Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181981 times)

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4140 on: December 19, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »

I think this is taking too long. It's annoying seeing the game put on hold for this. Should we keep arguing, or leave the game as it is? I just want things to move forward for a change.

Also, even though there is all this talk of sniping across hexes, nobody's actually done it yet.
Things are on hold until xmas wether or not you argue. It's just that I have several deadlines thet converge before winter break, and I kinda want not to fail.
Oh. That's understandable. Winter break has already started for me, so I didn't know. Still, I don't want the game delayed any longer than necessary (past when you're ready to).

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: December 21, 2015, 02:58:47 am »

Also, even though there is all this talk of sniping across hexes, nobody's actually done it yet.
be my test subject please
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: December 21, 2015, 10:52:48 am »

If essences aren't removed, I will change that; maybe not with this character, but certainly with my next.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: December 21, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »

If essences aren't removed, I will change that; maybe not with this character, but certainly with my next.

((Its still will be possible to snipe people form across the board if essences are removed, it will just take a bit more preparation))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: December 21, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »

((Its still will be possible to snipe people form across the board if essences are removed, it will just take a bit more preparation))
By "a bit more preparation", you mean "several turns of casting, during which the player likely will have moved away," right? That's pretty different from always-available death magic.

Anyway, even if cross-hex deathspells can't be entirely removed, better for them to be hard than easy, right?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:57:18 pm by Elephant Parade »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: December 21, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »

By "a bit more preparation", you mean "several turns of casting, during which the player likely will have moved away," right? That's pretty different from always-available death magic.
((By my curent uderstanding of how rituals would work, ritual could be aimed at a person and not a place, menaing they can't just walk away, and several turns of previous casting are kinda required for essence snipes too. Secrecy can be maintained through PM's as to what the ritual will do. The only diference I see would be that caster(s) would need to stand still for that time, and (only if my sugested method is used) require ingredients.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: December 21, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »

With essences you spend a while preparing, then you can cast whatever big spells you want whenever you want.

Rituals you spend a while preparing then you can cast a certain big spell at a certain time.

That is the main difference. Second one requires much more strategy and planning ahead to use effectively. Yes you can snipe someone from across the map but not at a moments notice.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: December 21, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »

((By my curent uderstanding of how rituals would work, ritual could be aimed at a person and not a place, menaing they can't just walk away, and several turns of previous casting are kinda required for essence snipes too. Secrecy can be maintained through PM's as to what the ritual will do. The only diference I see would be that caster(s) would need to stand still for that time, and (only if my sugested method is used) require ingredients.))
((Maybe being the target of a ritual should give you some kind of vague feeling after a few turns? An itching scalp, or something. Or some sort of appropriate environmental cue, maybe; a lightning ritual could cause clouds to appear, for example.))

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: December 21, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »

((Maybe being the target of a ritual should give you some kind of vague feeling after a few turns? An itching scalp, or something. Or some sort of appropriate environmental cue, maybe; a lightning ritual could cause clouds to appear, for example.))
((About feeling, tingling is perfect for electric, nausea for both force and disease, feeling less pain for healing, etc.
Upon being turned to certain materials, the feeling is like being the material itself, like being turned into a gray stone causes you to feel gray and heavy.))
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: December 26, 2015, 12:46:00 pm »

((What about when you are targeted by a ritual you get the feeling that something is going to happen.))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: December 26, 2015, 06:40:14 pm »

Turn 135

Kahel muttered a curse while preparing a new spell. Seems like Chaos Gods still oversaw their adept. Demon was out for a moment, so it fell upon the Changer to thwart his godly counterpart plans on this reality.

Stop-freeze sorcerer in one place and finish him with cutlass charge. Use three essences (2 +1 and +1/+2) He's alive, so screw this. All essences!
"I! WAS! SLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPIIINGGGGGGGGGGG!"

SEND THIS GIT STRAIGHT TO THE BASILICA OF TORMENT!(Before he kills me) HALF OF MY ESSENCES AND A SHARD
ALSO, RUN AWAY!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kahel and Romanticarnus rushed to curse each other and Kahel proved swifter of the two. Romanticarnus froze solid, unable to move even a finger; he stood as a contender for most elaborate ice statue. Kahel calpmy walked over and swung his cutlass at the offending sorcerer. With a loud *twang*, it bounced off leaving only a small cut. It was on the neck, and would usually be considered a major wound, but it was not exactly the decapitation he expected. Suddenly, Kahel felt a bit more understanding of Ice demons' hate of the dwarf.

((Only issue I see with my turn is that my throne is electrum, not gold.))

give the golem better assimilation ability   

Flare pondered how to empower his golem. As it had liquid body it would seem that the best way would be to increase its mass. But yet again, how? Flare decided to abandon anything complicated and just pumped power into his creation. Immediately, Flare felt a pull towards his golem. The golem itself seemed to shrink, although that was just an increase in density. As Flare found out moments later, it was not that he was attracted to the golem, but his many metal items. The golem was now magnetic, although it seemed to attract all metals, not just iron.

"My, you are a worthy opponent!"

Old King Coal frowned as he considered his engagement. The creature, for all its powers, seemed simply to be playing(dangerously, anyway) with him. Hold on a minute.

"Wait a minute. You're not some sort of independent hunter. That's not your nature. You've been waiting so long for your master to return... but he's gone now. Or at least he should be gone. You are a minion. And a rather good one, at that. This was a test, methinks. And yes, I could try a new attack. I could use my powerful bone magic to destroy you. But I'm Lawful Evil, not Chaotic Evil. So I'm going to give you a choice, assuming you can understand me: Join me or die."

And with that, still on guard though, Old King Coal attempts to recruit the incredible creature.

The creature stopped to listed to King Coal, it waited as he spoke, and keen intelligence glistened in its eyes. It listened, and when King finished speaking it roared joyously(?) and beat it's chest with its mighty claws as a drum. Old king smiled and hoped that his new pet was not too playful. It would make no sense losing limbs to a friendly dive.

Hide in the tower. Create 3 essences.

Gloomier left the portal and walked off towards the eldritch tower nearby. It seemed like a happening kind of place, which meant that Gloomier was rather surprised to find the place practically empty. There was a bubble with shadowy something trapped inside in the middle of the courtyard, but beside that, it was empty. That was just as well, as Gloomier did not want to meet anyone just yet. He walked inside the tower and wandered down one of many corridors, finishing the trip in one unremarkable empty chamber with only one window to outside.

It's simple pit, right? No tunnels anywhere? In that case tear spikes off of the walls/floors/wherever they are attached to (grab few) and start digging one side of the pit to make it collapse, thus making easier path up. Or alternatively, if the pit is shallow enough then just climb up.

Look for traces who might have dug this. Ask plants around if they know anything.

Shias looked around. The pit was a bit too deep and the walls were too steep to climb out on his own (The lack of hands was coming back to bite). Upon closer inspection Shias saw that there were many tiny tunnels in the walls, but they were empty, whatever would use them were not here yet for some reason.

The plants around were quite helpful with information. Roots spoke of tiny creatures that buried around them, toiling for months to craft the pit. They collected broken branches and sharpened and placed them as a trap. Animals would occasionally fall in, die and eventually be devoured by the tiny creatures. Bones would be removed, and trap would be rebuilt. They were as ants in their ways, just larger and smarter.

((Welcome back.))

"Quickly we must head to the volcano, time is of the essence."

Continue towards the volcano make 3 demon essences.
Pmed action

Blake and Gog were about to turn around a corner of the castle, when Blake heard something strange. There were geese quacking, from somewhere westwards. Birds, usually, were nothing too strange, which confused Blake, as he thought why his well-honed instincts said it was strange. However, he trusted himself, and looked westwards, towards the hills. Then he remembered. In all the time he was here, he did not see any life larger than a bug, unless it was affiliated with other wizards. His suspicions proved correct, as a flock of geese flew over the hill and rushed him and his servant. Both managed to jump out of the way of the angry birds, but both landed on their stomach, making them waste precious seconds getting up which meant that geese were now all over them.

Continue onwards, going to the ruined castle instead. Boredom means it's a great time for essence roulette, so do that once I travel as far as I'm going to get this turn. If the fortress' auras are working properly, doing the essence roulette there would be a good plan.

Don't forget about my ring of +1 luck, or, should I happen to be in the fortress, the luck aura.

Viznor began his trip towards the ruined castle once more, leaving unknown mage behind. The mage was slightly unnerving, and Viznor took good care to make distance as quickly as he could without appearing too suspicious. Soon, he reached the tower, still upright, and with aura circles restored above it. It was a good enough place for a stop and power focusing, so good that Viznor opted to pause his trip there even though he felt that he could still continue for a while. Viznor found a quiet corner and began pulling on his power for as long as he could manage. Soon, he felt he could do it no more, and his newest essence collapsed, magic diving for his mind, but stopping midway and turning towards blue pyramid instead. On base of the pyramid, the only even wall, a picture of a book appeared. It would seem that now his choice in the matter would be limited merely to wether or not to use it.

"Nothing to see here anymore... except the orb."
Pick the orb. Go west, and a bit south(1/3 of west).

Destra took the orb from the doctor, noting that it was somewhat strange to move, as if it was full of liquid. Some identification magic later, Destra figured out why that was. The orb moved twice as fast through time, making it hit at twice the speed, although without any increase in impact. Probably something Doctor made for some reason. It mattered little to Eterna, as he left the lava fields and headed out southwest.

Expedition to the portal!
On the way form a forearm mounted crossbow on the armguard. Make it a belt fed full auto crossbow.
4 healium essences.

Oh, and check with Grundar.

James called on Grundar through his walkie-talkie and began moving towards the portal. Grundar was fine, not seeing anything particularly out of the ordinary, although when ordinary were fire flowers growing on a tree, it was only mildly comforting. Grundar seemed to be having a tiny bit of suspicion towards the flowers, and was keeping an eye on them just the same as his surroundings. Soon, James reached the edge between salt fields and fleshy grass. He decided to wait on the rest of the team, and reshaped the armguards propeller into a crossbow. Ammo could become a problem, as it was part of the structure, meaning he only had eight shots, but he’d have time to worry about that later.

((Why do I keep summoning things? I have a better way of getting items. /facepalm))
Improve the badge, using all essences. Then look around a bit for a device matching my previous description.

Gambler focused his power into golden badge of explorers. He felt the way it bent the strands of fate, and honed the bends, empowered them and forged new ones. But just as he was finishing, one of the stray pieces of thought from a chaotic essence moved and broke off one of the bends. There was a strand of fate there now that was as straight as nature intended. Gambler began pondering ways this could affect him and began pacing around. Just moments afterwards, he tripped on a stone and stumbled, losing his train of thought and noticing a jagged corner in the crater where crystal fell down. There was something metal there, or at least something sturdy. As he began digging out the converter, an old device used in times of war to turn useless magical items into power for war mages, he wondered how people unable to manipulate fate got through their lives.

Jiksap knew of diving barrels, of course, but was very disappointed to find a lack of an opening through which to breathe from. In fact, it appeared that there was no obvious way to open this container at all! Either someone lacked common sense in the purpose of a barrel-shaped hollow object, or there was more to this barrel than meets the eye.

Use machine sense on the barrel. If I can open it for the purpose of a diving barrel, dive after the meteor. Otherwise kick the stupid useless barrel around and call the creator of this entirely pointless three-dimensional mass some very bad names. Nerdy engineer bad names, of course.
Create 1 essence.

Jiksap suppressed the urge to kick the barrel into the water and see if it floats and sat down for a finer examination. Magical examination. He focused his mythical senses and flooded the barrel in front of him, hearing and decoding the echo into usable information. It seemed that the barrel was a miniature sub, or a life pod, and it opened and closed from inside. It made it mostly useless for Jiksap as a diving implement, but curiosity value kept Jiksap from just throwing the thing into the water. It did not stop Jiksap from describing the creator of said barrel as something physically impossible in loud voice for anyone to hear.

Tell my raptors to start investigating the nearby area, and to inform me if there is anything unusual, amiss, or interesting.

Craft 3 essences.

Bob looked around and sent out his raptors to scout the area. That air blast was probably wizardry, and keen senses of raptors might be able to pick up the culprit.  Duo went off with gusto and began running around the place, searching for something interesting. Anyone coming would find much harder to come close unnoticed, and they might even find something valuable. Any further thoughts were interrupted by Jiksap loudly asking someone unspecified to do something anatomically improbable.
Cuberac, content with his new relics, decides to leave the castle, and craft 3 essences on the way.

Cuberac pocketed his prizes and left the vault. As he was climbing a pile of rubble that led to a window that seemed to be the straightest way out, he heard something akin to a flock of geese. Obiviously, it couldn't be a flock of geese. Any large life here was magecraft, and why would any mage summon geese. That left some camouflage or illusion. Cuberac shrugged end left the castle. Whatever it was, he'd meet it before thinking how to deal with it.

Skelliborn:

It appears that someone got to the meteor here first. I best be moving on. Now lets see...

I ask for help from the g-d of the forge.
Hepheastus be his name.
He is the greatest smith of all
and may he have fortune and fame.

Today I beg of help from you,
because their is work I need help to do.
I pledge my loyalty to you,
and pledge my services too.

And if though doth not like my rhymes,
you need only speak
and I will oblige.

Action:
1. Pray to Hephaestus for help/guidance/protection.

if Hephaestus does not appear and doesn't give a sign that he will arrive then create 3 essences and head towards the eldritch portal thing.

if Hephaestus does appear and he tries to kill me (probably due to bad rhymes), try to appease him by giving him the teal crystal shards. If that doesn't work, run towards the eldritch portal and defend self using my previously created magic items.(Vortex Bane and the swiss army knife of protection)

if Hephaestus is friendly and appears, wait to see what he has to say and create 3 essences.

if Sun-Goku shows up instead, follow the same set of rules as stated for the appearance of Hephestus. (You never know, it might happen)

Skeliborn recited his lines with great conviction, same fire burning in his eyes as those of ferrous believers. Almost immediately, he heard an answer to his prayer. An incredibly loud whistling sound, followed by an impact in dirt where Skeliborn stood just a moment ago. When Skeliborn inspected the impact site, he found a slab of iron with words "Slam Poetry" etched into it.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 135 Happy Christmas
« Reply #4151 on: December 26, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »

Three more essences.

this is a fun mechanic (sarcastic face)

Create a curse-inflicting knife—+1/+1 essence and +1 essence. Create two essences.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:53:29 pm by Elephant Parade »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: December 26, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »

And so we are back! The turn could had come up a day earlier, but then I spent ten hours playing Heroes of the Storm with friends.

ESSENCES

Essences are limited to +5/+5 for each spell, and each essence used gives -1 to SPD, with each two giving -1 to DEX. This means that +2/+2 essences are sudenly more usefull than four +1 essences.

RITUALS

Unless someone comes up with an alternative, I'll be using this,

Huh. Makes the discussion about the Ritual system all the more relevant. And now I've begun thinking about it and thought up a new game setting.
Spoiler: IfAnyoneWantsToRun (click to show/hide)
But it is not what we are looking for here.
Chosen Item afinities have to relate to main afinity of the user in direct or symbolic way, each turn of channeling is an extra d6
Spoiler: d6 (click to show/hide)
If half or more items are out, ritual colapses. Ritual can not use more than two items per mage using the ritual.

It would take a bit of tracking and has "big spells only" writen all over it, but that seems to be what it was suposed to be. Thoughts?

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: December 26, 2015, 07:27:56 pm »

((Suddenly, 2 different spells are more potent than a single spell. And, a +3/+3 dude with a +7/+7 deathspell in his memory and +2/+3 and +3/+2 essences... . You got it.))
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:32:39 pm by H4zardZ1 »
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: December 26, 2015, 08:15:12 pm »

Head northwest. Fuse 1 POT and 1CMP essence. Create 1 essence.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 506