Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181498 times)

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 146 Crits all around
« Reply #4830 on: March 07, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »

Spoiler: post (click to show/hide)
Ah, cool. So that worked out. In this case, I'm changing my action to this: Continue slashing at Henry whilst casting skin-rigidifying spells, the only parameter in mind for said spells being "by a lot." No essences 'cause I'm out. (I think)
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:15 am »

"Welp. I didn't except that to happen....
Now i'll try to fix it with this."

Summon(-1) a golden rod that connects to the ground(grounding rod?).
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 145 Unpacking
« Reply #4832 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:04 am »

Although a good whack was one of the first things that came to mind, Jiksap realized it would be much, much easier to just use magic instead. Making the tumblers do his bidding can't be that hard, can it?

Also, suspicious mud spot. Hmmm.

Use a spell to unlock the lock. 1 essence afterwards. Keep a lookout for potential sea monsters, magical or mechanical chest traps, or other malignant phenomena.

(Forget something? ;))
((Reposting to increase chances of DG noticing that he forgot my turn ;)))

_Shinju_

• Bay Watcher
  • I drink and I forget things
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: March 08, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »

PM

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 145 Unpacking
« Reply #4834 on: March 08, 2016, 04:56:39 pm »

Although a good whack was one of the first things that came to mind, Jiksap realized it would be much, much easier to just use magic instead. Making the tumblers do his bidding can't be that hard, can it?

Also, suspicious mud spot. Hmmm.

Use a spell to unlock the lock. 1 essence afterwards. Keep a lookout for potential sea monsters, magical or mechanical chest traps, or other malignant phenomena.

(Forget something? ;))
((Reposting to increase chances of DG noticing that he forgot my turn ;)))

{Double Damnit. I can't help but feel that most of this could had been avoided by delaying update until Saturday. Added.}
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:17 pm »

((Flight time!))

Using both my affinities, cast a spell which researches a design for extremely dexterous wings (at the expense of speed, if need be), then builds them from solid binding.

Use my knowledge essence +1 POT, 2 knowledge essences +1+1, my binding essence +1+1, my binding essence +1 POT, one binding essence +1 CMP, and one knowledge essence +1 CMP for a maximum boost of +5+5.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:18 am »

That growing patch of disturbed mud was getting quite suspicious. Who's to say there aren't any sea monsters that hide on the ocean floor? Smaller species are known to do this as well. Getting away from that spot is probably a good idea.

Swim away from the suspicious mudspot, towards the shore. Create two essences along the way. (Don't forget to take the box!)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: March 09, 2016, 05:44:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Great, thanks! The ritual stuff sounds good to me, but I feel that sacrifices require more clarification, and an example if possible. Should sacrifices be items of significant power or value? The way they are currently defined, it seems to me that an Earth-aligned mage could simply use a random pile of rocks and dirt to power his earthquake rituals.))

PM'ed action. After that, make an essence and continue exploring, travelling south.
((So as to prevent errors: it appears that my position on the map wasn't updated last turn.))
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: March 09, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »

Continue following Cuberac, create 3 essences
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: March 10, 2016, 11:47:45 am »

Summon a loyal Tyrannosaurus Rex, using 5 essences (non-chaotic).

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: March 10, 2016, 06:19:38 pm »

Turn 147

((Stop dodging so I can murder you!))

Punch Chorkinaan in the skull, using kinesis magic to increase the kinetic energy of his skull going through his brain. (This ensures so that even if I get high POT/low CMP roll, it's his skull that explodes (as opposed to going straight backwards) rather than my hand.)
Ah, cool. So that worked out. In this case, I'm changing my action to this: Continue slashing at Henry whilst casting skin-rigidifying spells, the only parameter in mind for said spells being "by a lot." No essences 'cause I'm out. (I think)

Henry, by now very angry at the nimbleness of his opponent, charged past Chorkinaans sword and struck Chorkinaan just above his left eye. The magic around Henry's fist discharged early but effectively, mangling and tearing away flesh cutting through supraorbital artery and letting blood spill freely. Chorkinaans left eye was rendered useless by plentiful blood spilling over it. Henry's victory was short lived. There was a glint in Chorkinaan's right eye as he finally had the opening he wanted. His blade plunged into Henry's stomach cutting through guts and poking several inches out of Henry's back. The pain distracted Henry quite well from the fact that his skin was becoming hard enough to light matches with.
{Chorkinaan: Bleeding, 10 turns to death. No depth perception, -1 to DEX rolls.}
{Henry the Best: Bleeding, 3 turns to death.}

Replace my legs with parrots legs, of the same size,use all non-chaotic essences, see if the crystal bird can help

Seva knew well that he had little knowledge when it came to medicine and did not feel that what he knew was nearly enough to deal with broken bones. There was an alternative in magic, though before trying Seva gave an asking look at his crystal bird. It looked back innocently. Seva sighed and focused on his legs. As he began to cast, the same fog on his mind that blocked the pain from broken bones reaching the brain intensified, mudding the streams that gave power to the spell and the streams that shaped the spell. Previous preparations could not support the entire spell on their own but they managed to prevent the worst outcome. As Seva managed to focus enough through the mindfog to comprehend what he was seeing again, he saw that he did gain a pair of parroty legs, both of which were too short by about a half, and one of which was still broken.

Continue going east, create 3 more essences.

Cuberac continued eastwards, passing both the tower and the magical clouds, but coming closer to a patch of land dotted by geysers. Numerous pools of water dotted the land, many of which were hot enough to see the steam coming off them and few which erupted as miniature volcanoes, spitting out water several meters into the air. It was amazing how far the water could fly from such bursts, a droplet surprised Cuberac enough for him to fumble a rather important part of essence crafting. Sand from around Cuberac stuck into a small pile which formed into a cube, which then became clear glass, which then formed several mirrors inside and then suddenly turned entirely black.

Wayfarer was pleased. What he saw in the distance looked like a font of magic. He would need to prepare in order to capture it, however. But first he wanted a mask.

A simple trick his first master had taught him came to mind. It was much easier to craft items magically by shaping material, compared to simply conjuring the item out of the air.

Wayfarer creates(-1 or 0) a chunk of solid force, using a +1 CMP essence and a +1 POT essence, then plays solid force essence roulette.

Wayfarer sat down for the time being and focused on conjuring a piece of solid force. It turned out to be rather small piece but it could serve as a base for further work. Wayfarer began meditating. He dragged his power to his hands, longer and more persistently than he had before. His comparative lack of magical skill limited the usefulness of the exercise, but when he finally finished and released the congealed metaphorical scraps of such exercise they flowed into previously small piece of solid force expanding it considerably. It was nice when problems solved each other.

That was exactly how I didn't plan this.

Prepare to fight for survival: Create hard wood spikes from my exterior shell pointing up and down in such manner that I'm hard to swallow whole. Use +1/+1.
Fight defensively.

Shias was so surprised by the sudden appearance of the creature that he momentarily froze in place. He'd never know, but the creature was also quite surprised by him and only its beastly instinct allowed it to beat the druid in recovery speed. A spike shot out of the ground, it seemed to be metallic in nature but there was also something organic about it. The spike lightly bopped Shias on his face and disappeared back underground. While Shias mind was trying to process what was happening, another part of him was moving automatically. His lips spoke the words without any influence of conscious thoughts and his armor grew numerous spikes turning him into a bastard son of a treant and cactus. Moments later, when his mind finally caught on to what was happening, it made a note that the armor was now more cumbersome and that the enemy had a ranged weapon.

"Water, cold, sand... Now even the most basic elements, those I should have mastery of, oppose me!"

Fry this sand blob into glass with extreme prejudice! Using 1 essence to assure moderate success. Run away if this fails really badly.

Kahel, feeling rather done, looked at the blob before him. The water was far more trouble than it was worth, but now even land near the water was attacking him. He would stop this and he would do so now. Heat washed over the blob, and Kahel noticed something strange. There was something boiling and evaporating but it wasn't the sand. There was something holding the sand together and it seemed to react poorly to fire. Kahel the rethought this hypothesis, replacing "poorly" with "violently" as blob charged at him again, forcing Kahel to dive and roll out of the way.

I use my essences to create a Law Field, to put an end to this wild magic storm

Bernardo cast out his magic as accusation. It flew forward, taking great offence in the clouds of magic before it. When the spell met the clouds there was a discharge of rainbow colored lightning and dust fell neatly downwards. A liquid of some sort, smelling strongly of rotten eggs, condensed in puddles where magic cut a tunnel through the clouds. There seemed to be a humanoid figure ahead, though it was still obscured by the clouds.

Ow. That hurt. A lot. Ugh.  Still, could have been worse. Any explosion you can walk away from... Oh wait.
"Sure could've. I don't know whether to call you brave or stupid."
Heal Skelly.
Turn the omnicube into a winch, including a chain and hook. Toss the hook to Skelly and reel him in once he hooks it around himself.
Or just drag him to safety the old fashioned way if I can't get the winch working.

Occasionally glance at the eye covered blob.

Ow. That hurt. A lot. Ugh.  Still, could have been worse. Any explosion you can walk away from... Oh wait.
"Sure could've. I don't know whether to call you brave or stupid."
This time I'd say I was stupid. I should've used Vortex Bane. After all, its already extremely resistant to magic and physical attacks.

I think I know a way to pay back my new debt to you. Quick question. Do you mind if I make you immune to blades?

Skelliborn:

Action:

Use a 1 turn ritual magic to make James immune to sharp objects.

Mods: -1 Side effect: a tattoo of a runic blade appears on James hand.
((I'm using blade shaped tattoos as a way to enchant people the same way as I can enchant normal blades. As such, the ruins within any given blade tattoo are the Blade ruins for whatever spell I cast on that person. ))

Essence Usage:
3 Blade essences +1CMP
Blade essence +1/+1

Item Sacrifices:
The coal like blade which I tried to use to block the electricity

Once James has healed me, get out of the liquid.

((The tattoo shouldn't make a difference for this spell due to how strictly it relates to blades. The technique is more magic theory for seeing if I can add blade enchants to people/ creatures/ non-blade objects))
[/spoiler]

James extended his healing magic towards Skeliborn and watched his left arm fix itself. He then reached out with healing power again, and Skeliborns right arm's wound vanished without a mark. James pressed a few buttons on his armlet and it reshaped itself into a winch with both chain and a hock and a nice large spike to affix it to the ground. Things were looking good and James tossed the hook and chain over to Skeliborn. Sword mage did not react to this at all. His hand still clutched the blade with enough strength to turn the fingers white and he was still corpse stiff. Paralysis still remained strong.

Some distance away, Eterna was forced to jump off his throne as the spell meant to summon a lightning rod summoned a large cube of stuff just above him. The cube fell straight on the throne, specifically on the seat where it managed to stay even after previously floating throne fell.

((Flight time!))

Using both my affinities, cast a spell which researches a design for extremely dexterous wings (at the expense of speed, if need be), then builds them from solid binding.

Use my knowledge essence +1 POT, 2 knowledge essences +1+1, my binding essence +1+1, my binding essence +1 POT, one binding essence +1 CMP, and one knowledge essence +1 CMP for a maximum boost of +5+5.

Viznor felt that it was time for him too to gain the ability of flight. Unlike many others, he did not build for aesthetics but rather for function. A function fair degree different than others. Where they built for speed, he built for agility. White strands of binding reached out from his back, congealing into white plates which then split into tiny diamond shaped parts. Viznor flexed the wings experimentally. They split into pieces and joined back on command, spinning and twisting as ordered. It should be exceptionally easy to change direction with these.

That growing patch of disturbed mud was getting quite suspicious. Who's to say there aren't any sea monsters that hide on the ocean floor? Smaller species are known to do this as well. Getting away from that spot is probably a good idea.

Swim away from the suspicious mudspot, towards the shore. Create two essences along the way. (Don't forget to take the box!)

Jiksap leered at the mud clouds and kicked off towards the shore. Something jumped from the mud towards where he had been moments ago, but Jiksap swam off so swiftly that the attacker thought that it would be easier to find something else. Jiksap swam close enough to the shore that he almost reached the surface when he stood on the bottom. It was a choice between dangerous underwater creatures and dangerous land walking wizards.

Continue following Cuberac, create 3 essences

Blake continued sneaking after Cuberac, following him through the same path that had no obvious goal. But the monotony had its uses and Blake made us of it to charge his magic batteries. A beam of light, possibly a reflection shone from somewhere around Cuberac into Blake's eyes, momentarily blinding him and making him to lose focus. There was a rush of power and a churning feeling in Blake's stomach. When he looked again he noticed that his skin was now fair few shades more red than it was before.

Summon a loyal Tyrannosaurus Rex, using 5 essences (non-chaotic).

Bob considered his experience as a T-rex. Sure, he didn’t try it himself, but such a creature could prove devastating. Being devastating was what carried T-rex to the top of the food chain so many years ago. Transforming into one was difficult to sustain on account of extra magic to keep the mind intact, but creating one would solve that. Bob called to the long lost reality where such creatures walked the earth and called one forth. On one hand it was a T-rex, alive and it wasn't trying to eat his face. On another, Bob thought, it appears to be about two weeks old. It was comparatively tiny, smaller than himself and its teeth were barely visible under flesh. It seemed to have greater chance to kill people by adorableness rather than actual murder.

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 147 Possibly good edition
« Reply #4841 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »

((Crap, if I hadn't rolled a 1 on CMP and released it early, I might've actually killed you there.))

Punch Chorkinaan in the skull, using kinesis magic to increase the kinetic energy of his skull going through his brain. (This ensures so that even if I get high POT/low CMP roll, it's his skull that explodes (as opposed to going straight backwards) rather than my hand.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: March 10, 2016, 07:18:05 pm »

Move to that tree tile, generate 3 more essences.

In the Docs Corpse tab, the forum name and character name of Fallacy of Urist's character None are reversed.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:30 pm »

((Oh dear. Sorry for missing a couple of turns.))
Search for something to help cart Skelliborn around and ping for lucky locations nearby.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:24 pm »

Using all non-chaotic essences, apply Deathcurse to self. The Deathcurse will, upon my death, transfer any and all nearby curses to the magician most responsible for it. Oh, and it's permanent.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 506