Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1182367 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 147 Possibly good edition
« Reply #4860 on: March 12, 2016, 11:28:39 pm »

Action PM'd.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: March 13, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

Travel further south-west, do a PM'ed action, create 2 essences and explore.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: March 13, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »

Turn 148

Punch Chorkinaan in the skull, using kinesis magic to increase the kinetic energy of his skull going through his brain. (This ensures so that even if I get high POT/low CMP roll, it's his skull that explodes (as opposed to going straight backwards) rather than my hand.)
Hah! Who's-eeuugh. Who's the best NOW, Henry? Gods damn, that stings...

Chorkinaan takes a defensive stance and prepares to harass Henry to death. If Henry strikes, he parries and/or dodges. If Henry runs, he chases. If Henry attempts to bind his wounds, only then does Chorkinaan directly attempt to draw blood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Henry was blinded by pain and rage. He swung a charged blow at Chorkinaan but his quary had expected the blow and jumped backwards pulling out the blade as he went. Once more the magic unfolded into thin air with a harmless bang but situation was different this time. Henry was fighting against the clock and they both knew that. Chorkinaan hadn’t even bothered to try and iflict another wound, opting a defensive stance to keep himself alive while life leaked out of Henry.

Move to that tree tile, generate 3 more essences.

{That is suposed to be a geyser.}

Cuberac left the strange cube behind and proceeded deeper in the geyser filled fields. Small lakes that marked geyser exit points were decorated by colorful mineral formations.  There were quite a few, some of them bubbling and possibly to be blamed for the stench of rotten eggs that hung in the air.

Search for something to help cart Skelliborn around and ping for lucky locations nearby.

Gambler sent out a searching ping and results that returned were stunning. Unimaginable wealth was close, something so valuable that even several beings considered gods would want it. Gambler was returned to reality by a sharp *pling* and something impacting his chest. He looked down to see that his golden treasure seeker badge had shattered into tiny golden strips. Gambler remembered that his spell considered time just another direction and that his spell, while accounting for value/danger ratio, did not actually care about the amount of danger if prize was great enough. He looked upwards. There was something falling towards him.

Wayfarer was pleased with the hunk of solid force he held. But he had yet more to do before he braved the icy wastes in search of a potential Font of Magic.

Wayfarer magically reshapes(0) his helmet into a mask(-1 or 0(due to making it from material instead of conjuring it)). He uses all of his chaotic essences, and a +1 CMP essence on this task. Afterwards, he makes 4 solid force essences.

Wayfarer picked up his helmet and focused on it. Thin film of solid force covered the remaining gap in front of the helmet; concealing the wearer and making the world seem few shades darker from inside. It was probably for the best, as while snow was cold it was no less reflective for it. The future was bright and cold, but he just gained a solution for one of those.

Hrm, not good.

Trying to trap it with with roots (use chaotic +1/+1) and then trying to give it a manual beating.

Next spike came at Shias at far greater speed than one before, striking out of the ground with clear intent of impaling the druid. The druid, however, was far from the spike by the time it surfaced. He called upon the surrounding trees and sent their roots to capture the creature. There was another shriek as ground began boiling again over a patch of dirt, and Shias charged towards it. However, while he was still only halfway there the ground stopped boiling and a line of disturbed earth shot off from where the creature was. It had torn through the trap and escaped.

Oblivious to the current mage fighting events, Jiksap nears the shore of the lake. The underwater realms were just as dangerous, if not more than, the surface. Being without his dinosaur buddy doesn't help either. Of course, he remembers that he can't go back yet, as his breathing system was built for the sea.

But if he's lucky, that may have been merely a side-effect of having a new system imposed upon his body. He tests the airs...

See if I'm really stuck down here by poking my head above the water a bit. If I'm safe, go looking for Bob. If not, take another crack at lock picking. Another essence afterwards regardless.

Jiksap carefully raised a hand above the waterline. Nothing happened and he felt slightly embarrassed that he bothered. He knew that his skin wasn't harmed by air and figured that this was merely worry coming from when he almost choked on land. It wasn't a particularly joyous experience. He carefully raised his head above the water. It was going well, until he raised his neck where his gills were. Immediately, he began feeling breath fleeing and immediately dived back in the water. Few tries proved that practice was not helping and he was water bound for near future. The lock was proving difficult as well. The springs on locks were merely coated bronze, they were actually iron and thus provided more resistance than his carefully put together spell could handle.

huh, at least I can probably fix it now

fix my broken leg, since its a bird leg now

Seva was struggling with his broken leg. Bone parts mostly returned to where they should have been, but they refused to knit back together, though some parts moved wrongly and rather painfully. It would probably heal well enough if left alone and with some setting. In a month or so. If nobody came around wanting something vitally important to Seva.

Unparalyze Skelliborn and reel him in. Heal him again for good measure.
"Don't worry about the enchantment, you can give it to someone who needs it more. I have to go. Try to be more careful."

Either this turn or next, activate helicopter mode and fly in a random direction that hopefully leads to Grundar. Try to sense that branch he's holding with my plant sense, probably better than flying at random.

James reached out again with his power to heal Skeliborn. Damage to his nerves had been fairly extensive, both from the electricity and from damage caused by snapping bones and muscles. It took two tries to repair everything, or at least repair enough for Skeliborn to gather the mobility to grab onto the hock and get dragged ashore. His duty as a healer done, James said his goodbyes and took off to search for Grundar. Or he would had taken off, if his plant searching spell hadn't returned a headache instead of information.

"Looks like i can't do anything with that. Anyone have rubber gloves and can give it to that dude over there?"
2 Essences.

Eterna asked the group if anyone could help him with his predicament, but they seemed somewhat busy. The wizardly kinds of busy, where they do nothing whatsoever yet seem to be very focused on something. Gambler was looking at something above, James was having a headache, or hangover, it was hard to guess just from the way he held his head in his hands. Skeliborn was recovering from paralysis and Nihilum was thinking about something.

Unparalyze Skelliborn and reel him in. Heal him again for good measure.
"Don't worry about the enchantment, you can give it to someone who needs it more. I have to go. Try to be more careful."

Either this turn or next, activate helicopter mode and fly in a random direction that hopefully leads to Grundar. Try to sense that branch he's holding with my plant sense, probably better than flying at random.
I'll try not to do anything to dangerous.
Skeliborn:

Action:
Meditate on getting unparalyzed.(Not exactly magic but no need to use magic every turn)

A glass hock on chain laid across Skeliborn's chest. He was up to ears in some strange muck and entirely helpless to grab onto it to escape. It was probably some fresh kind of torture. It made sense, there was only so much excitement one could wring from sharp edges and blunt instruments. Almost without thinking, Skeliborn raised his hand and grabbed onto the chain. This event amazed Skeliborn so much that he managed to keep hold until slimy murk was replaced by soft dirt and James face appeared above. There was still a bit of remaining, albeit disappearing lack of sense of touch but he was otherwise fine.

Xom, having somehow received the stranger's message across the billowing winds, pauses to laugh momentarily before roaring back through the dust clouds:

Law? LAW?! Laws are nothing but synthetic constructs designed to inhibit the naturally chaotic flow of magic and entropy! Who are you to impose such vile perversions of nature on this plane? Law is MEANINGLESS here.

Continue doing stuff. Follow up with essence roulette. Xom cares not for things as trivial as personal safety.
Three Essences.

"You are are currently under trial, for the UNLAWFUL practice of magic, and for the BLATANT TOYING with the laws of PHYSICS! How, do you PLEAD?"

Bernardo began the required naming of crimes that the criminal had committed. Bernardo had a great voice for shouting which is why he enjoyed this part, but he did it because it was important. Most mages were not ashamed of their crimes, it was what made them criminals rather than mages with poor control over their skills, which meant that if they denied some particular crime it was a fairly good clue that there was another arrest worthy sorcerer parading around. The criminals in question usually used the time of reading to escape, resist or commit more criminal activity and Xom went for third option. Blobs of liquid began floating in the air as gravity began to fail. The liquid was met by few small pebbles, few larger pieces and one particular stone which had certain pyramidine quality about it. Xom was having some trouble of his own without any help from the sheriff as chaos around him was beginning to tear at his rather orderly body structure.

Using all non-chaotic essences, apply Deathcurse to self. The Deathcurse will, upon my death, transfer any and all nearby curses to the magician most responsible for it. Oh, and it's permanent.

{For a while now, there has been a cap of +5/+5 essence bonus to spells. It aplies to all spells and not just combat magic. If you alter your action acordingly I'll add it to Turn 148.}
Use the +1 CMP essence, the +1 POT essence, and four +1/+1 essences.

Gloomy thought about the dangers out of the tower. He probably could take a wizard on and win. Maybe take another on and win. But it would be so much easier if he could choose the battles rather than have the battles forced onto him. The trick was to make himself unsavory for those that would attack him. Thankfully, studies of pyramid curses had an answer; modified Mummy's curse would be capable of doing what he wanted. Magic weaved around Gloomy and threads of it traced off to objects he held and to the neighboring room. Sadly, no thread traced to the curse that maimed him, that one would not be moved so easily.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:48:47 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: March 13, 2016, 04:39:33 pm »

Using all non-chaotic essences, apply Deathcurse to self. The Deathcurse will, upon my death, transfer any and all nearby curses to the magician most responsible for it. Oh, and it's permanent.

{For a while now, there has been a cap of +5/+5 essence bonus to spells. It aplies to all spells and not just combat magic. If you alter your action acordingly I'll add it to Turn 148.}
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 147 Fortune hates the cheaters
« Reply #4864 on: March 13, 2016, 04:46:59 pm »

((By the way, did you edit Wayfarer's character sheet to remove a point of potency? Because Wayfarer got that point of potency from 4 shards...))

Wayfarer examined his helmet-mask thing. It would do for the moment. But sooner or later he would want to improve it. But now... he had more preparation to do.

Wayfarer donned his helmet-mask thing. Then he cast a spell to make his hunk of solid force larger. Afterwards, he played solid force essence roulette once again.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: March 13, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »

((By the way, did you edit Wayfarer's character sheet to remove a point of potency? Because Wayfarer got that point of potency from 4 shards...))

Wayfarer examined his helmet-mask thing. It would do for the moment. But sooner or later he would want to improve it. But now... he had more preparation to do.

Wayfarer donned his helmet-mask thing. Then he cast a spell to make his hunk of solid force larger. Afterwards, he played solid force essence roulette once again.

Damnit. Yes I did. I found that he had 9 stat points, thought I did a mistake, found the sheet you sent and "Fixed the mistake". Wait a moment while I deal with that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:13:19 pm by DreamerGhost »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: March 13, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »

Thank you for healing me James. I sure was an idiot back there. Although, I will say that having that near death experience has given me insight on how to improve upon my magic.

Now lets see if this works...

Convert the blade that looks like coal into essences.
Then create 2 more essences while heading towards the crystal tower Hepheastus pointed out to me..
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: March 13, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »

Happy with how things are going, Chorkinaan continues with this strategy while monologuing boastfully to Henry, punctuated occasionally by an audible wince at his flayed head. Do you know what it takes to be the best wizard, Henry? Believe it or not, it takes more than just magic power.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: March 13, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »

Use the +1 CMP essence, the +1 POT essence, and four +1/+1 essences.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: March 14, 2016, 05:40:09 am »

EDIT:
2 essences.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:44:13 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: March 14, 2016, 05:44:20 am »

I consume all essences and shards to fire a Massive bolt of Magic-Consuming Fire at the magic cloud.

2 Shards: +1 to COMP roll

3 Shards: +3 to POT Roll

"For your transgressions, I sentence you to LIFE IN PRISON!!! But first, to break your toy...."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:55:08 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: March 14, 2016, 05:50:39 am »

Scare it away by walking at its direction while stomping the ground as hard as I possibly can. Generally use normal animal kingdom scare tactics; appear as large and dangerous as possible (wide stance), brightly colored to indicate I'm very toxic/venomous (spell).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:53:24 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: March 14, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »

Malanalam, Joiner of Extremes, Prothet of Retribution and quite competent practicioneer of Inversion magic entered the arena. He came ready to spin advantages into lethal weaknesses, power into ruin and victories into defeats. For the moment, he restricted himself to inverting gravity of a nearby peeble and watching it slowly float away.

{ATHATH is back}

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:41 pm »

Make 3 essences.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:19 pm »

For the moment, he restricted himself to inverting gravity of a nearby peeble and watching it slowly float away.
((... talk about magic- if physics applied, that pebble should have exploded.))
((Good for ATHATH.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 506