Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163653 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 148 Fortune hates the cheaters
« Reply #4890 on: March 16, 2016, 11:48:03 am »

Five binding essences, for now. Will probably edit this into an actual action when I have time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:04:32 pm by Whisperling »

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: March 16, 2016, 01:16:44 pm »

"For your transgressions, I sentence you to LIFE IN PRISON!!! But first, to break your toy...."
"So that's how it is, eh? You turn up uninvited in clearly-warded territory, interrupt my rituals, blatantly attempt to impose your ideology...and now threaten to take away my freedom and destroy my work? My patience runs thin, law mage."

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »

"So that's how it is, eh? You turn up uninvited in clearly-warded territory, interrupt my rituals, blatantly attempt to impose your ideology...and now threaten to take away my freedom and destroy my work? My patience runs thin, law mage."
"As Bernardo, Sheriff Magician, Reality be thy jurisdiction. By the way of Status Quo, allow me the pleasure of personally seeing the imprisonment of this renegade's being, so that his antics may not poison Reality non-ever again. All, Praise, The STATUS QUO!"
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: March 16, 2016, 01:38:14 pm »

"It is decided.

I am XOM.

You're going to have a bad time."

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »

"It is decided.

I am XOM.

Kazulovania
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: March 16, 2016, 03:04:47 pm »

PM action, actually.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: March 17, 2016, 03:14:38 pm »

((I think I'm going to have to drop out, sorry.  This is fun though and if things get less busy I'll hop back in))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: March 17, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »

"I need more tests... IF this construct is vulnerable to fire, it might be interesting to turn it into glass and test its properties afterwards."

More heat! +1 essence
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:19 am »

I lost the turn.
I thought I'd finish it in the morning and it wasn't saved.
I'm a bit sad at the moment.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: March 18, 2016, 03:47:02 am »

((Did I win the fight? If not, feel free to reroll all the actions. I don't mind.))
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: March 18, 2016, 05:46:51 am »

Dodge!
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: March 18, 2016, 06:33:16 am »

((I feel sorry for you, DG. Then again, this lets me post my action...))

Summon a breathing collar to keep my gills hydrated while on the surface. Use two +1/+1 essences.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: March 18, 2016, 08:42:53 am »

((Ouch.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: March 20, 2016, 04:59:28 pm »

Turn 149

Wayfarer examined his helmet-mask thing. It would do for the moment. But sooner or later he would want to improve it. But now... he had more preparation to do.

Wayfarer donned his helmet-mask thing. Then he cast a spell to make his hunk of solid force larger. Afterwards, he played solid force essence roulette once again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wayfarer focused his power into the slab of solid force he held, the spell congealing around existing material, growing it greatly. The slab expanded almost explosively, falling out of Wayfarer's hands and onto the ground. It was now as large as Wayfarer's torso and a tad too heavy to lift, let alone carry anywhere. Satisfied, Wayfarer sat down and began meditating. He focused his power, mentally blocking away his natural senses. The magic lingered, he channeled it longer than he had ever before, longer than he thought wise or even sensible, less for usefulness and more to see what would happen. And indeed, Wayfarer found something new, but he didn’t like what it was. Magic felt the same about him and surged violently. Wayfarer barely managed to roll away as slab of solid force before him grew massive spikes right through where he just was, skewering edges of his cloak.

Thank you for healing me James. I sure was an idiot back there. Although, I will say that having that near death experience has given me insight on how to improve upon my magic.

Now lets see if this works...

Convert the blade that looks like coal into essences.
Then create 2 more essences while heading towards the crystal tower Hepheastus pointed out to me..

Skeliborn looked at the carbon blade. It had brought him a great deal of pain and he wanted to get rid of it. But there was no reason why it should go to waste. Skeliborn drained the essence of the blade, taking away all that made it sword. When spell subsided, what was left in his hand was a rod of carbon. Personal grievances dealt with, Skeliborn set out to do the task god residing within him had ordered. It did not take long, but it did require some sneaking. Massive ruby tower stood before him, and from the only visible entrance the skeleton soldiers waked out to do battle at irregular intervals.

Happy with how things are going, Chorkinaan continues with this strategy while monologuing boastfully to Henry, punctuated occasionally by an audible wince at his flayed head. Do you know what it takes to be the best wizard, Henry? Believe it or not, it takes more than just magic power.
((Chorkinaan was supposed to have -1DEX from the injury I inflicted.))

Punch Chorkinaan in the skull, using kinesis magic to increase the kinetic energy of his skull going through his brain. (This ensures so that even if I get high POT/low CMP roll, it's his skull that explodes (as opposed to going straight backwards) rather than my hand.)
{Taking defensive stance has bonuses. Probably should had noted that in some way though.}

Henry rushed towards Chorkinaan, another lethally charged fist flying through the air only to discharge harmlessly. Henry's sight was becoming unfocused, he felt fuzzy and cold. There was very little time left and he could feel it. Chorkinaan could also feel that his opponent wasn't going to last much longer which made him willing jump around, taunting the mage that came to try to kill him.

Make 3 essences.

The geysers were not all that dangerous, thought Cuberac after spending some time around them. The geysers spat out boiling hot blasts of water, true, but if he kept away from them, they were harmless. The stench was terrible, but not actually poisonous. There were no dangerous creatures around, due to geysers and the smell, which suited Cuberac just fine. In contemplation, he hardly noticed as a leak of his magic slashed nearby pebbles into tiny cubes.

I consume all essences and shards to fire a Massive bolt of Magic-Consuming Fire at the magic cloud.

2 Shards: +1 to COMP roll

3 Shards: +3 to POT Roll

"For your transgressions, I sentence you to LIFE IN PRISON!!! But first, to break your toy...."
"It is decided.

I am XOM.

Bernardo focused his power, he charged his spell with essences and soul shards and fired a bolt of Law into the center of the field, straight through the path he had cut before. Tendrils of dust extended from the surrounding clouds and attacked the bolt, but they were all burned off by Bernardo's magic. The bolt flew all the way to the silhouette in the center and exploded. The shockwave met the clouds and they burned with fractals. A two meter tall crystal structure of sulfur appeared, its edges recurring infinitely until they became fuzzy and glowed with pale white light. A rainbow appeared around the cleared out part of field, if it could be called so, being a ring close to the ground and consisting of about thirteen colors scattered around seemingly randomly. In the middle of the field, fairly close to Xom formed a floating pyramid, no more than three meters tall, formed from blocks of volcanic stone with a cap of white. The cap began to glow and spark and hum. Xom, seemingly oblivious to the pyramid, and for that matter, all else that was happening around him, conjured what appeared to be a gateway to another reality. Reality that was, for some reason, filled with flashing colors and frogs. The gateway, which was for some strange reason shaped like a beast of some sort, somehow turned to Xom and charged while roaring.

EDIT:
2 essences.

Eterna glared at the cube of gold occupying his throne. It was not that large, some 50 centimeters on each edge, but it was still gold and gold was heavy. He had tried but the cube couldn't reasonably be neither pushed nor lifted, and it came as no great surprise to Eterna, as from what he remembered of gold's density, the cube weighted almost three tons. He couldn't use the throne to deal with this either, as cube blocked whatever magic links throne had from interacting with Eterna. If he ever wanted to travel in style again, he'd need to work for it.

Scare it away by walking at its direction while stomping the ground as hard as I possibly can. Generally use normal animal kingdom scare tactics; appear as large and dangerous as possible (wide stance), brightly colored to indicate I'm very toxic/venomous (spell).

Shias did not particularly want to battle whatever was underground. He was not averse to it, but there was no benefit to be gained. However, the easy way out, simply escaping, was also not an option Shias liked, as he still had much to do in the forest. There was a way out, and even though it was somewhat unreliable, it suited druids’ interests best. Magic coursed around him, repainting his armor and empowering sound of his steps. The creature, whatever it was, was not impressed. Spike shot out of the ground with enough speed to show that the creature was done messing around. Had Shias failed to get out of the way in time, there was little doubt it would had been able to cause considerable damage. But get out of the way he did, albeit by ramming himself in a nearby mess of branches.

Impart my wide knowledge of curses into a conjured book! Up to 5 chaotic essences, using the strongest first.

Many mages had spent their lives trying to find the origins of living tomes. It was clear that they were creations of great wizards, but rare few knew how to make one and they did not share such knowledge easily. And thus, decades were spent trying to find the secrets in ink, or parchment, or magic contained within. Mostly that resulted in unfortunate accidents, as such tomes were rarely friendly. They were rarely friendly even to their creators, and Gloomy released breath he hadn't realized he held when conjured tome opened obediently. There were few of his weaker curses contained within, but that could be improved.

Use five non-chaotic essences and attempt to age the Tyrannosaurus Rex to adulthood.
{Essences differ in power, please do specify which ones you want to use next time.}

Bob looked at T-rex he summoned. It was adorable, and he could probably woo numerous archeologists with the prospect of watching it grow, but he needed something fiercer right now. Something a bit older and a fair deal larger. Bob focused on the tiny T-rex and pulled it across its timeline. T-rex seemingly froze in place, and, moments later, began changing. Its teeth grew sharper and its skin became rougher. The entire form began to grown, but it was not just simple growth. Wounds appeared and healed, leaving scars, as T-rex moved through time. When spell ran out, tiny and adorable creature was no more. While not yet at the peak of its growth, T-rex stood larger than any land predator, over two meters in height and five meters in length, heavy enough to crush a man by simply lying down and bearing several scars as marks of experience in battle.

Fly. Looking for Grundar. Try again to sense the branch.
Then make 2 summoning essences.

Call Grundar to make sure he's still alright. Ask if he's seen any mages or anything else interesting. How goes his orders to find Jase or Crimson?

{I am quite certain you cant't fly anywhere, as your jetpack is curently so much scrap.}

James reached out again, trying to sense the link between him and branch of the enchanted tree. The connection was faint, but James managed to hold onto it and home in on it. South. The branch was southwards. It was too far to get anything clearer through such a weak link, but he knew where to go. He walked slowly, taking care to keep a fair distance between himself and skeleton spawning towers. He either was good at sneaking or the skeletons did not care much of him. Whichever it was, James managed to reach the edge of strange ground without incident. Before he could relax though, he heard a strange slithering sound behind him. The eyed flesh heap had followed him all the way to the edge.

James kept his eyes on the heap, but his hands grabbed the communicator and he called Grundar for status update. "Oh boss, I got the branch planted. The druids changed their opinion when it set some huge bug on fire. Said that it would be good to deal with swamps. I see the Tower is up again, I'll go check there."

try again to fix my leg, climb back up into the trees if it works

Seva cast his spell again, and finally, the bone shards returned to their places and grew back with refreshing sensation. It was refreshing mostly due to pain, but Seva also felt the unfamiliar rush from joy of having useful legs again. He climbed nearby tree, claws on his feet evening out the disadvantage of having legs woefully unsuited for such climbing. Down below, a trail of disturbed dirt reached where Seva was and stopped in confusion.

"I need more tests... IF this construct is vulnerable to fire, it might be interesting to turn it into glass and test its properties afterwards."

More heat! +1 essence

Kahel was first to move again, making use of time the ball spent recovering from its previous charge to blast it with heat again. Larger part boiled away this time, releasing a decent amount of sand and reducing the size of the ball considerably. It charged again, but its reduced mass merely knocked Kahel to the ground, causing no real damage.

Dodge!

Gambler steadied himself, watching where the unidentified thing was falling and whether he would need to dodge. As it turned out, he didn’t, and the thing fell into the pond of glop. The repulsive liquid splattered all around, waves in the pond sent wetness out on the shores, and steam clouds formed as the fallen object cooled. Except that it wasn't actually cooling. Gambler, feeling that it was safe to look, well, at least safe from getting any of the cursed stuff in his eyes, used the chance to identify the object. He felt his heart sink into his heels as realization hit. It was first called magmastone, for its mysterious ability to remain indefinitely hot, no matter what was around it. Only far later was the true nature of material discovered and its current name assigned. It was Eternity, supposed material which Gods used to forge their tools from. It could be used as an energy source, any energy, from magical to physical to divine and damned.  This chunk here was larger than Gambler was, and a bar of this would be able to buy him favors from any being that relied on more than physical strength. Heck, even most of those would want to deal with him for great enchantment possibilities. Gambler was about to jump back into the pond when numerous large fleshy tongues emerged from the liquid and grabbed onto his prize.

Summon a breathing collar to keep my gills hydrated while on the surface. Use two +1/+1 essences.

Jiksap gave some thought to his predicament. After last time he risked changing his body and managed to bar his access to anywhere above water level, with possible exception of aquariums, he wasn't about to rush at the chance to do it again. On the other hand, unless he dealt with his gills, he wouldn't be able to get to where the action was. Then it clicked. He didn’t need to undo the modifications; he needed what he had tried before, but in reverse. While Jiksap wondered what he'd call his scuba device meant to keep the water inside, portal spat out archaic full-body suit with massive brown helmet with a window in front.

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 149 Motherload has landed
« Reply #4904 on: March 20, 2016, 05:00:48 pm »

PM's are being currently written.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 506