Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1183649 times)

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 186 Planar travel and Space exploration
« Reply #6090 on: September 18, 2016, 03:48:40 am »

Also, Prismatic, remember when I said that the sell would happen at the beginning of this turn? I messed up answering you and gave you a false hope that you could dispel it.
((Wait, what?! So I just wasted a turn doing practically nothing whilst Kahel attacked? Not even a counterstrike attempt? Talk about a wasted initiative roll. I'd have changed the spell to something useful if I'd known it was invalid.))

((Quick suggestion to put into the rules section. At present, when a new player reads the rules post it doesn't say how essences are formatted. For example,
would a +1/+2 essence be +1pot/+2cmp or the reverse?))
((Seconded. I keep confusing which is which.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 186 Planar travel and Space exploration
« Reply #6091 on: September 18, 2016, 03:53:18 am »

Also, Prismatic, remember when I said that the sell would happen at the beginning of this turn? I messed up answering you and gave you a false hope that you could dispel it.
((Wait, what?! So I just wasted a turn doing practically nothing whilst Kahel attacked? Not even a counterstrike attempt? Talk about a wasted initiative roll. I'd have changed the spell to something useful if I'd known it was invalid.))
((Well, if Chaos god would have answered, things would be very nasty. For you or me, depending on LUCK roll.

Also, we have around two rounds of fight left. After that victor would be clear.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 187 Conflicted destinations
« Reply #6092 on: September 18, 2016, 03:56:07 am »

press the button, make four essences.

((You have four buttons to chose from, pick one.))

((Quick suggestion to put into the rules section. At present, when a new player reads the rules post it doesn't say how essences are formatted. For example,
would a +1/+2 essence be +1pot/+2cmp or the reverse?))

((Added a line about this in the essence section. One helpful way to remember this is such; CMP is always rolled for first, so the first part of +2/+1 is added to that roll (+2), while POT is always rolled for second, so the second part is added to that roll(+1).))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:56:40 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: September 18, 2016, 10:27:23 am »

((Just out of curiosity, is the "walking through walls" act actually canon?))

"Greetings, Sage. Considering your uncanny awareness of things as slight as a desire for your presence, I am surprised that the answer to your question has eluded you so. The truth is that I seek both. You see, I have recently begun to dabble in the alchemical arts, producing a batch of invisibility potions as the fruit of my experiments. The elixir is perfectly functional, but its true potential seems to have been stunted in part by my inexpertise in the field. What I seek from you is knowledge of alchemy, with all the preparation and purification methods it entails. Will you grant me this?"

((Indeed it is. Comes of an alliance with the master of the Tower.))

"Any mage may glean information from their surroundings, although I find that I am often more aware of the process than most. Think, Trickster, of the instant in which you sense the beginnings of a spell, or recognize the desires of one who seeks your death. I have knowledge of the same. There are, of course, certain limits to such a power, even for one such as I. A mage cannot penetrate the surface of a fellow's mind, and our kind are as predictable as a roll of the dice."

"I digress. Your request is certainly within my power, and it is a desire I, myself, appreciate. I am afraid that I do not have much use for potions in recompense, as I may produce a similar effect with my own abilities. However, your assistance in a spell, and the addition of a portion of your more chaotic essences to this battery's stores, would be very much appreciated."

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: September 18, 2016, 02:02:35 pm »

Turn 188

Search the land for anything of interest. The flares are clearly attracting nothing for the time being.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duritarum decided that if interesting things would not go for him, he would have to search for them. It took surprisingly little time to discover that one of the cracks in the ground was uncharacteristically deep and lacking in gemstones of any sort. It was wide enough for a man to fit in comfortably, but depth and darkness would make getting down a bit complicated.

Activate the chair. Make 2 essences.

Gambler tossed a spell into his throne winding it up again. Unseen gears began turning and whirring, bending probabilities around it. The sounds became stranger and more impossible until the noise simply stopped. The throne was ready to capture chances again.

"17 mage souls, ready for consumption.

No? I figured that would be too much to ask.

I wish for an endurance more capable of withstanding the blows of a mage."

Asking for more points in endurance, unless a request for a game-winning amount of soul shards would be fulfilled.

"As you command"
The genie looking blood elemental faded into a mist of blood that quickly dispersed. Cuberac wondered if it would be worth to wait and see if the creature could actually kill seventeen mages. Probably not.

2 Essences for now.

Surg exchanged news with Ilium and looked over the goods he had for sale. There was little else to do while his leg healed, but heal it did and quite quickly. he could feel bones returning back to their places, and it would take just a minute more for the flesh around the bone to heal.

Two shards a bottle? I'll take eight! ...Or I would, but I only have three shards. I'll take one, please. And yeah, the skeletons were coming out of these odd crystal towers in the eldritch valley north of here.

Chorkinaan trades with Ilium Skydepth and then casts a spell to cap off one end of his magical tube, then creates two essences.
"Crystal towers, eh? It all fits in...interesting."
Ilium pauses momentarily, seemingly distracted by his thoughts.
"Tell you what. Since you've been so helpful, I'll make you a special offer: I'll throw in an extra bottle in exchange for a single shard and a simple favour to be determined in the future, such as assistance with a spell. What do you say?"

If Chorkinaan agrees, exchange 2 bottles of invisibility potion for his 3 shards.

Chorkinaan capped off one of the ends of his pipe, creating a long and thin can. It was not particularly impressive now, but it would become an extremely nasty part of a weapon in the future. The present, however, involved entirely non-nasty business with Ilium about invisibility potion. Shards and bottles were exchanged, hands were shaken and two people filed each other under "suckers" in their memories.

Well then.  Change my designation to 'Hello.  Nice tower.'

Ignoring the strange mage that just walked out of the wall magus changed his designation again. There was a slight stop to Tower processes as it tried to handle the new tag, but magic is a whole lot more flexible than code, and filed magus under "miscellaneous". There was no way to know what consequences this would have.

PMed action!
Damond, Your Soon To Be Doom:

"Firebird? Get out of the way."

FIST. PM sending.
Grab Easter, fly up with him, burning any wings he may have off
First things first. To protect my body: Make a thick tree bark grow over body and staff. +1 CMP and +3 POT.

I would hate calling in the favour from gods for different purpose than originally intented, but my life is in danger. A little tornado with me being in the eye of storm would be nice. Maybe strong winds would snuff out that fake phoenix. And I would love to see how one can punch a wind away.

((I can get that much of help from the promised favour, right?))

Seva attempted to capture Easter, but his augmented reflexes allowed him to escape fearsome claws of the phoenix. He swiftly retreated back to headless corpse of Jackson, gripped it firmly and flew high into the air. In his haste he shook the corpse too harshly, causing the treasure - the ten shards that were on the body fall to the ground. This gave Damond an unique chance that he was not going to waste.

Damond rushed towards the shards, grabbing them while barely even slowing down. He rushed towards the true prize. He consumed the shards to empower his skills and leaped forward, rolling and rising in a  swift motion. In his left hand rested the staff of Shias. He planted the staff firmly in the ground, raised his right fist, charged the fist with magic and struck. It is unknown if he misjudged the power within the staff or his durability, but that did not matter. The power leapt out of the staff, focused and pointed by the strike it flew towards Shias, the blast too wide to dodge. It sent ghost of Shias flying away and causing his chest to melt into ectoplasm. But it was where the trike flew afterwards that was important. For just behind Shias was the gate to the Plane of Fire. Energies of the strike and the staff met with the gate and exploded.

At first, it seemed as if this whole mix of magic would implode relatively harmlessly, but then unknown forces were overcome and fire flooded out. Easter and Shias were too far away to be affected, while Seva cared little even for harshest of fires. Damond was neither far enough nor immune. Fire seared all of his skin into ash within moments. Then the energies of the staff began expressing themselves and Damond's body was pierced by countless shards of wood, accelerated to speed of sound by the explosion. As the whole structure began taking shape, flames were blocked from going certain ways. Damond stood in a place where all of this blocked off fire was focused. Not even his bones survived the heat, and he saw no more.

For those from further away the magic was still continuing. A shell of wood began building around the fireball, focusing fires through long vents that grew on the shell. At the bottom of this shell there were four vents, each for one cardinal direction, each larger than any vents above. Amber leaves sprouted on the smaller vents as the whole structure continued to grow. Finally, the top of the structure spun in onto itself, blocking off the last direct sight of the flames, and morphing into a gigantic bud surrounded by dazzling aura of sparks.

Some distance away, Shias ghost got itself back up and experienced a second tragedy within this minute as he realized that his body was most likely gray and powdery by now.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 188 Greatest of mistakes
« Reply #6095 on: September 18, 2016, 02:13:10 pm »

Manipulate blood to crush pyramid crystal, while gutting Xom with cutlass. Then, cast "Chilling hands" upon Chaos mage. (or pyramid, if he dies)

((Are we late for this round? I'm a bit lazy to search for the actual D&D spell now, but its unmodified cold-based touch attack.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: September 18, 2016, 02:14:12 pm »

Manipulate blood to crush pyramid crystal, while gutting Xom with cutlass. Then, cast "Chilling hands" upon Chaos mage. (or pyramid, if he dies)

((Are we late for this round? I'm a bit lazy to search for the actual D&D spell now, but its unmodified cold-based touch attack.))

((I'm going to say you are not late, both because I updated slightly earlier today and because i took me so long to get to your previous action.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: September 18, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »

((Oops. Never even got to try out YOUTH GUY's tiger bomb punch. Oh well. Assuming Damond's dead:))

Name: Doktor Diabolical
Affinity: Robots
Description: "MWAHAHAHAHA! I, Doktor Diabolical, have come to conquer this demi-plane with my DIABOLICAL ROBOTIC MINIONS! Tremble before my robotic might!"

STR: 0
DEX: 0
SPD: 1
END: 1
POT: 6

First action: Doktor Diabolical heads in a random direction, playing Robots essence roulette as he goes.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: September 18, 2016, 02:21:35 pm »

(Welp. I have officially become Schroedinger's mage. Taking all bets on whether I'm alive or not (In the form of soul shards, payable to Skeliborn or if necessary, my next character)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:24:39 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: September 18, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »

((Were all the shards destroyed as well?))

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

((If I'm still alive, I lay claim to whatever is left of Damond's shards. That is to say, the 6 shards he had before this turn.))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:42 pm »

Collect any shards left in the area, then fly after Easter, try to bring him back to the fire tree. With force, eagles attack first
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:06:29 pm by DAPARROT »
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: September 18, 2016, 02:39:43 pm »

((If I'm still alive, I lay claim to whatever is left of Damond's shards. That is to say, the 6 shards he had before this turn.))

((You are still alive, the dice will it.))

Collect any shards left in the area, then fly after Easter, try to bring him back to the fire tree. With force
His autodoge did not go anywhere, I would recommend a multi pronged attack, your birds are still with you.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: September 18, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »

((You are still alive, the dice will it.))

Collect any shards left in the area, then fly after Easter, try to bring him back to the fire tree. With force
His autodoge did not go anywhere, I would recommend a multi pronged attack, your birds are still with you.
Really? I would have thought that all of the bird and wasp minions would be charred husks by now.

Also, I came up with an epitaph for the gravestone of Bloodmage Jackson, if he ever gets one:

Here lies Jackson, may he rise as an undead abonimation and take his revenge against those who have wronged him (and/or participate in a Thriller parody, either one is fine).
He died as he lived: making music, bleeding, committing crimes against nature, and on fire.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:18:11 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: September 18, 2016, 02:55:30 pm »

Really? I would have thought that all of the bird and wasp minions would be charred husks by now.

Raptors and wasps perished, birds were flying far enough away to survive.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 506