Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1177819 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 132 devilbait curse and secret assassins
« Reply #3945 on: November 29, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »

PM
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:21 pm »

Search the area for any shards the beast might have left behind.
Spend some time resting amidst the gore, creating 2 essences, and attempt to figure out the significance of the encoded parchment.
Following this, proceed to the next oasis.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: November 29, 2015, 03:43:47 pm »

((The poll votes have gotten ridiculous. Clearly we have incredibly varying opinions on the matter.))
((This poll has gotten absurd. I wonder which option will have the most votes next?))

((The first and the last posts in the page. Something may indeed be happening. *looks* Oh, now those are some interesting results. That is 7-13 for nerfing essences in some way. But the votes to nerf are split between harshest and lightest nerfs. Should I just remake the pool with only those two options allowed?)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »

((The poll votes have gotten ridiculous. Clearly we have incredibly varying opinions on the matter.))
((This poll has gotten absurd. I wonder which option will have the most votes next?))

((The first and the last posts in the page. Something may indeed be happening. *looks* Oh, now those are some interesting results. That is 7-13 for nerfing essences in some way. But the votes to nerf are split between harshest and lightest nerfs. Should I just remake the pool with only those two options allowed?)

((Sounds good.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: November 29, 2015, 04:00:30 pm »

"Essences give SPD/DEX penalties" might not be enough on its own—if you can survive for even one turn, you can still cast your +10/+10 deathspell.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: November 29, 2015, 04:22:34 pm »

"Essences give SPD/DEX penalties" might not be enough on its own—if you can survive for even one turn, you can still cast your +10/+10 deathspell.
The key word is "survive". If the other guy casts a +5/+5 debuffspell, he goes first and could interrupt the casting of your spell, and has more essences left over. Causing DEX penalties also nerfs sniping someone from acorss the map. I think it's a fair nerf.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure things were done.
I risk sounding a bit favoritist here, but you were around from turn one and it was pretty rare for you to not write a turn. Most evryone else are somewhat more fuzzy in my memory.
((And yet Jase still doesn't have any accomplishments on Sarrak's list. I could have sworn he already made the salt fields and Cthulhu grass by Turn 46.  :P))
((Thanks for reminding me about this. Laughed and completely forgot to actually add it.
"Jase decided that going in a portal is too mainstream and pulled out a landscape through it instead" describes your character and the beginning part of the game neatly. Nowadays, mages became much more mundane... Damn, they even use stairs! (See Whaz and the wall scaling episode for reference).))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: November 29, 2015, 05:48:30 pm »

The key word is "survive". If the other guy casts a +5/+5 debuffspell, he goes first and could interrupt the casting of your spell, and has more essences left over. Causing DEX penalties also nerfs sniping someone from acorss the map. I think it's a fair nerf.
((That's assuming that the other player has five essences. If they don't, they likely won't have a way to interrupt the casting in one turn, and we're right back where we started.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 131 Anticlimatic impacts
« Reply #3953 on: November 29, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »

Turn 133

"Well, serves me right... agh..."

Old King Coal reeled from the blow, but took a fighting stance and entered combat. He had not enough essences for a dependable attack spell and retreat would mean losing out on loot.

Old King Coal equips his sturdy glowing bone claws, wields his shovel with both hands, and goes after the insect man thing's head.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Old King quickly recovered, and charged at the creature. The size difference was obvious, and natural weapons the creature possessed certainly seemed menacing. It most likely did not have any actual enemies within the complex, such an outrageous attack had a good chance to confuse the darned thing. Bugman, however, proved all of this to be wrong, by swiftly sidestepping the charge and striking Old king again as he was barreling past it. Steel hard claw struck King on the back, adding to his speed and throwing him off balance, throwing him on the ground once more. Yet the force of the blow was mitigated by Kings speed, allowing him to avoid anything worse than a bruise, returning two combatants back to square one.

Start heading north, to the meteor. On the way, try using another spell to figure out what it is (please PM me the info, as per usual), and make three binding essences.

Should I encounter anything on the way, remember my ring of +1 luck.

If I reach the meteor, begin looting.

Viznor practically ran the entire way towards the fallen meteor, clearing the distance in one go. Along the way, he found what he could about teal crystal that was now before him. The answer was clear enough, and Viznor packed the crystal up. It was not a very large one, and he counted a total of seven pieces large enough to be useful.

"Take care"
Travel south-west to catch up to the expedition.
While traveling see if I can modify the armguard to have a helicopter blade extending from the shoulder. Flight is a very good ability to have, especially when you want to travel fast.
Then forge 3 healing essences of course.

Does the armguard give +1 to strength stat, or +1 to strength rolls? Ideally the second.

{+1 to STR, not rolls.}James left Grundar to guard the shop and goods within, and ventured forth towards the team that was forming to deal with eldritch portal. But before he set out, he decided to see if his omnicube had some flight functions built in. There were some, or so it seemed, as a propeller extended from the shoulder upwards and began spinning wildly. Yet no matter how much James wanted it to, the propeller was just too small to lift him. It was probably intended to decrease falling speed or something along those lines, and there was simply not enough glass to form a larger one. Disappointed and having wasted quite a bit of time, James went off towards the forming team.

"Interesting. I expected something entirely different..."

Kahel stroked his chin in thought. There were some prospects in harvesting this power. Or taking it for future studies... The main problem was that he became increasingly bored with relaxed lifestyle he lived here. And boredom was not something he'd accept for long...

Cast cooling on the crystal and take it with me to study later. Head back to the lands north of Tower in search of mages to kill, leaving Eterna in peace for now. Some sort of hill is preferable, so that I may oversee the lay of land. 3 essences, so that I may prepare for battle.

Kahel looked over the shards. They did not seem to react to heat in any way, but they were undoubtedly quite hot from all the lava around them. Too hot to touch, but that was easy to fix. Kahel called up a spell to cool down the shards, yet the felling that was now becoming annoyingly familiar washed over Kahel. Entire area around him froze, including the magma pools. The sudden change of temperature caused rocks to shatter, sending pieces flying everywhichway. And Kahel was at the center of all those explosions. There was no real way to dodge them all, but Kahel managed to weather the hail of rock. The pieces turned out to be moving far slower than they seemed, and their impacts were entirely absorbed by Kahel's clothes. Yet what interested Kahel the most was that the crystals went from translucent teal to opaque blue in color. Kahel collected them either way, and rushed back towards the tower. It was a fun distraction, but he had murders that needed doing.

"Gog, finish him."

The Gog will finish him, and I will loot him.
Stuff

Gloomy tried to get up. If he could make use of Blake's arrogance he might still be able do something. But the pain was too great and trying to move only made it worse. Once more Gog fried Gloomy with its fire, and this time, at point blank range, the fire quickly consumed the unfortunate wizard, leaving only ash. Blake came over and fished out ten soul shards from still warm pile of dust. One down several more to go.

Grab some of the crystals as well & study what they are/do. Can its magic be harvested for easier casting?
Grab the big crystal. If it's too big to grab, summon an unbreakable glass chisel, and hit it parallel to a surface. This should split it cleanly into a more usable size. If this works, give the other mages chunks as well.
Make essences - one if a chisel was summoned, two if it was not.

Skelliborn
Action:
Grab a few of the crystal shards for later use and help The Gambler get the big shard that he is eyeing. Between the two of us get all the crystal. If the other party members show up, share some of the crystal shards.

In order to make my crystal more carriable, combine /magic the crystals into a crystal blade.

Gambler and Skeliborn split the meteor shards more or less equally, with the larger part going to Skeliborn and the large crystal going to Gambler. The shards pulsed with magic, they could probably be used to boost a spell of any type. It shouldn't be too hard to transfer their power into essence form for easy transport, although there was a chance that the shards could also be used as some alchemical ingredient. Skeliborn was fiddling with his own share, casting a spell to bind them into a particular form. His six shards floated in the air in a rough outline of a blade, then they merged and extended, forming a rough blade shape. But the spell could not go on any more, and the blade broke in half as magic binding it failed. A pair of medium sized shards lay at Skeliborns feet.

Cuberac takes a glace at these cubes, and sighs. They'd have to do, for now. He thenlooks for another room, and crafts 3 essences.

Cuberac ordered his swarm of cubes to follow, and abandoned the useless weapons in search for something else. And soon, he found it. A particularly sturdy looking door, with several signs of enchantments on it stood in a very durable looking wall. Very durable, however, was not enough this time. A good part of the wall had collapsed as whatever seemed to had ruined the castle struck it straight on, leaving a large hole with debris scattered far to the sides. Inside, there was a treasury, filled not with gold but rather magical items. Most of them were fakes, possibly to confuse thieves, but a wizard had little problem recognizing which things had been charged with magic and which had not. There were two items of value. One of them was a large dagger, sharp and well made, another was a small black pyramid.

"Hm...."
Go one hex east. 4 electric essences.

Dest Eterna continued his slow approach. In the distance he saw a field of relatively calm looking ground. It had far no lava pools, although gas vents were just as active. It also had several large boulders just lying around, and few corpses among the boulders. Eterna turned right and began walking around the field.

((Who's the pink mage in the forest, a bit north of me?
Edit: Seems to be BlitzDungeoneer.))

Go to north where Alexander seems to be. Play essence roulette.

Shias was in the process of rethinking his great idea, as it suddenly began looking a whole lot less great. The intruder into the forest was here somewhere, but druid was having other problems. Focusing power until it bursts seemed like it would be unable to cause too much damage, being armored as he was, yet magic cares not for armor. Although the armor bit was not entirely true. Sometimes it's worse for the wearers. As essence collapsed, Shias felt change in his Juggernaut form, but confusion was replaced by pain as many roots began drilling into his flesh, binding armor ever closer to him. Nothing vital was pierced, and the roots were not even all that deep, but taking the armor off would not be pretty.

I continue on and make 4 essences then look around as I walk to see if I notice anything interesting with my glasses (like a magical aura)

Outside of the Tower it was much easier to go around with aether vision. It was actually possible to see things, rather than uniform purple all around. Air had slightly less aether than the ground, and living things had more aether than nonliving. Wizards were greatest concentrations of them all. But as Nihilum looked over crystal shards that Skeliborn and Gambler had collected, he saw that they had no aether at all. It just somehow went around them, as if it was some distortion of space rather than an object.

lets see now......

"shape into humanoid form. with a blade for your right arm."

Flare ordered his golem to reshape itself as a test. Slowly, the liquid metal began moving differently around the core, changing distance from it. Two thin limbs formed, one bearing a blade. Core rose to the top of the figure, acting as a head. However, even though the golem was merely four feet tall, the limbs still looked too thin to support it. There was not all that much metal floating around the core, and it was clearly not enough to create a proper sized humanoid figure.

Determine if the crystal be ready is obedient to me and/or intelligent
If the first is true, walk towards the castle with all of my birds
Otherwise, try not to anger it,attempt to talk to it if it is intelligent

Seva carefully approached the shard-bird. It seemed rather happy to see Seva. It even flew up and landed on Seva's shoulder as some of trained birds did. The bird was rather heavy, but it merely rubbed its head against Seva and flew up and began playing with the parrots that were flying around. It would seem that he had acquired yet another pet.

Rather than the typical disappointment one would feel at the loss of a cold fusion reactor, Jiksap was intrigued. It was a cold fusion reactor, not a hot one; why, then, would it explode in a very hot manner? He was immediately filled with the desire to find out.

Examine the wreckage, if any, of the fusion reactor. If there are no remains, examine the residual energy of the explosion (if necessary, summon a scanner to assist with this). If anything of interest is found, meditate on it. If not, search around some more. A beast of such magnitude must have been killed by something of equal greatness - and those are often machines. Even broken or shattered into fragments, such a thing could be useful...

Oh, and, uh, the normal three essences routine (two if I summoned a scanner).

Jiksap carefully investigated the explosion remains. The reactor was completely ruined, but some fuel cells still remained. The reactor probably broke at the collection unit, this kind of things could not really be turned off, so the energy just collected until it had nowhere else to go. The reinforced fuel cells managed to survive the explosion, however, and were still entirely useful. Jiksap then went on to meditate on what to do with them and gather some power, but was soon interrupted as one of his essences collapsed. The magic was attracted to something within the lake, and soon, from the depths emerged an adamantine reactor core. It was devoid of both fuel and control systems, but the chassis and fusion inductors were built to last literally forever. The only problem was, the reactor core was as tall as Jiksap was.
Then, suddenly, with no warning, Bob belched out a veritable air blast, sending one of his raptors rolling. The raptor was unhurt, and Bob was somewhere between amazement and confusion.

Search the area for any shards the beast might have left behind.
Spend some time resting amidst the gore, creating 2 essences, and attempt to figure out the significance of the encoded parchment.
Following this, proceed to the next oasis.

Xom sat among the gore and thought that it was a pity that only creatures summoned by other mages could be used for creating soul shards. But that was neither here nor there. He had some decoding to do. Xom pulled out the note and got to work. A little while later, if he was correct, the note detailed how to make really great Caesar salad. Not entirely a waste, but not really what he was looking for. With a sigh, he stood up and walked over to the place where cacti fields were thicker. Thick enough to cover a decent amount, possibly even to hide something. Heck, they were too many in places to walk through.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:39:48 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 133 Unluckiest mage and celestial loot
« Reply #3954 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »

[2][1][1]

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Wow, that was a massive waste of time!

List of Gloomy's accomplishments:
  • Successfully created one essence
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:53:21 pm by Elephant Parade »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »

[2][1][1]

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Wow, that was a massive waste of time!

List of Gloomy's accomplishments:
  • Successfully created one essence
((I honestly wanted for you to get a chance, so when I first rolled initiative and got you and Gog going at once I rerolled. Reults were 6 for Gog and 2 for you.))

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »

((But I thought Alexander was dropped down a pit where he met the gremlins?))
Tch. Now what was he to do about this poison?

Perhaps... Might as well. If this was fatal, there wasn't much else to do.

Alexander crafts three essences in preparation, while looking around the pit/hole. Was there anything else around, beyond however it was the gremlins disappeared?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: November 29, 2015, 06:12:23 pm »

((But I thought Alexander was dropped down a pit where he met the gremlins?))

He was, which is why while Shias knows you are around, has no idea where exactly Alexander is.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: November 29, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »

"I wonder...."

flare points to his throne.

"assimilate that throne into your form"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:56:07 pm by endlessblaze »
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: November 29, 2015, 06:16:20 pm »

Cuberac examines both items before taking them. He also creates 3 essences.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 506