Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180499 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 141 The time to panic is now
« Reply #4575 on: February 07, 2016, 01:53:18 pm »

I'm trying to transform the omnicube into a coffin, or something similar to hide in. It will probably be a tight fit.

Even though being a fit doctor probably makes James apealing, I'm uncertain if he qualifies to truly become the sleeping beauty.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: February 07, 2016, 02:46:34 pm »

Even though his soul was shattered, all of Tur's shards glowed with a single emotion- joy. The Manipulator begins denying other gods access to those within the arena (and starts helping the dragon destroy the arena, if he can). He also attempts to close the portals that are unnecessary for the destruction of the arena, and informs the dragon of the time limit for its form.

I love how you guys are trying to attack or invoke your gods to try to destroy the dragon. It's so futile, it's hilarious. To keep this in perspective, CR 25 tends to be where you start fighting proper gods- not the weaklings like Imhotep, but gods that have abilities that are around the level of "always wins initiative". This thing is CR 66. It practically eats gods for breakfast. Even if you could fight it, it can stop time (Time Stop) on a whim 11 or so times per day, whenever it wants to (including during your action ((Greater) Celerity FTW), and can rewrite reality to make you never exist (it can cast Wish). It also has Spell Resistance 76 (in a d20 system), so don't even try casting a spell on it.

Here are its stats, by the way (scroll down until you reach the Prismatic Dragon entry): http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:14:33 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: February 07, 2016, 02:51:08 pm »

Action edit: drag/make James go through the ELDRITCH PORTAL in addition to self.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:07:13 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: February 07, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »

PM sent. I'm not sure why I even PM'd the action, honestly.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: February 07, 2016, 03:42:51 pm »

Null Nevermore: eat popcorn.

((Plus I maximized the thing's size.))
((Thank you, ATHATH. DnD epic monsters are going to be my go-to transformations whenever possible.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: February 07, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »

((...and it started off as such a regular turn! One minute we're watching a collection of mages fight to the death in their typical wizardly ways, and the next we're facing a potentially world-ending catastrophe on a scale that this island-in-the-void has likely never before experienced. I absolutely love the creativity that goes into the interpretation and writing of these turns; everything unravels in that flowing plot-like manner that gives the impression that we're not actually making stuff up as we go along. Of all the things I'd expected might bring about the apocalypse, the mimic's heart was something I'd never even thought to consider.))

I love how you guys are trying to attack or invoke your gods to try to destroy the dragon. It's so futile, it's hilarious. To keep this in perspective, CR 25 tends to be where you start fighting proper gods- not the weaklings like Imhotep, but gods that have abilities that are around the level of "always wins initiative". This thing is CR 66. It practically eats gods for breakfast. Even if you could fight it, it can stop time (Time Stop) on a whim 11 or so times per day, whenever it wants to (including during your action ((Greater) Celerity FTW), and can rewrite reality to make you never exist (it can cast Wish). It also has Spell Resistance 76 (in a d20 system), so don't even try casting a spell on it.

Here are its stats, by the way (scroll down until you reach the Prismatic Dragon entry): http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm.
((I'd just like to point out that we're playing Roll to Magic, not D&D. None of this is actually canon unless DG says it is.)) 

Edit:

Ilium watched the obscured skies as the threads of reality began to strain around him. This world, birthed of magic, had been a young one, and yet, like so many before it, had come to meet doom untimely. 

The world was going to die. It was time to leave.
PM.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:30:22 pm by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: February 07, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »

((... oh sure, DG has to convert its stats to our system... but that doesn't make any of its abilities any less existent.))
((What were the other things you were expecting to potentially bring about the apocalypse?))
((Interesting facts from the F.E.C.E.S quick topic:))
((Originally, I was planning to become a beholder. Then an ancient black dragon(still a major pain to deal with, but not so world-ending). Then ATHATH was like, "dude. That is like, underpowered. Be more powerful." And I was like... "KILL EVERYBODY PRISMATIC DRAGON FORM MAX SIZE ULTIMATE GO!". Paraphrasing, note.))
((I overdid it slightly.))
((Of course, the mimic's heart... the whole "any creature" thing was just so easy to exploit...))
((So. Yes. Summary of this turn: *static*.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: February 07, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »

"Well, looks like this is it. Save yourselves. I'm staying right here, spent too long on this island to leave it like that."
James says a prayer to the Duck, asking it to wake up and defend itself and its inhabitants. He shouts this prayer with as loud as he can, through his enchanted megaphone, and using his dragonbreath power. Not just to make the Duck hear, but to make all the other Duck Island's inhabitants hear in the hope they join in. Use all my shards for the prayer.

Then James transforms his cube into a coffin and gets in. It requires an opposed luck roll to destroy, no matter the strength of the attack, remember?

He makes a call to his loyal follower Grundar.
"Grundar! Save yourself, leave through the nearest portal. But before you do, I want you to get some seeds from the Tree, and a branch too. If I don't make it, plant those on the other side for me and David, alright?"

Assuming I have time for a spell, which I might not, just preemtively heal myself from whatever might happen. Again, and a third time.
The gambler pauses for a moment, hearing this, then stops just short of the portal.
"'m not lettin' ya die here. Mages are a violent bunch an' 'm not lettin' one of my partners die so easily."
The gambler lends his magic to James, granting his prayer the luck it needs to awaken the gods. Use the essence I've got, and +1/+1 in shards.
If the dragon's foot gets close or if the barrier keeping us alive is getting seriously weak, run through the portal, dragging James if necessary/possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:24:05 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »

Even though his soul was shattered, all of Tur's shards glowed with a single emotion- joy. The Manipulator begins denying other gods access to those within the arena (and starts helping the dragon destroy the arena, if he can). He also attempts to close the portals that are unnecessary for the dragon's escape, and informs it of the time limit for its form.

((On the contrary, smashing anything above or equal to stellar-sized into a ruler of a planet(or world, if you ask) does not work too well...
Here's all types that pass some of the resrictions:
Black holes might be immune of timestops; The singularity itself is encased by the event horizon space warp that speeds time into nigh-infinite speeds(10^100?).
Warp-spaced(yes, those who do not pass the locally sped up speed of light due to space warping)mass-type projectile are also the same; Magic-cancelling(IF the space warp was created by magic)the (potentially damaging)warp will cause the projectile into speeding up near the speed of light, causing the insane(lightspeed)-mass object to practically pierce through anything.
And don't forget those things which converts magic immediately into normal energy; Doing so will cause the thing into piercing all magic resistance...

...And i can't think of more.))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: February 07, 2016, 09:06:11 pm »

((In one word Ret-con. After all if you prevent the dragon from ever existing then it can't ever stop you from existing. Come to think of it. Absence could work too))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:08 pm »

((Absence could work too))

((Say, maybe absence of the mimic's heart? You might need some time magic to make it work, but it'd be a lot easier than trying to cast a spell on an island-sized dragon.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:24 pm »

((A miracle of Aethernet connection has happened!

This turn is maddening, awesome and absolutely hilarious (many thanks, ironsnake345). Hereby, I put request for Mortal Combat: Prismatic Dragon versus Duck-Island!

As for music... "Bye Bye Life" from the film All That Jazz seems oddly appropriate from a mage perspective.))

First several seconds, Kahel was too stupefied to think of something to say. No mage in his sane mind would use mimic's heart for such unstable transformation. Entirety of possibilities - wasted in a single gulp! Impossible! Absolutely impossible!

Then, the fear came. Mage turned prismatic dragon, mage that Kahel has wounded, stood now far above, taller than mountains, his wings shadowing entire island. There were no hope and no rescue from it's wraith. Prismatic breath, most potent of weapons, shredded ethereal and real with same easiness. And what magic could hope to subdue the beast in time?!

Thirdly and lastly, Kahel the Changer, one of the greater warrior mages of the Duck island, finally came to his senses... Partially, at least:

"Ahahah! What a majestic ending! Behold the treasure wasted on an ultimate revenge possible against this very land!"

Mage paused, finally realizing the imminent danger he was in.

"Ah well, why bother with pathetic speeches... Xazoliomuhr? I was extremely pleased by your service. Hereby, I declare our contract finished. You may save yourself or follow me to seek even greater crusades and many souls to reap - now, it's entirely your choice to make."

If distance seems reasonable, run to the Whirlpool. It's bad luck to follow the way you arrived, side-by-side with those you just tried to kill.

Otherwise, follow the road of the Damned, as seen by souls and shades venturing back through the main portal.

A mad laugh could be heard as the island crumbled to its inevitable end. A malevolent shade empowered by deaths and made ethereally incarnate, walked to the eldritch portal along with things long gone and things that were never made known. Shadows danced along the battleaxe edge while content grin stretched eerily on a face of the mage once dead.

"Run, run for your lives, insolent mages... For the Death itself walks in my wake. Cycle is endless. Welcome your Oblivion now for the life to rise anew!"
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »

((Absence could work too))

((Say, maybe absence of the mimic's heart? You might need some time magic to make it work, but it'd be a lot easier than trying to cast a spell on an island-sized dragon.))
Unfortunately for you, the dragon has more than twice the INT and WIS scores of Sherlock Holmes, and thus knows what you'd try to do to kill it before you do.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: February 07, 2016, 09:30:17 pm »

((... Sarrak... in that last bit of your action post... are you referring to Whaz?))
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 506