Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1163980 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 203 The wolf comes
« Reply #6585 on: November 16, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »

"Oh, well, good...
3 hours? Really, are you sure?"

Eh, summon 3 completely random things.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: November 17, 2016, 11:51:03 am »

4 essences.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: November 17, 2016, 02:45:46 pm »

When in doubt, 3 Essences.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: November 17, 2016, 04:45:24 pm »

My computer mouse is dying and I have no idea what I am doing with my time. Is this the stress thing I was warned about?

Turn will come tomorow.

ADDIT:Also, I am rethinking the extra essencess upon entering. It really is not that much of a diference without any early combat. Which is mostly impossible and easy to escape from.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:47:49 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: November 17, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »

"Stand back, Karnax! I'm going to perform science."

Attempt to open a small 'window' in the air infront of me, with the other side ending up in the dimension I previously tried to use to obtain a parrallel copy of myself. This time, the goal is just to sneak a peek of what the dimension looks like while reinforcing it enough to hopefully stop anything from crossing (barring light).
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: November 18, 2016, 07:09:23 pm »

Turn 204

Let's try stabbing him with the dagger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cuberac pulled the dagger off his belt. it was an enchanted artifact for travel but it was also a dagger, and he would use it as so. Cuberac wrestled Blake down and swung down with the dagger with great force. There was a crack at the moment of impact and Cuberac found the dagger stuck. It seemingly stabbed through a rib without completely cracking it. Blake also seemed to suddenly have troubles breathing so the dagger probably reached lung behind the rib. But Blake was not dead yet. With his charred hand he grabbed onto hand of Cuberac and the grip burned. The pain crawled up Cuberac's arm before Blake let go of it. there was a burning rune in the skin where Blake gripped him.

((Well, that's something for me to remember.))

Doktor Diabolical:

"Eh? What in the blazes happened down there?"

Doktor Diabolical sends the lopsided bot down the stairway to investigate what happened. Mainly by seeing what happens to it. After that, he attempts to magically reassemble the digger bot's scrap, and he makes 2 robots essences.

Doktor sent his lopsided drone towards the hole in the ground. It flew off over the pit, hung there for a moment, then an orange limb grabbed it by the lower propeler and dragged it down and out of sight. This would require some thinking about, especially if Doktor wanted to keep the stairs in the hole. For now he atempted to fix the remains of the mining bot but it just twitched about and spat sparks as shortouts raked it.

Filtiarn

Place a totem here, another next to tower of wizards (with +1/+1 essence), and move one hex south east towards that weird purple hex.

Filtiarn placed down his first totem on this land. It was shaby and wouldn't last, but it might hold out enough to kickstart the rest. Next totem Filtiarn placed next to the cursed Tower. He wished to go inside, to find his enemy, to... No. It was not the time yet, he left and went southeast.

Redrum examined the beast's remains with glee. Once raised, it would make a pet fit for a deathlord.

Animate the hydra corpse using [two +1POT] and [two +1CMP] essences. Craft 3 new essences afterwards.

Redrum could had woven a cocoon of necromancy around the bones to bind and move them. He could had puppeteer the corpse with some more subtle spells. He went for the quick and dirty approach and just blasted the skeleton with necromantic energies. Three of five heads began moving about, with only a slight clacking of bones they rose from the mud. Then, one of the heads noticed the zombie shoveling dirt off the rest of the bones. It bit down onto right shoulder of the zombie, as it's instincts guided it. Other two heads soon followed to see what the commotion was about. There was a bit of an argument between them and zombie was soon torn into three parts, with fourth part consisting of rotten guts spilling on the ground beneath.

"Quill... To write my name into history or to strike it out? Lets see."

Take the quill. Experiment a bit in writing if it does not reveal its purpose immediately. If unharmed, continue tower exploration + 4 essences.

Ao wrote down some random words, some random phrases some random symbols. None of that seemed to do anything, so he just pocketed the quill and left. He left the room and moved on through the Tower again. Behind a door with a lotus carved onto it he found a garden crafted entirely from marble. The only thing alive was lotus flowers blooming in the pond in the center. As he gazed into the pool Ao Saw and Understood. When he blinked, the room had disappeared, replaced by same purple aether he was getting used to by now. But the Insight remained.

{Celestial empowerment upgraded to Celestial Insight. In addition to giving +1 to a roll, it will also reroll once for each Celestial Insight used if 1 is rolled.}

"Oh, well, good...
3 hours? Really, are you sure?"

Eh, summon 3 completely random things.

James rethought his sense off time. A lot had happened since his arrival here, but it really hadn't taken all that long to happen, did it? Death of the world is something that sticks in the mind though, and all the fighting also felt longer than it actually was. He put that aside for now and conjured some random objects. A furry handkerchief, well padded chair and a scrap of burning paper appeared from thin air.

4 essences.

Gambler meditated. There was not much to do now but wait for next interesting thing to happen. Such things happened often enough around here that he did not expect to wait for long and made good use of the reprieve he had.

When in doubt, 3 Essences.

Magus N.A. rose from the floor. Wounds he got from violent reverting from aether form had almost entirely healed. That was not an experience he'd want to repeat, silencing elemental forms was dangerous.

"Stand back, Karnax! I'm going to perform science."

Attempt to open a small 'window' in the air infront of me, with the other side ending up in the dimension I previously tried to use to obtain a parrallel copy of myself. This time, the goal is just to sneak a peek of what the dimension looks like while reinforcing it enough to hopefully stop anything from crossing (barring light).

Khozek pulled up his sleeves and cast again. Portal shimmered into life, showing a field much like this one, with another Khozek looking back. It was like a mirror reflection, and while it vanished after a second, it was a success.

I am ready as well. Let's get this ritual kicked off! But quick question: Are you okay with me using chaotic essences? I find a bit of chaos can make for a very useful spell!

Begin twincasting a ritual with Skelliborn. Goal: create a measure of liquid metal to fill the capped-off pipe I've prepared, which should remain within the pipe until the wielder wills it to spill forth, at which point it will flow out into the shape of a sharp solidified blade, holding that form and remaining attached to the end of the pipe until the wielder commands the liquid to return to its container. The liquid should be very resilient when in blade form, be able to assimilate itself back into the greater mass should a part of the blade be sundered, and be able to form different blade shapes as the wielder wills it, assuming there is enough liquid to physically create such a shape.

Sacrifices: bottle of liquid stone, bottle of melted forks, steel knife.
Foci: the capped-off pipe, the forge.
Essences for this turn: three +1/+1, one +1 POT.

((Is it possible to change the plan a bit before the ritual ends? Like, decide partway through to cast a slightly different spell in the end?))
Assist in the ritual. (No need to add essences this turn though since we're in the tower)

{Don't know if you knew this but Skeliborn can also add sacrifices(up to three). I'll allow him to add on next turn this time only}

Chorkinaan and Skeliborn set up a ritual circle and began pouring power into it. Form shaped up almost instantly, and it took power greedily. But there were dangers despite early successes, as one of sacrifices crumbled into ash almost instantly.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:36:52 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 204 Traps and Treasures
« Reply #6591 on: November 18, 2016, 07:10:28 pm »

PM's will come in ~12 hours, next turn will come on Monday.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: November 18, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »

Try to remove the dagger, now. Blink back when I have it out.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »

{Don't know if you knew this but Skeliborn can also add sacrifices(up to three). I'll allow him to add on next turn this time only}
((I had always assumed that the way that rituals worked was that each turn of the ritual you could only sacrifice 1 object per turn and that you decided on a turn to turn basis what you would add if anything. (up to the max 3 objects per a mage per ritual)))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »

((From the OP:

How they work:
1)Wizard begins casting a ritual, specifying the intended effect and ritual sacrifices(items).
2)CMP and POT are rolled, essence boosting is allowed. On CMP 1 the ritual fails. On CMP 6 the ritual fires off early. Either effect can be avoided by burning one of the ritual sacrifices. POT is pooled.
3)Repeat 2 until wizard decides the ritual is powered enough.
4)Ritual fires off, remaining sacrifices are destroyed adding 2 POT per sacrifice.

Limits: 3 sacrifices per wizard, sacrifices have to be related to the effect of the ritual, all sacrifices have to be diferent.

Difficult to properly quote it on a phone. Anyway, the sacrifices automagically destruct to prevent bad effects. Though with the lack of public rituals to use as a basis, it might have been confusing to recognize that. Granted, DG may have something to add or correct, but these are the rules as they have been since rituals were added.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: November 19, 2016, 01:09:08 am »

Filtiarn

Place a totem here, another next to tower of wizards (with +1/+1 essence), and move one hex south east towards that weird purple hex.

Filtiarn placed down his first totem on this land. It was shaby and wouldn't last, but it might hold out enough to kickstart the rest. Next totem Filtiarn placed next to the cursed Tower. He wished to go inside, to find his enemy, to... No. It was not the time yet, he left and went north.

GM: North? I said southeast, didn't I? Pretty sure I did. One hex southeast, not two north.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: November 19, 2016, 07:35:03 am »

Filtiarn

Filtiarn placed down his first totem on this land. It was shaby and wouldn't last, but it might hold out enough to kickstart the rest. Next totem Filtiarn placed next to the cursed Tower. He wished to go inside, to find his enemy, to... No. It was not the time yet, he left and went north.

GM: North? I said southeast, didn't I? Pretty sure I did. One hex southeast, not two north.

I somehow saw that as "move to the purple hex" and the only purple hexes in my mind are the eldritch lands in the north. Completely forgot that under all the dust ornaments there is purple in the southeast. Fixed.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: November 19, 2016, 08:02:36 am »

Filtiarn
Make three essences and carefully observe this area.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:53:33 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: November 19, 2016, 10:15:58 am »

((I'm a little bit confused with the rolls here. The rules state that something bad happens which can be averted by burning a sacrifice at a roll of cmp 1 or cmp 6, but it says nothing about pot. There were no base rolls that fit that criteria, but bonuses boosted the cmp over 5 and skelliborn's base pot roll was 6. Does this mean that cmp bonuses that boost it to 6 or above are bad, or do pot rolls of 6 also cause issues? It doesn't say so in the rules.))
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: November 19, 2016, 10:55:21 am »

((I'm a little bit confused with the rolls here. The rules state that something bad happens which can be averted by burning a sacrifice at a roll of cmp 1 or cmp 6, but it says nothing about pot. There were no base rolls that fit that criteria, but bonuses boosted the cmp over 5 and skelliborn's base pot roll was 6. Does this mean that cmp bonuses that boost it to 6 or above are bad, or do pot rolls of 6 also cause issues? It doesn't say so in the rules.))

Only the base roll counts for sacrifice burn/ritual break. POT does not cause issues on it's own, but if POT is more than CMP, the difference is treated as chaotic POT, which may add details of it's own that are still useful, but maybe not exactly what you wanted.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 506