Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1177441 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 154 Magical styleoff/snoboff
« Reply #5070 on: April 20, 2016, 02:08:04 am »

Turn 155

Oh pain. Wayfarer realized that he couldn't run now. And his sword was still stuck in the ground.

Assets:
1 facemask/helmet thing.
1 absurdly huge sword, currently unusable due to being embedded in the ground.
1 fist-sized chunk of solid force.
Assorted low-power essences.

And his foe... hugely outclassed him. Time for drastic measures.
After all, his physical attacks were basically useless against this foe, and there was no way his magic was going to be sufficient unless he made use of a blood sacrifice.
Sure, it would be a pain. But it was preferable to what was basically a 100% chance of death.

So PM action.
PM action.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Both Viznor and wayfarer began preparing their magic, one hopeful and the other defensive. Wayfarer began the spell first, but Viznor's magic was simpler, making both of them unleash their spells at the same time. A defensive shroud surrounded Viznor, flickering about due to few faults in its construction. Wayfarer was better with his spell and a glowing chunk of solid force appeared in the air. The trouble was that it appeared some three meters away from Viznor. It began falling to the ground, but was beaten in speed by an arrow shot by Viznor, although its aim was not much better as it nailed a shrub fair distance away from Wayfarer.

Well, that place seems active. Who was that... I believe the first one was Jase Blackthorn? ...With wings? And his guest, the bodybuilder... His name was James, I believe. I can't seem to remember either of their affinities... I'd have to say this gentlemen here is Bob T Baker, the only paleomage I've ever met. Why can I remember wizards' names so well? I'm awful with names, but I never seem to forget a wizard's name. Well, enough talking to myself, time to prepare for the worst. Good idea to get a bit of preparation going anyway. Chorkinaan creates a shield for himself, its asked properties being that it is weighted as if forged from steel (which is lighter than straight iron), unnaturally tough, and not affected by gravity. Essences: +1cmp, chaotic +1pot, and one +1/+1.

Chorkinaan edited reality once more, this time for protective purposes. A good shield was second best thing after a full set of armor, and Chorkinaan knew what to want in a shield. His magic, however disagreed. It felt jealous of his inclination to physical, rather than magical approach to murder, and decided to teach Chorkinaan a lesson. The shield was everything he wanted, but it also had everything that could turn a shield useless. The grip on the shield was razor sharp. The shield was bent outwards, meaning that it would catch rather than deflect attacks, but even that would be difficult to achieve, as the shield was about as large as a bowl.

"Yeah. This should be suitable for my purposes."

Search the island. Try to find demon. Make three essences.

Kahel continued his exploration of the island, and found out that it was indeed as barren as it looked. There weren't even any plants here, possibly the work of the slime he had killed. But it was not entirely empty. A creature stood before Kahel, and he couldn't help but think that it looked a bit like a jellyfish. If Jellyfish could fly, had been red and had several tentacles that were armed with several kinds of needles in addition to the usual poisonous ones. One of the needle tentacles was raised towards Kahel and the needle disappeared, only to reappear in Kahel's chest with a wet *thud*. It seemed to be coated in something, but that something was either not very effective or slow acting, as Kahel didn’t feel anything unusual. The pain was there, but that was to be expected when one gets stabbed.

"Imps as gardeners. This is new." Shias wonders aloud. "I'm Shias, Druid of the West, and I'm new on these lands. I sought out to grow my own plants and found this place, and put the overly hungry plants to sleep. Have you not been feeding them properly? And as a new person on this area I'm not familiar with deals you have made with forest. Do you have Token of Deal?"

Demand to see their sign of deal in non-hostile manner and inspect its validity. Maybe they are just lying? If they have no proof of deal, then consult the forest.

I have no clue how the stuff goes around in your forest, but druids here don't do written agreements. I can understand reluctance to sign on anything involving demons, but locals seem to distrust paper itself for some reason.  They planted a bunch of flowers that are supposed to change color if people cast magic, though how they differentiate it from ambient magic I have no idea. The head imp informed Shias. He also helpfully led the druid to one of alleged magic detecting flowers. It certainly had a bit of an artificial look to it, a single bulb on a thin and long stalk, it seemed far too easy to be destroyed by anyone brushing by to have grown all naturally. The flower was bright orange. As they approached closer, the flower changed its color into deep blue with grains of gold. "Oh damnit, you used a spell to put our plant's to sleep, didn’t you?"

Make 2 essences, try to touch the illusion.

Cuberac carefully walked over to the illusion and attempted to touch it. The illusion moved away. He lunged at the illusion and it deftly dodged out of the way. It was rather useful, as anyone trying to discern true from false would have no less trouble testing which was which.

Remember that ring I made a couple of turns ago? Make another one of those, as well as three essences.

Also, put on the first one, if I haven't already.

Gloomy gathered his power again and attempted to forge another ring. The ring part went off okay, but everything afterwards was a complete disaster as magic began fraying into sharp edges. Some less experienced mage would have likely lost their clear thinking (and fingers) but Gloomy had (unfortunately) large amount of experience with this. Magic that attempted to tear off his fingers resolved into eight glowing rings around his fingers sans thumbs. One of the rings moved forward, neatly pushing off the ring Gloomy had conjured before and only returned to its original position after the ring clattered on the ground. The glowing curse that had pushed off the ring began to unravel rapidly, the tears spreading to nearby rings as well. It would seem that at least the first ring was a success.

{Slippery fingers, 1 turn}

"Of course I have a moment, I came here to talk to you actually. How're ya doing?"

3 healing essences while I talk to Jase.

James struck up a conversation with Jase, happy to see a familiar face again. They hadn't parted long ago, but massive dragons have this time extending quality in memory. Jase too was happy to see James, and was swift to share some thoughts as to the nature of the Islands.

Ritual preparations by summoning two more boxes, one of assorted electrical parts, and one of assorted clockwork parts.

Jiksap conjured forth a pair of extra boxes filled with parts. There was some good stuff in there, possibly enough to construct something interesting to more people than just Jiksap. It wouldn't be going in construction through the usual means though. What Jiksap crafted this for was magic.

2 essences.

Eterna continued watching the good show before him. He wondered if he should help, but decided against it. It looked dangerous, and the golden throne wasn't half bad. Besides, they seemed to be doing just fine.

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 155 Totaly on time
« Reply #5071 on: April 20, 2016, 02:09:57 am »

PM's are being processed.

To clarify, Blood power can be used any ammount of times, but grows more severe rapidly with each use. The first use will require END 5 (roll+bonuses) to entirely avoid injury.

Star2wars3, same as last turn.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:13:56 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: April 20, 2016, 02:47:58 am »

"Well of course, I didn't want to be eaten and didn't want to kill them either. Worry not, I will resolve this problem I have caused."

Seek out the local druids to explain my interference on the matter (and if the man eaters wake up while imps are still standing amongst them, well, that solves their hunger issues). If imps know where to find them, then employ this knowledge, otherwise rely on whispers of the forest. Make two essences on the way. Maybe I'll be someday free of distractions and able to focus on more important study of nature.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:34:14 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: April 20, 2016, 07:18:16 am »

With preparations complete, nothing stands between Jiksap and ultimate power!!!
Or something like that.

Begin PM ritual, using one +1CMP essence on the roll. Use all three recently summoned mechanical parts boxes as sacrifices.
((For clarification: PM is the same as before.
DG: if you want me to resend it, I can.))
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:20:53 am by thegamemaster1234 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: April 20, 2016, 08:18:57 am »

((Um... a potential mistake in the turn: I'm pretty sure you used the action that I wanted to use only if Blood Sacrifices were not a thing this turn, and they are definitely a thing this turn... based on the fact that Wayfarer didn't use a Greater Blood Sacrifice like I wanted- sorry for the inconvenience.))

Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:32 am »

Have castle take me to where Jiksap is. Craft 3 essences.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: April 20, 2016, 10:36:38 am »

Damn it... I just want to not die! Why don't you and I see eye to eye, magic? Chorkinaan condenses more of the same material onto the shield, attempting to turn the razor sharp grip round and add a wide rim around the bowl, which should hopefully bring the shield to a usable size. 1 +1/+1 essence. Hopefully, this will render the shield usable, even if it ends up an awkwardly sized buckler. That bowl's catching of weapons could come in handy anyway.
Actually, I'm being too sane about this... I need to step over the boundaries of the original plan once in a while. This could provide a VERY interesting backup, heh heh heh! The grip is razor sharp on both sides, right? The part facing in towards the shield as well as facing out away from it? If that's the case, chorkinaan adds some material with no asked properties onto the INSIDE of the bowl, to create a grip in order for him to wield the shield, using the razor-sharp grip as a weapon, with the bowl acting as a really nice handguard. No essences. (If that's not the case, the plan with a big strike-through on it happens.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:35:34 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: April 20, 2016, 11:42:36 am »

((Um... a potential mistake in the turn: I'm pretty sure you used the action that I wanted to use only if Blood Sacrifices were not a thing this turn, and they are definitely a thing this turn... based on the fact that Wayfarer didn't use a Greater Blood Sacrifice like I wanted- sorry for the inconvenience.))

They kinda weren't a thing this turn? Due to there being some confusion about their balance? I'm just going to put up a poll.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: April 20, 2016, 12:20:00 pm »

((My opinion about the Blood Power: Make it limited resource. The second wind that burns your mind to power magic. Ditch the minor buff and keep only the large one. Let it be used X times. Once all X times are used the mage dies. With boom.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: April 20, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »

Summon a cluster of mobile sharp cubes, using 3 +1/+1 essences and 2 +1/+0 essences.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:16:21 pm by Zormod »

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: April 20, 2016, 05:19:10 pm »

PM's are being processed.

To clarify, Blood power can be used any ammount of times, but grows more severe rapidly with each use. The first use will require END 5 (roll+bonuses) to entirely avoid injury.

Star2wars3, same as last turn.
((Really sorry :-[. Been busy preppin' and going on vacation for the past few days.))
If the one that was just stabbed is dead (or will be shortly without any more help), shank the one that Skelliborn is fighting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:22:10 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: April 20, 2016, 05:32:07 pm »

Wayfarer was silent as he processed this new development.

Wayfarer then attempted to work his sword out of the ground and use it as a shield.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: April 20, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »

((Edited my post with a really DEVIOUS change of plans I thought of earlier today. Nyeh heh heh!  ;D ))
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:02:54 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: April 21, 2016, 10:13:37 am »

Summon 2 golden eagles,use all non-chaotic essences(adds up to +5/+5)
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 154 Magical styleoff/snoboff
« Reply #5084 on: April 21, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »

Have an absence of teeth beholder. heh heh heh.

Skeliborn

Action:
Keep slicing/stabbing the larger beholder.

If the one that was just stabbed is dead (or will be shortly without any more help), shank the one that Skelliborn is fighting.

Skeliborn pulled back his blade for another strike, desire for speed overpowering the desire for accuracy. The blade flew, but rather than the edge, Skeliborn managed to twist his hand so that Beholder was struck with the flat of the blade. But the speed of the strike proved useful, Beholder had no chance to dodge and the flat smacked it in the eye, causing it to close, making Beholder momentarily blind. But just as swiftly as Skeliborn struck, Beholder counterattacked, remainder of its teeth piercing through Skeliborn's right arm in several places and nuzzling ineffectually at countless others. Poison seeped into the wounds and Skeliborn fell in pain, his hand involuntarily releasing his beloved blade. As Skeliborn fell, Gambler charged, his magic draining stiletto poised to strike. It reached only air, as Beholder rose upwards, blinking as it attempted to clear its eye, and Gambler fell to the ground, straight on Skeliborn's writhing body.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 506