Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1179801 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:52:43 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 183 Cultists and Saviours
« Reply #5957 on: September 03, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »

Whatever god you have been praying to, be liberated, yours is most certainly the one true faith and your god is indeed merciful because my internet is back. It actually returned the very next day with no action on my part but I was busy then.

Anyways, I think I'll post the turn tomorrow, to maintain the schedule.

Also, since Blood power, especially greater, is broken right now, I'll be posting a poll with potential nerfs to it for you to choose from.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: September 03, 2016, 07:47:45 pm »

I'd say combine the 1st and 3rd option(but only stat END bonus). Doing so won't only prevent people for overusing blood power, but also amplifies the punishment doing so.
Not only high END(no pun intended) players can spam blood power, but also they are resistant to almost all attacks. This is why you should have a attack that ignores END.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: September 03, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »

I agree with H4zardZ1, but I think a permanent END penalty for blood magic rolls is a bit too severe; just a bit. A penalty to blood magic END rolls which begins to count down and wear off in 5-10 turns and/or after a corageous situation (combat, treasure diving, anything that involves putting yourself in danger) ends might do the trick. As in, you can use blood power twice, and then END rolls for blood power will be two points worse for the rest of the combat, and the penalty will begin to lessen after 6-ish turns of rest. Unless there's a way to bounce back and use blood magic again, nobody's going to put themselves at the disadvantage of being guaranteed to sustain a heavy injury if they want anything more than a basic spell.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: September 03, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »

Suddenly had brilliant idea for dealing with Blood Power. To make it a good idea in the short run, but not later.

Basically: it applies a penalty to POT and CMP on the next turn. A penalty that increases each time Blood Power is used. Basically makes Blood Power a good emergency thing but not something that can be abused.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: September 03, 2016, 08:30:29 pm »

Personally, I think blood power should just require high END to work without bad injuries. Maybe at 2 and below END, high chance of severe injury. 3-5 END high chance of moderate injury, and 6-9 END high chance of low injury. This should prevent new characters (like me and ATHATH) from spamming greater blood power. Also, it should be limited to one greater blood power use per turn (or two).

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: September 03, 2016, 10:07:32 pm »

Insert my chunk of Eternity into The Omnicube.
I had a dream that the omnicube exploded when this happened and killed James and the tree. I hope that dream wasn't prophetic.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: September 03, 2016, 10:09:33 pm »

Damn, that sounds like a funky dream.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: September 03, 2016, 10:35:08 pm »

I like the middle option, except that it'll basically make high-END characters uberwizards and ubertanks, which is bad.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: September 03, 2016, 10:37:02 pm »

I like the middle option, except that it'll basically make high-END characters uberwizards and ubertanks, which is bad.

High-END characters already ARE uberwizards and ubertanks. The only difference would be that for them to be uberwizards, they would have to not just be unreasonably tanky, now they would have to be inexcusably tanky.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: September 03, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »

High-END characters already ARE uberwizards and ubertanks. The only difference would be that for them to be uberwizards, they would have to not just be unreasonably tanky, now they would have to be inexcusably tanky.
It's still better than the current situation—it just isn't enough on its own.

Blood Magic ignoring END bonuses sounds better, honestly. I voted for the increased target, but I'd definitely change my vote to the third option, if I could.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: September 03, 2016, 10:46:13 pm »

((I'd say the last. The first option just kind of... feels weird, plus it's sort of an artificial way to discourage frequent use, which is kind of the point of the injuries. Feels less like blood power and more like "only use this once or twice, or else" power.

As for the second- saying you need 7+ end is all and very well until someone actually goes and turns their body to metal or something so they can get it consistently. Then it's a broken thing that only one person can use, which is... good for them, I guess, but in a sense it increases the broken-ness to the point of ridiculousness.

So last is the way to go, I think. Removes roll bonuses we all love, but it keeps the aesthetic and prevents end from becoming a uberstat, which is better overall for balance.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: September 04, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »

Turn 184

Alright, you're free. Can you walk OK, or do you need a little extra help? I believe I sensed the... (ugh) healer, headed towards that creepy tower near the main portal.
Chorkinaan seemed to speak the word "healer" reluctantly, and with no small amount of contempt.
Now then, Skelliborn, shall we begin? I'll start by gathering some sacrifices.
Chorkinaan creates a small, heavy solid-physicality bottle, ties the rope to its neck, and sends it down the crack in an effort to collect some of the liquid rock without venturing down into the dangerous crack.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chorkinaan conjured a literally indescribable bottle and lowered it in the impossibly liquid stone. It seemed to behave a lot like mercury, though was only about half as dense. Also, probably less poisonous and not emitting any dangerous vapors.

Enchant the vial to condense ambient luck into a fluid form. Use 2 +1 POT essences. Then make an essence.

Gambler conjured another vial, this one empty. Instead of being filled with enchanting liquid it was itself enchanted. A thin film of gold condensed on the bottom and Gambler tucked this bottle away as well.

Xom enchants the ring with the ability to push chaotic anomalies out of its structure as a means of reinforcement. Chaos removed in this way shall be drained into the circle's centre. Use: [Law +1/+1], [Chaos +1CMP].

Another serving of chaos roulette, if you will.

((By the way, it seems that Bernardo has not yet been removed from the map key.))

Xom extended his magic to the ring and drew an nonexistent line within, splitting Order and chaos within. Chaos magic was pushed further towards the center while fractals on the ring began to fade, replaced by a honeycomb-like hexagons. But not all was well, as the two were not entirely separated while achieving greater purity. Inner edge of the ring began to decay as chaos inside began to burn.

Insert my chunk of Eternity into The Omnicube.

James placed the chunk of Eternity in the gauntlet that he had transformed the Omnicube into and pressed the button to make it refold in it's base cube form. It folded up around Eternity, trapping it within. It glowed as the stars in the night sky for a moment, before melting and spreading through the cube. But it was not absorbed by the Omnicube. Had there been any damage, it would had been repaired, but as it was now, the Eternity was stored in reserve, awaiting damage. The Omnicube was as good as indestructible until Eternity ran out.

Keep my hypercubes slicing, and try to block those attacks.

Cuberac sent out his cube swarm once more, cutting through two more cultists. This left him in still unfavorable odds of two against one, and while he parried the first strike, the second got him in left shoulder, making it impossible to raise the to any useful degree. The cultist leader, seeing that his forces were dying rather too rapidly, began chanting a spell.

Another search for wildlife.

Duritarum looked around for wildlife again. There were no grasslands around, only rock and crevices. The rock did not look particularly promising, but the cracks in the ground could potentially contain something. As Duritarum found out, the cracks contained empty space outlined with brittle edges, there were gems inside the cracks, but no actual life. Only dust hid in those shadows.

Ground shall be fertilized soon.

Go and knock Jackson over. Make sure to sit on top of him so he can't even try to escape from under my full weight. Then shove some seeds seeds on his face and make them grow, hopefully blocking his breathing holes.

Shias pinned down Jackson with his considerable weight and forced some enchanted seeds in his mouth. Just at the same time, Jackson finished his own spell and sent out a shockwave at point blank range. The sound reverberated through Shias, shaking his organs into a bleeding mess. Jackson was not out of trouble just yet though. He found that the seeds had grown into plants and blocked off his breathing completely, rising as a small shrubs from his mouth and nose. Some of the plants even began drilling their roots in the surrounding flesh. His troubles did not end there, as wasps began swarming around Jackson, and then Easter Sunday came in his horrific form, his mandibles opened wide and clamped around Jackson's neck, tearing flesh and drawing blood, missing vital arteries by a hair's width and clamping on tightly.

{Shias, Organ damage - -1END and any END test that sums up to 4 or less causes unconsciousness.)
{Jackson, asphyxiating, 2 turns to unconsciousness, 4 turns til death.}

3 essences

Skeliborn was not feeling particularly busy for the moment and spent the time looking at what Chorkinaan was doing with a strange looking bottle to impossibly looking liquid. It was a strange experience.

Damond, He Who Has Received A Punch:

"Blast it all! Bah!"

Okay then. Damond attempts to search for the mage who helped him in his fight. After he does so, he makes 2 Punches essences.
Help Damond in his search, since most of the mages are by the tower, fly that way, stopping if I see anyone

Make 2 essences

Seva and Damond headed back to the Tower in search of Jackson. Damond was finding out that carrying a troll corpse made sinking in the swamp with each step so much easier, moving at a snail's pace. Seva was unbound neither by heavy cargo nor bad terrain and flew on ahead. What he saw was Jackson pinned down by a treant decorated by spikes, vines and moss.

"Thanks."
2 essences.

Surg inspected his leg from closer up and almost instantly regreted it. His shin was blue and swollen, indicating rather serious damage. There was little doubt that it would not be able to properly support his weight.

use 2 1/1 , 1 1/2 1 0/1 and 1 1/0 essences to make myself not incompetent at persuasion, use intuitive translation to persuade the jellies to not attack and say that i'm friendly/ come in peace.

Clownman focused magic onto himself again, expelling any blocks that would prevent him from getting his message across properly. And in doing so, he got an Idea. When Jellyfish arrived, their primitive sensory organs saw a sand slime and a new, very strange floating slime. As thy began to disperse again, Clowmnan allowed himself a moment or relaxation. Imitating slow, lazy movements of a slime managed to trick the jellyfish.

Back out from the forest. Find mage or two. "Greet" them.

Kahel escaped the forest as fast as his feet could carry him. It was a terrible place, unfit for picnics or exploration. Instead, Kahel focused onto the dissipating remains of a chaotic dust cloud. That seemed like a mark of magic, and in turn, mages. Indeed, there was a mage there, and next to him were a huge stone ring and a small pyramid. A fireball seemingly jumped in Kahel's hand, only to fly off again, towards the mage. It was swift, but not particularly accurate, as it missed by a good few meters, hitting and igniting one of the fractal sulfur sculptures.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:54:07 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 184 Musical Growth and Combat
« Reply #5969 on: September 04, 2016, 03:29:08 pm »

((Not sure if it would have made much of a difference, but you forgot a +1 luck. +1 from a ring and +1 from the omnicube itself.))

Anyways think about some PMed mad science while summoning 1 Healing gas grenade, 1 healing syringe, 1 healing potion and 1 healing pill.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:49:36 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 506