Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1180503 times)

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 122 Strange tomes and Old enemies
« Reply #3225 on: October 18, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »

Xom stood at the edge of the plains, beholding the great barren sea that engulfed the landscape before him. Harsh, sand-laden desert winds whirled out to meet him, flowing over millions of fine particles, constantly shifting and disorganising them. Here, in sight of the sand and eroding rocks, Xom felt a certain sense of comfort and understanding.

Walk east towards the heart of the desert, keeping an eye out for anything of interest. Make 3 essences.
Also, PM.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:39 pm »

Afraid there will be another delay. As much as I want to blame my roommates wanting such absurd things as "sleep" and turning off the lights making it hard to type, truth is I am still at least an hour and a half of typing away from finishing. This pushes update to tomorow, 10-12 hours away from now.

In the meanwhile, a question.
Should I begin rolling for a Gobal even of some sort each turn?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: October 18, 2015, 04:16:17 pm »

I'm in favor of more events, though some breathing room between events would be nice. Maybe a couple turns before rolling starts again?

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 18, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »

What sort of events do you have in mind?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 18, 2015, 05:54:49 pm »

Seeing this typo, I somehow concluded that a tribe of bald, scrawny evil pygmies would be put against us in battle. Don't ask me how. Not sure myself.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 18, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »

Should I begin rolling for a Global event of some sort each turn?
((Fixed. As for my answer to the question: if it's a minor thing, this "global event", then maybe every turn. If not, if, perhaps, the event was on par with "goblin invasion" or perhaps "draining mist wave" you should probably restrain global events to once every 3-7 turns.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »

Is it global or goal? Either way yes with roles happening based on what others have said.

Also why do I have the feeling that next turn will be essentially chaos. Pun fully intended.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:33:46 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »

Is it global or goal? Either way yes with roles happening based on what others have said.

Also why do I have the feeling that next turn will be essentially chaos. Pun fully intended.
He who smelt it, dealt it. Keep this guy under heavy watch for a few turns, guys.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: October 19, 2015, 12:48:12 am »

Afraid there will be another delay. As much as I want to blame my roommates wanting such absurd things as "sleep" and turning off the lights making it hard to type, truth is I am still at least an hour and a half of typing away from finishing. This pushes update to tomorow, 10-12 hours away from now.

In the meanwhile, a question.

As long as it doesn't result multiple global events going on all the time or constant stream of events, then sure. We need a breathers between troubles to build up power and prepare our own plans of mass destruction.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: October 19, 2015, 01:04:27 am »

I agree with Aoshi. Global events would be cool but most of the time there should not be a global event happening. So if you roll for it use a big die.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: October 19, 2015, 04:39:02 am »

Turn 123

Shias is bored and annoyed for having to wait. He makes 5 essences in meantime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shias looked at mages gathering within the council chambers. James finally came, and brought the troll with him for some reason. Shias eyes began to wander. There were pretty white flowers growing near the windows. Jiksap was tinkering something silly. The door was closed. There were a total of five raptors within the room. It did not look like the place ad any decent ventilation besides the windows. How did the plants manage to grow? Without sun, nor water nor any carbon dioxide influx. Magic was annoying with its constant ignoring of natural laws sometimes.

C'est useless!
Start walking in a random direction, then. Maybe a worthy opponent can be found elsewhere.

Alexander collected his swords and went off towards the forest. Plains were right out, if there was something there he'd see it, there was simply nothing to hide behind there. Water was also right out, as for all his skills, Alexander could not breathe underwater. That left forest as the closest possible place to find something to battle. Yet Alexander had searched a decent part of the place, without finding anything larger than a toad, making him increasingly aggravated.

Dwen starts humming the jeopardy theme as he makes 4 more essences.

Dwen too was bored from waiting. They were all mages here, yet there was no way to make someone participate in discussion without them physically being here? Absurd. Brewmaster sighed and returned to focusing power.

Skelliborn
Attempt to Create 10 blade essences because why not?
Skeliborn ignored Viznor diving for cover as he began focusing power. It went comparably well at first, but Skeliborn forged past that. First essence failed, the power converging on Skeliborns blade, engraving strange runes on it, but Skeliborn still forged on. Next, the blade grew a guard to protect the hand wielding it. Then, hilt of the sword, which Skeliborn was holding on for luck, grew spikes. The spikes were over an inch in length, piercing Skeliborns hand and locking it onto the sword. Even this failed to stop him.

Next essence caused all edges in the library become a bit leaner, though not enough to be called sharp. The collapse after that was different from the others. Instead of the strange indecisiveness that he usually felt, Skeliborn felt outright malice, as magic tried to forge blades out of his bones. It was not quite strong enough this time, but the blade holding hand seemed to had begun bleeding just a bit extra.

ID the book with enough essences to net me a total of +3 +3 (including my natural bonus, and the newly-enhanced aura), and figure out what it is, what I can do with it, and anything else of interest. The scanning spell told me this thing was valuable, so it has to be useful somehow. PM the info, if that's all right.

Also, get away from that blade mage. He did a great job on my claws, but I don't want to be anywhere near someone making essences with a -10 penalty.

If Skelliborn ends up dead, collect his shards, plus whatever he was carrying around. No use letting them go to waste.

Assuming neither the book or the blade mage cause any issues:

This wouldn't be much of a library if it didn't have a set of encyclopedias. Get the library to guide me to them, and take the "E" volume off the shelf. Flip through it a little, see if anything looks interesting.

Do another scanning spell. This time, make it tell me about what it detects, in addition to finding it.

Make three essences.

Viznor decided that caution was the better part of valor. He was never really that courageous anyway. And this was dealing with someone who seemed mad, so it did not count. So seer dived behind a bookshelf filed with particularly thick books, and waited until magic stopped. To his great surprise, sword mage was not dead. Sure he was bleeding, and the glass sword seemed to have become painful to use, but all things considered, it was not that bad. After considering for a moment the chance that Skeliborn had magicked himself into a timed bomb, Viznor walked off deeper into the library to seek his other goals.

The magical search returned nothing but white noise, but encyclopedia search was much more interesting. "Ehofirs, a general name for all objects and creatures that have some method of making themselves impossible to describe or remember. Methods vary from changing appearance each time it is seen or described to making all memories of them disappear, sometimes even as a person is looking straight at them. " Creatures that did not want to be remembered in any accurate way, now that might be something new.

"Thanks for being so understanding. I'll try not to do any evil fleshwarping. Now we gotta run, we're late for a council meeting."
James would have stayed a bit longer to talk about morality of fleshwarping and other topics, but he doesn't want to keep the council waiting any longer. And it's probably best to leave while the treants are happy and not risk angering them by saying something they disagree with.

Hurry to the council. Make sure to stick with Grundar though.
Forge 3 healing essences on the way there.

James walked out of the forest at a slow pace. For one, he did not want to seem like he was running, in case treants make some wrong deductions from his haste. Another reason was that he did not trust the treants to be this friendly out of the blue, and was looking for traps. Once he and Grundar had cleared the forest though, their speed increased, and James managed to get to the council chambers just in a nick time.

Make 3 essences
So,what are we doing here?

Seva just couldn't focus. He was trying to focus some power, but there was a heated discussion happening about something or the other, and as usual, nobody seemed certain about what they wanted. Then James finally returned, and Seva just dropped his focus. It was not going too well, and maybe finally they'd be able to discuss what they came here to discuss.

"Tobacco? What is tobacco doing growing with reeds? Aha! Mages would want to keep their loot hidden, thus out-of-place bushes are a good place to hide things! Thus, it must be a magic chest in disguise!"

Poor Old King Coal suffered from bouts of insane troll logic through no fault of his own, but that didn't stop them from working.

Old King Coal tries to open the presumed magic chest, while making 3 bone essences. If he fails to open the chest, he's going to start tearing up the plant in an attempt to get to the supposed treasure inside(which probably doesn't exist).

Old king reached around the Tabaco plant, trying to find an invisible chest. Once it became abundantly clear that there was nothing invisible there, chest or no, he became angry. His anger was immediately expressed by tearing out the plant by the roots and throwing it into the lake. Old king then proceeded to kick the dirt in which the plant grew just moments ago several times. One particularly vigorous kick slid over something, revealing a patch of hard surface. Upon inspection, the surface proved to be wooden.  Thinking over the possibilities, King focused a bit of power, ignoring the tingle in his hands and nearby frog exploding in a shower of bone shards.

Jiksap begins top secret conversation with the odd, dark, smells-of-death visitor. And why not? After all, this type of character is always bound to be interesting.

Sadly, what he wanted was exactly the two things besides himself that he holds most dear. A different arrangement would have to be made, if at all.

Meanwhile, Jiksap decides to begin to stop being overly paranoid and put his fancy backpack to use. Of course, no hostile intent here! Jiksap doesn't want to blow anything up at all! It's just that the pack's secondary function - and perhaps later, additional functions - won't work at all the way it is now.

Use a small little spell (say, summon a cog) and have my backpack absorb it as charge. Afterwards, create 3 essences.

Jiksap began thinking about how exactly to feed a spell into his backpack. It only reacted to hostile spells directed at him. Targeting yourself was silly, and Jiksap was not certain it would count as "hostile". In the end, Jiksap just grabbed one of the many antennas his backpack had, and channeled spell into it. It seemed to work, as the backpack suddenly began whirring and sparking a whole lot more.

Four liquid essences more!

"Tsk, how careless of me... I nearly got my spell subpar by forgoing preparations..."

Kahel had a decent plan, although nobody tried too hard to murder him just yet, and his ribs had now entirely healed, in the future it might change. There were ways to prevent excessive damage, and Kahel had some of those ways available. Just a bit longer.

"Here i go! It's not a chair through."

Make a golden rod with a electric diamond-shaped crystal at the top which is held in place with gold. All non-chaotic essences.

CMP [3+1+1+10+5+1-1]
POT [1+1+1+10+4+2]

Eterna focused his power and forged a gem of solid electricity held within a golden scepter. It was a thing of beauty, an entire thunderstorm locked away in an invisible prison. Eterna reached out to take the scepter that was currently lying on the table, but stopped his hand midway. The hand then moved closer but stopped again. Gold was among the best conductive metals, and it was currently attached to a solid block of lightning. Then again, magic should have locked away the power of electricity entirely within the tip of the scepter. Eterna looked around and saw several others who could test the safety of the scepter.

I get up to create 3 essences as head into the castle

Nihilum, seeing that his hat was not exactly doing anything, and, that nobody around was doing anything, decided that the castle was a nice place to explore. The courtyard was rather disappointing though. Some white flowers aside it was rather empty. It did, of course, made sense to keep anything stealabe away from the eyes when a bunch of wizards were around, but this was almost insulting. Nihilum shrugged and went inside the tower.

Wait for the council to start, make 5 essences.

Gambler was sitting on his new chair within the council chambers meditating. Or having a nap. But magic was happening, so it was probably meditating. As Gambler opened his eyes after his last attempt at creating an essence collapsed, whirring of his chair caught his attention. A slit opened and out popped a can spray for curing burns. As Gambler inspected the can, the slit popped open again, this time there was a tiny bottle of what was probably alcohol. Gambler never found out, as the bottle was on fire and exploded almost immediately, splashing Gambler with burning liquid. As luck mage franticly tried to extinguish his clothes, the slit opened again, this time throwing out a thankfully unlit Molotov cocktail.

Craft 3 essences, then move my chair next to Professor Jiksap.

It took a bit of effort, mostly due to a pair of raptors refusing to get off the throne, but Bob managed to get his chair next to Jiksap's. Professor, as usual, was getting entirely too excited by his own experiments, but that was okay. They were all waiting for the council, and each was spending their time as they wanted.

Create one force essence and one explosion essence.

Crimson was getting bored and unfocused. He focused an essence and then another, but that was all he managed before James finally managed to return. Troll was with him, so things seemed to be going well enough for him. Finally, the council could begin.

PM'ed.
Once I'm done, find the council chamber and create 4 essences.

Ilium looked around the library, searching for something on a particular subject, but besides few books that were either uselessly basic or worthlessly specific, he couldn't find anything. Having finished the search here, Ilium went off to search for council chambers, a task that took barely a minute. For some reason, as he walked, Ilium noted that walls seemed particularly gaseous in the corridors he walked through.

Two aether essences. Take appropriate precautions against any idiots collapsing essences in a harmful way.

Jase looked over his tablet which claimed that "redirecting of power was 88% complete" when a warning popped up. There was a mage in question, who was certainly endangering himself but could possibly also harm others. Jase redirected what few defenses were left undrained into making certain that if the mage explodes, it would not do so too violently.

Xom stood at the edge of the plains, beholding the great barren sea that engulfed the landscape before him. Harsh, sand-laden desert winds whirled out to meet him, flowing over millions of fine particles, constantly shifting and disorganising them. Here, in sight of the sand and eroding rocks, Xom felt a certain sense of comfort and understanding.

Walk east towards the heart of the desert, keeping an eye out for anything of interest. Make 3 essences.
Also, PM.

Xom walked towards the desert, the harsh winds and heat not bothering him all that much. As he traveled, he saw fields of cacti, some of them rather more densely growing than others. There was an oasis there. As Xom was having a pause and admiring the cacti fields, a particularly sand filled gust of wind forced mage to cover his eyes and look down. He was a glint of something among the sand just next to his feet. It looked like a bronze disc on a string, but Xom could feel that there was magic within it. It was a key to something, there was no doubt about it.

From the portal a new mage entered, known as Forric. Forric was well known for both his talent of energy manipulation and his absolute disgust at anything that could not be verified. If there was no way to know for certain, then what's the point of thinking about it, he always said. Even now, just after exiting through the portal, he took out his notebook and marked the results. Another claim was put to rest.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:12:16 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: October 19, 2015, 04:58:13 am »

Shias is bored and annoyed for having to wait. He makes 5 essences in meantime.

You skipped me again.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 123 The council begins!
« Reply #3237 on: October 19, 2015, 05:06:13 am »

We probably should have a short list of mages (with colors) at the end of each turn to help players and DM differentiate who is who and who was once again forgotten.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: October 19, 2015, 05:22:33 am »

Shias the Druid. Location: Council chamber
                                                              ^
((In some games I have habit of doing this. |  ))

Another 5 essences.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:26:18 am by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: October 19, 2015, 06:35:32 am »

"Okay, i'll play safe with this thing."

Touch the specter. After that, 4 more essences.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 506