Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1177645 times)

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 213 What is a sword?
« Reply #6795 on: January 09, 2017, 11:52:49 am »

Ah ha! I see! This sword is able to move and deform as such because it lacks a state of matter; it is... No, colloid means it consists of multiple states... It is a subcolloid! Yes, that seems a fitting name. It lacks a state of matter, therefore it is unbound by the traditional laws of adhesion, cohesion and molecular structure! If I can recreate this... subcolloidal state, I should be able to create incredible tools which constantly deform and reform into the perfectly ideal shape for the task at hand. Imagine, armor that perfectly blocks every incoming blow, an arrow that snakes through the air into its target! The possibilities are endless!

Anyway, Viznor, I still do not know exactly how to re-create this blade's material, but you have given me a vast revelation. If that is the extent of your services, I believe I am ready to hear out your request.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:43 pm »

Head back to the geysers.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »

Summon 10 Sacrificial Blades (Massive -3 {Thats how I'm getting the 10 swords instead of just 1})

Use 5: +1cmp essences
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:53:17 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: January 09, 2017, 11:44:24 pm »

Ah ha! I see! This sword is able to move and deform as such because it lacks a state of matter; it is... No, colloid means it consists of multiple states... It is a subcolloid! Yes, that seems a fitting name. It lacks a state of matter, therefore it is unbound by the traditional laws of adhesion, cohesion and molecular structure! If I can recreate this... subcolloidal state, I should be able to create incredible tools which constantly deform and reform into the perfectly ideal shape for the task at hand. Imagine, armor that perfectly blocks every incoming blow, an arrow that snakes through the air into its target! The possibilities are endless!

Anyway, Viznor, I still do not know exactly how to re-create this blade's material, but you have given me a vast revelation. If that is the extent of your services, I believe I am ready to hear out your request.

"Such a material is intriguing, even to a seer such as myself. It makes one wonder about the missing pieces, the steps which have not yet been found. Perhaps a nature is added, to give the object comparatively tame rules with which to comply? A blade worthy of a king, or a mandate to strike twice?"

"I feel that it is right to delve further, though now may not be the proper moment. I have much to attend to, and little time with which to do so. However, when that moment does come, I will gladly reveal my findings. Perhaps they could be used in a spell to benefit the both of us, though that is by no means a demand."

------------------

((I'm just going to describe the plan OOC, since wording it for Viznor would be a nightmare.

So, basically, your role in this is to make a chain which is able to manipulate or move itself in any way that I tell it to. That's the only weird property, but I'd like it to be as strong and as versatile as possible. IE, going far beyond the mobile modifier. Maybe use a tinge of the info we got from royalty to get there?

I'm going to use knowledge to make it controlled freely and telepathically, and binding to make it restrict magic like a silence spell. End result should hopefully be a mobile-on-steroids chain which binds both magically and physically.

How does that sound to you?))

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:21 am »

(Words words words words words)

Chorkinaan listened intently to Viznor's speech, idly picking out important details and compressing the fine prose into a more simple format, one he wouldn't need an hour-long poetry review to parse. By the time Viznor had finished talking, Chorkinaan had six sentances of a simplified request for a complex artifact ready for his reply.

Why yes, certainly! Such an artifact would be a wonderful test for the process of creating subcolloids. However, might I recommend a cord as opposed to a chain? A cord composed of the same amount of material would have a much greater tensile strength - that is to say, be much harder to break by pulling on it - and have a greater length; its being a subcolloid would likely mean it can form rigid sections as well, which would behave extremely similarly to links of a chain. Either way, I'd be glad to create such an item for you.

In other news, though, my head's rushing with ideas and I may return to you for help with one of them some time soon. I hope to be able to pay you in shards when the time comes, but knowing T.O.A.M.'s policy on murder, fat chance.

Viznor appeared to be carefully considering his next words. Chorkinaan prepared to make 3 essences, you know, in case Viznor took longer than expected to think it over.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:49:15 pm by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: January 10, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »

Easter Sunday looks at his new creation with joy. He orders the queen to start laying eggs.

((Can I make essence in my current state?))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: January 10, 2017, 09:31:32 pm »

Summon a glass needle bearing an imprint of (a copy of) the debilitating misfortune that the failed essence inflicted, using 2 +1/+1 essences.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: January 11, 2017, 08:50:18 pm »

4 more essences
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: January 11, 2017, 11:41:34 pm »

Chorkinaan listened intently to Viznor's speech, idly picking out important details and compressing the fine prose into a more simple format, one he wouldn't need an hour-long poetry review to parse. By the time Viznor had finished talking, Chorkinaan had six sentances of a simplified request for a complex artifact ready for his reply.

Why yes, certainly! Such an artifact would be a wonderful test for the process of creating subcolloids. However, might I recommend a cord as opposed to a chain? A cord composed of the same amount of material would have a much greater tensile strength - that is to say, be much harder to break by pulling on it - and have a greater length; its being a subcolloid would likely mean it can form rigid sections as well, which would behave extremely similarly to links of a chain. Either way, I'd be glad to create such an item for you.

In other news, though, my head's rushing with ideas and I may return to you for help with one of them some time soon. I hope to be able to pay you in shards when the time comes, but knowing T.O.A.M.'s policy on murder, fat chance.

Viznor appeared to be carefully considering his next words. Chorkinaan prepared to make 3 essences, you know, in case Viznor took longer than expected to think it over.

"That seems quite sensible."

"Shards are not a necessity. I am quite content with an exchange of spells or assistance, and my cloak is capable of receiving and storing essences made by other mages for my own use."

As usual, use the yes/no book to make sure that everyone involved is being honest and that nobody will mess with the spell, myself included. Then we can get down to business.

Firstly, the base object. Use the knowledge we have gleaned from royalty's creation to create a subcolloid cord which can freely manipulate its own shape, and may move in whatever direction or way it pleases.

Now for Viznor's stuff. Forge a knowledge system which will both control the cord's abilities and subcolloid properties and magically listen to and obey my mind, allowing me to control it at will. Secondly, infuse the whole thing with a binding designed to restrain the magic of anything that becomes entangled, silencing it until the cord is removed.

End result: A subcolloid cord which is designed specifically for extreme mobility and flexibility, controlled at-will through mental commands, and silences things it entangles.

Use two knowledge essences +1 POT, two knowledge essences +1 CMP, three knowledge essences +1+1, and lesser blood power (+1+1). I'm going to ask that Chorkinaan use essences that add up to at least +3+3, since that's what I expended on his spell, but I don't particularly care how he divvies that up.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:48 pm »

"Shards are not a necessity. I am quite content with an exchange of spells or assistance, and my cloak is capable of receiving and storing essences made by other mages for my own use."

As usual, use the yes/no book to make sure that everyone involved is being honest and that nobody will mess with the spell, myself included. Then we can get down to business.

Firstly, the base object. Use the knowledge we have gleaned from royalty's creation to create a subcolloid cord which can freely manipulate its own shape, and may move in whatever direction or way it pleases.

Now for Viznor's stuff. Forge a knowledge system which will both control the cord's abilities and subcolloid properties and magically listen to and obey my mind, allowing me to control it at will. Secondly, infuse the whole thing with a binding designed to restrain the magic of anything that becomes entangled, silencing it until the cord is removed.

End result: A subcolloid cord which is designed specifically for extreme mobility and flexibility, controlled at-will through mental commands, and silences things it entangles.

Use two knowledge essences +1 POT, two knowledge essences +1 CMP, three knowledge essences +1+1, and lesser blood power (+1+1). I'm going to ask that Chorkinaan use essences that add up to at least +3+3, since that's what I expended on his spell, but I don't particularly care how he divvies that up.

Take part in this combined spell. 4 +1/+1 essences.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:50:55 pm by ironsnake345 »

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: January 12, 2017, 04:28:17 pm »

Make 2 essences.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: January 13, 2017, 12:15:17 am »

Ao slowly shook his head:

"Well, simply pondering on the nature of the door will get me nowhere. Should I experiment some more or leave it for better times?"

Glancing at his still-regrowing finger, mage signed. The interest was great, but so was the possible danger. He'll leave this door intact... For now. Until he gets power or understanding to see what's stored beyound its stone surface.

Remember door placing. Continue exploration while crafting 4 essences.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: January 13, 2017, 10:29:30 pm »

Turn 214

Three more Essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magus continues his meditation.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Hazards of the job, I guess. *Sigh* Well, at least I'm making progress."

Doktor Diabolical creates(-1) some robot parts tuned to transmutation(meaning they'll be better for making a robot with the ability to transmute things)(-?) using his chaotic +1/+1 essence and a ordinary +1/+1 essence. Afterwards, he makes 2 robots essences.

Doktor conjured forth a pile of parts for a future factory bot. There was some good stuff in it, enough to make basically any kind of constructor. It would still need raw materials to make anything though, no matter generators in the pile. Automation! He was so close now.

Head back to the geysers.

Cuberac left the tower and returned to the geysers. He moved close to a particularly geyser rich plot The familiar stench of sulfur engulfed him. One of the geyser pools was glowing red, but otherwise the place was unchanged.

Summon 10 Sacrificial Blades (Massive -3 {Thats how I'm getting the 10 swords instead of just 1})

Use 5: +1cmp essences

{I believe the modifier you are looking for is "cluster"}

Skeliborn, deciding that he was not quite overburdened enough, conjured ten more blades. They were sharp, but brittle and would likely shatter swiftly if used in combat. It was good that he wasn't going to use them in combat, they were for use as expendables only.

Easter Sunday looks at his new creation with joy. He orders the queen to start laying eggs.

((Can I make essence in my current state?))

{*rolls* No, you are completely out of it}

While Easter was busy trying to overcome toxic shock, the queen he had summoned began making nest. It coughed up some goo and formed few cells out of it, and then carefully laid an egg in each of them.

Summon a glass needle bearing an imprint of (a copy of) the debilitating misfortune that the failed essence inflicted, using 2 +1/+1 essences.

Gambler carefully looked over the glass needle held tightly between two fingers. On the very tip, almost invisible to the eye, there was something akin to fog. It was a curse of sorts, if the needle penetrated skin it would instantly cause the worst possible chance to occur. This was not to be handled lightly.

{Needle of misfortune (1 use). On impact, next LUCK roll is automatically 1, if no LUCK rolls happen, one happens at the end of turn.}

4 more essences

Seva mostly finished regenerating and the wall was as good as before. The marks disappeared but the memory remained. Ritual safety rules were not like most other rules, which were mostly suggestions. It was a really good idea to listen to these.

Make 2 essences.

Redrum continued conjuring more power while looking at the strange ooze he had accidentally conjured. It had finished what few bits of zombie it could find and began melting dead roots. it was doing some decent progress there, in a few months there won't be a root left in this swamp.

Ao slowly shook his head:

"Well, simply pondering on the nature of the door will get me nowhere. Should I experiment some more or leave it for better times?"

Glancing at his still-regrowing finger, mage signed. The interest was great, but so was the possible danger. He'll leave this door intact... For now. Until he gets power or understanding to see what's stored beyound its stone surface.

Remember door placing. Continue exploration while crafting 4 essences.

Ao began turning away from the door, but something strange caught his eye. There was something red on the door. The redness increased and to Ao it looked a lot like blood. He decided to do what any wizard would do in such a situation, i.e. poke with a finger. He didin't quite mange it, as he wisely retracted the finger when blood surged from the wall towards him. It began congealing in a figure, a humanoid figure, and whn last of the blood left the door and joined the figure, it changed, became more defined. Soon Ao saw that he was looking at a copy of himself. The copy spoke.

"This door is nothing but a meaningless reflection of a tangible reality. Its true form lies elsewhere."

Having said that, the blood figure vanished. From the left wall walked out another figure. It seemed to be a mannequin wearing clothes of a butler and carrying a piece of clean cloth. Using the cloth, it wiped off the stone door as if it was just some elaborate painting and left through now revealed purple wall.  As if this wasn't enough, there was something strange happening at Ao's feet. There was a trail of blood leading to a piece of paper. when Ao looked at the paper, he saw an ink sketch of the door, which soon vanished, replaced by writing. It read "Limui's power lies beyond". The writing too, soon vanished, replaced by a painted compass that somehow kept it's arrow pointing north.

Take part in this combined spell. 4 +1/+1 essences.

{What is "subcolloid"?}

It was a very complicated spell, pushing on the borders of knowledge for both mages. There was not quite enough power to replicate full effects of Royalty, but there was enough to achieve what Viznor wanted. The cord coiled like a snake as it was being forged, whipping out at the walls, covering them momentarily with tiny blue letters where it struck. It bent at angles that would be impossible to any actual cord of such thickness, but as the spell finished it calmed, falling to the ground, looking as some entirely unassuming steel cord. With the rush of magic gone, Viznor began thinking about a practical problem that he had missed before, namely, how to carry this without silencing himself, but that could wait. Everything could wait until this blinding headache passed.

{Viznor: Blinding headache 2 turns, can't cast}
{Ethereal string: Controllable by thought, silences on touch, dimensions are negotiable.}

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 214 Plagiarism is flattery
« Reply #6808 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:48 pm »

Why yes brain, five hour nap when I'm kinda late on getting stuff done is great idea.
PM's come tomorrow.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 214 Plagiarism is flattery
« Reply #6809 on: January 13, 2017, 11:52:04 pm »

((Out of curiosity, is Mista J's clone mucking around in the castle still?))

Doktor Diabolical:

"It will not be long now... MWAHAHAHA!"

The ideal factory-bot has three main components: transmutation, part fabrication, and assembly. Though Doktor Diabolical's intent was to create the transmutation component, he instead created the assembly component. No matter. Using a +1/+1 essence and a +1/+2 essence, Doktor Diabolical assembles the recently created parts(0 because using materials) into a robot assembly(-1?) robot that obeys his orders(-1).

Afterwards, he uses 2 +1/+1 essences to assemble(0) the pile of generic parts into a scout drone(0 or -1) that obeys his orders(-1) and sends it to investigate the corpse of the totem guy who committed suicide up north.

((Doktor's master plan, you say? No, I'm not telling you that, though I will tell you some rejected plans...
1. Magical Borg.
2. Convert the platypus or whatever it is on now into a robot.
3. Creating an anti-god weapon, then fabricate shards, killing the gods that try to interfere and taking the shards from them.
The plan Doktor's using is a bit more feasible and sane.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 506