Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163911 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 164 New trouble and New Allies
« Reply #5415 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:12 pm »

((The Meta-gaming from this entire boss battle has been insane. If this keeps up pretty soon meta-mages will become more powerful than anyone else here. For that matter, It will only be a matter of time until we see Meta-Man telaport down from the sky and start using a meta-buster. Granted. given that the meta has mostly brought lots of allies, I'm not complaining.))

((A significant part of metagaming is actually handwaved becauseyou are all wizards. The map is a representation of what all wizards see when they use a maping spell that also tracks magic. Sending messages via magic is actually not all that complicated. A response to an attack before the attack actually happens can be done because they were not being sane sneaky and actually shouted the spellwords through the entire casting of a spell.

When it comes to stuff people are really not suposed to know about, like traps, I roll a D10 to see how exactly people will find the trap.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:40 pm »

The map is a representation of what all wizards see when they use a maping spell that also tracks magic.

((So... To hunt a mage, one must simply go to the closest revealed magic source, repeat if needed? Okay.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: June 14, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »

((It is quite possible to hide, in which case the map shows either nothing or the last known position, neither of which is very helpfull.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:08 pm »

((It is quite possible to hide, in which case the map shows either nothing or the last known position, neither of which is very helpfull.))
((It may be possible to hide in theory but in reality if a mage tries to track a specific mage hard enough they will never fail (Unless they die)
Some well known common ways this can be/has been done includes:
-telaportation spells/rituals (Summoning)
-a homing spell (fairly easy to adapt to most affinities)
-and my personal favourite, Jase's blind luck aether assassination of Marcus (Aether)))

((As for the argument that a mage can every turn use a concealation magic, eventually, they will fail a luck role while the tracker gets 10/10 spell off (10/10 being exaggeration but it makes my point)))
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:50:22 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: June 14, 2016, 09:56:04 pm »

((Ah... but what if you have an enchantment that makes others forget about you before they even begin to search?

That doesn't actually exist, just so you know. On the other hand... I am the one who shaped the tower's mindwipe field.))

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: June 15, 2016, 09:37:10 am »

Ride the T-Rex as it and the raptors track down Jiksap. Craft 3 essences.

(Tyrannosaurus rex has amazing 3-D sense of smell, so I should find Jiksap pretty rapidly.)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: June 15, 2016, 07:17:40 pm »

((Now then. I have a suggestion to make: non-human(as in, other species) players.))

((Obviously, there would be some potential for abuse if non-human characters were allowed. Hence, I also propose two rules to balance this out:
1. Bonuses from being said species must be less than or equal to the penalties from being said species.
2. No absurd minmaxing via species. Normal minmaxing tolerable. Minmaxing such that you can blow up the Tower with one spell on your third turn in... no.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: June 16, 2016, 12:36:48 pm »

((Now then. I have a suggestion to make: non-human(as in, other species) players.))

((Obviously, there would be some potential for abuse if non-human characters were allowed. Hence, I also propose two rules to balance this out:
1. Bonuses from being said species must be less than or equal to the penalties from being said species.
2. No absurd minmaxing via species. Normal minmaxing tolerable. Minmaxing such that you can blow up the Tower with one spell on your third turn in... no.))
Eh, I'd say that having a cosmetically different species that isn't different from humanity statistically is fine, but getting extra stat trades would give an unfair advantage to players who join after the rule-change.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: June 16, 2016, 01:06:58 pm »

Ugh... Is that all I'm able to accomplish? Damn... I'm becoming nothing more than a pest in this battle. PM action
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: June 16, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »

Eh, I'd say that having a cosmetically different species that isn't different from humanity statistically is fine, but getting extra stat trades would give an unfair advantage to players who join after the rule-change.
((This.))
Summon a glass crystal of purification. Dodge any incoming attacks, and hope it (the crystal) works.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:52:36 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:43 am »

Block off all suit air ventilation to stop gas from entering. Water can hold enough oxygen for a while.

Fire at the main eye!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:23 pm »

Turn 165

Act One. Scene Eight. Oh dear.

"Ugh."

Mista J. walked off. This wasn't helping. He went... somewhere random in the castle. No essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mista J. walked out of the tavern and began pacing empty corridors of the Tower. He wasn't going anywhere and the Tower obliged, sending unused rooms and abandoned corridors his way. It was an endless labyrinth that led nowhere, a reflection of Mista's thoughts.

Wheezing from exertion, yet once again feeling superior to the world, as any proper mage should, Kahel carefully examined the extent of damage his body took in such short frame of time. Ideally, he should reach James... Yet healer mage could have wandered somewhere to experiment. So, for now his way led to the eldritch tower from the other world. Hopefully, regeneration field still worked.

Loot oil/shards, if possible. Go to the tower.

Kahel, unlike someone sane and unimpressive in their character, chose to ignore the saltwater burning into his wounds in favor of attempting to loot his dead enemy. Balls of oil separated from the water's surface and began orbiting around Kahel as he moved towards the Tower by his astounding force of will. Even as wounded as he was, Kahel managed to reach the Tower without ever stopping his brisk jog, only allowing himself to collapse on the ground after he found out that the gates were closed and locked.

From the tower, to the mountains.

Duritarium looked at the tower again, but chose against it. There were other interesting places around here. Like the mountains right over there. The climb was swift, though a bit tiring, yet the view was spectacular. Several wizards were battling against a huge monstrosity and some skeletons were running towards the battle for some unknown purpose. But something else caught Duritarium's attention. There was a red gleam in the rock next to him, seemingly a split geode that contained rubies. But Duritarium was one of few who knew well the difference between rubies and bloodstones, and this was a rarer treasure than just precious stones.

Try more analysis, but more carefully.

Magus N.A. delved once more into the wall before him, metaphorically of course. Magic within was no more easily explained in aether terms than before, and even though Magus knew what to expect this time it was no easier. The strands of aether seemed to extend towards both past and the future, glossing over items and events seemingly entirely at random. Could it be just an absurdly elaborate decoration?

Try again to make a phoenix feather, use a +1/+1 essence

(Did I find a seed last turn?)

{*rolls* Yes, you found some nondescript plant seeds.}

Seva again picked up the feather and began pouring power into it. The feather promptly caught fire. Yet it was not destroyed by the fire, it burned eternally with a bright yellow flame. Seva had succeeded.

Try to head toward a meeting area, and create another Generic cube.

Cuberac took another right turn and emerged into the main hall; doors open to the courtyard revealing empty space. The spell to summon a generic cube also seemed to content to laugh at him, as what appeared before Cuberac was volleyball sized green sphere.

"I thought the green eye emits acid. Hmm..."
Drain electricity from anyone that shoots the cannon at(or if no one did, just at the Green eye instead) to the cannon.
Well that doesn't look good. I should probably go help them fight that thing. There's always some big monster to fight, eh?

Throw my healing gas grenade to counteract the poison.
Determine who needs healing the most and heal them, 3 spells.

Skelliborn

Action:
Enchant the dakka-cannon to give a permanent, stackable cmp bonus to the members of toam using the magical energy it collects from its targets.

Ride the T-Rex as it and the raptors track down Jiksap. Craft 3 essences.

(Tyrannosaurus rex has amazing 3-D sense of smell, so I should find Jiksap pretty rapidly.)
Summon a glass crystal of purification. Dodge any incoming attacks, and hope it (the crystal) works.
Block off all suit air ventilation to stop gas from entering. Water can hold enough oxygen for a while.

Fire at the main eye!

The great battle between mages and Bigholder continued. But it continued in unexpected twists and turns. Eterna continued his electricity draining attempts, but lightning curved in the air and turned against Eterna, searing his hands and paralyzing him. James looked at him, but his gaze swiftly shifted over towards Gambler themed glazed steak. His injuries were astoundingly complex and James had to take great care to not injure him further. Finally, he opted to start off with removing glass that glazed Gambler. It moved off easily without leaving any further injuries and Gambler's healing ring was finally able to do proper work. Further magic was proving difficult due to poison that surrounded James, so he tossed off a healing grenade. The gas within failed to make the poison hurt less but it did deal with some of the damage. Gambler joined in on the anti-poison effort by conjuring up a purifying glass crystal, which was enough to reduce the poison levels around him to something manageable by the healing gas.

Skeliborn was also having trouble with his spells, but his results were less self-destructive than Eterna's. His spell merely fell apart with no further damage. The true hero of the battle was Jiksap. Enclosed in his suit and thus safe from poison, he waited for the Bigholder to shift into the dakka-cannon's aim patiently. Obligingly, the Bigholder moved a bit, possibly to shake off the skeletons that were climbing it, which placed the main eye right into the crosshairs of the cannon. The results were devastating. Large portions of the eye turned dark as magic and electricity were drained from them. Blades stuck in the eye worked as antennas, sending off discharges of power at random. Bigholder began trashing around, causing lake water to flow onto the shores in waves. It had definitely felt this one. Bob T. Baker arrived just in time to see the extent of pain the injuries caused to the creature.

But the injuries were not great enough to down the beast. Green eye opened again and breathed out a new dose of poison, increasing the concentration and returning the danger to the levels it was before James tossed the healing grenade. Everyone besides Jiksap and the skeletons began choking on the poisonous fumes. The skeletons were having some trouble holding on as Bigholder began trashing about but resumed their climb once it calmed down. Few skeletons with bows ran over to the battlefield and began shooting arrows at the Beholder.

{Everyone (except Jiksap) gains 2 stacks of Poison.}
{Gambler is no longer glass coated.}
{Eterna is paralyzed, 1 turn}

Spoiler: Boss Beholder (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 165 Nat 10
« Reply #5427 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »

I am finally back! (Two days late but finally!)
The finals are over so I should be able to return to twice per week updates. I suppose that would place the next turn sometime this weekend and the next one after that on Wednesday/Thursday.

Also, I created a quicktopic for game suggestions. This is for anonymous suggestions/opinions.
http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/SKx6RqwLhPHh
It is possibly unnecessary but I have found that anons tend to be freer about voicing their thoughts. It also allows for people to present an opinion without any other baggage attached, negative or positive.
I'm making this since I have noticed some players flaking off the game and I want to know why.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 165: Behold... mista... j.
« Reply #5428 on: June 21, 2016, 08:18:38 pm »

Act One. Scene Nine. Perhaps gone forever?

"..."

Mista J., devastated by the loss of his muse and his ever-failing efforts to find it, collapsed onto the floor, and tried to sleep. He had nothing left.
~~~
I am finally back! (Two days late but finally!)
The finals are over so I should be able to return to twice per week updates. I suppose that would place the next turn sometime this weekend and the next one after that on Wednesday/Thursday.
Wondrous!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

_Shinju_

• Bay Watcher
  • I drink and I forget things
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 165 Nat 10
« Reply #5429 on: June 22, 2016, 09:55:20 am »

Make the weight of the daka cannon absent
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 506