Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180898 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 131 Anticlimatic impacts
« Reply #3900 on: November 25, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »

i honestly like things as they are now.
((And I mostly agree with that. But in combat, it would make sense to have using more essences take up time and leave the user vulnerable to attack. Other than that, I don't want any changes to the essences system.))
((-1SPD per essence used?))
((Huh. Sure. If you spend lots of time casting a large spell in combat, you're going to cast it later. Note that -1 DEX per two essences might also be a good idea along with this.))
I like it.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:54 am »

I guess my opinion about essence nerf is mixed.

If we end up keeping essences, then they should not store competence. Storing power is perfectly reasonable, we do that with electrical power and such IRL, but competence comes from within. It doesn't make much sense to save it in any form. While I want to pretend being a competent mage, as a RTD the game should have bigger chance for failure.

But I also want to see rituals, but those rituals need to build power quickly because, as someone else already said it, spending two weeks saying "keep the ritual going" gets old really fast. But then again saying "Make 3 essences" gets old about equally fast. It is tricky question of balance.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: November 26, 2015, 04:06:52 am »

((How does this work?  Rituals are 1 turn but you can't move or dodge, rituals use thematic items and the rarer an item is the more bonuses it provides,  Essences are capped at 5 and are for use in magical combat, or removed entirely in favor of shards.))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:17 am »

((How does this work?  Rituals are 1 turn but you can't move or dodge, rituals use thematic items and the rarer an item is the more bonuses it provides,  Essences are capped at 5 and are for use in magical combat, or removed entirely in favor of shards.))

((If we delete essences in favor of shards then we. Will need shards to become more easy to get to balance out the loss of quick cheap magic which means that we will need to change the win conditions to having many more shards. Basically removing essences would mess up the magic system of the game. Lastly when I had supported rituals I thought it would be an add on to the essence system, not a replacement))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: November 26, 2015, 09:28:49 am »

((Basically removing essences would mess up the magic system of the game.))

((This. If we change essences too much or remove them, we're going to have to make some secondary changes also.))
((A simple dodge penalty/speed penalty from using essences works a lot better than replacing the system or restricting the essence cap.))
((And besides... if Essences were capped at five... I suppose I'd need bigger essences. Which leads to some plans of mine... but in any case... some sort of ritual system for multi-turn constructions, fueled by essences and rare reagents, would be fine and perhaps good, but removing or overly modifying essences to make the ritual system more dominant is not desirable.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: November 26, 2015, 10:52:30 am »

((Basically removing essences would mess up the magic system of the game.))

((This. If we change essences too much or remove them, we're going to have to make some secondary changes also.))
((A simple dodge penalty/speed penalty from using essences works a lot better than replacing the system or restricting the essence cap.))
((And besides... if Essences were capped at five... I suppose I'd need bigger essences. Which leads to some plans of mine... but in any case... some sort of ritual system for multi-turn constructions, fueled by essences and rare reagents, would be fine and perhaps good, but removing or overly modifying essences to make the ritual system more dominant is not desirable.))
((I agree with this statement. A combat debuff encourages quick, clever casting rather than instadeath spells, and a ritual system would help the creation of larger, more powerful spells through the sacrifice of items you may or may not have created just for that sole purpose. Demon idols are all the rage right now!

The only thing I'm not quite sure about is whether essences should get a nerf outside of battle as well, to encourage rituals more. An essence cap would work to this end, but would force players to attempt a ritual to do anything larger at all.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: November 26, 2015, 03:48:41 pm »

Turn 132

Go to the southern shore of shipwreck lake, and look for loot (namely, the trident spear and any adamantine bits which look useful).

Then go north. Three knowledge essences whenever I can get around to them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Viznor watched as meteors crashed into dirt a fair distance from him. As nothing terrible immediately followed, he decided that if anything dangerous crawls out of craters, he'll be able to at least see it coming. There was loot to be had. A short trip to the lakeshore later, Viznor found himself looking at gargantuan adamantine parts for a machine of some sort. Whatever the intended purpose of this was, Viznor called little, but the adamantine had value in of itself. A while later, Viznor was breathing heavily, with little to show for his effort. The pieces were too large and heavy to be of any use and dismantling them would take either some sudden insight or a whole lot more effort.

Cuberac attempts to summon a large cluster of mobile sharp cubes, using all essences.

Cuberac knew that there were mages out there whom would wish him harm just for being here. The ruins were an obvious proof of that. If he wanted a weapon, a weapon that would be able to aid him, none of those scattered in the armory would be of any use to him. Cuberac called forth a swarm of cubes, each smaller than a die, each armed with twelve sharp edges. Unfortunately for him, all the summoned dice were made from flint, which made them rather brittle and only mildly sharp.

"This can't be right- oh. This is going to be a pain."

Old King Coal takes a fighting stance with his shovel and claws, standing against the wall as so not to be attacked from behind, and prepares to fight an invisible enemy. If no attack comes, he makes 3 bone essences.

Looking at all the bones scattered around King suddenly realized how exposed he was from all sides. Quickly he moved towards a nearby wall and properly looked over the room once more. The bones would serve at least one purpose; it would be very hard to move around without causing at least some sound. Old King stood quietly, waiting, until unconsciously he even stopped breathing, so focused he was on hearing his opponent move. Suddenly, he heard some sort of scratching from somewhere. Quickly he looked the skeletons, seeking to find the source of movements. As bones lay still, a dreadful idea occurred to Old King. With dread, he looked upwards towards the ceiling, the dark and stalactite covered ceiling where so many creatures or even human assassins could be hiding. The scratching became audible enough to entirely cover up the panicked beating of Old Kings' heart, yet he saw nothing. Just as King was about to lash out blindly, unable to handle further paranoia, wall behind him blew open, sending Old King flying across the cavern. Several pieces of rock pierced Kings back, but that was one of his lesser problems at the moment. A fearsome human and insect hybrid stood in a hole where solid wall was moments ago. It stood on thick legs, with long, claw adorned hands reaching almost all the way to the ground. Its face was composed of a pair of hate filled eyes and massive mandibles that seemed like they would be able to bite off limbs without any trouble.

Walk cautiously towards the impact zone in the salt field,my velociraptors walking ahead of me
Make 3 essences

Seva sent his raptors ahead in case any traps were around, and moved forth towards thee impact side. Transition over to the salt fields went smoothly, as Sevas' shoes and his raptors tough skin stopped glass from causing any damage. Soon, Seva was overlooking a small crater from which peaked a teal tinted transparent crystal. Seva could feel magic radiating from the crystal; this was definitely something he'd be able to use. Yet as Seva sat down to meditate for a minute or two while he decided on a course of action, He felt an essence collapse in his hands. Magic that colored the essence imprinted itself onto the crystal, and soon it was covered by cracks. Before Seva's eyes, the crystal unfolded itself into a shape of a bird.

Kahel smiled to Xazoliomuhr:
"Well, while here it might be a second one, I'm sure you disposed of him perfectly. So, nothing to worry about."

And then turned to Dest Eterna, who walked beside him:
"Good to see another mage tired from too many wizards per square meter. I assume you're here for meteor, just as myself? If so - I'm perfectly fine to share our discovery - or fight against it back to back. Metaphorically speaking. But please, do ignore corpses laying beside it. I still have to collect my reward from one of them..."

Take shards from Jonas before exploring meteor crash. 3 temperature essences if possible.

{Actually, if you look back, I never added extra +1POT to essence rolls. That is because essences kinda don't count as spells in all ways except for consecutive casting penalties. Out of game reason, it is so that you could not create a loop of crafting +CMP/POT items to get better essences to craft stronger items.}

Kahel looked over where he had left Jonas, but all he found was a pile of ash. Someone had killed him and nicked the shards while they were at it. But Jonas was not the main purpose of Kahels trip, and so he moved on towards the crash site. There, in a small crater, within a tiny crater, laid a transparent, yet teal tinted crystal in a small circle of lava which was pouring from a nearby pool.

Dest Eterna looks at Kahel.
"I'm going away because some mages are trying to gather other mages to mass-slaughter and the killing mage gets lots of shards."

"Now i couldn't tell if a mage is trying to split us into separate places or gather us into a single place. Might even in between that."

Head towards the volcano. 3 Electric essences.

Dest Eterna separated from Kahel as the latter rushed off. Eterna, however, was having some minor trouble with the lava fields. They were rather dangerous, random lava pools were only part of a problem. There were also gas vents that spewed scalding poisonous volcanic gasses. There were good old pits that offered some fine tripping and leg breaking opportunities. Traveling pace stopped to a crawl as Dest Eterna made certain to avoid all the mentioned hazards. It was rather worrying to him, that the volcano itself would have all of those in greater quantities.

And now for my action:

The meteor plopping into the water like that disappointed Jiksap. The waves - which were, upon closer examination, tainted with blood - were rather large but settled quickly. Any further research about the meteor might have to be done underwater. At this moment, Jiksap remembered some good plans from a while ago...

Channel another spell into the backpack. Then 3 essences. Look around the shore for anything interesting, but look back at where the meteor landed every once in a while.

Jiksap continued looking over continuously subsiding waves and attempted to feed his backpack another spell. To his great surprise, the spell coursed through the backpack moving and reconnecting bits and pieces. The backpack was cooling down after absorbing a spell from recently. Someone had attempted to kill him. Yet the danger was not over, as one of his essences collapsed. Almost immediately, the miniature fusion reactor Jiksap was carrying around began beeping warning signals. It was overheating and rapidly becoming unstable. Immediately, Jiksap threw the generator towards the lake and dived to the opposite side. The generator did not fly all the way to the lake; in fact, it was not even really close. It fell into the mud, finished overheating, and with one last warning beep, exploded into blast of shrapnel. Jiksap was far enough to be safe from the blast, but now he'd be one reactor short.

Skelliborn
Action: Enchant Vortex Bane so that it instantly gives the user the experience, speed, and reflexes of someone who has had 10,000 years of experience fighting with Vortex Bane.
Mod -1 specific
((Its like the Avatar for blades))
Well, this looks interesting.
Head for the nearest meteor. If it contains treasure: loot it.
If it contains Sun-Goku, pray to him.
If it contains creatures that are trying to kill you, kill em.
If it contains superman, help him out.
If it contains another Marcus, kill him.
If it contains npcs or gods, talk to them.
If its a trap, curse Admiral Ackbar silently and kill the trap.
I think that covers everything.

Make a pair of essences. Make sure to keep up with the others.

Party speed = 3.5

Skeliborn and Gambler continued on their way, but decided to check out the impact site as it was on the way. Skeliborn enchanted his blade on the way to grant aditional skill to the user, possibly to avoid any unexpected cuts using a blade with a ring for a hilt. Two mages made quick time, and soon a large transparent teal tinted crystal was before them, sitting in a small crater. It radiated magic, but it was a clear magic, unbound to any particular affinity. Immediately, Skeliborn jumped the crystal and began gathering pieces of it. Nothing immediately terrible happened and soon Crimson landed nearby.

Keep moving towards my destination. Create two force essences on the way. Observe from the sky for anything dangerous.

Crimson flew after Gambler and Skeliborn, waiting until the two reached the crash site. There was a teal crystal within the crater, and Skeliborn immediately moved to pillage it. Gambler waited some distance away, possibly too having the idea of allowing Skeliborn to see if the crystal was dangerous first. As nothing strange or dangerous looking happened, Crimson landed no too far from the pair of mages.

After I put on the glasses I go and catch up with skelliborn and the gambler and on the way try to pull something nice out of my hat for them

As Nihilum was finding out, walking around a solid aether castle with aether detecting glasses on was not the best of ideas. It made everything seem as if it was the greatest of fogs ever seen, Nihilum could not see his hand in front of his face. None of this, of course, deterred him or made him reconsider his way in the slightest. After much bumbling and a bit of walking into walls, Nihilum finally managed to get out of the castle. To his great disappointment, his fellow adventurers were nobody to be seen, but that was okay.  He knew where they were going and would be able to catch up. While going, Nihilum attempted to pull nothing in particular out of his hat, sadly his hand failed to grasp anything no matter how he tried. It was not that sort of hat, which kinda made sense as most of those kind of hats were cylinders and this one was pointy one.

"Alright. Thought I'd ask since I'll be gone for a while. You take care!"

Summon a pair of walkie-talkies and give one to Grundar. Use a +1/+1 essence.
"I'm leaving on an expedition soon. There's a portal to the southwest that they're investigating and the group needs a healer. Grundar, I want you to stay here and guard the shop, maybe search the lakeshores for any interesting artifacts. Keep in touch and call me if anything happens."
Make 2 essences as I prepare to leave.
Does the armguard increase strength like I wanted it to? If not then modify it to do that.
Also get the puzzlebox full of gems from the junk box. I really don't know why that was in there.

{Fixed the shards, armguard does increase strength by 1}

James conjured a pair of sturdy looking walkie talkies and left one to Grundar. It took a while for the troll to get used to the small buttons, but he managed. This also tested the durability of the walkie talkies, and they proved to be capable of withstanding being poked by a troll’s claw. While Grundar fiddled with turnable knobs, James recovered a box of gemstones from his storage box and moved it to his dimensional pocket. Convenient spell that one was, probably the reason why anyone who could not cast it was not considered to be a serious mage.

make adjustments to the core so it can magically hear vocal commands and then prosses them.

Flare picked up the core and began reshaping it. There was so much wrong with it now that he looked more intensely at it. It could not hear orders, and it had almost no thought of its own making it especially stupid. There was so much to rework, and when Flare finished, he noted that rewriting all that was left from original would take barely any time at all; there were only two runes left from the original spell. Flare released the ball and allowed it to fall. It stopped midair and the semi-liquid metal rose upward and began spinning around the core in a set of three rings.

Craft three essences. Stand next to Jiksap.
(You get a doubleturn as your previous one was replaced by a question you did not answer and thus it was never made into a turn.}

Bob decided that there was no point in going any further in this particular way. There was nothing but grass and the edge of the island there. Now Jiksap, he would have something interesting going on. But where would he be? Bob returned to the castle, yet his friend was already gone somewhere. But he left enough scent for a predator scent to track, and Bob soon followed after his raptors, going almost as hunting hounds. Soon, Jiksap was in sight, overlooking a meteor falling into the lake. It was quite a sight, with waves reaching out over twenty meters away from the shore.

Let loose an experimental spell, the nature of which has been pm'ed.
On the unfortunate event of failure, run. Preferably away from the voracious sand-dweller and its pit of doom.

Xom panicked. This was without a doubt, one of the nastiest situations he was in and he did not appreciate that one bit, nor did he want to actually have to deal with this. So he focused his power and blasted the hidden creature with raw power hoping for the best. The results were rather spectacular. Whatever the creature was, it exploded violently, throwing Xom and numerous giblets of flesh and chitin into the air. Xom fell painfully into the sand, which somehow despite being annoyingly mobile when walked on suddenly turned brick hard, slowly turned over on his back, and checked himself for any missing limbs. To his great relief, all of his parts were still attached, and he was not even bleeding, not in any serious amounts anyway.

"You, Gog, will obey my commands for as long as I desire, your first job will be to fireball an unwilling Mage so I can grab his shards, do we have an understanding?"

Attack the oncoming Mage (Gloomy) the Gog will fireball him and I will blast him with demon fire, then loot his shards.
Quote from: Elephant Parade
Stuff

Blake and his new pet gog waited just around a castle corner, waiting for Gloomy to unsuspectingly move around and into sight. Just as the cursed mage did, gog threw a fireball in his general direction and confusion in Gloomy’s mind lasted just long enough for the fireball to reach him and slam right in his chest. As hexmancer fell screaming in pain and burning, Blake rushed him and conjured a burst of hellfire adding to the burns that Gloomy was now suffering. As his magic finally died out, Gloomy was burning rather seriously, enough to make one wonder how he was still alive, yet such was hellfire, all torture and no damage.
{Gloomy wizard, burning (2 turns to death)}

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: November 26, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

[1][2][1][1]

Excuse me, Gloomy's curse was supposed to be fragility, not terrible luck.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: November 26, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »

((That's RTD for you.))

"Well, serves me right... agh..."

Old King Coal reeled from the blow, but took a fighting stance and entered combat. He had not enough essences for a dependable attack spell and retreat would mean losing out on loot.

Old King Coal equips his sturdy glowing bone claws, wields his shovel with both hands, and goes after the insect man thing's head.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: November 26, 2015, 04:40:37 pm »

[1][2][1][1]

Excuse me, Gloomy's curse was supposed to be fragility, not terrible luck.
((I felt bad as I saw the rolls.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: November 26, 2015, 04:50:44 pm »

I hope you enjoy your ill-gotten gains, fillipk, because you won't be enjoying them for long!

Spoiler: WIP future character (click to show/hide)

no, not really

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: November 26, 2015, 04:58:21 pm »

I hope you enjoy your ill-gotten gains, fillipk, because you won't be enjoying them for long!

Spoiler: WIP future character (click to show/hide)

no, not really
While this character is technically not against the rules until you actualy go and hunt down Blake, you are not dead yet. More miraculous things than you surviving have happened in this game.

They really have. Search for Falcon Punch.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: November 26, 2015, 05:25:18 pm »

((Uh DG. Several things.
1. In the turn you said that I had gathered crystal shards from the meteor. Those have not appeared in my inventory in the char-sheet.
2. If the blade gives me a full point on both dex and strength then I will have a total of 4 strength which would give me an additional point on dexterity while I'm holding the sword.))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: November 26, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »

((Uh DG. Several things.
1. In the turn you said that I had gathered crystal shards from the meteor. Those have not appeared in my inventory in the char-sheet.
2. If the blade gives me a full point on both dex and strength then I will have a total of 4 strength which would give me an additional point on dexterity while I'm holding the sword.))
((1. Probably sould had writen in something, but you were there for only a few seconds yet and there arr two mages nearby who might want you to share.
2. That would be END not DEX and only in combat.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:29 pm »

Start heading north, to the meteor. On the way, try using another spell to figure out what it is (please PM me the info, as per usual), and make three binding essences.

Should I encounter anything on the way, remember my ring of +1 luck.

If I reach the meteor, begin looting.

((I'm pretty sure I'm missing the essences I made this turn on the character sheet. Also, I doubt it would change much of anything, but you missed my ring of +1 luck during the search for loot.))
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:27:09 am by Whisperling »
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 506