Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1182445 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 250 Timebreaking and Egyptian traps
« Reply #7305 on: July 02, 2017, 08:20:28 pm »

Turn 251

Spend a bit more time in the library. Pity I don't have all the time in universe, though. 4 essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ao continued his tour through the library, searching for something else to catch his interest. He did not need to look long, his eyes soon found themselves attracted to a tome with the distinguished looks of something written on human skin in human blood. It could be that the whole book was made from the same guy, especially if regenerating magic was involved. It mattered little, as Ao was more interested in contents within. And what contents they were, instructions detailing how to safely bind a malevolent spirit to one's blood, creating an extremely vicious guardian hiding just beneath the skin.

Switch to phoenix form, fire breath on the mud to dry it, making it harder for the alligator golems to move, crystal phoenix helps with this

Flames mixed with steam as Seva blasted mud with his fiery breath. Neither bothered him, although both impeded sight somewhat. At last, when both subsided, Seva looked over the situation again. One alligator managed to rise above the mud and was standing firmly. Another had its legs trapped, but was still capable of biting anything nearby. The rest were buried beneath hardened mud and weren't moving. Both golems that were still mobile, however, seemed to be empowered by the heat, as they became faster, fast enough for the free alligator to surprise Seva and latch on to his one remaining claw. Stone teeth cracked as they were forced by mighty jaws to grind against nails just as hard. It would take some impressive force to pry it away now.

((Time shenanigans, eh? One of these days I'm going to play a Time mage...))

Doktor Diabolical:

"Excellent!"

Mining continues. Guarding continues. Doktor Diabolical makes 3 essences in preparation for making another robot.

Doktor watched over his miner bot as it dug up more of the same. It was getting a bit idyllic, and he had a feeling it wouldn't last. Best case scenario, this place would run out of resources to mine. Worst case, well, there were all kinds of things that could be found beneath the earth.

Try going around the wolf.

If that doesn't work, send my bladeswarm at it.

If it does, move away from the cave.

{Never did come back to edit this in... Apologies.}

The wolf was a problem, one compounded by the direction it was facing. But that could be fixed. With some swift and precise manipulation of one of Cuberac's cubes,  the wolf was distracted chasing after the tiny thing, leaving the path clear for Cuberac. He swiftly left the cave, and pulled the cube through some snow piles to shake off the wolf. With both plans working out pretty much flawlessly, Cuberac left while wolf was still digging through the snow.

Continue the ritual.

Redrum continued pouring power into his creation. Without him forcing it, the flow slowed down to a fairly small and unsatisfying trickle. Well, he didn't need all that much more, but this was still annoying.

Onward into the tower. 3 essences
Accompany him. Keep an eye on the mage-seeing orb and watch for further meddling. If there are skeletons or other enemies, aim for fast strikes on as many as possible.

Skeliborn and Gambler entered the tower of gems and bone and found it to be amazingly empty. There were no skeletons anywhere, as if the whole place was abandoned. It might had had something to do with Viznor leaving just now, but it mattered not. What did mater, was that both mages were free to explore wherever they wished, at least for now. There was a passage down below, as well as few corridors leading deeper into the tower. But there was also a gate with a lock behind which laid stairs leading upwards. The lock was fairly impressive, but as Gambler noticed, hinges holding up the gates were entirely unprotected. The whole thing could be just lifted away.

Modify the tiny bottle so that if it breaks, any of my enchantments on its formerly-contained liquids are cancelled, effectively creating a poison grenade.

Removing an enchantment with which you are intimately familiar with, such as ones a mage has made himself is far easier. Unfortunately, it is not so easy as to be achieved with practically zero magic, which is why when Chorkinaan attempted to finish his poison bomb, the enchantment did not last five seconds. It could had been worse, it could had exploded. And with this thought, the magic released a bit, just enough for few drops to escape the bottle and dry on the cork, making it unremovable. Just great.

Keep the chest too if it's not too heavy.
Continue traveling and searching for interesting things or people (including other mages).
Summoning roulette if I don't find anything.

Edit: Oh yeah and strap the smoke torch to my coral staff, using my book of crafts for instructions. I only have so many hands. Strap it in such a way that I can quickly change grips to activate or deactivate it.

The box proved to be rather heavy, and more importantly, cumbersome, so James left it where it was. Unfortunately, before he could finish working his new loot into the usual gear, the consequences from opening the box caught up. It looked somewhat like a statue, if the statue was bleeding smoke from several cracks and the smoke had eyes. So a really creepy statue, or as James celestial knowledge identified it, a lesser angel. It was already pulling out its combat form, so negotiating out was unlikely.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 251 Back again
« Reply #7306 on: July 02, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »

Blech. I am done with actual grades part of the university for the semester, but there is still paperwork to do. The result is this half done update, without PM's, adding new characters or writing a rather important message concerning rules change. All of those should come tomorrow, but for today you guys only get the wordy confirmation that I live still.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: July 03, 2017, 07:24:40 am »

Consult with Master Hepheastus for directions to wherever he wants me to go (To achieve whatever I'm supposed to achieve in the tower).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:49:15 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: July 03, 2017, 02:42:05 pm »

Move one tile west. Form 2 essences.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:43 pm »

Warning
Young gods have arrived

There are many gods with well defined domains, old gods that have been around for untold millennia. Their worshiper bases unassailable, their relics beyond value, their might unquestionable. But there are also young gods, those who have recently formed or ascended, those without names, those that can still be killed. Their world is vicious and they do not like competition. And they have just found your games of ascension.

The realm of mortals is beneath divine sight, the gods cannot see the reality clearly. Unfortunately, they are gathering in increasing numbers and with their power, aiming is optional. As bolts of purifying fire fall from above, can you race destruction, claim your throne above and bring the battle to their level?

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Endgame has been reached. I will still allow new players to enter, but be aware that game will be ending fairly soon. If you still want in, write so in thread and I'll add you.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: July 03, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »

((It is a good time to die, indeed. Pity I was not able to complete a ritual or raise some minions for this. Double pity I won't be able to. Heh.))

Hearing an announcement that torn into the very matter of reality around him, Ao couldn't help but chuckle. What he was saying about not having all the time in the world just a few minutes ago? Yeah. Now he had even less.

"It should be an interesting conclusion to my research. But I'm still not fully prepared for the battle. Hm..."

If I have what is needed for spirit binding - start right now, using Chaotic essences to get +5/+5. If I do not or everything goes well - endurance buff with same amount of Chaotic essences. If it also goes well, quickly search for fencing book before wandering outside.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: July 03, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »

Doktor Diabolical:

"Ah... well, that's a problem. Guess I'll have to begin plan omega early, then."

Doktor Diabolical creates a flamethrower robot that obeys his orders using a +1 POT essence and 3 +1/+1 essences. Afterwards, he makes 2 essences. Mining and whatnot continues.

((Also, the hauler bot isn't listed in the doc? Also, ATHATH has two living characters listed in the doc?))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: July 03, 2017, 09:33:04 pm »

((I... fuck.

I don't want to mince words here, but I think I'm going to end up rambling. It's a bit hard to express what I'm feeling.

I'm sorry to see this one go. I think it's the first real game I joined after coming to Bay12, and it's kinda been here through thick and thin. It's meant more to me than it probably should've. So thanks for that, DG.

I don't begrudge the ending, and I don't want to make you feel guilty about it. All good things must come to an end, and GMing is one gift that'll always be rescinded. But I do want you to know that this game has been amazing, and I appreciate every bit of work you've put into it.

-----------

I did some searches, checked my post history. I posted Viznor's character sheet on May 25, 2015. He stepped onto Duck Island on turn 86, meaning that he's existed for 166 turns, give or take. RtM was the second Bay12 game I joined, after a short-lived Perplexicon test.

Barring one thing I know might happen in the coming turns, I'm pretty sure those 166 turns have made Viznor the strongest mage out there. He's going to go out in a blaze of glory.

100 shards is, I think, too much to hope for. But I'm going to have some fun, and then I'm going to try and send him back where he came from. Best of luck to everyone, whether they're my opponent or ally.))

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: July 03, 2017, 09:48:10 pm »

((Oh well. I don't think I can do much, but I can try. I'll edit my action into here after I find out what my exact situation on entering is.))

Get to the tower.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:55:47 pm by Rautherdir »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: July 03, 2017, 10:42:01 pm »

((umm is it public knowledge who ascended? If it isn't then I would still request that you say who ascended on the final turn when it doesn't matter anyways))

Edit: Can we live if we make it to the duck and have proper equipment
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:48:31 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: July 03, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »

Message to all mages. As the end of this competition draws near, I believe that I may have derived a way for every mage here to ascended without the need to kill a single competitor or or creature.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: July 04, 2017, 01:13:39 am »

"No... NO! I STILL NEED MORE TIME! I HAVE SO MUCH PLANNED! IT CANNOT END LIKE THIS!"

((OOC Note: I pretty much have the same sentiment as Whisperling, actually.))

Message to all mages. As the end of this competition draws near, I believe that I may have derived a way for every mage here to ascended without the need to kill a single competitor or or creature.
And that is...?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: July 04, 2017, 01:29:03 am »

Say... DG, how many shards is a god worth?

Well, if you're all gonna die on your own, I won't get to get the satisfaction of killing/defeating you myself, so I should probably try to save us. I suppose that your praise/respect will have to do. Plus, killing gods will be fun.

Turn the lake into a giant Mirror of Opposition, using the font of magic within it to fuel the transformation. Use 5 normal essences and/or a ritual to do this, if necessary. Whatever I do, DON'T look at the lake while/after I enchant it.

Oh, and give my blade to Skelliborn or someone for safekeeping. I wouldn't want it to cause an, ah, accident.

Also, make an essence. Head back to the tower, if I can.

Whisperling, I need you/Viznor to use your Knowledge and Binding affinities to draw the attentions of the gods to the lake (AFTER I finish enchanting it, of course). Although the newly created mirror-deities might also hate us, they should hate their "real" counterparts more, which should buy us some time.

James, start working on a portal to get us the heck outta here. Maybe take us to some other dimension or world or something. I dunno.

Redrum, I need you to start working on a ritual to reanimate the gods that are about to die under your control. Work with Viznor and his Binding affinity if necessary.

Beirus, turn your accursed tower into something useful, like a cannon or a (better) power amplifier or something. Perhaps, once this is all over, we can have a mage-duel or something. We'll work that stuff out when we come to it.

Gambler, try to make the missiles hit stuff that isn't important or miss the island entirely with a shield of luck or something.

Skelliborn, work on your godhood thing. Also, please stabilize my sword for me. It could very well blow us all up if we're not careful.

The rest of you, find more fonts of magic and bring them back to the rest of us. They will be essential to our survival.

Good luck and godspeed, gentlemen.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:55:17 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: July 04, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »

As of current I have two possible plans. Granted, both of them are based upon magic theory and I can't guarantee that either plan will work but I will try my best to explain why it might possibly work.

My first idea is this, Pantheon Ascent. At present, each individual mage has inner power with the strength of 5 soul shards or more in addition to some possessing crystallized soul shards that have been collected during the course of this competition.

I believe that in the old days, the great pantheons rose when a group of Magi pooled their collective power to essentially gain group status as gods and goddesses.
Surely this method could be repeated. Even today, we see evidence of this method through its less potent cousins, rituals and joint castings.

Perhaps if we pool our souls together into a group pool of 100 shards worth, we may be able to ascend as a new Pantheon.

My second method is much more dangerous and could probably disturb causality. It amounts to hunting down versions of yourself from other time lines from shortly after you joined the game within that time line and collecting the soul shards from your less fortunate selves.

To all who are interested, meet me at the Tower. It's time to win this game.

Travel to the tower.
3 Essences
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:13:21 pm by star2wars3 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: July 04, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »

"Owww, my head. Not so loud!"
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 506