain of green. The green liquid (or was it gas?) flowed from the flower to the ground, where it spread and vanished. Shias knew that he saw the heart of the forest and knelt in reverent prayer. He felt that most of the trees surrounding the heart were treants, their lack of motion making them indistinguishable from actual trees. Had he not been permitted to come here, they would have likely attacked him. Shias then prayed to the god of winds. Branches of nearby trees and treant alike smashed against each other with the sound of thunder as winds of incredible might blew through them, hurrying towards the heart of the forest. There, just above the lotus, winds spun together and formed a purple tinted miniature tornado in form of a great bird.
I am one of the favored of the God of Wind, Pavasaris. I have enjoyed the forest greatly, playing within the branches, moving around leaves and chasing after squirrels. You have brought destruction upon one who wanted to destroy my playground. For that i am grateful, and I shall carry your wish to the one who rules over all winds. What is your desire?

"Hold them while you can!"
Run from the castle.

Eterna decided that discretion was the better part of valor and hastily evacuated the castle. There were faces growing out of the walls, there were ghost necromancers and all kinds of other spooky stuff. And he did not feel prepared for any of them. Yet it seemed that he was a tad too late. Once Eterna reached bottom of the stairs that led to the foyer of the Tower, he saw that someone had replaced the stairs with a vortex of alien geometries and lightning. Obvious ploy to keep people from escaping the Tower, but it had a flaw. While walls, floor and ceiling were all dangerous to touch, it was possible to jump through without touching either. Eterna took a head start and jumped forward, right over the cyclone of molten lightning and landed in the foyer, rolling a few times to drain the momentum. From there it was just a bit of walking and soon Eterna was safely out of the castle.

"Hold them while you can!"
Run from the castle.

Eterna decided that discretion was the better part of valor and hastily evacuated the castle. There were faces growing out of the walls, there were ghost necromancers and all kinds of other spooky stuff. And he did not feel prepared for any of them. Yet it seemed that he was a tad too late. Once Eterna reached bottom of the stairs that led to the foyer of the Tower, he saw that someone had replaced the stairs with a vortex of alien geometries and lightning. Obvious ploy to keep people from escaping the Tower, but it had a flaw. While walls, floor and ceiling were all dangerous to touch, it was possible to jump through without touching either. Eterna took a head start and jumped forward, right over the cyclone of molten lightning and landed in the foyer, rolling a few times to drain the momentum. From there it was just a bit of walking and soon Eterna was safely out of the castle.

Flare nonchalantly looks at where Markus was.

"Well then, I doubt he will last long. Mmmm.....

"Let's see.....I could save my dragon golem frame for later and make a guardian now.....
It would be quicker considering a simple guardian won't need as many parts.... Alright then. Guardian now. Dragon later."

create humanoid golem of animate metal, that is loyal to flare and can preform complex commands use 2 +1/+1 essences.  2. +1/+2 essences   And 4    Potency +1 essences.   

Flare was entirely ignorant to the attempts to kill Marcus and Marcus threats to kill everyone, although he had noticed walls suddenly growing faces and beginning to talk gibberish. It was slightly annoying, but not all that relevant to him. He had better ideas as to what was most important right now. The nonsense that was going around just ten minutes ago would not stand, and he had to make sure of it. Flare focused all of his might and conjured forth a humanoid golem to act as a defender of the Council and himself personally. At least that was what was supposed to happen. What appeared before Flare was a monstrosity of flowing iron orbiting around a solid core, shaping itself into menacing forms, each more horrific than the last. After a moment of hesitation, it began moving towards Kahel, who was still frozen solid to his throne.

Ehh, not far enough

Run for the hills with my velociraptors(the hills near the forest that aren't forest hills)
Then make 2 essences and watch the castle

Seva knew quite a lot about magic battles, what with all being a mage and whatnot. One thing he knew well was that blast radius was quite unpredictable aside from being different than one expects. So just to be safe, Seva decided to give the Tower some more distance and went off towards the hills. The cover they would provide could prove quite useful. The parrots began returning one by one, each reporting that they did not see Marcus anywhere aside form the one inside the castle.

"Ah thanks, I will spare you for that" chuckles madly a bit

Head for the more ruined castle now.  Make 3 essences

Blake thanked the fleeing mage and walked off towards the other possible fortification point. There was, after all, no need to bother in killing people one by one. Demons actually preferred the portal opening to cause as few casualties as possible, as it left more to enslave. Besides which, the one fleeing actually brought good news, if the Tower was about to explode, that would make claiming ownership of the world so much easier.

Xom gleefully examined the Lotus core, attempting to discern the degree of power that lay locked within the cube. Without a doubt, this was the object he'd been seeking; that from which stemmed the rumours of apocalyptic magitech which had drawn him to this dimension. Much joy was to come of this.

Travel deeper into the desert and play essence roulette, just for the reckless fun of it. Attempt to not die.

Happy with his findings, Xom wandered off into the desert to see if he could find anything else off interest. Luck seemed to smile on him, as sands shifted in just the right way as he walked, revealing a different dried up skeleton lying just in the open. Could it be a friend off the one who had carried the box with Lotus Core? Xom got so excited by what he found that he discarded the essence he was halfway through weaving and rushed towards the long forgotten corpse as sand around him turned blue.

Kahel, slightly amused by being semi-fused to his throne, waits for it to thaw a bit, while recalling ideas from ages past and their possible implementation. A shard-ice spider golems seemed quite fun... Huh. Wait.

Examine my glass golem while waiting for ice to melt a little. Then continue with essence creation. 5 temperature ones.

((Just to be sure: would I feel if ice demon dies? I start to feel slightly worried - if not for his well-being, then for well-being of all other creatures.))
{You would. A bit of spoiler here, but Ice demon got real pissed off at the dwarf who was too solid for his own good and just dumped him in the volcano. You get no shards but the dwarf is dead. Ice demon is now going towards the Tower.}

Kahel looked over his glass spider golem. It was a relatively simple construct, a statue of spider made of glass and animated by magic. It had fairly complex joints, as most golems did, but was rather unassuming. But it chittered at Kahel and he understood. Somehow, he understood what the spider was saying, and what it said was that it would make an excellent spy. The spider was unassuming, see-through and could pretend to be a statue if something happened. It could scout out an area and then report to Kahel. That was joyous news. Kahel looked around to see if any progress had been made with the faces on the walls and spotted a floating mass of iron that was shifting into ever increasing number and unpleasantness of spikes. Where did that come from?

A cruel and twisted smile breaks out on the Gambler's face when he sees Marcus, and he chuckles lowly to himself.
Summon a stiletto (the blade) that can injure incorporeal opponents and disrupts th magic of those it hits.
        If works, he would obviously go for the throat, provided it's not covered. Lots of valuable bits there, what with all the arteries and the windpipe.
                If it is covered by the armor, drive the scalpel or disk into the seam most likely to cause death and/or injury and force it as deep as possible. Possibly break it off in there, if that would help.
If the magic fails, feel for just how bad it would be to stay in this area.
        If it's bad, execute GTFO.exe
        Else, drink his luck like the finest of wines.

GTFO.exe:
        Inform others that something bad's going to happen right now so they should GTFO.
        Tell them to follow
        Feel for the best path.
        Run. Run fast and don't stop until outside and away.

Skelliborn

Action:
Spend all essences to assist the gamblers spell. This includes the choas essences.
If the gambler starts running keep run in the same direction at the same speed.(Still doing the body gaurd thing)

Use healing magic to remove whatever necromantic enchantments Marcus and his equipment has and turn him back into a normal fleshy human. Healing being opposite to necromancy and all that. Even if the source of his etherealness isn't from necromancy it should still be possible to heal him back into a normal human. All chaos essences in.

Then hack him apart. Grundar too. (Don't hack Grundar apart, have Grundar help hack Marcus apart.)

i continue to follow the sign to where I am needed and make 4 essences on the way
PM'd action.
Quote from: Crimson and Beirus
Stuff
Quote from: ATHATH
stuff

Crimson prayed to the deity that had contacted him. Before, it was a prayer of desperation, almost a joke, but now he was sincere. There was an enemy to defeat, one who threatened him greatly, and he had completed the task that was set before him. It was time to see how valuable faith could be. From somewhere, for a moment, he could hear a voice.

"So you forged yourself a body. Then you took that body and improved it, expanding its durability from centuries to eons. Well chosen. Many chose ask for immortality, few actually want it and fewer still can handle it. But those who serve me have to. There is an eternity of creating and observing creation, and my servants should do both. But I hear a plea for help. There is a threat both to you and your fellow creators; there is an enemy trying to claim what you had forged. You ask for aid and it shall be given."

With this, the spikes on Crimsons hand shift, becoming ethereal. Now useless against physical objects, they are now very effective against immaterial foes, such as Marcus. Crimson charged forward, plunging his spiked fist into Marcus stomach. The necromancer slid a few steps backwards, leaving force shackles behind, but his necromantic chainmail absorbed most of the impact, leaving Marcus unscathed.

Outside of the Tower, far away from the conflict, Viznor rushed away. He was not running away from the battle, no, he had a plan and the plan required a certain resource. In moments, he was next to the skeleton of the dragon, the last piece that remained after other harvested the dragon for all it was worth. From the skeleton Viznor grabbed a long straight bone, a draconian equivalent of femur, and chained a spell to it. It was a trap, meant to capture whatever magic Marcus was going to use. Viznor used all of his mastery for this spell, quickening it to the point where it would be hard to even a great mage to counter it, and downright impossible for anyone else. Yet as metaphorical fingers of his spell grabbed towards where Marcus’ magic was supposed to be, there was nothing. With horror, Viznor realized that despite all the suggestions and implications, Marcus never said that he was going to cast anything.

Gambler saw that his weapons could not hurt Marcus, if this was the real one it was ethereal, away from the physical realm. This called for a special weapon, and one of benefits of being a mage was that one never needed to wait. Gambler pulled out a glass stiletto, empowered greatly by Skeliborn, from thin air and charged towards Marcus. Yet just as he was about to strike, Marcus was blasted away by Crimson's punch. It wouldn't had been so annoying, but Crimson seemed to have caused no damage at all.

Nihilum watched as symbol of Isis flashed over all mages who had gathered here, before winking out and only remaining over Marcus. From what he saw, Marcus had entirely deserved what was about to befall upon him, but if the goddess willed him to be saved... Was his faith strong enough to risk his life to save someone from consequences of their actions?

Jase, however, did not feel like continuing this absurd spectacle any longer. he had a weapon and he very much intended to use it. Jase did not know exactly where Marcus was, but he could tell the approximate position. Striking where he aimed could be credited to his great skill at simulating the trajectories in his mind but that would be a lie. The strike was pure luck, yet that did not change the outcome one iota. For the first time, the ethereal blade forged by late Whaz faced something akin to an obstacle. For a second, the blade felt resistance as it cut through Marcus neck, but that only lasted a moment, as magic surrounding the blade turned flesh and bone to dust, neatly decapitating Marcus. Magic that rendered him ethereal and invisible to Jase ceased to exist, revealing a decapitated corpse, chainmail and the orb gone without a trace.

Grundar picked up Marcus head, tore off the top and swallowed his brains whole, destroying any chance of resurrection. Mages were somewhat disturbed by the ghoulish behavior, but far less than one would had expected them to. Marcus managed scare most of them, and they welcomed his enforced departure.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:51:33 pm by DreamerGhost »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 129 The last trick
« Reply #3687 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »

Some decent arguments have been placed forward against changing Essence system. I am going to put up a pool over this, which means that curent one needs to be resolved. Current score is 11 against 3 to allow Afinity stacking. If there are any arguments agains, say them now, or I shall add Essence stacking in next Turn.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: November 15, 2015, 06:37:57 pm »

((Interesting, now the question is Marcus truly dead, or did he want you guys to kill him so he could come back and kill you all.))

"Almost there, yes the castle will make a great staging point."

Continue heading towards the castle, create 3 essences, search the court yard of the castle.

(Also DG I think the map is messed up.))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: November 15, 2015, 06:39:03 pm »

"Is there anyone else who wants to make an attempt on the lives of the mages in this castle? Or are we done with this foolishness?" Jase asks, voice tinged with annoyance.

Get the shards. Not sure what I'll do with them yet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:41:40 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 506