Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181177 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 258 Trust and backstabbing
« Reply #7440 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:29 am »

Oh Urgh, you do realize that your attacking The Order of Arcane Magic, right? And we tend to protect our own.

Don't make me make another Dakka-cannon just for you...

Surrender now and we'll make your death quicker and less painful.

"Why would I want to die faster? Whatever pitiful torture attempts you mortals could attempt would pale in comparison to what the forces of the Hells would do to me should I fail."

"But your offer amuses me- how would you have executed me if I had accepted your surrender terms?"
Had you surrendered I would have given you the opportunity to die a more honorable death by allowing you to commit seppuku.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: August 01, 2017, 04:50:15 pm »

Oh Urgh, you do realize that your attacking The Order of Arcane Magic, right? And we tend to protect our own.

Don't make me make another Dakka-cannon just for you...

Surrender now and we'll make your death quicker and less painful.

"Why would I want to die faster? Whatever pitiful torture attempts you mortals could attempt would pale in comparison to what the forces of the Hells would do to me should I fail."

"But your offer amuses me- how would you have executed me if I had accepted your surrender terms?"
Had you surrendered I would have given you the opportunity to die a more honorable death by allowing you to commit seppuku.
"You would have given me a sword? You really don't learn, do you? I mean, I guess it's not that dangerous, considering that you are a sword mage and all, but I probably could have come up with some way to get around that."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:48 pm »

Turn 259

Investigate the green river, follow it to its source

Seva flew down closer to the ground and to the green river flowing from the forest. He did not need to follow it for long, soon he found a pedestal of stone upon which grew a colossal lotus. From the lotus flowed the green that made up the river, splitting four ways to make four rivers. But that was of little importance compared to what else was happening. Creatures of the forest were moving against the green currents, traveling towards the Lotus. Once they reached the stone pedestal they vanished to places unknown.

Create a cubic blast around me using a chaotic +2/+1. Return to bashing Bob.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cuberac focused his power and released it in a blast. The cube swarms were sent in a frenzy, spinning around at absurd speeds. Bob himself didn't get hit by anything more than ground sent up by cratered cubes, but T-rex was struck straight in the temple and fell to the ground. Unfortunately for Bob and luckily for Cuberac, T-rex fell on the other dinosaurs, pinning them down. This was enough to send Bob into frenzy, and Cuberac was forced to roll aside continuously while dodging Bob's attempts to stab him with his claws.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Excellent. Mostly."

Have the factory convert the power armor parts, the blunderbuss, the flamethrower bot, and the bicycle into power armor for Doktor Diabolical. Hopefully with flamethrower and railgun weaponry. Also make 3 essences.

For the first time in years, Doktor had a thought that perhaps things don't always just work out into something coherent. The armor was a mess. Systems were stealing power from each other and leading it to dead ends that threw sparks. Three valves were leaking fuel. The entire thing looked like it was either missing something to bind it all together or had too many things smashed into it already. Doktor would have to decide which it was and start fixing.

Turn Urgh into shreds using my full blade arsenal (not including blade mail). It's time for the Athath Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Direct my celestial wolf to attack the demon, summon an angelic wolf using all essences and both lesser and greater blood power.
"Sorry everyone. Looks like we'll have to try again. Without any traitors this time."
Grip my new smokescreen torch to protect from fireballs and ambush Urghe.

Dragon shout/toss/order Grundar to toss that mage into the portal. Use whatever plant energy is left that isn't in the seeds to increase the POT of my dragon shout. Then pull out the omnicube frame to close the portal and turn it into a shield.

Make sure to get the trees seeds and keep them safe after.

((Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.))
If the Ilithid attacks, have the stiletto hit it in hatchet form. If it doesn't attack, have the stiletto attack Urghe instead.
Use the spell reflection shield to block any magical attacks, focusing them towards Urghe, and throw one of the vials of pollen in his face.

"It was inevitable."

Go and murder demons with sword. It might have an interesting effect on extradimensional flesh.

((I'd also appreciate retroactive spell casting - want to see if my bones endure magic first.))
Doo bee doo bee doo, secret pm stuff yeah!

Spoiler: Retroactive Ao casting (click to show/hide)

Ilithid ghost rushed towards Gambler who raised a glass hatchet in defense. Paltry though it seemed, it coursed with terrible magic. Gambler waited as his foe approached, then struck it away in a swift motion. Or so he expected to do. The ghost was struck, and it's ectoplasm withered into nothingness around the wound, but there was no stopping the wraith's motions, it dove towards the gambler and then into him, disappearing into his flesh. Just a few steps away, Ao rushed the shadow demon, sword in hand. With a wide swing it severed the demon in two at the waist. Demon seemed to find this hilarious, but grew confused as it noticed that the shadows were not reconnecting. Angered, it threw a fireball upwards where it unfolded into a portal.

From the portal fell a flask with will-o-wisps whirling inside. There was little time to examine it as it soon shattered, releasing a burst of light and sound. Ao and Urghe were effectively blinded, the rest of the mages managing to shield their eyes in time. But none shielded their ears and deafening silence descended on the battlefield, with nobody able to hear a word. The portal also released a sword, a cutlass, floating in the air and coated with poison. Imediatelly, it flew towards Ao who was too dazed to react. It struck him straight in the chest, but failed to penetrate deeply through scales and thick skin. The cut was minor, but the poison that entered his system wasn't.

Skeliborn did not care much for the demonic minions, he knew who to blame and how to blame. The proper method was stabbing with two swords at a time, which he did. Vortex bane in one hand and wind blade in the other, he slashed as Urghe. Not too strongly, as he knew not what traps the traitor had prepared, but he need not to worry as both blades drew blood. Vortex bane separated three fingers off Urghe's left hand while wind blade sliced to the ribs on the right side.

James was more cautious than his compatriots and gripped his newest acquisition to provide a smoke screen against the fireballs. Smoke poured over the battlefield, but apparently the shadow demon was waiting for just such a thing. It dived into the smoke disappearing from sight of other mages, but more worryingly, vanishing from Jame's sight as well. That was worrying, and so James rushed to the next part of his plan before something happened. He gathered wind in his lungs and ran towards Urghe. Skeliborn saw something approaching through the smoke and wisely decided to move back just enough for James to be able to work safely. James released his breath and with it, the power of dragons. The blast of air picked Urghe up and tossed him through the portal. He grabbed onto the glass edges formed from omnicube but the force was too great. He disappeared in black flames, and to make sure he was never seen again, James tapped the glass in a few secret places that folded it back into a cube again. The portal, now unsupported, folded up, although the black flames refused to leave and remained hanging in the air above the cube.

Seeing that enemies were no longer present, Sharrin decided to delay his potentially crippling summoning.

Urghe rose from the ground, using one of the broken pieces of wood to help himself up. There was no lack of them after he had smashed through that fence and into the cabbage field protected by the fence. The portal winked out of existence just in time for him to see it happening. Damn, but that blast was strong. He looked around some more. There was the cabbage field he flew into, there was a dirt road to the field, a small house at the end of the road. There were some trees nearby, chestnuts it seemed. There seemed to be nothing moving anywhere though, nobody to notice his crash. His hands hurt, one hurt because it lacked three fingers but the other was uninjured, wasn't it? He dropped the piece of wood, crutch no longer necessary and looked at his hand. A chunk of flesh was just gone. He looked at the piece of wood again. Perfectly camouflaged mouth filled with teeth was munching on a piece of meat that was just recently attached to his hand. It swallowed and then it let out a high pitched squeal. The fence came to life, mouths appearing all over it's length. Trees opened eyes on their leaves and branches moved to grab him and drag him to massive maws on their trunks. Cabbages pulled themselves out of the ground and split in two, or so it seemed with their mouths opened so wide, they all rushed towards Urghe on their stumpy roots. In the distance, the house began oozing purple slime and all doors and windows opened showing darkness filled with teeth. As the earth opened under Urghe-Ongho revealing a maw the size to swallow armies, his last thought was 'I was so close".

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 259 Wind of battle
« Reply #7443 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:12 pm »

I got quite a few PM's after the whole blazing portal gig, so some may have been lost. If you sent an action and haven't received a response yet, I probably missed it. Resend it and I'll do it tomorrow.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »

Doktor Diabolical:

"Unacceptable!"

Reoptimize the armor with +1 POT, 2 +1/+1, and a +1/+2. Make two essences.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:52 am »

Well, !@#$. This was on my birthday, too. May my allies avenge me, I suppose.

My affinity was Inverse (effectively became Opposites over time), in case you were wondering. My murder-portal spell apparently messed with Illium's murder-portal spell, thus causing his own demons to kill him. If I had survived your onslaught of attacks, I would have finished casting a spell that would have inverted any spells cast upon me in whatever way was the most detrimental to their original caster(s), then let you all kill yourselves in your zeal to kill me.

I don't suppose that surviving being swallowed by a mouth-demon would be possible, would it?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: August 02, 2017, 05:02:19 am »

My affinity was Inverse (effectively became Opposites over time), in case you were wondering. My murder-portal spell apparently messed with Illium's murder-portal spell, thus causing his own demons to kill him. If I had survived your onslaught of attacks, I would have finished casting a spell that would have inverted any spells cast upon me in whatever way was the most detrimental to their original caster(s), then let you all kill yourselves in your zeal to kill me.
Heh, sorry to let you down. And happy BD, btw! Also, as my character can't cast spells affecting others, he could have hacked you in spite of inverse shield. Hm... Interesting, how would inverse spell react to enchanted equipment (sword)?
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: August 02, 2017, 08:19:32 am »

I don't suppose that surviving being swallowed by a mouth-demon would be possible, would it?

((To start, happy birthday Athath. Next, I hope you realize that a spell that only effects spells flung at you still wouldn't have protected you. I mortally wounded you even before you were banished using a pair of physical attacks. It would be interesting to see would have happened had I used the healing knife as a weapon against you had you cast the spell. Might have caused me to heal while still dealing you physical damage...))

Start healing everyone's ear drums using my healing dwarven Swiss army knife of protection so that James doesn't need to waste time curing everyone's deafness.
Start with myself followed by the members of TOAM and the rest of the mages.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:31:28 am by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: August 02, 2017, 08:30:23 am »

(The demon never got defeated? At any rate I don't want to have to waste a turn summoning something again, I'll just put all my power into something that can hopefully protect me if anyone tries to kill us again.)

Summon a wolf anyways, use all three essences and a lesser/greater blood power. I'm not specifying what kind of wolf though.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:44 am »

((To be honest, I think that Demon ghost Illium is trying to possess Gambler so I'm hoping that the healing knife may purify Gambler of Illium.))

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:18 am »

(Happy birthday! Also with your affinity I would say you have a small chance of survival and next to no chance of escape. And even survival would require something like inverting the entire world you are in. As for the inversion shield plan, it probably wouldn't have helped you as much as you would have wanted.)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:06 am »

Drop the torch and pull the pin on a healing mist grenade.

"Hold off the demons! I'm making another portal!"

That hold off the demons order includes Grundar, or course.

Summon another innocuous farming tool, make another portal.

Definitely make 100% sure I have those seeds.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:51 pm »

ok, the harpies probably got through this

fly back to the mage created portal, with all of my birds
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: August 02, 2017, 02:15:57 pm »

Go for a leg swipe, followed by a head swipe.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:57 pm »

Turn 260

Doktor Diabolical:

"Unacceptable!"

Reoptimize the armor with +1 POT, 2 +1/+1, and a +1/+2. Make two essences.

Doktor decided that he didn't have enough time to add something, and opted to remove instead. With bicycle parts removed, there was enough to move weapons around and connect them back in a way that actually worked. Bulging plates slid into place, connecting sparking dead ends. Not stopping there Doktor continued removing redundant parts to make the whole thing lighter, removing two weapons with a single twofold plasma gun. It would be capable of both firing contained pellets long distances and vent in a short range but wide blast. All systems were at last online.

ok, the harpies probably got through this

fly back to the mage created portal, with all of my birds

Seva, figuring that the harpies would have little trouble where lesser creatures found their way, returned to the group of mages building a portal. The group seemed to be having some problems, fighting some uncertain foes. Urghe was missing, was he the first casualty or the perpetrator? Seva would have to find out and deal with it quick, the doom was swift approaching.

Go for a leg swipe, followed by a head swipe.

Bob continued stabbing and Cuberac continued rolling out of the way. But they both knew that this success with rolling out of the way wouldn't last and Cuberac acted before the chance was taken away from him. He rolled into the strike, dodging it by centimeters and used the momentum to swing his fist into Bob's jaw. Teeth flew through the air, struck out by the blow and among them was a chunk of bloody flesh. Bob's tongue got trapped between his teeth and a chunk was bitten off. This was good, tongue wounds bled well and with the size of the chunk Bob would start feeling it soon. But it was too late. Cuberac felt the gaze from above on himself. It was time to run.

Start healing everyone's ear drums using my healing dwarven Swiss army knife of protection so that James doesn't need to waste time curing everyone's deafness.
Start with myself followed by the members of TOAM and the rest of the mages.

(The demon never got defeated? At any rate I don't want to have to waste a turn summoning something again, I'll just put all my power into something that can hopefully protect me if anyone tries to kill us again.)

Summon a wolf anyways, use all three essences and a lesser/greater blood power. I'm not specifying what kind of wolf though.
Drop the torch and pull the pin on a healing mist grenade.

"Hold off the demons! I'm making another portal!"

That hold off the demons order includes Grundar, or course.

Summon another innocuous farming tool, make another portal.

Definitely make 100% sure I have those seeds.

James ditched the torch for now and smoke swiftly dissipated, soon replaced by soothing healing mist. The shadow demon, however, was nowhere to be seen. Which was probably for the best as James shout went unheard even by him. But there was no time for this, James reequipped the cube as a gauntlet and called forth another farming tool. This one too scarcely had time to appear before James slammed the gauntlet into the portal, building a new way out. Without help from other mages, it was less stable and the image of the other side was shrouded in fog but it didn't seem too dangerous.

But not all was well. The blood on the sword that had injured Ao began to move. It ran along the edge and began to take form, specifically a form of a hand. Once the hand formed, it separated from the blade and pointed a finger at the demon created portal above. From the portal dropped another bottle, this one with a fire on top of it, a Molotov. It crashed against the ground sending fire everywhere. The hand then gestured at Gambler and then at James. Almost instantly, James fell to the ground clutching his head. Darkness danced in his eyes, some unseen force smothering his consciousness. He could fight it, yes, and he would, but anything more productive was out of the question for now. The cutlass pulled out of Ao and flew through the air towards incapacitated James. It struck straight into his chest, but fortunately that was where armor was at it's thickest. The strike did little damage again, piercing just enough for a small dose of poison. The hand then returned to more lose blood, all of which moved in a thin stream and began wrapping around black flames like a cocoon.

Sharrin, seeing this as obviously enemy action, called forth a wolf greater than he ever had before. It was an action that pushed his limits, pushed them far and he suffered for it. His teeth turned to sharp fangs, barely fitting in his mouth without muscles changing to fit. He would neither speak nor bite without fixing this. Worse still was the damage to the mind. The human intelligence dulled and the inner beast emerged. Friend. Foe. Food. His power allowed him retain some of himself, but his thoughts were far more simple straightforward now. But the wolf that appeared was as large as a horse and bore a messenger symbol of the wolf god on it's forehead, white fur against black. In the background, Skeliborn was wondering why healing knife was not helping at all to stop the disturbing silence.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 506