Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeling sorry for goblins  (Read 1217 times)

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feeling sorry for goblins
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »

So I was looking at legends mode and found the saddest goblin civilization ever.

In 398, late winter, The Devils of Insight  defeated The Vileness of Darkness  and pillaged Ignobleweird. In The 630th Pillaging of Ignobleweird as a result of The Barbarous Onslaughts as part of The Bloody Conflict.

In 398, midautumn, The Skirt of Loving  defeated The Vileness of Darkness  and pillaged Obeisanceplagued. In The 563rd Pillaging of Obeisanceplagued as a result of The Siege of Cobras as part of The Stormy Wars.

And so on.  Overall they have won 5 battles and lost about 5000 during 15 wars.  Each of their sites have been pillaged hundreds of times.  They are presently embroiled in 3 wars (each lasting over 150 years) and have lost over 1000 battles in each, and over 11000 goblins.  They have 96 remaining...

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling sorry for goblins
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »

They are one of the weakest civilizations now, the orcs surpassing them in everything. I recall there was an idea to add various demonic-related things to them and turn them into a playable civ, that seems to have branched off into the "succubus" race though.

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:33 am »

Playable babysnatchers doesn't sound terribly feasible until we get a more workable way of handling multi-racial civs (you could invoke an orc-like hack with tool-slaves, but that doesn't fit in well with the baby stealing aspect).  Maybe it'll be feasible in the new DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:04:48 am »

If mifki adds creature overrides to the twbt plugin, I could do multi-racial forts. Currently the graphics are the issue, but I could fake a multi-race fort and the player wouldnt see the difference, with that plugin.

If true multirace forts can be done, even better. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:36:42 pm »

Goblins always seem to alternate between "Most pathetic" and  "Most terrifying" for my world gens. Sometimes they kick ass and take names (as well as childrens) and other times they end up as you described: One or two wars and they end up with thier shit pushed in.

Personally a mix of different goblins does sound nice to me. Near blind cave goblins would probably make awesome miners for them for example, night goblin archers, normal goblin fodder/jack of all trades, hobgoblins (slightly smaller than a base orc) for soldiers and leaders... Might actually even give them a fighting chance now and then with some variety to their forces.

Hotawotwot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:23 am »

If mifki adds creature overrides to the twbt plugin, I could do multi-racial forts. Currently the graphics are the issue, but I could fake a multi-race fort and the player wouldnt see the difference, with that plugin.

If true multirace forts can be done, even better. :D
Would true multirace forts alleviate a lot of the Warlock caste headaches and make Insects potentially easier to make?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:11 am »

Yes, of course. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::