Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1179365 times)

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 159 One down, five to go
« Reply #5235 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:35 am »

(I stand with thegamemaster123. Biotech is in the works, I'm pretty certain. Assuming that thegamemaster123 doesn't object, I'll look forward to working with all of you.)

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: May 17, 2016, 03:45:13 pm »

((Dayum! I'm-a go get some water, 'cause this plot just got THICK!))

((As for alliances, the only alliance I'm really looking forward to is between me and thegamemaster123. Simply for the awesome mechanical possibilities and/or clockwork power armor with sword grappling hooks. From there, maybe I'll be a peaceable magician, maybe I'll be a shard-hunting warlock. I'll be playing it by ear.))
((Honestly, Jiksap's affinity works well with just about anything. Adding in your affinity it may be possible to, say, make an infinite-ammo Uzi or something. Clockwork power armor though... Dang, this brings back memories of Clockwork Phase minecraft mod. That armor was so overpowered, I could fight a Chaos Guardian from Draconic Evolution and take very little damage. For a while, anyway...))

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: May 17, 2016, 07:06:39 pm »

((Is this still accepting new players?))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:33 pm »

((Always. There is zero waitlist.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: May 17, 2016, 07:17:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look at my surroundings.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:17:40 am by BlackHeartKabal »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: May 17, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »

In short: It's not a lack of efficiency, it's just a different desire within the game. Beirus is the same way, as far as I know, and probably Nav and Crimson as well. In any case, if they wanted to win the game in the first place, I think they'd already have done it. They've had plenty of time, after all.))

((It's pretty hard to win this game:
1. Shards are eagerly consumed for upgrades on both sides of conflict => meager gains from kills and no practically no stash.
2. Very lengthy and difficult process of killing other mages (exstencive preparation, finding someone, weaving intricate spells and praying for good rolls).
3. Reaching the goal with team is fun, yet improbable (barring scenario of shard-feeding one mage, but who would do that?). And alone, mages are essentially glass cannons - even one unfortunate miscast can end career of a mage-hunter.

I've opted for world exploration and minion interactions instead. And now, I really need a minion healer, as result...))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:40:39 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: May 17, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

((As far as I'm aware, the "Triad" refers to Jase, James, and Crimson, the only mages remaining from the original ten that first appeared on the Duck.))

Well, it's not necessarily winning that I enjoy, but making and executing the mad plots that (could) bring me to victory.

I prefer fighting against other players over monsters partially because players tend to be more intelligent and fortified than monsters. I enjoy trying to get around those fortifications.
((As for this, while I can understand and even agree with wanting to test yourself against other players and finding joy in it, I can't take this seriously because of the methods used. After your first character died, you literally made up a god and got it approved, then used it to give your later characters an advantage upon creation that no other players have had.  I can't speak for any other players, but for me it calls every victory you have over another mage into question, since we don't know if you actually managed to beat them through your own ingenuity and planning or if you won because you abused the power of the god you made up to make your character stronger than your opponent. I'm just going to stop there, and of course this is just my opinion. I would also like to make it clear that I don't hold any ill will towards you as a person.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: May 17, 2016, 09:28:51 pm »

In short: It's not a lack of efficiency, it's just a different desire within the game. Beirus is the same way, as far as I know, and probably Nav and Crimson as well. In any case, if they wanted to win the game in the first place, I think they'd already have done it. They've had plenty of time, after all.))

((It's pretty hard to win this game:
1. Shards are eagerly consumed for upgrades on both sides of conflict => meager gains from kills and no practically no stash.
2. Very lengthy and difficult process of killing other mages (exstencive preparation, finding someone, weaving intricate spells and praying for good rolls).
3. Reaching the goal with team is fun, yet improbable (barring scenario of shard-feeding one mage, but who would do that?). And alone, mages are essentially glass cannons - even one unfortunate miscast can end career of a mage-hunter.

I've opted for world exploration and minion interactions instead. And now, I really need a minion healer, as result...))
((Well, actually, there's been a thing where people who upgrade themselves with shards are worth more shards when you kill them--I for example would probably be worth at least a couple extra if not a whole five extra on account of my self-enchanting into mastery of magic--so shards are becoming less of a limited and easily squanderable resource which is constantly diminishing at least as fast as it is rolling in and more of a treasure which builds up over time.))

((However, it's still possible for shards to leave the local EXP economy, so winning will be slow regardless. Plus, powerful magi who are worth extra shards present a VERY difficult obstacle to surmount, and that rule change was fairly recent anyway. In other words, don't be discouraged by the cirumstances, BlackHeart, but Sarrak has a quite valid point.))

((Welcome to platypus island. please don't make me bleed through my eyes. I just got the blood out of them.))
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:27 am »

((By the way, you can post an action for the turn your character is introduced. I recommend retconning your character submission post to make it easier for DG))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:19 pm »

Seize the opportunity to fire another disintegration ray.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: May 18, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »

((It is still possible for The Manipulator to not exist, or be completely apathetic.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:49 pm »

Turn 160

Greet the flying flamethrower with jets of water into tentacles. Several times, if needed.

When Kahel returned to the Jellyfish he noticed that it had light armor burns and only reminder of acid ball was tiny smoking puddles in sand. However, this did grant him an advantage of surprise. Kahel positioned himself, prepared his magic and launched a stream so weak that it failed to reach the jellyfish. Before he could remedy this failure by killing all witnesses, the Jellyfish turned and launched another spike at Kahel. His dodge attempt was interrupted when his burns flared with pain from movement, but his body chose that particular moment to turn ethereal, allowing Kahel to avoid consequences completely.

Ah-ha! perfect! This'll work great! I aughta get some extra force in with each strike, plus it'll be confusing as hell to defend against! Actual swordy swords are too mainstream anyway. But... It'd send the wrong message if I ran in sword drawn ready for a fight. I need something to make clear that I am prepared, but without looking actively threatening...
A-ha! I've got it!

Chorkinaan creates a scabbard out of nondescript physicality material to fit his swordaxe. (swax?) Shape modifications include: a strap of physicality material to fasten it to his body, and a small hook to hang the "shield" on. If all goes well, he then forms a couple (2) essences, sheathes his sword and hangs his shield while walking towards the gates to the cool tower.

((The physicality knuckles can go in a pocket or something. I'm loving this RTD.))

Chorkinaan called again upon the strange pseudo material that was the base of his creations, but this time it seemed to burst out uncontrollably. That was because it was exactly what was happening. Chorkinaan found himself bound in something that someone who had heard of belts, nets and armor but failed to grasp the principle behind the words and thought that they went really nicely together. It trapped Chorkinaan, ending his plans for moving anywhere almost as quickly as it took his balance.

Act One. Scene Three. Mista J. searches the castle for inhabitants(youthfully), and discovers the effect it has on his magic when it boosts his essences.

"Now wherever could you blokes be-up in a tree? Flying free, up in the air? Without a care? But no! Not all mages are air mages and with that I say-ONWARDS, ON THIS JOYFUL DAY! FEEL MAH YOUTH!!! DISCOVER MAH TRUTH, THA TRUTH OF MWA! To all my naysayers! I say ptah! For I have arrived! And I seek joy!"

Mista J. dances throughout the castle, searching for inhabitants, all the while humming a slightly infuriating tune, screaming about youth, and making a total of 4 essences.
Feed all the chaotic +1/+1 essences to the tome. +3 essences, as usual, unless something goes horribly wrong.

time for curses

Mistah J. spent no time admiring the Tower from outside and stepped inside to explore what interesting items might be inside. His strange walk carried him through the rooms as his strange shouts echoed through corridors and stairways. He wandered to the library, where strange humanoid creature was putting a leathery looking book back in a shelf. He traveled to the Council room which, few mages seemed to be using as a workshop. He paraded to a strange room right next to one with door suspiciously slightly open. There was a wizard inside, who, forewarned by Mistah J.'s songs and shouts had plenty of time to craft his spell. Singing and shouting ceased. Mistah J. could still speak, he was uninjured and his mind was clear. Clear of any rhymes, images and crazy shouts. What Mistah J. was now experiencing was an extremely severe Artist's Block.
It seems that 1000 eyes has damaged the trigger on the dakka cannon. I think I have a fix but it involves transferring the power of the cannon to myself and modifying it slightly.
You know, some boss monsters would have the decency not to break other people's stuff. Don't get on my bad side. Don't do it.

Skeliborn

Action:

Modied Transferral of Power:

Transfer the power of the dakka cannon (Dragon Breaker) to my hand so that it fires at enemies I point a blade at.
(Essentially, making it so that the kunai are summoned from around my blade instead of inside the barrell of the dakka cannon)

Make the dakka cannon invulnerable to magic attacks

Turn the red eyeball into electricity, this time. If i am being aimed, then enhance my dex by robbing electricity from the whatever eye that was aiming at me to myself.
If any (of the Bigholder's) eyes look my way, DOOOOODGE.
Summon a glass shard that constantly steals the Bigholder's luck.

The gargantuan Beholder began glowing blue. The blue light appeared at the bottom, then rose upwards until it reached the secondary eyes. Then, the glow subsided. Mages knew what that kind of behavior meant. Skeliborn proved exceptionally knowledgeable by creating a anti magic shell on the blade cannon.

Eterna also proved exceptionally knowledgeable, as when he saw red eyeball to rise upwards he immediately went on to electrocute it. The Red Eye split open and a shower of fluid fell upon the battlefield. This surprised Eterna, as the usual effects of his spells were somewhat more visible. This time, it would seem, flesh took it all.

Gambler conjured a colorful shard of glass. The Beholder seemed to had gained some luck in last few moments, and Gambler wanted to see if it would share. As he finished, the Red Eye seemingly burst open, spraying some clear liquid all over. It seemed that the shard had worked, but then the liquid fell upon him and everything around as a slimy rain. Gambler risked a breath and rubbed the shard. He was again wondering if it worked, because this smelled like napalm.

The Red Eye closed again, revealing scorched and torn parts caused by Eterna's lightning. It was hurt, quite a bit actually, but it could still heal from this. And the pesky mages below, wondering whether or not the Beholder would risk setting itself on fire to kill them would soon find out. They wouldn't be the only to discover the truth, as trio of skeletal scouts, recognizable by their light equipment (To say, none) and axes good for chopping and tearing, closed in and charged at the Beholder.
{Skeletal soldiers arrive next turn}.
{Battlefield and combatants covered in Napalm}
Spoiler: Boss Beholder (click to show/hide)

His ritual was charged; the time was now!
Soon, all will bask in the glory of Professor Jiksap's ultimate form!
...Or something like that.

Use all of my non-chaotic +POT-only essences and finish up this ritual!

Jiksap gripped all of the parts with his mind. He finally had enough power. There was a man walking around singing and shouting who had distracted him somewhat, but he pulled through and this would be his reward. And it would be good. Jiksap's dragonshards, his staff, fuel cells, crossbow and thaumic resonator fell towards him and fused with his watersuit and mechanical arm. Flash of light marked fusion of all the components, and Jiksap stood anew.

Traces of Dragonshard joined power cells with the rest of the suit. Thaumic trap rested easily on his back. The crossbow found its place on mechanical arm, and the staff whirred somewhere inside the mechanisms granting Jiksap even greater control. He felt faster, stronger, overall better. He now had might to truly do battle.
{IronMage suit, grants armor, crossbow(Auto reload), thaumic shield, water containment, +AllPhysStats.}

Summon a dove feather, and send one of my birds of to find a piece of wood,about palm sized
Make an essence

Seva, unsure of what to do as his prey disappeared in such a disturbing manner, opted for something bit more long term. There was a chance that Ilium would reappear. And as he waited, Seva conjured a feather of a dove, while one of the eagles fetched a palm sized piece of wood only slightly attached to the rest of the tree. Just as it arrived, the tree finally gave in and dropped on the ground leaving the Eagle with a palm sized piece of wood in its claws.

Create 3 essences and enter that door.

Cuberac focused himself, and carefully pulled on the handle. To his great surprise, the door actually opened and there were no traps beyond it. To his even greater surprise, after he walked through the door, a creature looking like a mannequin wearing a suit had came to life painted the door over with purple paint. No marks of the door remained a minute afterwards, not even a bulge where handle was supposed to be. Cuberac began reconsidering the "No traps on the door" theory.

Finish the ritual. Summon the tree.

James griped firmly onto the tree-house he had grown and pulled onto it with his magic. It was a grip beyond merely firm, and when the portal opened it pulled through more than just the treehouse. A small island of land sailed through, carrying not only the tree-house, but also all the dirt around its roots and few of the nearby plum trees.

Seize the opportunity to fire another disintegration ray.

Xom made good use of his opponent’s precarious position to blast him with raw magic. Bernardo cried out as his back warped into wounds, but it seemed that long years of using order magic left him with a bit of resistance. The wounds were certainly painful, but they did not look lethal. Yet the agitated ground refused to let go of Bernardo, leaving him writhing in pain and unable to return the favor.

Look at my surroundings.

{A new player! been a while since we had one of you}

The portal glowed once more, and through it entered Duritarium, the chosen of blood. He bore a fine ornamented and armored(decorative only, portal caused trouble otherwise) robe. He stood as a man of faith and integrity, two qualities nobody expected from a wizard.  His eyes scanned the surrounding lands, the mountains to the north, water to the east, forests to the south and eldritch looking tower to the west. The Tower caught his eye, as buildings constructed from gloom and shadows and magic tend to do.  The glowing purple walls were especially noticeable under the perpetual storm clouds, dimming only at the very top, just below the glowing, spinning magical circles.

{If you want a diferent color then tell me. I just picked one that looked most like blood to me.}

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 160 New players and Sucessful rituals
« Reply #5247 on: May 18, 2016, 04:29:49 pm »

PM's are being processed.

EDDIT: Or rather will be processed tomorow.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:02:39 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 160 New players and Sucessful rituals
« Reply #5248 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:13 pm »

Head towards the tower.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 160 BEHOLD MISTA J.
« Reply #5249 on: May 18, 2016, 05:03:07 pm »

Act One. Scene Four. Mista J. discovers the absolute curse that is artist's block...

"Oh. Goodness."

Mista J...walks off. Uncaring. Unmotivated. Unfulfilled. He continues to explore the castle, however, in search of his muse. No essences.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 506