Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1181962 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 199 Not as planned
« Reply #6495 on: November 03, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »

Turn 200

((Doktor Diabolical's miner bot isn't in the inventory.))

Doktor Diabolical:

"Progress! Mwahahaha!"

If the bike is effectively rideable now: {

"Onwards! To diabolicalness and beyond!"

Doktor Diabolical and his robots go three hexes down, and Doktor Diabolical makes three robots essences. }

If the bike is not effectively rideable now: {

"Looks like I have just a little bit more work to do!"

Doktor Diabolical enlarges the bike once more, then makes two robots essences. }
~~~
((Next turn is turn 200. Whoooooo!))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doktor got onto his bike and moved south. There was an edge of the world to the south and edge of the forest to the west. It would be hard to tell which of the two was more dangerous. But the planes right here were nice. And the flat land would allow him to see anything coming from far away.

Keep the swarmcubes cutting, hit him with my handheld bladecube.

Cuberac sent his cubes and they beset Blake once more. Again they failed to do much more than annoy him, but they did distract him. Blade hypercube sailed in a wide arc that ended right onto Blake's head. The impact knocked him to the ground, scrambling whatever plans he had along with much of his gray matter. Blake didn't even groan in pain, he was that much out of it.

Well, that could have gone much wor-SKELLIBORN WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I... Stop it! Stop swinging that sword! All this about spiders and driders and whatever, it's not real! There are no spiders here, and there are no driders! It's all a hallucination caused by pollen that the white flowers were spitting out! Just... Ignore them! Ignore the spiders and the driders and whatever eldritch horrors jump at you, because the more you swing that sword at a bunch of phantasms, the more likely you are to hurt me and Surg! So calm your booty and just keep telling yourself that the spiders aren't real!

Oh, I feel a draft. I hope that doesn't push any more pollen in here. Y'know, with all this caring after victims and plant extermination - cleaning as well quite soon - I'm doing, one might mistake me for a witch as opposed to a mage. To be honest, I'm fine with that. I've always had a fairly deep respect for witchcraft. A quick charm or two here and there and a little elbow grease can have just as much impact on the world as a ritual focused incredible power by a mage of my caliber.

Make sure the entrance to the room tightly shut. Prop something against the door if need be. If there are any loose rags around the forge, grab one and begin wiping up the pollen from the floor. If not, instead make one from a piece of Surg's clothing since he seems just about catatonic anyway. If Surg resists, cast a spell to create a rag of the same cloth-like material that my head bandage is made of. Be sure to only wipe with one face of the cloth; that way it can be folded up relatively safely.

It's not chloroform, but it'll do. Plus, having it not track all over the place will be nice.
((To answer your question, All of them))

Purify myself with the blade of purification.(aka make the pollen b gone)
If this consists of stabbing myself also use the dwarven army knife of regeneration.

Chorkinaan found some cloth, possibly here to wrap finished goods into, and began cleaning pollen from all surfaces. He cleaned pollen off Surg, but left a wide berth around Skeliborn. He seemed to be having it worse than Surg, but he also had a glowy greatsword and was swinging it around. Then, possibly after defeating all the driders, Skelibor began battling the spiders on him. It took some skill to swing a greatsword against yourself, but Skeliborn manged it. Blade struck his chest, cutting though a rib and breaking another one. This was quite enough pain, especially combined with blade's purifying capabilities, to wake Skeliborn from his hallucinations. Luckily for Skeliborn, although he was too busy screaming in pain to think about it, the purifying effect of the blade seemed to prevent blood curse from reacting to the wound. And it felt worse than it was, between Tower's aura and his own pocket knife of regeneration, the wound would close in a minute.

have the crystal phoenix attack Easter again, then breath fire on him
Mini-phoenix again attacked Easter and again Easter dodged out of the way. This time, Easter attempted to punt the mini-phoenix out of the sky with his fist but the tiny bird was too fast for this. The big bird was also too fast for this, as Easter suddenly found himself staring into open maw of the Seva!Phoenix. This time, there was no time to dodge. Easter jumped out of the flame but damage was already done.  Regeneration stopped again as wings were burned down back to charred stumps.

Reconstruct my nose and head to the west.

Duritarum checked his nose again. He had tried to set it in place with blood magic, but it was still off. Sighing, he set it in place by hand and winced as pain surged again. Climbing out of the pit was slightly more trouble with lead sheets weighing him down, but he managed. Moving westwards he returned back to the same place where the tower with skelemages was. There seemed to be less skeletons around, possibly due to their usual battleground being a crater.

Renew the fire-shields. Use my affinity for fire magic to sense where the fire from the portal is being drained/moved to. Go there (unless it's near the tower).

Are the fire shields still up?
"What next, Karnax?"

Two essences.

Karnax re-conjured the fire shield around himself and Khozek. Basic safety procedures done, he began searching for where all this power was going. There was something of a reverse vortex rising from the tree and spreading in a corona around the top of the dome around the tree. Curiously, the fire part of the magic was becoming significantly fainter after rising through the dome.

"And the Abyss stared back... I should try to reshape myself a bit more before going for confirmation."

Oblivious to all the pollen flying around, Ao walked further through the Tower empty halls. Creating 4 essences on his way.

Ao resumed his exploration of the tower. He found himself faced with quite a few stairways leading upwards and rose to the upper levels. One final stairway led him to a room with half of the ceiling missing. Under naked sky stood a telescope, but far more interestingly, the sky was the sky of night. Stars could be seen clearly, although there was no moon.

Redrum gestures!
The corpse shudders and begins to move!

Animate the bearded cadaver, collect a bunch of decaying twigs
(this was missed last turn) and make 4 new essences.

Redrum gestured at the corpse and the corpse shuddered and began to move. Then it stopped moving as the energy moving it ran out. Redrum wondered if this was because something was wrong with the corpse and decided that it could had been the mud sticking to the corpse. Or maybe a tree root grew through it. Either way, it too more than usual amount of energy for the corpse to get up, so it ran out before it did.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 200 Dicentury
« Reply #6496 on: November 03, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »

Damn, I kinda wanted to do something special for 200 and yet I find myself in a hurry to do other stuff. PM's come tomorrow and so does Shias and related turns, as so much of attacks are coming through PM's.

On an unrelated note, should new mages come with some essences already prepared?  Say +10/+10 in random essences? There is no real need for this, but I thought it would speed up people going to interesting spells.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: November 03, 2016, 05:45:47 pm »

@200 Turns: Just wait until turn 404.
@10/10 essences: Would this include Chaotic essences?
@Seppuku: Sure it may be needlessly painful and violent, but it worked.
Ow my everything hurts. ugh. What happened? Why do I have a glowing white sword in my hand? Why do I feel pain?

Nevermind, whatever happened a few moments ago, I'm back to my usual self now. Now we need to focus on the problem at hand. We appear to be trapped in the Blacksmith room. Should I knock down the door?
((By the way, assume that my character has no memory of what happened while under the influence of the pollen due to being high on magic pollen. Let this be a lesson to you all: Remember Kids, When a Murder Happy Nature Mage Forces You To Inhale Pollen, Just Say No!))
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:01:53 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:05 pm »

Sounds like you've come down, Skelliborn. After we got to the forge to begin our ritual, someone who probably was a nature mage decided to make all these flowers I didn't see before begin spewing hallucinogenic pollen. I stopped it from becoming TOO much of an issue with a bit of magic and a bit more witchcraft, and you spent the entire time tripping balls with some hallucinated spiders and driders until you committed seppuku and then came down. I didn't lock the door, you can leave any time. But we've still got a ritual we had planned to do. Still, though, it looks like there's some medicine to take care of. In the meantime, would you like to smell this cloth?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:20:57 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:45 pm »

Definitely supporting +10/+10 in starting essences, since most longtime players have way more than that.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: November 03, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »

Sounds like you've come down, Skelliborn. After we got to the forge to begin our ritual, someone who probably was a nature mage decided to make all these flowers I didn't see before begin spewing hallucinogenic pollen. I stopped it from becoming TOO much of an issue with a bit of magic and a bit more witchcraft, and you spent the entire time tripping balls with some hallucinated spiders and driders until you committed seppuku and then came down. I didn't lock the door, you can leave any time. But we've still got a ritual we had planned to do. Still, though, it looks like there's some medicine to take care of. In the meantime, would you like to smell this cloth?
Nah I'm good. Still if I may ask the question, Are you sure you stopped the pollen throughout the entire tower. If I remember, those flowers were all over the tower so there is a good chance that your spell only effected this room. Not to mention, we have a nature mage to deal with.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: November 03, 2016, 07:38:44 pm »

Oh, I know the spell only affected this room. You'd better cover your face with a cloth- not this one, for no real reason, just saying you should find another one- if you want to leave. I'm sure the rest of the tower's residents are stoned out of their minds right now. As for the nature mage, well... He attempted mass murder to the most powerful mage's guild on the island. Just on principle, he's having a bad time right now. A very bad time. Unless of course he's a masochist. Then he's probably experiencing the ultimate bliss right now.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: November 03, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »

Changed the poll to be about premade essences.

@10/10 essences: Would this include Chaotic essences?

Yes

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: November 03, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »

((I almost want to say that new players should start off just with 5, +1/+1 non-chaotic essences. That way they have the ability to cast at least 1 decent spell without giving them the ability to do a 2 turn ritual with each turn being powered by +5/+5 the moment they enter the game. Rituals are meant for the caster to take several turns in preparation in advance so being able to start 1 on the first turn and power it using essences seems slightly overpowered.))
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:01:16 pm by star2wars3 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: November 04, 2016, 08:16:54 am »

((One option would be to have the number of starting essences be proportional to the player's POT stat...))

Doktor Diabolical:

"I've always wanted to say this... STRIKE THE EARTH! Diabolically!"

Doktor Diabolical orders his miner-bot to dig a spiral staircase straight down. While that's happening, he creates(-1) a robotic attack drone(-1 for flying?) that will obey his orders(-1). He uses 2 +1/+1 essences, a +1 CMP essence, and a +1 POT essence on that spell. Afterwards, he makes 2 Robots essences.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: November 04, 2016, 02:26:53 pm »

Make sure he's not going to get back up somehow, and loot those shards.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 199 Not as planned
« Reply #6506 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »

((Yeah, should have made the pollen toxic too.))

Targeting Gambler: Try to shove one of my zombie seeds into his eye or ear. Should I succeed, boost its growth rate. If not, have those roots stuck in my flesh grow out into an armor around me.
Try not to become a seed recepticle, and then force all the glass in the area to (attempt to) shred Shias.

Shias charged towards Gambler, outstretched hand with a seed firmly gripped between his fingers. Gambler mostly got out of the way, but it did not overly matter as Shias attack was deflected by automated force fields. There was some serious trouble doing actual battle within the Tower. Defenses did not seem to react to giving out deadly candy to catatonic mages, but it did take offense to trying to punch people. Shias went for secondary plan and made roots in his flesh restore some of the armor he had before. This one was lighter and wouldn't restrict him, but might still stop a hit or two. Then, things began going strange.

From nearby corridor emerged a figure, it seemed ghastly and bore telltale purple of aether. It looked like aether elemental that was set on fire. It clapped it's hands together and magic spread out from them, melting part of the ghost and parts of the walls. Gambler waved around his hand and chandelier's worth of glass around Shias sped off towards him from all sides. He failed to dodge spectacularly, but glass mostly failed to penetrate the wood armor Shias now wore. Ilium's body exploded in a cloud of blood which coalesced into a shape of a genie before dissipating. Viznor repeated his ghostly wall walking act but only managed to catch Shias with a glancing blow to the head that did next to nothing. No matter how weird this all was and how incompetent his foes were, Shias saw that this wouldn't last. He was outnumbered and at a disadvantage here.

And then walls bent around the pollen spreading flowers, burying them beneath solid aether.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: November 04, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »

((Mass combat just doesn't work. We've seen it with three mages so far(No, Boozemage, and Shias). It's not about to change. You may wish to get the heck out of dodge if you wish to live.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:13 pm »

"Druid, the crime you have attempted is intolerable. You have tried to turn our Tower to death and destruction, and for that I should hunt you to the ends of this world."

"I will, however, grant you an opportunity to redeem yourself. Swear an oath to us, under the name of a god of truth. It will bind you to the tower, to protect and nurture it, and it will prevent more needless violence.

"Should you choose the oath, I will swear to preserve your life, and to grant you power befitting of your role. If you do not, I must kill you. It is not a deed which I take lightly, but I will be your executioner, if duty demands it."

"I am certain a use could be found for your bones."

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: November 04, 2016, 08:23:13 pm »

Khozek suddenly looks like he has had an epiphany.
"Wait, Karnax. Don't answer that question, I have a brilliant and highly dangerous idea.

Attempt to use a human-sized spatial tear to contact myself from the closest alternate dimension,expending my essence in the process.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 506