Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1183353 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 129 The last trick
« Reply #3720 on: November 16, 2015, 03:56:58 am »

((Do you have something against trees? Are you my next target?))
((Seeing ingenious necromancers, crazy bee masters, devious ale-summoners and, now, maniacally paranoid nature druids... I start to think that we're slowly, but surely going back to the deathmatch this game is supposed to be. Cheers to evil-doers!))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 16, 2015, 04:03:37 am »

((It seems that attempts to kill many mages at once are often doomed to failure so it is better to fight one wizard at time.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: November 16, 2015, 05:55:37 am »

((Did anyone else notice that DG said that the weird metal thing was already programmed to do its task?))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:09:33 am by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: November 16, 2015, 06:09:27 am »

((Did anyone else notice that DG said that the chainmail armor that Marcus had was already programmed to do its task?))
((He meant the summoned metal orb thing that is about to kill Kahel.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 16, 2015, 06:25:12 am »

"By your own claim, he owes you seven shards, James. I have no qualms about you taking those, as I was planning to give them to you anyway. The other three, however, I lay claim to for killing him. They may prove useful while I see to the fortress."

((This sets a horrible precedent if your character hasn't actually been near enough to the fields or portal to see anything, star2wars3. I assumed people knew the general layout of the duck like on the map, but knowing specifics about anything in an area without finding out IC about it through some manner is meta-gaming.  Still, seems like the others are fine with it.))

"This expedition intrigues me. However, my foremost concern is the fortress for the moment. If anyone planning to go would be willing to wait until I see to my affairs here, I will accompany you. I do wonder what became of that area, since I never did go back after I ran into those squids."

((Actually I have been pm-ing with a character who knows of the portal.))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 16, 2015, 09:05:58 am »

((Is it just me, or does))
Can I possess that weird metal thing?
{No. The metal thing is already programed with it's task and refuses any further modifications.}
((This imply somewhat that Marcus can actually do some possession before he passes on?))

((It seems that attempts to kill many mages at once are often doomed to failure so it is better to fight one wizard at time.))
((With some preparation, battles against up to 3 mages at once may be feasible. But that's just my opinion.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 16, 2015, 09:14:24 am »

New Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will win, or destroy this game trying.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:08:08 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 16, 2015, 09:47:22 am »

((Essences affinity? So you'd get essence essences? Essenceception! Stored power attuned to itself!
Seriously though, what do you plan on doing with that? Make our stored power implode ourselves? :P))

((Also, not sure about the description there. What's the form of a debt elemental? Will DG let you keep your soul bound items? Last time you had a different soul, and this time you say it's heavily marred so I doubt your items would accept you as their owners anymore.

It doesn't help that souls are turned into collectible shards here, so the Manipulator shouldn't have a soul to mess with in the first place. Or you have a soul to possess stuff with. But that's for DG to decide.))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:53:04 am by thegamemaster1234 »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: November 16, 2015, 10:03:58 am »

If I can possess stuff, possess a pm'd thing. If not:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can't. And Marcus is dead, you (The players) do not get revivals.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:43:13 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:39 am »

Also, this is what you missed:

The orb is an artifact that allows you to step across opposite affinities as if they were related, and allows the eventual affinity of a spell to be unrelated to the affinity it was cast from. However, every time it is used, it requires the sacrifice of an essence (the essence does not provide a bonus to the spell). The lower of the two bonuses (to Comp and Pot) that the essence provides becomes the maximum number of essences that can be used in the spell. The exception to this is if a chaotic essence is sacrificed. If so, the spell is a number of free steps away equal to the Pot bonus of the essence. The chaotic essence, unlike other sacrificed essences, applies its Pot bonus to the spell, and allows a number of other essences equal to its Pot bonus to be used in the spell (these essences must be added before the new spell is determined). These free steps are to random, legal affinities to jump to, however, and may change the spell depending on the new affinity. Using the orb in this manner blocks all other affinity steps for the spell for that casting of the spell. For example, if a mage casts the spell "Grow the plants in this area." from the Plant affinity through the orb, and sacrifices a +0/+2 chaotic essence to the orb, he could add two +1/+1 essences to the spell. The cast spell, however, might be "Increase the power of Order in this area." (Plant to Farm to Order), and boost the Pot and Comp of spells that restore, create, or maintain order that are cast in the area of the spell. The spell would receive a +2/+4 bonus, if no other modifiers were present. The mage could not return the spell to the Plant affinity by taking a -2/-2 penalty to his spell, nor could he change the effect of the spell (unless he had something else that would allow him to change the effect of a spell).

Y'know, the Manipulator might give it to you (and not send out Tur) if you give him Marcus's shards/soul...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:34 am »

Head North with Raptors. Craft 3 more essences.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: November 16, 2015, 01:21:54 pm »

((I still don't think that you should be able to come back with your soulbound stuff, but I'll let DG decide about that. And yes, I get the point; essences being related to magic power itself could lead to some very interesting affinity steps if you're allowed to keep it.

Also, you may want to know that Jiksap will not be friends with this new incarnation.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: November 16, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

Is it really okay to start in the service and favour of a god? Because that's something players usually have to earn one way or another.

Edit:
Wasn't one of the Manipulator's conditions to tell no lies, IC or OOC? I recall something like that. Because this:
Actually, y'all are mindless vegetables spasming on the floor, unable to form a thought that's longer than 5 milliseconds or so. Since none of you are in any shape fit to attack me, I should still be alive.
was a completely unambiguous, factually incorrect statement.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:33:24 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: November 16, 2015, 01:34:33 pm »

Is it really okay to start in the service and favour of a god? Because that's something players usually have to earn one way or another.
((Indeed. Heck, most of what I've been doing is preparing for just such a thing. It feels cheap for a person to just hop in with a god's full support.))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: November 16, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »

((Indeed. Heck, most of what I've been doing is preparing for just such a thing. It feels cheap for a person to just hop in with a god's full support.))
((They don't get full support. They can get a quest without rolling to see if the god exist and if it does, if it cares, but they also don't get to switch their god.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 506