Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163797 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 129 The last trick
« Reply #3765 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:05 am »

Is it really okay to start in the service and favour of a god? Because that's something players usually have to earn one way or another.

Edit:
Wasn't one of the Manipulator's conditions to tell no lies, IC or OOC? I recall something like that. Because this:
Actually, y'all are mindless vegetables spasming on the floor, unable to form a thought that's longer than 5 milliseconds or so. Since none of you are in any shape fit to attack me, I should still be alive.
was a completely unambiguous, factually incorrect statement.
It was the truth to the extent of my knowledge. DG might want to give an answer here, though.
I'm sorry but it was a lie even when you first said it. It was obvious what happened in the update, that Marcus died and everyone else didn't become mindless vegetables. That was the current state of the game. What you said directly contradicted what happened in the update. If you had replaced "are" with "should be", then the statement would have been true to your knowlege. But it was a lie.
((I think he (ATHATH) meant the actual person (us) itself. Nice hidden hole in the wall right there.))
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:14:39 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:03 am »

Return to the council chamber. Try to create three explosion essences.

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: November 18, 2015, 03:31:36 pm »

2 essences.
Examine the skeleton and search the surrounding area.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: November 18, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »

If the castle looks safe (IE, I see people leaving intact, and sense no imminent outpouring of destructive magic), duck in. Otherwise, just use the +2+1 and +1+1 chaotic essences for my spell. I'm feeling a little reckless right now.

Either way, use both of my affinities to recapture and modify whatever's left of the spell I cast last turn. Instead of drawing upon an external power source, simply have the part of the spell which would originally have enchanted the dragon bone cannibalize the part which would have taken control of Marcus' spell.

The end result of this should be an enchantment that allows me to tinker with spells in smaller, more subtle ways. Nothing big and flashy- just something which lets me change a piece of information here and there.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: November 18, 2015, 04:39:47 pm »

It seems to be becoming annoyingly common, but I will need to delay the turn by a day again. There is still an hour worth of writing left and I am allready feeling far too exhausted to continue. On the plus side, Event Dice finnaly decided to be kind and roll out something. And it's not even chrysalids.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:41 pm »

((Okay-dokey. Good luck with the writing.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

_Shinju_

• Bay Watcher
  • I drink and I forget things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 18, 2015, 04:56:57 pm »

((Well that sounds like the price of a good forum game))

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: November 18, 2015, 05:08:20 pm »

((This has been the most fun game I've been in on this forum, keep at it DG))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: November 18, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »

((This has been the most fun game I've been in on this forum, keep at it DG))
((Indeed.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:25 pm »

It seems to be becoming annoyingly common, but I will need to delay the turn by a day again. There is still an hour worth of writing left and I am allready feeling far too exhausted to continue. On the plus side, Event Dice finnaly decided to be kind and roll out something. And it's not even chrysalids.

((So the question is whether or not the world event involves the castle, the spawn portal, or the eldritch portal. Also theory: the 2 are either oppositely aligned or eldritch=bad, spawn portal = neutral, and a possible third portal, aligned towards good could exist/will exist in the future))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

((So the question is whether or not the world event involves the castle, the spawn portal, or the eldritch portal. Also theory: the 2 are either oppositely aligned or eldritch=bad, spawn portal = neutral, and a possible third portal, aligned towards good could exist/will exist in the future))

((The eldritch "portal" isn't actually a portal anymore. It collapsed and turned into something else.))

((If you guys want a conventional, shard-activated portal, I'd be happy to do some research magic and give you a location. Might even join you, if that's the case.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:42 am »

((Got really distracted, so much for a plan... Also of note that copying Marcus was unintentional. Well, I'd like to think so as I learned about his plan after conceiving mine.))

Looking at the steel monstrosity coming closer, Kahel smiled to himself. He just had a brilliant idea how to deal with the situation on hand!

As all parts of my body are/were liquids at some point, I affect all of it, making myself constantly ethereal. All essences since I want maximum output. If spell does not need so much raw power ((Sorry, DG, couldn't consult you here)) - add option to change state (ethereal/real) at will and/or full body control (Animate).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: November 19, 2015, 06:20:14 am »

((The eldritch "portal" isn't actually a portal anymore. It collapsed and turned into something else.))

((If you guys want a conventional, shard-activated portal, I'd be happy to do some research magic and give you a location. Might even join you, if that's the case.))
((We'd be happy for any help you could provide))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:48 pm »

Turn 130

"Almost there, yes the castle will make a great staging point."

Continue heading towards the castle, create 3 essences, search the court yard of the castle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blake was now running towards the stone castle, there was not that much distance left. Yet asking for more magical power after each ruined world instead of at least once asking for better physique was biting Blake somewhat, as he ran out of breath entirely with just a bit of distance left to the castle gates.

Cuberac decides to climb through one of the windows, and create 3 essences.

Cuberac climbed a pile of rubble to the second floor, looked through a window, swore as he saw a huge piece of what was most likely a part of the ceiling blocking the way, and sought another entrance. This situation repeated itself a few times before Cuberac finally found a way inside. The keep was truly well and thoroughly destroyed, anything inside was most likely buried underneath tons of rock, but maybe, there were some secret rooms that were cracked open by whatever happened here.

mmm......
-flare stands up-

"HALT"

if the golem does not obey use 2 plus one potency essences and 1 plus one competence essence to establish control.

Flare shouted a command, first vocally, then mentally, and when both failed to have any effect, magically. The cloud of sharp edges suddenly stopped moving, revealing that edges were far fewer than they appeared when in motion and then falling to the ground. Edges fell with a *splat* and spread out, revealing that they were a liquid all along, while solid core fell with a more solid *thunk*. It was not a good time for golem making, thought Flare.

"I just don't understand why people try things like that. It never works. He owed me those shards, so I'll be taking them."

Get 7 of Marcus's shards.
Try yet again to turn the omnicube into a powered armguard.
Remember that I still owe Gambler for upgrading the omnicube and give him a shard.
Gotta replenish my essence stock. 5 healing essences.

I don't think anyone else will bw that foolish anymore. So now lets get back to business. I'd like to create an expedition to deal with the eldritch portal thing to the southwest. I have a blade which should be able to stop the portal as portals are a type of vortex but I don't have the firepower to stand up against eldritch magic alone. Also, since the eldritch portal is a portal leaking how high level magic, there is a chance of finding some high level loot, the chances of getting good loot and being in danger increase the closer you get to the portal and probably skyrocket on the other side. So, who wants to join me?
"The expedition could use a healer. I might join."

edit, just in case:
If wail of the banshee actually does still happen, drop whatever I'm doing and heal myself. Just apply constant healing to counteract whatever damage it does. All essences. If the spell is powerful enough have it extend to other people too.
Amulet of magic defense would provide some defense too.

James collected his share of shards and began fiddling with his omnicube. Yet it seemed particularly uncooperative and refused to shift into anything useful. A giant pencil sharpener was not exactly useful either to James, or, he suspected, anyone who would had been using the cube as intended. Same went for a gigantic mug and bowl. James then decided that his time would be better spent recovering his power, but soon found that his magic was also somewhat less cooperative. Was there something wrong?

"Agh. Owww... that hurt. Bah. Onwards to loot! To LOOT!"

Old King Coal makes 3 bone essences, then uses the glow of the climbing claws to enable visual scanning of the temple. Visual scanning then commences.

Old king got up from age old dust and began looking around. There were all kinds of objects that had collected on what was once wall and now floor, mostly lamps candles and other knickknacks. But among the whole dubiously useful objects there was something more interesting. Namely, a bunch of the previous stuff, but with almost no dust on it. The dustless plot of rubbish extended to a hole in a wall that continued with a tunnel that seemed to be dug by a large animal.

Walk towards the purple stuff with my velociraptors,stopping at the edge and sending my budgeriars out to scout
Make 2 essences

Seva walked forwards until the field of glass and salt, sat down at the edge and sent out his parrots to scout around. It did not take them long to return, but there were a few less of them. They reported that there was some sort of growth in the field, a small treelike object near the center of the field. It had caught a few parrots with its black bleeding tentacles that it had for branches.

"I just don't understand why people try things like that. It never works. He owed me those shards, so I'll be taking them."

Get Marcus's shards. Give one each to Jase, Crimson, Gambler, and Skelliborn for their help.
Try yet again to turn the omnicube into a powered armguard.
Remember that I still owe Gambler for upgrading the omnicube and give him another shard.
Gotta replenish my essence stock. 5 healing essences.

I don't think anyone else will bw that foolish anymore. So now lets get back to business. I'd like to create an expedition to deal with the eldritch portal thing to the southwest. I have a blade which should be able to stop the portal as portals are a type of vortex but I don't have the firepower to stand up against eldritch magic alone. Also, since the eldritch portal is a portal leaking how high level magic, there is a chance of finding some high level loot, the chances of getting good loot and being in danger increase the closer you get to the portal and probably skyrocket on the other side. So, who wants to join me?
"The expedition could use a healer. I might join."
"Many thanks. I will join this expedition as well."
The Gambler breaks into a coughing fit, doubling over and shuddering with its intensity.
"'Ady above, 'at 'urts."
Study the enchantment on my chair and create a pattern to be able to copy it later on a more... portable object. Then, y'know, move it back into the council chamber, where it belongs.
Then make 3 luck essences and prepare to leave on the expidition.

Gambler looked over the magic that was bound to his personal council chair. It reacted by dispensing a dozen of bouncy rubber balls and a glass of ice cubes, as Gamblers investigation struck some of the enchantments, activating them. Finally, Gambler felt fairly confident that he'd be able to recreate the enchantment with some help from a summoner. Not having to pack anything, Gambler sat down back in his chair to comfortably wait until others gathered up what they needed for the expedition. Yet as Gambler began refocusing his power, just as he began thinking that something might be off, the essence he gathered flowed away into his chair. The hole opened and chair dispensed a frag grenade. It was finely crafted, but the pin was missing. But before it could go off, the chair dispensed some non-Newtonian glue over the grenade, making it sticky, and then a stasis cube, just large enough to catch the grenade and seal it's inevitable explosion in time. Gambler began thinking that maybe, the chair was not the best place to relax in.

Jiksap realizes he's been dozing for a bit. Everything seems to be quieter now; it appears those pesky lesser minds managed to stop Marcus after all. But Jiksap doesn't hold it against them; who wouldn't try to protect themselves from impending doom? Jiksap figures he'll look things over again, then try his hand at some classic mystery boxes.

Take in surroundings, look at spell circles on tower, etc.. Summon a box of random magitech parts, then create 2 essences.

Jiksap conjured from the ether a box full of various mechanical bits, for upgrades or some new construction was a matter to be decided later and walked to one of blocked off windows. The solid acid that had been blocking the doorway was smashed apart, but the windows were still blocked. It was however, a much thinner layer of acid, which proved to be much easier to remove with a few punches. Jiksap bent outside and looked upwards. The top of the tower was dark. Not too dark, the tower was still glowing, but the clouds seemed far darker than Jiksap remembered for some reason. Then it struck him. All aura circles were gone.

Shias the druid.

"My wish is one that cannot be realized yet, but when time is ready I wish for swift and favourable winds."

Respond to Pavasaris. Meditate on nature of this forest heart respectfully (as in what it does besides being fancy). Craft three essences.

"Then I shall be the wind at your back when that time comes."
With that, the stormbird separated again into gusts of wind and scattered across the forest. Shias sat down near the forest heart and began searching through its strands of magic for activity. He managed to find out surprisingly much. The heart created this forest from other forests. All other forests. Through the heart, this forest was a part of every other forest that has ever existed, and the heart maintained the connection. Theoretically, one could enter this forest and exit within any other. Yet there were magic that prevented that, Shias could feel that there were pillars of power extending from the forest edge almost all the way to the clearing in which he was, containing the heart so that the heart could only bring things in, but not send them away.

PM, now with something here: TREES, DAMMIT!

Dest Eterna was waiting outside the Tower walls. He had some deals to do and the tower was too crowded and too magical. As silly as it sounded, the common hatred of having to deal with magic that was so widespread among the common populations was just as usual among mages, though they made exceptions for their own spells. Usually.

Head North with Raptors. Craft 3 more essences.

Bob decided that debates within the tower were getting a bit too heated and left. He went north, walked around the lake by its eastern shore to avoid other mages, and almost reached the shore opposite from where the tower stood. It seemed somewhat darker now. It was probably just an optical illusion of some sort, but one never knew, with so many talented casters in one place, almost anything could happen.

i use the 4 essences that I just created to remove the absence of a bad ass enchanted cloak of absences and pray to Isis to confirm that I am still in good favour
((I hope I don't get in trouble for not trying to save marcus))

Nihilum searched one of his sleeves as if he was a street magician about to perform a trick. And just like a street magician, he pulled out a cloak that had no possible way of actually fitting within the sleeve, even a wizardly one. But that was not even remotely the strangest thing about the debacle. The whole cloak seemed rather patchwork; in fact, it looked as if someone had added patches to cover tears until none of original material remained. But this was just an illusion created by many varieties of absence within the cloak. Many changes in color were caused by lack of ability to reflect a particular wavelength. In few places, material was absent, and the gap was mended by semi-solid color alone. Parts of the cloak lacked mass, making the whole rather light, and causing the cloak to billow dramatically even as the slightest air currents moved past. Parts of the cloak lacked friction, flowing like silk, others lacked softness, feeling as sandpaper to touch. Nihilum put on the cloak and prayed to Isis. He was not immediately smitten, which was always a good sign that god still likes you, but no sign appeared either.

Skelliborn
Action:
create up to 4 essences until 1 collapses
If the Gambler starts running run in the same direction.

Skeliborn thought to himself if there was anyone else he would absolutely want to have in his party on the quest to destroy an eldritch portal. He had good luck and a healer, two things that make any dangerous task a thousand times less so, but should he get anyone else? Gambler sat on his chair, watched it dispense something then stood up again and walked as far away as he could without actually leaving the council chamber. Well, he was not leaving just yet, so Skeliborn had some time still to think this all over.

Return to the council chamber. Try to create three explosion essences.

Crimson returned to the council chambers. They were almost as they were before Dwen flooded them with acid. Only last remaining mark of the event was that three of four windows were still blocked off by solid acid. Jiksap had broken through the block on the fourth and was looking upwards. Crimson maneuvered towards his chair, careful to avoid a puddle of what looked like suspiciously like quicksilver and sat down. Things seemed to have calmed down for now.

2 essences.
Examine the skeleton and search the surrounding area.

Xom looked over the skeleton. Wherever few scraps of cloth that still remained over the bones did little to cover them up; the bones were bleached white by the sun. A small snake had taken up residence in the skull. But there was something of interest that managed to survive. A piece of enchanted parchment with elaborate coded writing upon it. Xom pocketed the parchment and stood up, interest in remains exhausted. Suddenly, sand shifted under Xoms feet, as it all seemed to flow towards a newly formed pit. There were a severely unsympathetic looking pair of mandibles, large enough to pierce a man from side to side in the depths of the pit, and Xom was already halfway to them.

If the castle looks safe (IE, I see people leaving intact, and sense no imminent outpouring of destructive magic), duck in. Otherwise, just use the +2+1 and +1+1 chaotic essences for my spell. I'm feeling a little reckless right now.

Either way, use both of my affinities to recapture and modify whatever's left of the spell I cast last turn. Instead of drawing upon an external power source, simply have the part of the spell which would originally have enchanted the dragon bone cannibalize the part which would have taken control of Marcus' spell.

The end result of this should be an enchantment that allows me to tinker with spells in smaller, more subtle ways. Nothing big and flashy- just something which lets me change a piece of information here and there.

Viznor carefully returned to the Tower, going at a slow pace, stopping from time to time to see if anything wrong was happening. The aura circles above the tower were gone, but nothing else seemed to be happening. People were walking around unimpeded, and not even in a whole lot of hurry. Viznor entered the tower and attempted to modify his spell to save at least a part of the power. The bone in his hands began shaking as magic flooded it, changing its structure, turning a unassuming piece of refuse into a magic battery. It would be able to slowly drain magic if it was in contact with it. Using it, however, might prove more difficult.

Looking at the steel monstrosity coming closer, Kahel smiled to himself. He just had a brilliant idea how to deal with the situation on hand!

As all parts of my body are/were liquids at some point, I affect all of it, making myself constantly ethereal. All essences since I want maximum output. If spell does not need so much raw power ((Sorry, DG, couldn't consult you here)) - add option to change state (ethereal/real) at will and/or full body control (Animate).

Kahel focused his magic, bending the target, sending power into the past where all that made up his body was still in a liquid state. The magic marked the material, so that in the future, where Kahel was now casting the spell, they would gain the power to shift between corporeal and ethereal. The link was established, and Kahel felt his body shift away from material realm. The spell worked. Then Kahel felt himself shift again, this time back into material realm. Even though he gave no such command. Fearing the worst, Kahel attempted to become ethereal, and then quickly corporeal again. He succeeded without much trouble, but then shifted into incorporeality again. The spell was working, but was flawed.
{Each turn the spell has a 50% chance to turn you from ethereal to corporeal or vice versa.}

Portal in the center of the island flared up again, with two figures this time coming through.
Terram ustam Reliquerunt, one of the mountain tribes who thought that short names were for morons, and a loyal servant of The Manipulator stepped through the gate. He wielded mighty magic of the skies, the ability to rule over air, and was determined to see his task done. What that task would amount to remained to be seen.
Gloomy Wizard, an old and decrepit looking wizard stepped out. It was not unusual to see wizards turned fragile by age wielding great power, and although Gloomy looked worse than most, his might with hexes was unrivaled. By seeking for a way to get rid of his own ancient affliction Gloomy gained immense knowledge and was capable of destroying his enemies in ways history had forgotten.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Global-ish events

Aura circles above the eldritch tower have shrunk and dissapeared, making the tower apear a bit more darn and not a whole lot less foreboding.

The faces sink back into Tower walls and voices die down leaving only silence.

Skies began shining with pale blue light as meteors of translucent teal crystal apeared and began falling towards the ground. There was a total of five of them. Whatever properties they possesed, the most immedietly interesting ones were mass and velocity, both of which were great enough to warant evasive action.
{Predicted impact locations marked with teal stars}
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:00:01 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 130 Happenings all around.
« Reply #3779 on: November 19, 2015, 05:56:23 pm »

Dorm internet was down for maintenance for three hours. On thursday evening of all times. Oh well. Stuff is happening though. And with return of one dead player and joining of one new player the ammount of charsheets goes over 25. Please enjoy celebratory meteor impacts.

Elephant parade, any particular reason why you did not just copy the charsheet off the first post? That "Agility" struck me as kinda odd, I changed it to speed.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 506