Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181069 times)

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 240 Friends separated
« Reply #7170 on: April 24, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

try to activate the emerald by giving it power with my chaotic +2/+2 essence

I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 240 Friends separated
« Reply #7171 on: April 24, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »

Turn 241

3 essences

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skeliborn continues gathering power.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Looks like that's working."

3 essences while mining continues.

Doktor gathered some more power while the bots continued their mining. Soon, a small vein of silver was struck.

Head into the snow. See if I can enter the colder tiles now.

Cuberac headed out towards the snow, but paused on the chilly tundra. It was cold, yes, but it was easily bearable. Hopefully, the colder parts would not feel much worse.

One last try at the dish. 2 +1/+1 essences. If it succeeds, pour the luck in. Otherwise, two essences.

Gambler tried one last time to conjure a glass dish and finally managed. Sure, maybe it was large enough to be in a lighthouse, but it was not too heavy to carry and it could be used for what he wanted, even if liquid luck only covered two inches from the center. It might have been luck that he finally succeeded, and considering essences used, it probably was.

Damn, that was tricky. I suppose that's what I get for attempting mechanization without the proper schools of magic ready. Now, let's see here...

Time to make the magic device actually do something! Add a small aura at the back of the funnel-input which cancels any of my physicality enchantments on liquids poured through. (So that, say for example, if I enchanted some flowing poison to gravitate directly into the funnel, it would then return to normal gravity and drop into the basin.) Afterwards create a tripod mount or something so the device can just be stood up on its own, with the tap accessible.

Chorkinaan conjured a tripod to hold up his device which worked out far better than the aura, it was practically perfect for the job. This made the failure that was the aura just that much more apparent. It hadn't evaporated yet, but with how weak it was there wasn't much difference.

try to activate the emerald by giving it power with my chaotic +2/+2 essence

Seva decided that it was time for the wizardly scientific method, which is to say, magic at it and see what happens. In this particular case, the results were quite easy to interpret, as the magic was soon expelled out of the emerald in a form of a bird shaped leaf. It fell into the mud where it floated on top like a lily.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 241 More exploration and preparation
« Reply #7172 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »

PM's come tomorrow.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »

Easy, easy...

Pour more magic into the aura, try and get it working better and more permanently.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: April 24, 2017, 05:44:01 pm »

Doktor Diabolical:

"Aha! Wonderful. Excellent for circuits. Now then..."

The bots Doktor currently has aren't suited to transporting ore. Using 2 +1 POT essences and 2 +1/+1 essences, Doktor Diabolical creates(-1) a large(-1) hauling(-1 or 0 for simplicity) bot. Miner bot digs out the vein, prospector locates new ores, Hauler brings dug out ore next to factory.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: April 25, 2017, 02:17:40 pm »

Head northwest, form 2 essences.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: April 25, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »

Place the knife and dish at other sacrifice points in the ritual circle made earlier. Place the stiletto at the focal point. Ensure the ritual luck coin is active.
Then, begin the ritual with Skelliborn, accepting any modifications or sacrifices:
>Grant the stiletto the animate modifier, and harden the glass that it is composed of.
>Place the Needle of Misfortune's effect onto the stiletto permanently, without the one use limit. Have it channel the removed luck into the caster for future use, if that does not impact the primary purpose.
Use 5 +1/+1 essences.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: April 26, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »

Assist in the ritual
Essences:
+1 cmp

Sacrifices:
Copper shortsword
Steel broadsword(Large)
Knife
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: April 26, 2017, 07:23:39 pm »

send the treasure bird to loom for more treasure, then try to use the emerald to make essences
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: April 27, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »

Turn 242

Easy, easy...

Pour more magic into the aura, try and get it working better and more permanently.

Chorkinaan added more magic into the aura, and since it's power was going to be finite anyways, added a barrier that stopped stuff from moving until it was dispelled. Now it would work and do so with less nasty surprises.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Aha! Wonderful. Excellent for circuits. Now then..."

The bots Doktor currently has aren't suited to transporting ore. Using 2 +1 POT essences and 2 +1/+1 essences, Doktor Diabolical creates(-1) a large(-1) hauling(-1 or 0 for simplicity) bot. Miner bot digs out the vein, prospector locates new ores, Hauler brings dug out ore next to factory.

Doktor, not willing to use a lot of effort for a hauler, conjured a bot for transferring raw materials from miners to factory wholesale. Building from parts was the safer and more effective option, but this was not something important. Besides, it could be replaced easily once factory gathered enough material for making bots. Soon, first delivery of silver was sent into the factory.

Head northwest, form 2 essences.

Cuberac continued his travel towards the frozen lands and soon found himself stopped by the snow.It didin't feel too cold with his improved heating cube, but snow was no less clogging and landmarks were no more visible.

Place the knife and dish at other sacrifice points in the ritual circle made earlier. Place the stiletto at the focal point. Ensure the ritual luck coin is active.
Then, begin the ritual with Skelliborn, accepting any modifications or sacrifices:
>Grant the stiletto the animate modifier, and harden the glass that it is composed of.
>Place the Needle of Misfortune's effect onto the stiletto permanently, without the one use limit. Have it channel the removed luck into the caster for future use, if that does not impact the primary purpose.
Use 5 +1/+1 essences.

Assist in the ritual
Essences:
+1 cmp

Sacrifices:
Copper shortsword
Steel broadsword(Large)
Knife

The Ritual began dangerously, as the liquid luck potion was instantly consumed by the flames, but also swiftly, as the ritual circle began drawing in extra power. It drew in power seemingly randomly, possibly due to nature of its making, but fortune was something Gambler had in spades. Almost instantly stiletto began moving around but the power was still weaving around it. There was a fair amount of work left, but the progress could had been seen more clearly due to an actual item being used as a target, and the progress was good.

send the treasure bird to loom for more treasure, then try to use the emerald to make essences

Seva sent off the treasure bird, but it seemed to have some trouble finding stuff over the mud. There probably still was some magic in it to block treasure bird's senses. The gem consistently transformed magic into plant magic but capturing and harvesting that magic proved impossible. It was very nearly raw magic, and Seva had no knowledge how to deal with that.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:28:20 pm by DreamerGhost »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 242 Jolly cooperation
« Reply #7180 on: April 27, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »

There is a single action PM in the inbox, I'll be waiting until tomorrow for more.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: April 27, 2017, 10:15:20 pm »

((The glass bowl with luck, the knife I pilfered a while back, and the luck potion, if I recall.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: April 28, 2017, 10:25:59 am »

Try to move north. Form 2 essences.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: April 28, 2017, 01:22:33 pm »

Ah crap, I got distracted. Might as well take the opportunity to recharge.

form 3 essences, try to ascertain how long that disenchanting field is going to last. (perhaps with a quick probe?)
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: April 28, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »

The ritual has been edited in
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 506